jford Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks, Matt.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
John, just now I received an email with my invite to upgrade now. However, it seems to be only to Platinum level.?

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Oh, my! There is a short video (4 minutes) on just the new Control Bar. This feature is far better than I thought - it's really fabulous. This is a GUI that would be great for other programs (hint).

Even if you don't care about SONAR, check this out to see how they designed the GUI: https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10152930288557420

It's on Facebook, but anyone should be able to see it, I think.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Sweetwater wrote back to clarify about the $149/year statement that Cakewalk mentioned for the upgrade:

"As far as I'm aware it's a one time charge, not annual ."

So it seems you can HP the product and pay it off, or buy the upgrade outright

For info

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
Oh, my! There is a short video (4 minutes) on just the new Control Bar. This feature is far better than I thought - it's really fabulous. This is a GUI that would be great for other programs (hint).

Even if you don't care about SONAR, check this out to see how they designed the GUI: https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10152930288557420

It's on Facebook, but anyone should be able to see it, I think.

Matt
Thanks for the link. It certainly is an impressive UI. Like you mentioned, others could/should take notice(!)

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Matt I see you were also "randomly" selected grin

Well just a heads up for you SSD users - be prepared for more CW creep all over you hard drive and possible cleanup after install(s).

Remember I have my stuff installed to my D drive(all Cakewalk, all Cakewalk shares, etc.)

Even though the install recognized my Cakewalk shared directories, VSTplugins etc. are on my D drive it STILL wrote many GB's to my C drive (after everything is running correctly I'll begin my usual clean-up from the mess that CW leaves). There is MORE on my C drive under \cakewalk\Sonar Platinum folders then there is under the new \Cakewalk\Sonar Platinum folder on my D drive!

Cakewalk, while I do like it, is the absolute WORST offender at making multiple copies of the SAME thing in 2, 3, and 4 locations on the C drive (User, All users, Program Data, Studio Instruments, Dim Pro programs …) there is more of it on C then on D where it was told to install.

For the record, on this new version of product:

I downloaded everything (just like previous versions), and installed the old fashion way (running install .exe's) totally by-passing their new Command Center. However to get program out of DEMO I had to install and run the Command Center (turns out there is a way to "active offline" but didn't jump through the hoops to try it.

After that one time "activation" I can run Sonar sans network - no issues.

BTW I bought the one time pay version - again the AD 2 Producer pak costs more than the this Sonar upgrade so I get new Sonar AND AD2 3-pak cheaper then AD2 3-pak.

Truthfully I do have an issue, but it's not related to network connectivity or activation.

I can't get BOTH 32 and 64 bit versions to run. Only the last installed version (32 or 64) runs fine - but then the other one won't. Since I've never installed ANY of the previous Sonar 64 bit versions, only the 32 bit versions, I obviously haven't figured out the trick to do both, because it is suppose to be doable.

They are installed in different directories and I haven't started my usual hacking to clean up the mess that CW leaves - so it's not my mucking with it that's causing this.

It will be a while before I even use the new versions to see what new stuff is good (or bad) so you all are better off not waiting on a report from me go read user inputs over on the Cakewalk forum - or wait for MATT (let "Micky try it") to give a real review.

Larry

Win10Pro,i9,64GB,2TBSSD+20TBHDDs,1080TI,BIAB'24,Scarlett18i8,Montage7,Fusion 8HD,QS8,Integra7,XV5080,QSR,SC-8850,SPLAT,FL21&others,Komp.14,IK suite&others, just a guitar player-AXE FX III &FM9T, FishmanTP, MIDIGuitar2, GK2/3'sw/GI20
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
hi matt this is the new way of some personally I think its a great deal for both user and company you still own the software just no more new stuff if you choose to its a membership and those that are strap for money have the option of installments of course I upgrade always biab, sonar, reason its my way of supporting my software company hope to upgrade soon thanks eric

AMD (TM) 5950 4.9 GHz 16Core Processor 64 bit 32 bits of ram windows 10 pro 64 bit os. sound card Antelope ZenQ guitars Ibanez 2202a 1968 les Paul Custom and Cavin ae 185 Guitar boss Gt-100,GT1000 pedal Yamaha HS8 studio monitors
Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Exactly, Eric. It seems more people understand it here than on the SONAR forum, that this is just a new option of paying in installments rather than outright.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Software Leasing....

