You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#277846 - 01/02/15 10:07 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Call to PG re: HI Q and Sampletank - need TREATISE.
Larry Kehl Online   content
Expert

Loc: New Mexico
There are other videos and stickies for hot button issues/topics but very little causes as much confusion (and maybe misinformation as spread by people like me) as this thing called Hi-Q instruments and the joined-at-the-hip topic SampleTank (what is and is not installed - when and where).

I think the folks at PG that know explicitly what is invoked by BIAB, and when, need to put a sticky preferably with pictures or video and call it:

"A Treatise on all Things Hi-Q and SampleTank as it Relates to BIAB (and ONLY to BIAB): the Facts and the Myths"

Actually you could probably get a US Gov't grant to help pay for it - we waste more tax money down south here on useless crap in a minute than you in Canada can spend in year!

Respectively
Larry
Win7&10 Pro 64,i7-2600k,32GB,1OTBs HDD,RX480 8GB,FW-410,MIDIplus4x4,Montage7,Fusion 8HD,QS8,GR-50,Integra7, XV5080,Fantom-XR,QSR,SC-8850,Nanosynth,SPLAT,AD2,ST3,Kontakt 5,Amptube4,way too many other VSTi's - but I'm really a guitar player

#277850 - 01/02/15 11:07 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Call to PG re: HI Q and Sampletank - need TREATISE. [Re: Larry Kehl]
ahfei Offline
Enthusiast

yes, I am also very confused by the 2....

#277864 - 01/03/15 02:24 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Call to PG re: HI Q and Sampletank - need TREATISE. [Re: Larry Kehl]
receder Offline
Journeyman

Loc: North Yorkshire, England
Good point Larry.

After submitting my post on the subject I realised there are numerous other threads on the same or similar topics relating to HiQ / sampletank.

I agree that there needs to be a PG led sticky/FAQ on the subject. A good starting point would be your information in the post about "Instrument not found" and also the post 192278 which has a section with pictures posted by Noel I think.

Rec

Edited by receder (01/03/15 02:32 AM)

#278040 - 01/03/15 06:00 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Call to PG re: HI Q and Sampletank - need TREATISE. [Re: receder]
rikkisbears Offline
Apprentice

Loc: Australia
Hi,
Certainly had me confused, but I think I'm sorted. Thanks to Larry and a couple of other suggestions.

BIAB 2015
Korg PA3X
Yamaha s950
Korg PA800

#278048 - 01/03/15 07:25 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Call to PG re: HI Q and Sampletank - need TREATISE. [Re: Larry Kehl]
ahfei Offline
Enthusiast

The exe setup file has this info: (which I guess many missed it just by cliicking next during installation)

Using SampleTank with Band-in-a-Box

IK Multimedia's SampleTank DXi plugin is installed automatically, and should work to play Hi-Q instruments within Band-in-a-Box automatically, without any further setup (assuming that you have installed the Hi-Q instruments).

If you wish to run the SampleTank installer by itself in the future for whatever reason, you will find this file in the bb folder:
ikmultimedia_sampletank_2.5.5.b.exe

The Band-in-a-Box Hi-Q instruments are a separate installation / download.

The complete User Manual for SampleTank can be accessed via the Start menu (usually Start | Programs | IK Multimedia | SampleTank).

Note: Viewing the SampleTank user interace in the DXi Plugins window, you might see one of the following messages:

1 -- "SampleTank is not authorized, 10 day grade period over..."

Solution: It isn't necessary to authorize SampleTank to use it simply for Band-in-a-Box Hi-Q instruments, only to do more advanced things in the SampleTank interface. To authorize SampleTank, see the instructions below.

2 -- "SampleTank is not running with administrator privileges...".

Solution: It isn't necessary for SampleTank to be running with admin privileges, in order to use it simply for Hi-Q instruments. To run SampleTank with admin privileges, you need to run Band-in-a-Box (bbw.exe) with admin privileges, since it is the host program. To do this, right-click on the bbw.exe file in the bb folder, and select "Run as administrator" from the Compatibility tab.

