Print Thread
Go To
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
R
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
R
I have been trying unsuccessfully to test my 64 bit VSTs (most of which are in Cakewalk's Sonar X3). They do work and sound good when set up but when I go to a different track (say drums then go to guitar), the dialog box for the plugins freezes. It eventually gives me this message:

Dispatcher opcode 15 failed (PX-64 Percussion Strip/1129803891).

The plugin dialog box shows jBridge is there and working. I have looked at the settings for jBridge in that dialog box and it mentions a problem with opcode 19 and to check the checkbox if that is a problem in the VST. (I am guessing at what all those settings mean anyway.)

If I keep messing around with the dialog box, eventually the whole BiaB program crashes to desktop but is still running as a background process. I then have to restart the computer to clear out the memory.

My system is home built Gigabyte GA-X58A mobo, i7 processor, 12 gigs of RAM, 3 internal HDs and two external HDs running on Windows 7 Professional. Sound card is Onyx 1640 firewire and graphics card is GTX 470 Geforce PCIe card.

Has anyone experience this kind of problem or is it associated with the fact that Sonar VSTs should not be used in BiaB 2015?

Thanks,

RichR
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Rich, what VSTis are you trying to use?

I have Sonar and will try to duplicate the problem.

Note that I have had limited success with jBridge in BiaB but to be honest I quit trying to get things to work. Personally I prefer to work in Sonar than BiaB however about 99% of my songs start in BiaB.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
R
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
R
I have only tried Channel Tool for the "Combo" channel and Percussion Strip for the "Drum" channel.

I guess maybe I should go to the jBridge site and ask this question as well.

Thanks for any help Mario, it is appreciated.

RichR
Veteran
Veteran
Rich both VSTs crashed BiaB here also. I surmise both are proprietary to Sonar.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Veteran
Veteran
Mario I was about to suggest the same thing - but tired the PX and Channel tools in Reaper and they work, so....

But I think I have run across a few that are SONAR only but right now not sure which ones

And as a reminder there are a some Sonar add-ins that are DX (strange since I thought they quit supporting DX a while ago) and if you installed 64 bit Sonar that's what you'll get: 64 bit DX plugins and JBridge doesn't work with DX just VST.

JBridge will work indirectly with DX/DXis if you put a mfx/dx/dxi wrapper around them (see the JBRdige site item 18)

https://jstuff.wordpress.com/jbridge/jbridge-troubleshooting/

Also note that BIAB/RB does find all the DX/DXi items on your PC and lists them for you (if you want VST/VSTi -you have to hunt those down and add-in manually) but you don't know if they are 32 or 64 bit until you get the "cannot connect error."

Larry

Win10Pro,i9,64GB,2TBSSD+20TBHDDs,1080TI,BIAB'24,Scarlett18i8,Montage7,Fusion 8HD,QS8,Integra7,XV5080,QSR,SC-8850,SPLAT,FL21&others,Komp.14,IK suite&others, just a guitar player-AXE FX III &FM9T, FishmanTP, MIDIGuitar2, GK2/3'sw/GI20
R
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
R
That is what I thought. Thanks Larry. It would have been nice but I guess I will have to go back to exporting a .wav file and bringing it into Sonar X3 to do the mastering stuff. I guess jBridge is a not so usable purchase for me. (sigh)

RichR
Veteran
Veteran
To be fair

I DOUBT whether Cakewalk wanted most of those Producer/Platinum only "extra's" (supplied plug ins) to work anywhere BUT in Sonar - or they'd sell them separately.

Win10Pro,i9,64GB,2TBSSD+20TBHDDs,1080TI,BIAB'24,Scarlett18i8,Montage7,Fusion 8HD,QS8,Integra7,XV5080,QSR,SC-8850,SPLAT,FL21&others,Komp.14,IK suite&others, just a guitar player-AXE FX III &FM9T, FishmanTP, MIDIGuitar2, GK2/3'sw/GI20
Veteran
Veteran
Larry, is your version of Reaper 32 or 64 bit?

Veteran
Veteran
I've only installed the 32 bit (for now) so the 64 bit stuff gets "x64bridged" in Reaper.

RANT (MarioD this is not at you - this is just in general)

All this whining about needing 64 bit "stuff" I think is as much about "bragging rights" to show off the shiny new stuff as it is actual WORK NEED.

I still have as much, or maybe a hair more, 32 then 64 bit "stuff" - it's only been in last YEAR or so that I started accumulating 64 bit stuff and most was part of other products (e.g. Sonar) I yes I did BUY ST3 (exception proves the rule?)

