Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
olemon Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
I opened a BiaB file created with version 2014 and received the error message in the subject.

The Piano, Strings and Soloist tracks (2nd, 5th, & 7th) do not play. When I open this project in Real Band, there is no audio for those tracks, except at the very end of the song where there is a hold.

In the Piano and Soloist tracks there are no VST/DX/Plugins.

In the Strings track on the Plugins Tab [SampleTank 2.x] is listed when I open the project. In the pop-up VST/DX/Plugins window, the first slot is empty though and displays <DX> None.

This is not happening with other 2014 BiaB projects. I tried creating a new instance of RT 1787 in Real Band on a new empty track, there is no audio generated except at that held note at the end of the song.

From Real Band:

****** Song Summary *************
Title: Untitled Song
File:Little Cabin 2015.SGU
Key=D , Tempo 88, Length (m:s)=3:34
No intro. 83 bar chorus, from bar 1 to bar 83. Repeat x1 chorus
No Melody
No Soloist track.
Song is saved with bar changes for Time signature,RealDrums Changes,
Style is _FPBTSSW.STY (2 Sw FgerpickGuitars Slow [85RS])
StringsCustom Synth is Hi-Q 001 01 Piano, Acoustic, Grand SampleTank.tgs

RealTracks in song: 1190:Bass, Electric, ModernRnBRock Ev 065
RealTracks in song: 1787:Fiddle, Background Pop16ths Ev 085 (Outside)
RealTracks in song: 378:Guitar, Acoustic, Strumming DoubleTime Ev 088
RealTracks in song: 1787:Fiddle, Background Pop16ths Ev 085 (Outside)
RealTracks in song: 1760:Fiddle, Background Pop16ths Ev 085
RealTracks in song: 1604:Fiddle, Background Pop16ths Ev 110
RealDrums in Song: NashBrushBalDbKEv16^3-a: QuarterHat, TripletSnare , b: QuarterRide, Snare

Does that 'StringsCustom Synth' mean anything to you experts? Thanks for reading this and for any suggestions.

olemon Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Update: All three of the troublesome tracks displayed [SampleTank 2.x] as the first VST on the Plugins tab. On the Soloist track I was able to remove it by selecting <DX>None and that worked, but that doesn't work for the Piano and Strings tracks.

SampleTank is no longer displayed on those two tracks, but there's still no audio.

I get two error messages when I open the file.

Also just found this thread so I'll try re-installing since I appear to have the same glitches that Floyd Jane described.

http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=278062&page=1

Last edited by olemon; 01/30/15 02:23 PM.
Veteran
Veteran
That error is caused by BIAB's instantiation of ST2 not finding the HI-Q instruments.

I assuming you are using 2015 and latest build 415?
There are a few threads here re ST2 DXI and HI-Q instruments somewhere I think Peter has a thread here somewhere as well but (while you search)

Make sure that in your ST 2 instrument library wherever that is that you have a sub-directory called \Band-in-a-Box

If you do standard installs (and win 7 or 8) that will be C:\Program Files (x86)\IK Multimedia\Instruments\Band-in-a-Box

Also try running ST2 (as DXi or VSTi doesn't matter for this) and make sure that you refresh the instruments paths (in the "prefs" then do a "relist").

If that doesn't work try reinstalling HQ-sets 1 and 2 then the BIAB update again

good luck
Larry

EDIT didn't read your SECOND post so missed that you already went to other thread so everything above is redundant

so by now you should have already done all the re-installs, updated to BIAB and and refresh path in ST

Last edited by Larry Kehl; 01/30/15 04:20 PM.

Win10Pro,i9,64GB,2TBSSD+20TBHDDs,1080TI,BIAB'24,Scarlett18i8,Montage7,Fusion 8HD,QS8,Integra7,XV5080,QSR,SC-8850,SPLAT,FL21&others,Komp.14,IK suite&others, just a guitar player-AXE FX III &FM9T, FishmanTP, MIDIGuitar2, GK2/3'sw/GI20
olemon Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Love the application PG Music, I really, really do, but installing a new version is not fun. The bb folder is on the C:\ drive, I accepted all of the default paths on previous versions and for the 2015 version.

Reinstalled 2015 and installed build 415. By the way, I used the BiaB utility to check for new updates. It did not find 415 and listed 414 as the most current?

Getting Part 3: and Part 7: error message, in those projects with the HQ sets I assume. I never paid much attention in the past. I've used BiaB for just over a year. Auditioned a RT, sounded good, exported the audio to Sonar, done.