Using AmpliTube with Band-in-a-Box

IK Multimedia's AmpliTube VST plugin (32 bit version) is installed automatically to your default VST plugins folder, and also to the Program Files | Ik Multimedia" folder. (or Program Files (x86) if you have a 64-bit version of Windows).

If you wish to run the AmpliTube installer by itself in the future for whatever reason, you will find this file in the bb folder:
ikmultimedia_amplitube_3.11.2.exe

If you require the 64-bit plugin or standalone version of AmpliTube for another program you have (other than Band-in-a-Box), you can download IK Multimedia's complete AmpliTube installer from your User area of their website (see "Authorizing IK Multimedia products" below).

To use AmpliTube in Band-in-a-Box, you first need to have "Realtime audio plugins" enabled. It should be enabled by default, but if not go to: Audio menu | Audio Drivers/Settings, and select the "Use RealTime VST Plugins" checkbox.

Open the VST/DX/Plugins Window. You can get there via Opt. | MIDI/Audio Driver Setup --> [VST/DXi Synth Settings]

Click on any one of the Plugin drop-downs (except the top one if the track is a MIDI/synth track), and select the last item in the list, which is Add VST Plugin. Now, navigate to the folder that you installed the plugin in and select it.

The complete User Manual for AmpliTube can be accessed via the Start menu (usually Start | Programs | IK Multimedia | AmpliTube 3)

Authorizing IK Multimedia products

Ik Multimedia's products require authorization to be fully functional after a 10 day grace period.

Note: It isn't necessary to authorize SampleTank to use it simply for Band-in-a-Box Hi-Q instruments.

To authorize the product:

1. Create an account at the Ik Multimedia website if you don't have one already.
<http://www.ikmultimedia.com/userarea/>

2. Run the Authorization Manager program. You can find this in Start menu | Programs | Ik Multimedia, or run it from the "Program Files | Ik Multimedia" folder. (or Program Files (x86) if you have a 64-bit version of Windows)

3. Follow the steps in the Authorization Manager. You will find your serial numbers on this page.
<http://www.ikmultimedia.com/userarea/my-products/>

#278084 - 01/04/15 03:41 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Call to PG re: HI Q and Sampletank - need TREATISE. [Re: Larry Kehl]
receder Offline
Journeyman

Loc: North Yorkshire, England
Hi ahfei,

Agreed that some of the information is there but what about other scenarios:-

a. You already have Sampletank 2.5 XT (or similar) installed as I did - what should you do re BIAB ST and/or Hi-Q instruments
b. Same as a. but you have moved your instruments folder to a larger hard drive (caused me problems as the BIAB patches only updated the instruments folder on the C drive although I think Andrew said that 415 should fix this)
c. You have ST3 Free installed already (does not allow import of existing instruments)
d. You have ST3 SE or Full (allows import of existing instruments)
e. You want to use the VSTi plugin rather than the DXi one.

There are probably other scenarios but that's for starters.

Ideally the Hi-Q and/or BIAB ST installer would eventually be able to detect and handle the above situations prompting for user action where necessary, although e. might not be possible for everyone as I suspect that only the DXi plugin license comes with BIAB.

Edited by receder (01/04/15 03:44 AM)

#278230 - 01/05/15 06:46 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Call to PG re: HI Q and Sampletank - need TREATISE. [Re: Larry Kehl]
ahfei Offline
Enthusiast

One more thing, BIAB installation created a Band In a Box folder in programs files(x86)ik multimedia/sampletank/instruments that is not available on the hard drive itself, so does running BIAB from laptop is the same as running from hard drive only?

