Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#265980 - 10/19/14 02:44 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Very interesting new amp, the Spacestation V.3 [Re: rockstar_not]
jazzmammal Offline
Veteran

Loc: Redondo Beach, Ca.
Originally Posted By: rockstar_not
The bottom speaker, because both sides are exposed, radiates sound like a figure 8 mic records sound. When coupling this with the front projection of the common mono signal that is common, it creates the L & R signals out in the listening space. If you switch off one of the speakers, you'll hear the stereo effect fold down to mono.

Wow, I know you're an engineer so I believe you but that really does sound like sonic voodoo. So the stereo is not coming from the bottom speaker? That's just so counterintuitive.

Sweetwater is the only authorized distributor but Aspen can sell them direct as well which is how I got mine. The price was $599.

Bob, I was sorely tempted to take some pic's of the studio especially that big unit but I was a guest and didn't think that would be too cool but he's got some interesting stuff in there.

Bob

#266090 - 10/19/14 11:14 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Very interesting new amp, the Spacestation V.3 [Re: jazzmammal]
rockstar_not Offline
Veteran

Loc: Colorado Springs, CO, USA
Bob, have you ever investigated how Mid/Side stereo recordings work? Two mics are used, but not usde as a left mic and a right mic. Here's an article: http://www.uaudio.com/blog/mid-side-mic-recording/

Think of the way this amp works in reverse - playing out sound instead of recording it.

The unbaffled speaker at the bottom of the cabinet pushes sound one direction while the other side of the speaker is simultaneously 'pulling' sound. In the article above, this is like the figure 8 mic, with the out-of-phase switch enabled on the copy of that signal. With the bottom speaker, that 'phase reversal' happens naturally because the back side is exposed to the air. The speaker on the top is playing what is common to both but the back side of that speaker is enclosed in a cabinet so the 'pull' on the back side is not effectively creating sound out in the room. It's like the analog of the carioid mic that is on top. On a Mid/Side recording - you can widen and narrow the effect by the relative balance of the mid mid, versus the magnitude of the two channels of the 'Side' recording.

I've only done this a few times, when I had a Cascade FatHead ribbon mic. I tried it with acoustic guitar recordings, but found that a good-old two-mic spaced recording gave me a much easier setup (It's hard to get that M/S setup without a bunch of precise placement of mics - and both mics I tried it with had shockmounts - which makes it a little difficult to get the two capsules close - and the effect wasn't all that great on acoustic). I have since sold the Cascade - it needed a cleaner preamp than what I had available at the time.

It's not voodoo - it is a bit surprising nobody has tried this before now to be honest. It makes perfect sense as the 'playback' version of Mid-Side recording.

#266123 - 10/20/14 02:47 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Very interesting new amp, the Spacestation V.3 [Re: jazzmammal]
jazzmammal Offline
Veteran

All right, that makes sense. In his studio Aspen uses two mics, the lower one appears to have two sides that come together vertically. That's the bottom one and a small circular mic is mounted right on top of the two sided one. This rig is pointed right at the SS amp about 12 feet back.

As far as nobody else doing it Aspen says it's because he holds the patent on it. He brought in dinner for everybody during a break and we talked about this. It goes back to his Groove Tube days, when he sold the company to Fender the only thing he kept was the patent for CPS. He said Fender wanted it but he refused to give it up. This new one is V.3 he produced two earlier ones years ago under the GT name. He's not a young guy, it's possible he may be the originator of this concept.

Bob

#266134 - 10/20/14 06:28 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Very interesting new amp, the Spacestation V.3 [Re: jazzmammal]
90 dB Offline
Veteran

Loc: Florida
"He's not a young guy, it's possible he may be the originator of this concept."

Mid-side has been around for a long time. From the article Scott cited:

"Mid-Side microphone recording is hardly a new concept. It was devised by EMI engineer Alan Blumlein, an early pioneer of stereophonic and surround sound. Blumlein patented the technique in 1933 and used it on some of the earliest stereophonic recordings."

https://90dbband.bandcamp.com/

https://soundcloud.com/90-db

#266294 - 10/22/14 09:13 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Very interesting new amp, the Spacestation V.3 [Re: jazzmammal]
raymb1 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Sterling, Va
After Bob's review along with other reviews and checking out the videos, I've ordered the SS V.3 and the SKB case. Delivery will be sometime in Nov. Later, Ray

I might pick up this: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ISOL8R200Sub

Edited by raymb1 (10/22/14 12:57 PM)

#266359 - 10/23/14 01:25 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Very interesting new amp, the Spacestation V.3 [Re: raymb1]
jazzmammal Offline
Veteran

Wow, didn't notice until now, over a thousand views. There's more interest in this amp than I thought. The unit is starting to get delivered to people on the KC forum and a few reports are coming it. Everybody just loves it as much as I do.