I had no problems with version 2014. Had SampleTank and it was authorized in order for me to use BiaB 2014 as I did all of last year, but now I'm getting the message that its 10-day trial has expired. Fine. I run the Authorization Manager (have to download a new version even though it was just installed from the 2015 USB drive?). Done. Launch the Authorization Manager then log into my IK Multimedia account to get the authorization number...why wasn't that automatic? But then the Authorization Manager returns a Connection Error: 903. I'm accessing the web at the same time so I know I have internet connectivity.

I contacted both PG Music and IK Multimedia support. I'll keep trying to resolve this over the weekend. I guess I'm not alone in experiencing these problems. Thanks for listening and for your help.

olemon Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Made some progress. Right now, only the Piano track is misbehaving.

RT 1760 will play.
RT 1787 will not play.

But, both of those RT's will play on the Strings/Melody/Soloist tracks.

The default synth is SampleTank and the trial expired message is not occurring every time.

Veteran
Veteran
Glad you seem to have ST now working

A little late and more for others than you but when you install(ed)/re-install(ed) BIAB 2105 and if SampleTank and/or AmpliTube were already previously installed and WORKING - then UNCHECK the three boxes doing install:

IK Multimedia SampleTank DXi Synth
IK Multimedia AmpliTube VST Plugin
IK Multimedia Authorization Manager

Those IK re-installs might really mess up an already working IK install.

I like SampleTank, and AmpliTube, and use a lot of the T-Racks processors over the "high priced spread" stuff but IK's authorization and installs can be a PITA sometimes for some installations - that's an IK MM issue NOT PG.

Larry

Win10Pro,i9,64GB,2TBSSD+20TBHDDs,1080TI,BIAB'24,Scarlett18i8,Montage7,Fusion 8HD,QS8,Integra7,XV5080,QSR,SC-8850,SPLAT,FL21&others,Komp.14,IK suite&others, just a guitar player-AXE FX III &FM9T, FishmanTP, MIDIGuitar2, GK2/3'sw/GI20
olemon Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
I appreciate your help, Larry. I still get the SampleTank error on some projects. And when I open the Midi/Audio drivers dialogue or wizard, BiaB consistently locks up/crashes before I can exit out. Very buggy.

On some projects the Coyote synth is the default, and I'm fairly sure that Cakewalk's TTS used to show up in the list, but it doesn't now. Wonder if I need jBridge?

I also have some T-RackS plugins and checked to see if I could authorize SampleTank via the CustomShop, but no go there.

Veteran
Veteran
1. As far as IK stuff I would get ALL that installed, authorized, and WORKING outside of BIAB, before trying to run to ground the HI-Q issue (then be careful not to "overwrite" those IK installs with a fresh/re-freshed BIAB install).

Also Custom Shop is not place to do SampleTank authorizations - that's only for T-Racks and AmpliTube related stuff

2. As for your problem RT's (I'm not much of a RT user) but RT's 1760 and 1787 both work here and on the piano track - so??

3. MIDI/Audio Driver setting hang-ups.

a. First try doing a Opt. -> Return to Factory settings

b. Do you possibly have a "MIDI loop" going on with some external MIDI HW - causing the hangup? This can be due to MIDI thru going out to HW then from that HW right back to your selected "MIDI in" device and then right back out the MIDI thru to external HW (rinse and repeat, ad infinitum) (unplug/turnoff all external MIDI HW BEFORE trying to open those menus). Also could be your select AUDIO (ASIO4 ALL or HW ASIO drivers?)

4. Back to HI-Q, most issues with HI-Q, for most people SEEM to be fixed with double checking where the IK Instruments\Band-in-a-Box sub-directory is, maybe doing a HI-Q reinstall, and "relist" from within ST and/or when really pushed checking for all files in the "x:\BB\DX Settings" directory - see:

http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=278062&page=3

Good luck
Larry

olemon Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Here's a screen capture from RB. Notice that the for RT 1787, on one track it is fine, there's an audio wave and sound, on two other tracks of RT 1787 there is no audio wave form except for the Shot at the end of the song.

I've checked/double checked bar settings.

Here's the Plugins Tab and the Piano FX from the same file in BB:

And when I select Default Synth, here's an image of SampleTank. I do not get the 10-day Trial Expired message everytime. In this case I did:

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Larry Kehl

IK's authorization and installs can be a PITA sometimes for some installations - that's an IK MM issue NOT PG.
Larry

Sorry, Larry - it IS a PG issue. PG shouldnt be putting something into their BIAB that doesnt work without an awful lot of messing about by the Buyer. We buy BIAB, full stop - EVRYTHING bundled in it should work as advertised!!
End of Rant! smile
cheers
ian

Last edited by sixchannel; 02/01/15 07:16 AM.