#283003 - 02/02/15 05:25 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Call to PG re: HI Q and Sampletank - need TREATISE. [Re: Larry Kehl]
olemon Offline
Journeyman

Reading this thread as I am having some BB and ST2.x issues too. I was also paging through the literature and tutorials and came across that note about not needing to authorize ST2.x for it to work in BB.

Thanks for the discussion.
https://soundcloud.com/scott-h-olson

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® Version 2018 Build 506 Update Available!

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows users can download the latest Build 506 at http://www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#506

Summary of Changes since 2018 Build 205:
Added: "Export Song as Audio File..." menu item has been added to the Audio menu.
Added: BB2018 tutorials folder.
Added: New styles (STY files) for many of the new RealTracks in Sets 278-300 and MIDI SuperTracks sets 25-27.
Added: StylePicker User Categories updated for Xtra Styles PAK 4.
Updated: Styles database
Updated: Various improvements (including Db offset adjustments) to many of the new STY files and .SGU demos included with RealTracks Sets 278-300.
Fixed: "K3" did not work in the chord sheet for copying 3 bars (8 bars would be copied instead).
Fixed: Band-in-a-Box always opens with a maximized window briefly before resizing to the user's saved size.
Fixed: Band-in-a-Box will not open using the proper window size if the Mixer window was open while exiting.
Fixed: Deleting a region of chords would cause "Undo Delete Bars" to appear in the Edit menu, but do nothing unless chosen twice.
Fixed: Error "Input and output sample rates must match" might show when the devices do have matching sample rates.
Fixed: Flash messages were not being added to the flash message log.
Fixed: If Band-in-a-Box was in DAW Plugin mode while exiting, the window size was not restored the next time opening the program.
Fixed: Rendering .m4a or video files might fail and request that the user install QuickTime if using Windows 7. QuickTime should only be necessary for Windows Vista or XP.
Fixed: Some of the Oohs and Aahs (Vocal) RealTracks were not working correctly, and they have been greatly improved.
Fixed: Sometimes when deleting a note in the notation window, you will be asked "OK to delete chord".
Fixed: The "Show Flash Tips" setting did not have any effect when disabled.
Fixed: WashboardBluegrass drums.
Fixed: When exiting DAW Plugin mode, the window would not return to its previous size (it would become maximized).

Have Your Band-in-a-Box® Delivered In Time for Christmas!

The gift of music... some say this is the greatest gift of all! Imagine receiving the tools to help you create your own music for Christmas... like Band-in-a-Box!

If you are in the United States or Canada, order Band-in-a-Box before 12:30 pm Pacific time December 21st for Express delivery in time for Christmas.

If you are outside of North America, order before 12:30 pm Pacific time December 19th for Express delivery in time for Christmas.

With major savings and Bonus PAKs until December 31st, it's a great time to purchase Band-in-a-Box upgrades as a gift for someone you know... or for yourself!
http://www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.packages.htm

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 - Xtra Styles PAK Quick Start Tutorial Video

Our latest video includes a Quick Start tutorial on the installation, locations, and use of the Band-in-a-Box® Xtra Styles PAKs in Version 2018 for Windows. Video: Xtra Styles PAK Quick Start Tutorial

We have put all of our Xtra Styles PAKs on SALE! Until December 31st, purchase any Xtra Styles PAK (1 - 4) for just $29 each! (reg. $49) www.pgmusic.com/xtrastyles.php?os=win

User Blog - How To Record a Cover Song Using Band-in-a-Box and RealBand

Joanne Cooper's final blog post for 2017, How to record a cover song using Band-in-a-Box and RealBand is a must-read!