Unless your ears are really weird Ray, so will you. Seriously, this thing is a game changer. And again, it's a game changer as a PA amp too. It really fills the room with vocals, guitar stereo effects, all that stuff.

Bob

#266418 - 10/23/14 05:44 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Very interesting new amp, the Spacestation V.3 [Re: jazzmammal]
raymb1 Offline
Veteran

Just saw your video at Aspen's studio on Kybrd Corner. Good sounds. Can't wait to get my SS. Are you going to post your video on PG? Later, Ray

#266442 - 10/23/14 10:16 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Very interesting new amp, the Spacestation V.3 [Re: jazzmammal]
rockstar_not Offline
Veteran

Loc: Colorado Springs, CO, USA
That's actually a pretty decent price.

#266452 - 10/24/14 01:44 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Very interesting new amp, the Spacestation V.3 [Re: raymb1]
jazzmammal Offline
Veteran

Here's the vids that were produced when I was at Aspens studio last week. Two with Al and the one with me. It's definitely funny seeing myself like that. I've heard myself on recordings lots of times but this is the first good quality video. Kinda strange.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qL9-51bIWNw&feature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRNKZbPNKxs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTQA0XE5yuc&feature=youtu.be

Bob

#266636 - 10/25/14 08:58 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Very interesting new amp, the Spacestation V.3 [Re: jazzmammal]
jazzmammal Offline
Veteran

I did my first gig with it last night in a bar that holds 140 people, we had maybe 100 more or less. It's pretty loud in there. Small stage, 5 piece with a girl singer. This is the place I was worried about concerning the power output of the Spacestation. I'm jammed right next to the drummer with my back against the wall so any amp I use is beside me so everything sounds muffled to me but I've been told I sound good out front. I've been using an EV ELX112P which they rate as 600W. I think that's too high, it's probably around half that continuous power but it's still a powerful powered PA speaker anyway. The SS is about two thirds that size with an 8" woofer while the EV is a 12 with a big horn.

All I can say is WOW! I had the EV in the car in case the SS wasn't loud enough but it has plenty of power. I agreed with your earlier assesment 90DB about how can such a small woofer put out like that. I don't know but this thing rocked the house. We had a guitar player who's too loud, a drummer who really gets into it, a jammin bass player, a sax player, a girl singer and me with a double rack keys rig. For the first time EVER I heard myself clearly in stereo from one little amp jammed up right between me and the drummer. On the first break the bass player said it's the first time he could hear me like that and the drummer was even more enthusiastic, he pointed down to the amp and said he simply could not believe how much sound that little thing put out. Even though it makes no sense, Aspen is right when he said the stereo 300 degree dispersion carries the sound so well you don't need nearly as much power in order to be heard. That effect that Scott described really makes a huge difference. There's now several more guys on the other forum including a Hammond fanatic in Germany saying the same thing. This thing kicks serious [*****].

And to top it off, I wasn't pushing it. The organ and pianos were crystal clear, no distortion at all. I'm sure there was more power left. I had the master volume set at about 1 o'clock.

I don't know what else to say, every keyboard player in the world needs one of these and don't forget what I said earlier, this is a great PA amp too.

Bob

#266637 - 10/25/14 09:52 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Very interesting new amp, the Spacestation V.3 [Re: jazzmammal]
raymb1 Offline
Veteran

Bob, have you had a chance to play through the SS with BIAB yet? Anxious to hear how that sounds since I have some solo gigs coming up. Ray

Edited by raymb1 (10/25/14 10:16 PM)

#266649 - 10/26/14 08:12 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Very interesting new amp, the Spacestation V.3 [Re: jazzmammal]
90 dB Offline
Veteran

Loc: Florida
Originally Posted By: jazzmammal
I did my first gig with it last night in a bar that holds 140 people, we had maybe 100 more or less. It's pretty loud in there. Small stage, 5 piece with a girl singer. This is the place I was worried about concerning the power output of the Spacestation. I'm jammed right next to the drummer with my back against the wall so any amp I use is beside me so everything sounds muffled to me but I've been told I sound good out front. I've been using an EV ELX112P which they rate as 600W. I think that's too high, it's probably around half that continuous power but it's still a powerful powered PA speaker anyway. The SS is about two thirds that size with an 8" woofer while the EV is a 12 with a big horn.

