Page 2 of 2 1 2
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Pat Marr
regarding note control: I was wondering if it would be helpful to sing through a hardware pitch correction device, and send the corrected audio to the program. That would save the program some overhead of having to pitch correct before it knows where to place the note.

Since that appears to be the major problem... the solution could be fairly simple and avaialble now to anyone who has a voice live or similar hardware for correcting vocal pitch.

Going back to Melodyne...

this wouldn't work for live performances... but for anyone who wants to record midi tracks using their voice as MIDI controller, Melodyne would offer several advantages:

1) it could pitch correct the voice automatically If you are going to send the notes to an instrument patch, most instruments are naturally more perfectly intonated than the human voice. Pitch correcting would increase realism.

2) you could use melodyne like piano roll to experiment and change your track after recording it

3) Melodyne can create all kinds of harmonies from a melody

4) Melodyne also provides other editing tools to fatten up or slim down a note, extend it, shorten it, slide into it, add or subtract vibrato, split it into multiple notes, change key etc etc

Also Melodyne has one of the best audio to MIDI converters available today. So if you have Melodyne you really don't need any other software IF you are not doing this live.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
So just to be perfectly clear to an admitted borderline midiot - are you guys saying I can sing a part into Melodyne and then replace the resulting midi file with another instrument and it will be as expressive as what he's doing with the cello in the video without me having to do a bunch of midi editing?

Josie

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Sundance
So just to be perfectly clear to an admitted borderline midiot - are you guys saying I can sing a part into Melodyne and then replace the resulting midi file with another instrument and it will be as expressive as what he's doing with the cello in the video without me having to do a bunch of midi editing?

Josie

DANG! I knew somebody would ask that!

Truth is, I don't know yet. I haven't had a chance to test it yet (regarding whether the nuance translates to the MIDI in Melodyne)

Everything else I can vouch for, as I have done all those things in the past in Melodyne. HOWEVER...

I know that Melodyne RECOGNIZES volume variance in its blobs, because it provides a way to control it. If it save expressive change as volume CCs, then it wouldn't be as good as Imitone, because all the good synths get their layering cues from VELOCITY.

But if it does recognize and export velocity, then I'd put a lot of faith in Melodyne.

The answer is easy to verify if you have Melodyne and the time to test it.
1) open Melodyne and sing your test melody, making sure there is lots of dynamic change in it.

2) export as MIDI and open it up in RB

3) go to piano roll and set the bottom piano roll window to see the velocity. If the velocity markers are all in a straight line, then it isn't capturing that information. If they are at different heights, then it is.

I'm trying to do my taxes today, but next time I take a break, I'll test this and report back.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
OK, I just performed the experiment to determine what Melodyne can do regarding turning a vocal track into believable MIDI.

I recorded a short vocal melody in RB,
Exported it as WAV
opened it in Melodyne
tweaked it a little, (but it might not have been necessary)
saved it as MIDI
reopened it in RB
examined it in the piano roll to see if Melodyne captured the velocity changes. (it DID!) see graphic below:

As you can see the lower pane shows variation on the velocity. I applied a good soft synth that is capable of using the velocity difference to take advantage of different sounds at different velocities. As expected, the synth sounded different based on the velocity.

With a little practice, once you know how to obtain the velocity breakpoints your soft synth requires, you could really blow it out of the water with just your voice as MIDI controller!!

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
velocity.jpg (175.55 KB, 104 downloads)
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Here's my test. Grabbed a vocal line, saved it as midi in melodyne editor. Brought it into biab, transposed it down 12 semitones (I think) and changed the patch to cello.

The midi file didn't line up at all with the vocal line, though!!! Not sure why, might be user ignorance or maybe I didn't set the tempo correctly -- just a test, though.

I would have to be "more solid" on my vocal line to expect excellent results, I expect.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=551052&songID=13038136

Now at bandcamp: Crows Say Vee-Eh @ bandcamp or soundcloud: Kevin @ soundcloud
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
regarding the need for a lot of editing...

In Garritan, the effects section is set up very well for tailoring effects to the instrument. In my example, I added reverb with a long predelay and a long decay, and that was enough to make it sound pretty dang good. However, if I were using it in an actual project, I would definitely tweak the velocity and volumes to make it as realistic as possible.

I'm not sure there is a tweak-free solution out there. The stuff they're doing with Imitone in these videos is surely not the results all the early adopters are getting, or they'd be selling it as a finished product already.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Kemmrich
Here's my test. Grabbed a vocal line, saved it as midi in melodyne editor. Brought it into biab, transposed it down 12 semitones (I think) and changed the patch to cello.

The midi file didn't line up at all with the vocal line, though!!! Not sure why, might be user ignorance or maybe I didn't set the tempo correctly -- just a test, though.

I would have to be "more solid" on my vocal line to expect excellent results, I expect.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=551052&songID=13038136

I noticed that my MIDI and audio didn't automatically line up in RB... most likely Melodyne doesn't keep the dead space at the beginning that would have lined it up. But you should be able to use the "NUDGE MIDI" command to line it back up with the audio

all in all, it sounds like it did a pretty good job of making MIDI out of your vocal line! Thanks for sharing the result of your test, Kevin!