Old Guys Rule.The older I get,the better I was!
BB2023 ULTRA, 1013, Win 7 and 10

ALL TRACKS - https://app.box.com/s/501rnzrbadng1elvi45hbf7y08kl5oxp
SOUNDCLOUD-tracks using BB-
http://soundcloud.com/sixchannel
Videos-
https://youtube.com/user/Sixchannel1
Veteran
Veteran
Olemon

On your RB screen - not sure what to tell you - need one of the RB guru's (like you, I mainly use Sonar)

However, unless I COMPLETELY misunderstood what I inferred from above (between your words and your BB screens) - you CANNOT assign a VSTi/DXI (instrument) synth to a audio track (aka RT). Unless second pic was ONLY meant to ONLY go with fist pic?

Actually I now think about it - the latter is what you meant? If so, my apologies.

Does this song, which looks like a RT only song, play in BIAB? Or is issue only in RB?

And I have to ask: have you yet confirmed that ST 2 is installed, authorized, and works FINE in standalone mode or in other applications like Sonar (completely outside BIAB/RB)?

Try BOTH versions ST 2 DXi and ST 2 VSTi (they are NOT same thing) in Sonar multi times. You may get some weirdness with the DXi.

Sixchannel

I guess we'll agree to disagree here.

Where we agree, I do think that PG's HI-Q SOUND add-ins installs are a little "squirrelly."

But I've had Cakewalk (SONAR) 3rd party add-ons that made me jump through hoops, I didn't hold CW responsible - I did ask for CW help initially since I figured they knew more about issue.

The absolute WORST were some YAMAHA "freebies" add-ons (love the key board hate the add-ons from the then non-corp. affiliate Steinberg)- I STILL can't get it working correctly (talk about squirrelly)

I have to ask

If someone goes to IK MM and gets the free ST 2, ST3, or AmpliTube, T-Racks completely independent of PG (as they could have in 2012 and still can) and has issues with installs and authorizations, and if you read IK forums you will see that STILL happens, is PG responsible, even if that person didn't buy any PG SW?

Anyone can/could have gone to IK Multimedia and downloaded the FREE ST 2 and Amplitude BEFORE PG supplied it as separate free ADD ON in BIAB 2012.

Larry

Last edited by Larry Kehl; 02/01/15 07:59 AM.

olemon Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Originally Posted By: Larry Kehl

Does this song, which looks like a RT only song, play in BIAB? Or is issue only in RB?

And I have to ask: have you yet confirmed that ST 2 is installed, authorized, and works FINE in standalone mode or in other applications like Sonar (completely outside BIAB/RB)?

Try BOTH versions ST 2 DXi and ST 2 VSTi (they are NOT same thing) in Sonar multi times. You may get some weirdness with the DXi.

I thought I was using RT's too, WMA files, not Super MIDI tracks requiring a synth. Below is a screen capture of a song with a Super MIDI 2062 track. It has SampleTank listed in the plugins tab and it plays fine, but all the bars are outlined in red and every bar setting has a 3 entered in beats per bar?

But, I just tried loading RT 1787 into a recent project and it will not play there.

Yeah, same behavior in BB and RB for that same .sgu file. All the tracks play, except for those that I'm assuming are somehow associated with SampleTank, in which case both BB and RB play audio for that Shot only. I just posted the RB picture to show the audio wave form for those tracks at that Shot.

I haven't experimented with SampleTank in Sonar, ever, but I'll see what happens. The standalone SampleTank gives me the authorization error message. Clicking the piano keyboard doesn't produce any sound.

By the way, after opening SampleTank in standalone, I closed it and opened BB. Immediately got the can't connect channels and the can't get buffer size errors.

Time for tech support.

Veteran
Veteran
One problem at a time, stick with all AUDIO and RT's issues THEN tackle MIDI and ST.

1. The song in this last (above) post is not SAME song as in previous post (RB showed song as "little cabin") where you showed it in RB with all RTs only listed tracks in BIAB pic

I want to know if THAT song and EACH RT plays in BIAB, since that song had NO MIDI tracks, no MIDI Supertracks, no HI-Q, this separates out your ST2 issues from muddying up your "RT won't play issue."

If the problem child RT 1787 doesn't' play IN BIAB (and stay in BIAB - one app at a time), and most of your other RT's DO play (correct?), maybe it is as simple as your copy of RT 1787 is kaput, got corrupted?

Re-download and/or re-install that RT set, RT Pop SET 159 (RT set 159 came out in Summer of 2012 - aka 2012.5). Or maybe you have that ONE RT folder somewhere backed up should be folder (X is drive BB installed on):

"x:\BB\RealTracks\Fiddle, Background Pop16ths Ev 085"?

2. Since you say you have authorization issues OUTSIDE of BIAB with your copy of standalone ST 2, that confirms your ST 2 issue are 100% an IK, ST 2, and/or your installation of it. Don't even waste time calling up ST 2 in Sonar, it won't work there either.