I've been doing it the past year on Adobe Audition. I was very resistant to it at first. Much better to outright purchase I thought. Didn't have much choice with Adobe though since they no longer provide newer versions of software as one-time purchase. If I calculated out my $20 month payments to 2 years, that would be about the same spent as an outright purchase (Also the rough amount of time until a major software revision). The benefit to paying the lease is that I get all updates and software revisions as long as I use it. They provide updates and bug fixes about every month or two.

The bottom line you need to think about before starting a lease on software is whether or not you use it enough to justify the payment. If you don't, stay with your older version. At some point Cakewalk will probably force lease-only payment option as Adobe did.

In my case, I've been a life-long user of Audition since the days Syntrillium owned it as Cool Edit Pro. I really like the interface and there's no learning curve for me to go through if I had hopped over to Cakewalk, Pro Tools, etc. It's worth the cost to keep paying and ALWAYS having the most current version.

/END RANT smile

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack

I wrote them asking about getting the new version.
They wrote back:
"The bad news is that we cannot offer you a better price due to your timing of your SONAR X3 Producer purchase you made recently... unfortunately timing is not part of our pricing structure."

They continued (verbatim):

"should you decide to upgrade. Your price would be $149/yr or $14.90/mo. "

This last statement indicates that the software is "leased". I never have and never intend to pay money to lease a software product. Period. Maybe I interpreted incorrectly, but they are the exact words I received.

Trevor,

I wanted to make you aware of this question that was answered by a Cakewalk Staff member on the SONAR forum. It appears that they are saying that they built a discount into X3 for you.

Originally Posted By: Cakewalk Forum

Musikslayer
Is there a upgrade/cutoff date for those of us that recently purchased X3?

No, you should have received a discount on SONAR if you purchased recently. In retail, new customer actually paid a little less if say they purchased X3 Producer and then upgrade to Platinum.

Andrew Rossa [Cakewalk]Andrew Rossa [Cakewalk]
Cakewalk Staff

I've tried to give various interpretations to this because my first take on it was that it was at odds with what they told you. I'm guessing you maybe got a fire sale price when you purchased last week?

Keith
2024 Audiophile Windows 11 AMD RYZEN THREADRIPPER 3960X 4.5GHZ 128 GB RAM 2 Nvidia RTX 3090s, Vegas,Acid,SoundForge,Izotope Production,Melodyne Studio,Cakewalk,Raven Mti
Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
I am assuming it will work properly with the Roland I/O and mixer? The V 700 series?

(and what do you consider a steep upgrade price?)

WSS

Last edited by Westside Steve; 01/18/15 08:13 AM.
Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
For a discount on the Pre-order of Upgrade from X3 Producer to Platinum:

http://www.jrrshop.com/cakewalk-sonar-platinum-upgrade-from-sonar-x3-producer

You won't see the "discount" until you check out, and if you type in "GROUP" in the coupon field, it knocks it down a tad further (maybe not true as of now), but I and many others have paid $125.16 for it, and the link still works. (Edit: I wouldn't wait past tomorrow, supposedly the release date is the 21st so with presales...)

WIN 10, BIAB WIN2022, Studio One 5, Audient iD4
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Beachboy
For a discount on the Pre-order of Upgrade from X3 Producer to Platinum:

http://www.jrrshop.com/cakewalk-sonar-platinum-upgrade-from-sonar-x3-producer

You won't see the "discount" until you check out, and if you type in "GROUP" in the coupon field, it knocks it down a tad further (maybe not true as of now), but I and many others have paid $125.16 for it, and the link still works. (Edit: I wouldn't wait past tomorrow, supposedly the release date is the 21st so with presales...)

This is still true as I just ordered Platinum for the $125.16 price.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Cakewalk's Sonar Producer X3 discs arrived this morning...I ordered Sonar Platinum upgrade this evening for $126 from JRR. So, as a registered X3 user (cost me only $39 for the Producer Box Set, including 2-day mail), and then the $126 to order Platinum...not a bad deal!
"Platinum Has Landed"
...the beginning comments on Cakewalk Forum:
http://forum.cakewalk.com/SONAR-PLATINUM-HAS-LANDED-m3148099.aspx

Yamaha...Motif ES-8, Motif Rack, CS6X
Korg...Karma,Triton Classic, PA-80, M-1+
AkaiSampler-S5000, Roland.. X5080 Rack/G-1000 Arranger
Various Guitars/Basses Amps Pedals Rec.Equip.