All I can say is WOW! I had the EV in the car in case the SS wasn't loud enough but it has plenty of power. I agreed with your earlier assesment 90DB about how can such a small woofer put out like that. I don't know but this thing rocked the house. We had a guitar player who's too loud, a drummer who really gets into it, a jammin bass player, a sax player, a girl singer and me with a double rack keys rig. For the first time EVER I heard myself clearly in stereo from one little amp jammed up right between me and the drummer. On the first break the bass player said it's the first time he could hear me like that and the drummer was even more enthusiastic, he pointed down to the amp and said he simply could not believe how much sound that little thing put out. Even though it makes no sense, Aspen is right when he said the stereo 300 degree dispersion carries the sound so well you don't need nearly as much power in order to be heard. That effect that Scott described really makes a huge difference. There's now several more guys on the other forum including a Hammond fanatic in Germany saying the same thing. This thing kicks serious [*****].

And to top it off, I wasn't pushing it. The organ and pianos were crystal clear, no distortion at all. I'm sure there was more power left. I had the master volume set at about 1 o'clock.

I don't know what else to say, every keyboard player in the world needs one of these and don't forget what I said earlier, this is a great PA amp too.

Bob

Glad you're digging it. It might actually put a dent in the Bose market for small gigs (and it's a lot cheaper!).

I'll be thinking of you as I'm loading the trailer full of PA and backline for tonight's gig. grin

https://90dbband.bandcamp.com/

https://soundcloud.com/90-db

#266763 - 10/27/14 09:01 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Very interesting new amp, the Spacestation V.3 [Re: raymb1]
jazzmammal Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: raymb1
Bob, have you had a chance to play through the SS with BIAB yet? Anxious to hear how that sounds since I have some solo gigs coming up. Ray

Hadn't forgotten about you, I just need some time to set up a proper test. My bedroom where my home studio set up is is way to cluttered to get a good reading of this so I needed to get some adapter gozinta's to go from the headphone out of my home theater amp in the living room because I have a 25' HDMI cable going out there so I can do this sort of thing there as well as in the bedroom. I just sat the Spacestation in the middle of the living room floor in front of the TV using a stereo headphone out going to the SS and played some Biab tunes through it. It sounds really good. The Real Drums are very full, not thin, the bass and everything else is right there like it should be. Depending on your gigs you may or may not need a sub because this little unit puts out a surprising amount of bass by itself.

Also for those who are not keyboard players, here's a couple of vids I found where Aspen is demo'ing a good guitar duo and a nice four piece band with vocal harmony. Since I was messing around with my headphone out anyway I also listened to some of these demos through the cans and it really makes a big difference. His recording setup using his MS mic in the studio to get a live sound really works well through the 'phones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4E7Rg9Suc8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-YXyV8-F3I

I think these two demos show how good this amp is as a PA. Remember this is throwing the sound in a 300 degree dispersion all around whatever space you're in. This works whether you're feeding it a stereo source or not. In that sense it's the same idea as the Bose L1. I've done two gigs where the vocalist had the Bose and it does sound very good but man, the price of those things. This Spacestation does the exact same thing as far as I can tell but it will reproduce true stereo if you have a source and it's $600. Seems like a no brainer to me.

Bob

#282519 - 01/29/15 01:03 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Very interesting new amp, the Spacestation V.3 [Re: jazzmammal]
jazzmammal Offline
Veteran

Time for an update, lots has happened. The biggest thing was the longshoremans strike on the West Coast. This put the SS shipments way behind schedule. The first shipment was sold out very fast and it's taken until this week for the second shipment to finally arrive at Sweetwater and get out to people including our own Raymond.

The thread at the Keyboard Corner has grown by another 15 pages at least. Every single review is not only positive, people are absolutely gushing about it. I thought there was no need to talk about it here again until they start to become available because the keyboard players have bought every single one in sight.

The point is this is not simply a keyboard amp, it's an awesome PA. I was at NAMM and saw some reaction there to this little box and people were positive comments about it there too. Casio was using one to demo their new keyboards plus using it as a PA. Everybody thought this thing is a game changer. This amp really is a much less expensive option compared to the Bose L1 for small group PA work.