MY SUGGESTION - follow it or not:

UNINSTALL ST2 (use Windows uninstaller)- that's just so you have clean slate.

Get a fresh copy of ST 2 installer (FROM IK web site), also get current copy of Auth. Mgr. (1.0.11) from IK web site.

Then REINSTALL ST 2 (both DXi and VSTi) and then run the downloaded Auth. Mgr.

ST 2 serial numbers remain the same, but just in case they should be listed in your IK Multimedia Account, if you forget them or don't have them written down somewhere.

Larry

olemon Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Didn't mean to confuse the issue. I'm just describing a couple examples of weird behavior since installing BB/RB 2015 and the add-ons.

The glitches may well in fact be connected to SampleTank or to corrupt PG Music files, or both or....

I've been able to make RT 1787 work and not work in multiple .sgu files. In some cases that RT is associated with SampleTank as per the plugins tab, and in other cases it isn't.

MIDI Supertrack 2062 works in an older BB file, even though it is using SampleTank. But, in that particular .sgu file, where you would expect a problem if SampleTank isn't authorized, playback is grand. But, every bar now contains a beat per measure change, which it never had before.

I just opened a new BB file. Everything plays without a problem, RTs, RDs and three MIDI Super Tracks; 1886, 2059 and 2062. [SampleTank 2.x] is in the first slot of each of those tracks on the Plugins tab. BB asks if it's OK to add the SuperPatch. Select 'Yes' and SampleTank is inserted. If I click on [SampleTank 2.x] it opens and I get the 'Not Authorized' message, but that doesn't seem to matter.

I've uninstalled/re-installed SampleTank and Authorization Manager a few times and tried authorizing, but it fails. I put a ticket in to IK yesterday.

I'll first try to get SampleTank authorized. After that if I still have trouble then PG may need to send a new USB drive. I put a trouble call in to PG yesterday as well.

I'm going to try a few more tricks, but at this point I'm waiting on Tech Support I guess. I'll let you know what I learn.

olemon Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Okay. Within c:\[user]\AppData\Roaming\IK Multimedia there was a cookie file.

IK Tech Support advised to delete it. I did that and then was able to authorize SampleTank. Who knew?

On the PG Music side. Tech support had no explanation and we did not get to the bottom of it. Even after authorizing SampleTank, I still experience glitches of the sort I describe within this thread. I experienced them today while chatting online with PG Music. In one particular project I got memory errors. So far just in that one project though. New projects appear to be immune, but I'm not declaring success as I had at least one glitch in a new project.

I uninstalled/re-installed again...I'm moving on and hoping that nothing catastrophic occurs.

One thing PG Tech Support did say is that Coyote WT should be the default synth.

All I know for sure is that after installing 2015 for the first time, I had no trouble until I opened an older existing project.

Thanks for your time.

Veteran
Veteran
Again I understand your frustration.

I really wish I could suggest anything at this point to make your pre-BIAB 2105 songs work without all the headaches you are having.

Did you ever your audio (RT's) issues fully resolved/working?
Larry

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Hello Olemon

Can you send a couple of those problem SGU files to support and reference this thread?

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
olemon Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Sure will, Andrew.

Scott

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
The usual cause of an "Instrument Not Found" would be a messed-up or partial installation, and the cure would be to re-install the Hi-Q sounds (using the Dec. 2014 Hi-Q sounds installer that was included with the update), as well as the BB 2015 latest patch.

Here's a test that you could do to see if that is the case....

For example, lets test the “Classic Bass” sound.
You should have these 2 files, with these 2 dates: (assuming BB is installed to c:\bb)
1. c:\bb\DX Settings\Hi-Q 034 01 Bass, Electric, 61 Classic SampleTank.tgs dated 6/26/2014
2. C:\Program Files (x86)\IK Multimedia\SampleTank 2.5\Instruments\Band-in-a-Box\Bass\61 Classic Bass PG.stip dated 6/26/2014

If your dates are different, and you have BB 2015, then you should update the installation as follows:
To fix this problem (assuming version 2015)

1. Install the latest BB 2015 patch.
2. Install the latest 2015 HiQ instrument installer. (should be Dec 2014 or later) (e.g. hi-q_instruments_sampletank_01-02.exe)

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.
olemon Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Peter,

Both of those files with the matching dates reside on the C:\ drive.

I am no longer getting the Part x: Instrument Not Found errors, but am still not able to Generate / re-Generate RT on certain song tracks.

Andrew has contacted me via email and I've responded. Thank you all for looking into this.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,564
Posts734,442
Members38,492
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
VIPBET사설토토, GlebeGreg, michel vermeulen, Mikanh132, ABE
38,491 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 185