Go To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#279835 01/13/15 12:48 PM
Off-Topic
jford Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I know lots of folks here use Sonar to process their BIAB creations.

There is a new Sonar version, seemingly without the Sonar X designation: Sonar Platinum, Sonar Professional, and Sonar Artist.

There is upgrade pricing; however, it seems to me that the price from Sonar Producer to Sonar Platinum is steep to get a lot of what you've already got. Kind of weird also that there is upgrade pricing from Producer to Artist/Professional, which seems more sort of like downgrade.

They also offer a monthly membership fee rather than paying upfront.

They completely dropped the "X" designation and there will be no Sonar X4. SONAR X4 Studio is now SONAR Professional. SONAR X4 Producer is now SONAR Platinum.

You can see all this at the Cakewalk site.

Last edited by jford; 01/13/15 12:58 PM.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I bought the last few upgrades and haven't used it once since sonar pro audio 6

Ol' Pat man will probably sit out this dance.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Ditto. I have all I need with versions 6 thru 8.5 ...

smile

Cheers,
Mike

My Music * Asus ROG Strix G15CF 32 GB DDR4 4TB HDD + 1 TB SSD NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 8GB Win 11 AKAI EIE PRO Sound Interface. BIAB/RB 2024 UltraPak Build - Latest
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: MikeK
Ditto. I have all I need with versions 6 thru 8.5 ...

smile

I'll stick with X3, although 8.5 was rock solid. $499? Are these people nuts? crazy

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Dang!
I purchased X3 Producer less than a week ago.
Annoyed? Yes

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I think I mentioned that Cakewalk would drop X (if not Sonar) they have been renaming products about every 3-4 versions starting with Cakewalk!

CW (DOS 1-4), CW Win Pro (2-3), CW Pro Audio (Deluxe 4-9), Sonar XL (1.3, 2.1), Sonar Producer (3 - 8.5), then Sonar X1-X3 (Producer), now whatever

---'

Yep just looked at site - those prices are off putting (unless you have X3 - I do) or they are in New Taiwan Dollars! grin

edit:
just re-looked I would have like to have seen the newer Z3TA2+ for upgrade price

John you are right, almost ALL except new "engine" (if anything much) we already have if you have Producer X1-X3.

Larry

Last edited by Larry Kehl; 01/13/15 02:00 PM.

Win10Pro,i9,64GB,2TBSSD+20TBHDDs,1080TI,BIAB'24,Scarlett18i8,Montage7,Fusion 8HD,QS8,Integra7,XV5080,QSR,SC-8850,SPLAT,FL21&others,Komp.14,IK suite&others, just a guitar player-AXE FX III &FM9T, FishmanTP, MIDIGuitar2, GK2/3'sw/GI20
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
90db - Upgrade is $149 (for Platinum) from X3 but I also had mini-stroke when I saw $499

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Well...

I grew up with Cakewalk since version 3.0 and have all subsequent versions except for 2 or 3 versions.
I only went to X3 when they lowered the upgrade price from 149$ to 99$.

Now, I just don't see any reason anymore.
X3 does more than I need and there's still a lot it offers that I haven't delved into.

I've wondered over the last few years how much more can be offered to justify long time users to keep upgrading each time.
If one is rolling in green I guess it's a none issue.
It's different of course for those purchasing there first version.

I can't imagine the pressure of generating enough revenue each year to have staying power in such a competitive market...especially since Reaper and a couple others (I think) have entered the market in the last 4-5 years or so.
That new monthly membership fee may be part of the equation but that's a guess.

I love the program and want them to be prosperous but I can't imagine any determining criteria to make me upgrade again .

Guess I'll head to the forum and check the feedback. smile

A good evening to all....

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Agreed, X3 is the most stable version I've used since version 8. No compelling reason here to upgrade anymore.

Win11, Intel i7 7700K 4.2Ghz, 32Gb RAM, 2x1Tb HD, 500Gb NVMe, BIAB/RB 2024, MOTU 828MK3 audio, MOTU Midi Express, Yamaha Montage 7, DX7II, TX802, Motif XS Rack, Roland Fantom XR Rack, Oberheim Matrix 1000, VoiceLive3 Extreme, Kontakt 6, SampleTank 4.3
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Thanks. I just looked there last night, so this is quite a surprise. Time to check the features.