Plus, BIAB 2015 and Sonar Platinum 2015 Upgrade from Cakewalk's Sonar X-3
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I bought Sonar X3 and never really got comfortable with it. Plus, I noticed the plugins weren't accessible by BIAB anymore. (in version pro audio 6.0 they were)

So I reinstalled the old 6.0 version. It works fine in win 7 and is rock solid. An added bonus is that the layout is remarkably like RealBand, so I rarely have to search for anything.

I think I've hit the age where changing things just because there's a new version has become counter-productive for me.

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: Pat Marr
I think I've hit the age where changing things just because there's a new version has become counter-productive for me.

Ha...I hear you and can relate.

I upgraded to X1 from Sonar 5.0PE which did work just fine. (I'm on Win7 too)
I just thought it was time to get current and was willing to deal with the interface/paradigm changes that occurred in the X series.

I'd read the forums quite a bit prior to my decision.
Yes...it took a bit of getting used to but not nearly as bad as I had presumed.

Funny thing though, the upgrade from X1 to X3 was 149$ at the time.
So, I'd posted to a thread on the subject of upgrade pricing on the Cake forum that I'm always game to support Cakewalk but couldn't justify 149$.
But...if it was 99$ I'd probably pull the trigger.

What happens a couple weeks later?
I get a email along with everyone else the upgrade from X1-X3 is now 99$.
I couldn't resist and blame Cake for seducing me into pulling said trigger. smile

I like X3 and it's deeper that the Mariana Trench so it will probably do me just fine until I go below the dirt.

Carry on....a good day to all.

Last edited by chulaivet1966; 01/21/15 07:40 AM.
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Watching key featured videos about Sonar Platinum, as it downloads the program(s) on my H.D. It's like inviting "Godzilla" into my small R.V.

OMG....hope this works out for this Octogenerion!! ....

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Mario, Larry,

Just because of you two ....I just purchased....NAW the AD2 with paks
are main reason.

Had my mind set to NOT get this, but after reading about all the
goodies hadda doit...

thanks

I just ordered and they honored the price 125.16.
Question I have is now what ?
Mario are you sure you and Larry don't own JRR site....LOL.

Guess sometime tonight the magic numbers will appear.

Last edited by seeker; 01/21/15 06:05 PM.

FrankB

Down The Street vs2015 12-03-2014
Win7, AMD QuadA8-5500,16GB,2TeraHD, Komplete 10
PG Ultra Plus 2016,Alesis 12USB, Sonar Platinum
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Good Morning...
Stayed up till 2AM and darned if the new Platinum software didn't "complete" the installation, verified I had the hundreds of files that will challenge my mind over the coming weeks. In conjunction with the PG Program, both will be fun and a lot of work.

Since I never really "touched" the previous Sonar Producer...I couldn't get it to "install" on my old portable, (SLOW INTERNET WI-FI LINK), it will be a long learning process with the new Sonar Platinum!

...but as I've said, my upgrade price for "Platinum" was great and my only concern was downloading this fab upgrade without crashing my computer.

Everything...all this data, was installed on the "C" Drive. Whew!

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
GDaddy

if you use the new Command Center to install, then everything gets installed to the C Drive. If you download the installs themselves individually and install them you have a lot more control over where things get installed.

However even then you have to do some post install moving, like the multisamples can be moved off the C Drive to another drive unfortunately then you also have to do a few simple edits to the registry, and there's some other minor "hacks" like that. Depends on how much you want to get this stuff off of the C Drive.

EDIT

IF you DID use the Command Center then the installs for everything you installed are in

C:\ProgramData\Cakewalk\Command Center\Downloads

You can then simply uninstall everything (use windows uninstall) and RE-INSTALL where you want (and about half will go to where you really want it without still putting copies on your C drive. THEN if you do updates those things will mainly follwo your OLDER paths.

I've already installed, removed, and reinstalled with and without Command Center about over half a dozen times. To see HOW CC works, to see where things get installed, to test the isntallers, and to correct paths where CC install overwrote my previous path chose. Note there has already been a SONAR PROGRAM update since release last week as mainly to support the Anderton collection update.

Last edited by Larry Kehl; 01/22/15 06:31 AM.

Win10Pro,i9,64GB,2TBSSD+20TBHDDs,1080TI,BIAB'24,Scarlett18i8,Montage7,Fusion 8HD,QS8,Integra7,XV5080,QSR,SC-8850,SPLAT,FL21&others,Komp.14,IK suite&others, just a guitar player-AXE FX III &FM9T, FishmanTP, MIDIGuitar2, GK2/3'sw/GI20
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,396
Posts732,514
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195