Joanne summarizes the steps she took to produce her cover of "Old Lang Syne" - her final result was posted to the User Showcase Forum: Listen to Auld Lang Syne

https://www.joannecooper.co.za/blog/blog/how-to-record-a-cover-song-using-band-in-a-box-and-realband

Announcing…The Birth of a Song (w/Floyd Jane)

We are excited to announce the release of a new project: The Birth of a Song (w/Floyd Jane)

Songwriter Floyd Jane shows the songwriting process from inspiration to performance and publication: http://www.pgmusic.com/?vid=IYMMZVvQdCw

The idea for this project came about when many members on this forum and elsewhere were asking questions about the song writing process. There are many aspects, and many parts of it necessary to create a song, get it arranged, performed, and then published on the internet. So we asked the great songwriter Floyd Jane, who is a regular member on this forum, if he could help. Floyd agreed and was even able to collaborate with other forum members, Janice and Bud. The result is this video we put together that you can see on YouTube or Facebook, called "The Birth of a Song (w/Floyd Jane)".

We hope this video helps other songwriters with their songwriting process, and also shows them tools that are available to them along the way. Also, we mention this User Showcase Forum, and hope to see many new aspiring or accomplished songwriters join this community :blush:

A big Thank You to Floyd for sharing your knowledge with the community and making this possible. And to Janice and Bud for your great collaboration!

Here is Floyd's original forum post for his song "A Little Bit Of Me": http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=433190

Check out Floyd / Janice & Bud’s music here:
http://floydjane.com/
https://www.janiceandbud.com/

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows - 49 Requests Fulfilled!

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows boasts more than 50 new features... and a lot of the new features fill the requests posted by program users!

Some of these include:

Q. I am learning guitar. The RealTracks are very helpful in that I can hear great guitar players, and most of the tracks have tab and notation as well. But there is much more to guitar, could you include some videos of some of the RealTracks Artists? Because I would learn much more from seeing a guitarist than just hearing them.

A. We have a major new feature called "Video RealTracks." These work and sound like RealTracks, but you get to see a video of the Guitarist (or whatever instrument) playing as well. The amazing thing is that this works with any chord progression you type in. So, if you want to learn to play like the great guitarist Brent Mason, for example, you can type in chords to any progression you are interested in, and then hear and see a video of Brent soloing over your progression. Now you can learn much quicker, as it helps to see how a musician is performing, as well as to hear.

Q. I love the Audio Chord Wizard, as it figures out chords from mp3 and other audio files. But it is a separate program from Band-in-a-Box, and I can’t go back and forth to change things easily.

A. We've solved that, as BiaB 2018 has integrated the Audio Chord Wizard directly into Band-in-a-Box. Now load an audio file into BiaB, open the Audio Edit Window – Audio Chord Wizard mode, and let it automatically figure out the bar lines and chords for the song.

Q. I like to save songs as MP3 files, and can't do this with BiaB, except a very low quality one, 64kbps.

A. We've improved this, by adding support for Windows Media Foundation. This allows you to save MP3 in your choice of resolutions, up to very high 320mpbs. Better still, it works on current versions of Windows (Windows 7,8,10) and also on older versions too (Vista, XP).

We've answered 49 questions - review all of these answers on our forum post "49 of your Problems solved? List of 49 Requests fulfilled in Band-in-a-Box 2018" here.

All of the new features in Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows can be reviewed at http://www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.new.htm

RealBand® 2018 for Windows Build 3 Update Available!

RealBand 2018 users can update their version with the latest patch, Build 3. Download this patch here

Summary of Changes since 2018 Build 3:

Added: Section Numbers supported. All section letter menus now include numbers 1 through 9 in addition to letters A through Z.
Fixed: Section letters in Notation Window were not being resized if the notation was zoomed in/out
Fixed: RealBand might freeze when generating audio harmonies
Fixed: Loading in a BB song (MGU/SGU) or generating realtracks could freeze up the program.
Fixed: Chords in Notation/LeadSheet on 1st beat of a bar were being drawn too close to bar lines.
Fixed: Support for XP and Vista.

http://www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#2018_3

Forum Stats
26716 Members
50 Forums
48897 Topics
399752 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
Ava Smith, Elsa R, Bell, scotty-mcd, chadrips

26716 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)