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
That was informative Pat and thanks Kevin for giving it a go! I'll have to try it. I only have Melodyne Essentials not Editor.

Josie

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
That was informative Pat and thanks Kevin for giving it a go! I'll have to try it. I only have Melodyne Essentials not Editor.

Josie

I'm assuming all versions offer the ability to save as MIDI... if all do, I'd bet the MIDI export works the same in both versions. And since I didn't really have to tweak the audio in Melodyne before saving as MIDI, the other differences shouldn't matter.

You can quickly see if your version supports saving as MIDI by using the SAVE AS command, and see what options are available. Hopefully one of them will be MIDI.

Keep us posted Josie! I'm curious to hear what you come up with!

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
there are different ways to make generic vocal sounds, and I suspect they would all yield slightly different velocity results, because some would be more percussive.

For example, singing BA_BA_BAAAA would introduce an increased velocity at the start of the note... which probably would not be suitable for a cello, but might work fine for a mallet instrument or piano.

Different ways to hum include

MMMMmmmmmm
NNNnnnnnnn
Ahhhhhhh
Ooooooooo

and you could introduce a consonant when you want more velocity

Thoughts to consider for anybody who spends time playing with this

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert

Josie

If File --> Save As -- Midi doesn't exist then you can switch to the 30 day free trial of Editor (if you want) by
Originally Posted By: Melodyne Support
Dear Kevin,
No, not at all. In fact you can start the trial period from within your “Melodyne singletrack” installation. Simply go to

HELP -> LICENSE

in your current “Melodyne” installation and activate the 30 days trial there.

Best wishes,
Jörg Hüttner

Off-Topic
E
E
Hey, all -- Developer here, swooping in to make the conversation awkward.

I just put out a greatly-improved version of my software which is much more accurate and pushes the note onset latency way down. It's the first version which is able to pick up on quick staccatos in the mid-to-low end. The main disadvantage of 0.7.0 is that it sometimes creates brief (< .05 second) notes an octave above or below what you're singing. The fast tracking also means every pitch deviation in your voice is going to come through -- meaning a combination of scale locking and practice is usually necessary to be nailing each note.

Have a listen to this unedited audio recording from an unplanned five-piece jam at NAMM. Chaotic, but a heck of a lot of fun and you can see the software beginning to approach a point where a sense of proficiency can be attained. (Drums are not controlled by imitone.)

Passing audio through a pitch corrector prior to imitone is not especially helpful as imitone performs corrections internally -- though it's true that a high latency pitch corrector such as AutoTune realtime might give you more "stable" results, it would also reduce the responsiveness of my system to the point where you lose the sense of playing the instrument. I plan on implementing this high-latency behavior myself as a "composer mode".

Regarding the comments about velocity I'll speak to my disadvantage here and say that currently imitone transmits no velocity information. So far I've been specializing it for "continuous" instruments with CC11 (expression) and CC1 (modwheel vibrato) articulations, so it feels a lot better when used with EG. strings / brass / woodwinds. I plan on adding a velocity mode this month which should get EG. guitars / pianos / timpani feeling good.

If you guys would like to nominate someone from the forums to try the latest software and report back with their thoughts, I'm happy to provide a free copy. It's not finished, so it won't be perfect, but it's crossing a threshold that I'm very excited about. smile

I can be contacted at [my first name] @ imitone.com

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Wow Evan! How cool is this!

I am really intrigued by the possibilities. It's a wonderful idea and looks and sounds like so much fun too. Thank you for coming on the forum and being so forthcoming. Loved the Namm jam audio.

I'm tempted to nominate myself because I'd really love to try it. I don't want to come off selfish though, so I nominate Kevin. grin

Josie

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Always great to see the developer jumping in!!!!

Ha, ha I am doing FAWM this year (writing/record 14 songs in February) so I am not sure I can adequately do it justice. One question: can you just feed it a vocal wav file? or does it have to be live?

If no one else steps up, I will definitely give it a try at least on a few tunes and report back. I'll like the thought of adding cello or trumpet on some tunes. Maybe I'll even try a string quartet type of thing.

I have a Vista 32-bit PC and a windows 7 64-bit laptop. I use sonar 8.5.3 (32-bit) and BIAB. I have sonar x1 producer, but I never got around to using it too much (I was always trying to just get something done).

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Hey how about a thank you for the nomination KEVIN! LOL!

Seriously, try a flute too please. smile

Josie

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Hey how about a thank you for the nomination KEVIN! LOL!

Seriously, try a flute too please. smile

Josie

Ha, ha -- Oh yes, Thank you, thank you. I have already written two songs for FAWM today (including a one-hour song skirmish) so I am getting burned out and I forgot my manners!! Now I have to go off to two (!) super bowl parties. I don't want to be sociable (away from the fawm forums) during February!

Kevin

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
bump on this thread-
Has anyone used Imitone with success in RealBand?
I have been trying to use it with Garritan instruments and not getting far.
Imitone is recognised as a midi input device but does not seem to work with Garritan and record much of anything.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,394
Posts732,480
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195