Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
receder Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
I have now installed BIAB on my laptop for use when I'm away from my main PC. It's a fairly low spec laptop but seems to run BIAB ok.

However, I have a couple of issues:

A. I have installed the Hi-Q instruments/Sampletank 2.5 although for some reason it gives no installation options and installs the DX plugin but not the VSTi one. So I have had to configure BIAB to use the DX Sampletank plugin. Does anyone know how I get it to install the VSTi plugin? It installed on my main PC (altho I already had ST2.5 and now have ST3 anyway). I have tried copying the Sampletank2x.dll over to my laptop from the main PC but I get a registry error when I run the VST plugin. It clearly needs to be installed when ST2.5 is installed. So for now I am forced to use the DX Sampletank plugin, which leads on to the next issue...

B. When I select *M_POPFLT.STY I get an error message

c:\bb\DX Settings\Hi-Q 074 02 Keyboard, Electrotape, Flutes Sampletank.tgs does not exist, cannot install to Track:synth

When I look at that folder there is a big gap from Hi-Q 050 to Hi-Q 078 i.e. no files present. Is this how everyone else's folder looks or is something missing and if so how do I get the missing files back? It's the same on my main PC btw but I don't use DX plugins there.

I have the EverythingPAK updated to version 414 and 49PAK by the way.

Thanks in advance,
Rec

P.S. Happy New Year to all BIABers and PG Music!

Last edited by receder; 01/01/15 11:17 AM.

BIAB 2022 UltraPAK, CbB, Studio One 5 Pro, Fender USA Tele, Harley Benton Fusion & others.
Veteran
Veteran
I may be misunderstanding the full details of what you did on your laptop, it sounds like you did NOT install Sampletank?

Before we address your HI-q issue you will need to fully install at least the free Sampletank 2.5, if not your commercial one if you own it, on the laptop, as well as desktop.

If you have installed, well then it's a matter of FINDING where the VSTi was installed (it is there).

Unlike some VSTs and VSTi's you can’t simply copy the " SampleTank2.x.dll" (the VSTi) to your Laptop and expect it to work: it won’t. Because it will look for other information (.vpa files, etc.) at launch that information is only there if program has been installed and is correct/authorized.

When you install SampleTank 2 it installs the DXi's to it's directory then updates registry for DXIs. Normally it ASKS you where you want the VST located or may go to your "uber" default VST/VSTi location. However, there really is no "standard" location - I can't tell you where to look because I don’t remember and - I have very NON standard installs on completely different drives than "C")

Some programs "default to" c:\Program Files (86)\VST's

Some programs "default to" c:\Program Files (86)\VstPlugIns

Some default to c:\Program Files (86)\ Steinberg\

Some just install to last place you installed OTHER VST's

But wherever it is on your Desktop install, it will (should) be be in the same place on your Laptop install

Once SampleTank is properly installed then you need to have BIAB (and RB) go find it - see this thread: (since BIAB and RB only "find" DX and DXi's by default - you have to tell BIAB/RB where each VST/VSTI is that you want to use)

http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=276568#Post276568

as far as HI-Q see this thread:

http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=277445#Post277445

Good Luck
Larry

Win10Pro,i9,64GB,2TBSSD+20TBHDDs,1080TI,BIAB'24,Scarlett18i8,Montage7,Fusion 8HD,QS8,Integra7,XV5080,QSR,SC-8850,SPLAT,FL21&others,Komp.14,IK suite&others, just a guitar player-AXE FX III &FM9T, FishmanTP, MIDIGuitar2, GK2/3'sw/GI20
receder Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Hi Larry,

Thanks for your suggestions. Apologies if I didn't make it clear...

- I DID install Hi-Q and Sampletank on my Laptop - the VSTi is nowhere to be found (I am used to hunting for it on previous systems). It is both installed and authorised using Authorisation Manager. I also expected the Hi-Q installation program to ask me which plugins to install but it just went ahead and installed only the DXi one without giving me the option. I have searched for the VSTi on the entire C drive Sampletank*.dll (and various other permutations) without any luck. It's also not in the same location as my desktop PC. I can run ST2.5 standalone on my laptop and it runs ok (although the sounds are distorted - maybe due to the DXi plugin which I never normally use).