Trevor - I know you were just asking about SONAR. Since you bought so close to the upgrade announcement, call and ask them if they can help you out. PG Music certainly would in the same situation.

Someone on the SONAR forum speculated that since SONAR wasn't upgraded in September as it was the last several years, it would sound 'wrong' to name it X4 when the year was already (201)5.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I thought CW Pro Audio 9.03 was sufficient and stable and I stiil have it installed - yes it runs fine on win 7 64!

But may be jacka$$ enough to upgrade to get the AD2 producer (3 Pak) add-on alone and not even bother with install.

Win10Pro,i9,64GB,2TBSSD+20TBHDDs,1080TI,BIAB'24,Scarlett18i8,Montage7,Fusion 8HD,QS8,Integra7,XV5080,QSR,SC-8850,SPLAT,FL21&others,Komp.14,IK suite&others, just a guitar player-AXE FX III &FM9T, FishmanTP, MIDIGuitar2, GK2/3'sw/GI20
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
Thanks. I just looked there last night, so this is quite a surprise. Time to check the features.

Trevor - I know you were just asking about SONAR. Since you bought so close to the upgrade announcement, call and ask them if they can help you out. PG Music certainly would in the same situation.

Someone on the SONAR forum speculated that since SONAR wasn't upgraded in September as it was the last several years, it would sound 'wrong' to name it X4 when the year was already (201)5.

Thanks Matt
I purchased from Sweetwater, I'll give both them and Cakewalk a call, see what transpires

Regards
Trevor

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Off-Topic
jford Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I bought X1 Producer outright a few years ago; upgraded to X2 Producer for $99, and then paid $99 to upgrade to X3 Producer in 2014. But to upgrade to Sonar Platinum (which would have been X4 Producer) is $149. Or I could go to Sonar Pro for $99, which gives you the LE version of some of the VSTi's (whereas the X3 Producer gave you the full version) - for example Rapture and Dimension. X3 Producer included Z3TA+, whereas the new Pro does not. That being said, I've already got those VSTi's, so it's probably moot (unless it becomes an issue when updates to those plugins become available). But philosophically, that seems like a downgrade to me.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
And even the new Platinum doesn't have the newer Z3TA2 + only the older 'classic' Z3TA+

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Larry Kehl
90db - Upgrade is $149 (for Platinum) from X3 but I also had mini-stroke when I saw $499

Thanks - missed that. Couldn't get past the $499. grin

Regards,

Bob

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: jford
I bought X1 Producer outright a few years ago; upgraded to X2 Producer for $99, and then paid $99 to upgrade to X3 Producer in 2014. But to upgrade to Sonar Platinum (which would have been X4 Producer) is $149. Or I could go to Sonar Pro for $99, which gives you the LE version of some of the VSTi's (whereas the X3 Producer gave you the full version) - for example Rapture and Dimension. X3 Producer included Z3TA+, whereas the new Pro does not. That being said, I've already got those VSTi's, so it's probably moot (unless it becomes an issue when updates to those plugins become available). But philosophically, that seems like a downgrade to me.

Hi John, I'm in the same boat.

There are a few improvements to Sonar but no enough to make me want to jump in right now. I think I will wait a few months to see what new add ons/improvements they come up with. If I like then I will buy the total package. At least this way I will see what I am getting, even if I have to wait 11 months to buy.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I'll stick with Sonar 8 producer edition

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Even if I do upgrade, I really think the AD 2 3-pak is worth it, (both platinum and pro come with AD2 [didn't notice that before had to edit post]), I know I won't be buying any "additional memberships."

I'd hate to see other music SW start doing a subscription-like strategy - talk about sink holes for customers.

Of course, it could come to pass,in not too distant future, that they start renting us the SW (like other commercial SW I have [specialized "stuff" for consulting work]) - once the annual subscription is over - they SW does not work any more let alone no updates issued or made available.

Larry

Last edited by Larry Kehl; 01/14/15 07:40 AM.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
One big EMP and it's all worthless anyway. Still got my acoustic guitar. grin

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Now you know why I still use and collect slide rules - after EMPs I'll be King of the engineers who are re-building. cool

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,393
Posts732,477
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195