For me personally I've now done several gigs with it using different keyboards and it's the best amp I've ever had. I've always bought the best available, Barbetta's, JBL, EV and this is by far the best, it's not even close. I'm trying to not sound like I'm working for Aspen (I'm not) but seriously this amp is a killer little box. And it's loud as hell. Call it voodoo, call it whatever this thing projects all over a given room in true stereo. The Bose can't say that, it's not stereo.

Those who are doing small single/duo/trio type gigs with or without tracks really need to check this out. The fidelity is amazing too for a stage amp. Biab tracks sound really good through it.

Bob

#282527 - 01/29/15 01:48 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Very interesting new amp, the Spacestation V.3 [Re: jazzmammal]
sslechta Offline
Expert

Loc: St. Louis, MO. USA
Saw your video on their website, sure you're not working for them? Just kidding.

Looks like it would be an upgrade from my old Roland KC500 in that it provides a good stereo spread.

Have you compared it to any of those rotary speaker enclosures? I'm curious if the stereo output would sound better than something like a Leslie.

BIAB/RB 2017, Pro Tools 12.8, Korg N5, Proteus F/X, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win10, Dell Precision T5400, 1 TB SSD, 2 TB HD, 32 GB Memory, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 Interface

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® Version 2018 for Windows is a HIT!

Since the release of Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows, we've received some great feedback!

"Oh wow. [The Audio Chord Wizard] has got to be the coolest enhancement to 2018 Band-in-a-Box. This is so-o-o powerful. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!"
"2018 is a great release in so many ways!"
"Nice work, as usual!!"
"Luvin' it so far!"
"And yet again you manage to come up with styles and instruments that we absolutely 'must have'!"
"Great to have the Oohs and Ahhs RealTracks!"
"The RealTracks are worth their weight in gold to me. They really are an amazing invention for music creators."
"Every one of these tracks is phenomenal!"
"You guys just keep blowing us away."
"This is an amazing product. I tip my hat and thank you immensely."
"Awesome job once again!"
"What an unexpected treat!"
"What a fantastic idea PG music! I love to know who specifically thought of this idea. What an unexpected treat!!"
"Video set number three with Oliver Gannon is phenomenal just by itself! I've been asking for additional instruction from him for sometime And here it is! Plus it looks like there's something for everyone. You really out did yourself on this one PG Music - way to go!"
"Just tonight popped together a quick video using one of the new video styles. Must say the whole process worked without a hitch so this really does look like a great new feature. And what a great teaching aid this could be!"
"Come on, whats not to like about this"
"The new Audio Chord Wizard is my favorite new feature!"
"THIS IS EXCITING!"
"This should be great for creating backing tracks for covers."
"I know what I'm getting for Christmas!"
"What a release!!!"
"The XTRA Styles are fantastic any future idle music-related minutes I may have had are now totally gone gonna find that perfect background rhythm on just about every one of my favorites!!!"
"Recent retirement and the 2018 version of BIAB is a perfect combination!!"
"it's educational utility and potential is awesome!!!"
"I must say, the new harmony options in particular have me champing at the bit!"
"Love the new Video RealTracks!"
"The mixer included into the StylePicker is a great addition."
"This will give my students a great overview of what's going on in an arrangement with the different instruments.!!!"
"A musician must have."
"Lovin' the new RealTracks!!!"
"Amazing!"

Upgrade your Band-in-a-Box® to version 2018 during our special for great savings & Bonus PAKs! www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.packages.htm

Vocal "Oohs" and "Aahs" RealTracks Tutorial Video

Here's a video showing you the different ways you can use the Vocal "Oohs" and "Aahs" RealTracks, new with Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows!

Video link - Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows, now with Vocal "Oohs" and "Aahs" RealTracks!

Plus, here are two audio demos, the full versions of two of the songs that appear in this video:

http://demos.pgmusic.com/audio/allstyledemos2/_LAZYDAY_full_demo.m4a
http://demos.pgmusic.com/audio/allstyledemos2/DownByTheSalleyGardens_with_VocalOohsAahs.m4a

Purchase RealTrack Set 278: Shiny Vocals Oohs and Aahs for just $29 here. It's also included in the Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows PlusPAK, UltraPAK, and Audiophile Edition.

Band-in-a-Box® Version 2018 Build 506 Update Available!