Thanks also for the links to the other threads. I have found with the desktop PC that there is some anomaly/confusion about where the ST2.5 Instruments folder is installed (different locations for the version 2.54 that I already had installed prior to BIAB and the one installed by the BIAB Hi-Q installer with the Band-In-A-Box sub folder)! BIAB itself even seems to get confused as I got an error message for some styles using Hi-Q instruments saying that the instruments folder was incorrect so when I corrected it in ST2.5 I then get errors in other styles saying it should be where I moved it from, lol!! It's almost as if different parts of BIAB refer to different locations for the Hi-Q Instruments folder.

Of course the main thing I forgot to say was that the Laptop is running Windows 8.1 and the main PC Windows 7.

Thanks again for your help.

Rec

Last edited by receder; 01/02/15 04:49 AM.

BIAB 2022 UltraPAK, CbB, Studio One 5 Pro, Fender USA Tele, Harley Benton Fusion & others.
Veteran
Veteran
FWIW, yes my folder has the same gaps from 50-78 currently, but since I don't often use the synth in question I haven't made sure to install all updates to it ..
or even checked the location it is looking to for the list.
That whole folder location thing turned me off on it; even libraries from Sampletank have installed in different directories .. which makes me think it may be something BB has to adapt to, as opposed to being the cause of.
By that I mean downloads from Sampletank themselves have previously installed where they had to all be relocated to work with the other sounds I had. And this was before BB supported it, so I'm not sure BB is the cause, but rather trying to keep things simple for us.. without any knowledge of where we have things currently.

Last edited by rharv; 01/02/15 03:04 PM.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: receder
Hi Larry,

.... I also expected the Hi-Q installation program to ask me which plugins to install but it just went ahead and installed only the DXi one without giving me the option. ....
Rec

There is (to my reading of these various threads) confusion over HI-Q "the instruments," and SampleTank the application.

First, when HI-Q instruments are installed there is nothing to ask the user about where to install the Sampletank DXi, or even VSTi, because - it is not installing SampleTank - it is ONLY installing the HI-Q instruments (i.e., the sound sets).

PG supplied Hi-Q instruments are just that, instruments. A collection of samples with constructs to make them appear as a whole individual instrument. While they can only be played in SampleTank they ARE NOT part of Sampletank itself.

These Hi-Q sound sets when invoked within BIAB and by BIAB (i.e., excluding case where you manually insert/force ST DXi/VSTi to load one) cause BIAB to ALWAYS and ONLY "call up" the SampleTank DXi NOT the SampleTank VSTi. But you must still install (separately from the HI-Q install) the SampleTank DXi synth for them to work.

However, when YOU DO install the SampleTank DXi, which is selectable during the BIAB install - it is a check box install item (along with "Free Bonus," and "User Tracks sample files," and "IK Multimedia Authorization Manager," and about a dozen other install selection items) the DXi, being Direct X, can only install as the dictates of DirectX as mandated by MS (DirectX is a set of API's developed by MS after all) allow - and the rules on where these DirectX files are placed and what goes into the registry is, well I would think sort of defined by MS, not PG or IK MM.

Finally, I've re-looked at the supplied BIAB/RB full installer: it appears to ONLY install the SampleTank DXi synth- NOT the VSTi (or the standalone exe). It looks like if you want, or need,,the VSTi version (and I HIGHLY recommend it) you will have to get/use the SampleTank Free installer (or use your copy of your full up, paid for, version if you own it) and install it if you have not already. And on your laptop it sounds like you haven’t?

Even for JUST the DXi part of SampleTank to work you need to run the IK Authorization Manager - so just because the Authorization Manager ran and authorized doesn't mean you HAVE the VSTi installed.

Larry

Last edited by Larry Kehl; 01/03/15 07:27 AM.

Win10Pro,i9,64GB,2TBSSD+20TBHDDs,1080TI,BIAB'24,Scarlett18i8,Montage7,Fusion 8HD,QS8,Integra7,XV5080,QSR,SC-8850,SPLAT,FL21&others,Komp.14,IK suite&others, just a guitar player-AXE FX III &FM9T, FishmanTP, MIDIGuitar2, GK2/3'sw/GI20
receder Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Thanks Larry for all your efforts.

I am aware of most of what you are saying and I think it also explains the situation with the laptop.

On my desktop PC: I am a long time user of SampleTank 2.5 XT (hereafter ST2.5) which was included with some of the XpansionTank modules I purchased from IK. I used it with Sonar X3 Producer long before I bought BIAB and I have always used VSTi plugins only. I purchased BIAB Pro initially at the start of December 2014 and it installed OK and subsequently the EveryThingPAK upgrade mid December which I installed over the top of BIAB Pro as instructed by PG. I am pretty sure that when I installed BIAB Pro I deselected things I already had installed on the BIAB install options (Sampletank 2.5, Amplitube but not Hi-Q Instruments) to avoid issues with existing installations. So I assume that the reason I have the ST2.5 VSTi plugin on my desktop PC is because it came with the version I already had installed prior to installing BIAB. As you state, my latter assumption that the Hi-Q Instruments installer included the ST2.5 VSTi plugin was incorrect and that is why my laptop only has the DXi version.

On my laptop PC: I have only recently purchased it and it has little software on it other than BIAB. The intention was to use it to continue composing when away from my main PC and in the comfort of my sofa/lounge. To cut a long story short I should be able to get the VSTi onto it by installing the ST2.5 XT installer I downloaded ages ago from IK.

I'll see if this works and let you know. Thanks again for the information both here and in the other threads where you have contributed on this subject.

Rec

receder Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Originally Posted By: rharv
FWIW, yes my folder has the same gaps from 50-78 currently, but since I don't often use the synth in question I haven't made sure to install all updates to it ..
or even checked the location it is looking to for the list.
That whole folder location thing turned me off on it; even libraries from Sampletank have installed in different directories .. which makes me think it may be something BB has to adapt to, as opposed to being the cause of.
By that I mean downloads from Sampletank themselves have previously installed where they had to all be relocated to work with the other sounds I had. And this was before BB supported it, so I'm not sure BB is the cause, but rather trying to keep things simple for us.. without any knowledge of where we have things currently.

Thanks rharv for confirming that. I know exactly what you mean re the folder thing and it actually caused me problems initially when I installed BIAB (I already had ST2.5 installed but had moved the sound libraries to a larger non-boot drive). I know it's something that Andrew is aiming to improve in a future patch. I have also hated the UI for ST2.5 for a long time but lived with it because of the great and relatively affordable XpansionTank libraries available for it. I have now upgraded to the full version of ST3 and I look forward to PG integrating this into BIAB as soon as possible (it's something Andrew said they are looking at).

The ST3 full and SE versions both allow importing of existing sample libraries which I have done for my Xpansiontank libraries so the only reason I have ST2.5 on my system is for BIAB (which I believe still has some hard coded ST2.5 patches in it).

Rec

Last edited by receder; 01/03/15 08:48 AM.

receder Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Update: Installed ST 2.5 XT on the laptop and this installed the VSTi plugin. Sorted. Thanks again Larry for your assistance.

Incidentally, I am still getting the error message mentioned at B in the first post but at least Hi-Q sounds are now working including on the track with the error message. Also, the error message actually refers to SuperMIDI track 2465 so why would this generate an error referring to Sampletank?

Veteran
Veteran
Well after all that beating you up you grin your item B is very valid, sorry I missed it earlier.

The Missing "Hi-Q 074 02 Keyboard, Electrotape, Flutes Sampletank.tgs" is very repeatable - because, well that TGS DOES NOT exist nor do the required and corresponding STI, STW, STIP files that actually would make that sound (which is obviously going for a Mellotron flute sound)

MAYBE PG was going to included that HI-Q sound in one of the bonus paks, or as an add-on HI-Q set (and I have all the sets and all bonus paks) but it is simply not there.

So either the style is incorrect or we are all missing a HI-Q sound

This one need reported to PG (it's minor but …)

UPDATE: I just sent them an email

Larry

Last edited by Larry Kehl; 01/03/15 02:19 PM.

receder Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Thanks Larry, I didn't think you beat me up too much really, lol :P

At least the error is a repeatable problem although minor as you say. I'm sure PG will sort it out in a future patch. Thanks for reporting it to PG.

Rec

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,620
Posts735,183
Members38,518
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
vasilich, maxrob61, TonyInManchester, jslynbrrs01, amdwilsns01
38,517 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 185