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows users can download the latest Build 506 at http://www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#506

Summary of Changes since 2018 Build 205:
Added: "Export Song as Audio File..." menu item has been added to the Audio menu.
Added: BB2018 tutorials folder.
Added: New styles (STY files) for many of the new RealTracks in Sets 278-300 and MIDI SuperTracks sets 25-27.
Added: StylePicker User Categories updated for Xtra Styles PAK 4.
Updated: Styles database
Updated: Various improvements (including Db offset adjustments) to many of the new STY files and .SGU demos included with RealTracks Sets 278-300.
Fixed: "K3" did not work in the chord sheet for copying 3 bars (8 bars would be copied instead).
Fixed: Band-in-a-Box always opens with a maximized window briefly before resizing to the user's saved size.
Fixed: Band-in-a-Box will not open using the proper window size if the Mixer window was open while exiting.
Fixed: Deleting a region of chords would cause "Undo Delete Bars" to appear in the Edit menu, but do nothing unless chosen twice.
Fixed: Error "Input and output sample rates must match" might show when the devices do have matching sample rates.
Fixed: Flash messages were not being added to the flash message log.
Fixed: If Band-in-a-Box was in DAW Plugin mode while exiting, the window size was not restored the next time opening the program.
Fixed: Rendering .m4a or video files might fail and request that the user install QuickTime if using Windows 7. QuickTime should only be necessary for Windows Vista or XP.
Fixed: Some of the Oohs and Aahs (Vocal) RealTracks were not working correctly, and they have been greatly improved.
Fixed: Sometimes when deleting a note in the notation window, you will be asked "OK to delete chord".
Fixed: The "Show Flash Tips" setting did not have any effect when disabled.
Fixed: WashboardBluegrass drums.
Fixed: When exiting DAW Plugin mode, the window would not return to its previous size (it would become maximized).

Have Your Band-in-a-Box® Delivered In Time for Christmas!

The gift of music... some say this is the greatest gift of all! Imagine receiving the tools to help you create your own music for Christmas... like Band-in-a-Box!

If you are in the United States or Canada, order Band-in-a-Box before 12:30 pm Pacific time December 21st for Express delivery in time for Christmas.

If you are outside of North America, order before 12:30 pm Pacific time December 19th for Express delivery in time for Christmas.

With major savings and Bonus PAKs until December 31st, it's a great time to purchase Band-in-a-Box upgrades as a gift for someone you know... or for yourself!
http://www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.packages.htm

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 - Xtra Styles PAK Quick Start Tutorial Video

Our latest video includes a Quick Start tutorial on the installation, locations, and use of the Band-in-a-Box® Xtra Styles PAKs in Version 2018 for Windows. Video: Xtra Styles PAK Quick Start Tutorial

We have put all of our Xtra Styles PAKs on SALE! Until December 31st, purchase any Xtra Styles PAK (1 - 4) for just $29 each! (reg. $49) www.pgmusic.com/xtrastyles.php?os=win

User Blog - How To Record a Cover Song Using Band-in-a-Box and RealBand

Joanne Cooper's final blog post for 2017, How to record a cover song using Band-in-a-Box and RealBand is a must-read!

Joanne summarizes the steps she took to produce her cover of "Old Lang Syne" - her final result was posted to the User Showcase Forum: Listen to Auld Lang Syne

https://www.joannecooper.co.za/blog/blog/how-to-record-a-cover-song-using-band-in-a-box-and-realband

Announcing…The Birth of a Song (w/Floyd Jane)

We are excited to announce the release of a new project: The Birth of a Song (w/Floyd Jane)

Songwriter Floyd Jane shows the songwriting process from inspiration to performance and publication: http://www.pgmusic.com/?vid=IYMMZVvQdCw

The idea for this project came about when many members on this forum and elsewhere were asking questions about the song writing process. There are many aspects, and many parts of it necessary to create a song, get it arranged, performed, and then published on the internet. So we asked the great songwriter Floyd Jane, who is a regular member on this forum, if he could help. Floyd agreed and was even able to collaborate with other forum members, Janice and Bud. The result is this video we put together that you can see on YouTube or Facebook, called "The Birth of a Song (w/Floyd Jane)".

We hope this video helps other songwriters with their songwriting process, and also shows them tools that are available to them along the way. Also, we mention this User Showcase Forum, and hope to see many new aspiring or accomplished songwriters join this community :blush:

A big Thank You to Floyd for sharing your knowledge with the community and making this possible. And to Janice and Bud for your great collaboration!

Here is Floyd's original forum post for his song "A Little Bit Of Me": http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=433190

Check out Floyd / Janice & Bud’s music here:
http://floydjane.com/
https://www.janiceandbud.com/

Forum Stats
26736 Members
50 Forums
48997 Topics
400445 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
Smashplex, PasUser, zeuxis, dsalbani, axeman49

26735 Registered Users