Frankly some of the 32 bit stuff is BETTER IMHO (smaller footprint, faster, less obnoxious, easier to use - or still just better sounding (e.g., "VB3" VSTi the B3 organ module)

Having lots of pseudo dials, knobs, sliders, graphs, and slick interfaces don't make it WORK or sound any better - it might, it might not.

Rant off

Having said all that if there are actual use issues with JBridge (even if only a $10 app) then they should be corrected.

Finally, To confirm what I said in last post:

Just checked and the "Engineering FX Suite" install for Sonar Pro/Plat 2015 had this statement:

"Channel Tools, LP-64 Multiband, and LP-64 EQ are all included in this download. *Requires SONAR Professional or Platinum"

I'm sure they meant if you BUY Sonar Pro/Plat you get that suite - so the fact that ANY of them work outside of Sonar is gravy.

Larry

R
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
R
Thanks guys...

I appreciate the comments and ideas. I can understand Cakewalk's position on its VSTs and all. I was just trying the jBridge and I only have 64 bit VSTs from Cakewalk. It was just experimentation and you answered my questions well.

I'm sorry it took me so long to reply as this forum for some reason does not keep me logged in. I have been trying to respond for the past afternoon and evening and every time I long in and then go to this section of the forum, the forum logs me out and I can't reply. Seems strange but sometimes (like now) it works but most of the time it logs me out before I get to this topic.

Another mystery. shocked

RichR
Expert
Expert
I am also getting lots of problems

I often see this message:

"Jbridge 1.7b3, Failed to wait for auxhost initialization".

..then BIAB crashes "Band in a Box application has stopped working"

I have two VST track loaded the melody and the thru track, with NeoSoulKeys

Up until now if I load the program twice it seems to work.

With two VSTs loaded the program takes a long time to load (about 3 minutes) I have a reasonably fast system, core i7 2.6, 12 gig of RAM, SSD system disk.

I am also getting pops and crackles much more often, I have a Focusrite Liquid 56 and have upped the buffer size to 196 for BIAB.

Roll on 64bit rewrite.

Z

Last edited by ZeroZero; 02/02/15 11:04 PM.

Win 11 64, Asus Rog Strix z390 mobo, 64 gig RAM, 8700k
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: Larry Kehl

All this whining about needing 64 bit "stuff" I think is as much about "bragging rights" to show off the shiny new stuff as it is actual WORK NEED.

Rant off

Just discussing Larry smile

I have had Cubase for more than 20 years, on 32 bit systems. I ran lots of 32 VSTs. I was always encountering issues with sound breaking up. You can only get so far by freezing tracks. I switched to 64 bit (everything) and its like opening the window, everything just works. I can run full orchestras, heavy duty synths, what I need. My point is that its not about more buttons its about stability and room to breath. IMO

Nowadays I only have one (out of about forty) 32 bit VST left a NI Hammond called B3.

Z

Last edited by ZeroZero; 02/02/15 11:15 PM.

Veteran
Veteran
Sonar's plugs haven't always been proprietary. If you've been a Sonar user for years, you might consider reinstalling an old version long enough to copy the plugs to a new location before you uninstall it.

I recently reinstalled Sonar 6 32&64 bit for exactly that reason. It still runs in compatibility mode, and its very stable.

Another thing I like about Sonar 6 is that its menu structure is a LOT like Real Band's, so there's a lot less of the dreaded "2 different DAWs" confusion.

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: ZeroZero
Originally Posted By: Larry Kehl

Rant off

Just discussing Larry smile

I have had Cubase for more than 20 years, on 32 bit systems. I ran lots of 32 VSTs. I was always encountering issues with sound breaking up. You can only get so far by freezing tracks. I switched to 64 bit (everything) and its like opening the window, everything just works. I can run full orchestras, heavy duty synths, what I need. My point is that its not about more buttons its about stability and room to breath. IMO

Nowadays I only have one (out of about forty) 32 bit VST left a NI Hammond called B3.

Z

00, I am into similar issues. I could only complete two measures of a track at a time when in 32-bit. Than bounce to clips, Sonar's terminology to convert MIDI to Audio thus freeing up the Ram, then do another two measures. Not fun! With 64-bit I also can do a complete song with no problems.

Heavy MIDI users with excellent softsynth sound sources NEED 64 bit software and I think that is the dividing line between 32 and 64 bitters. If you use RTs or RTs with a couple of inexpensive softsynths like ST2 then 32 bits are fine. But for people like us 32 bit does not work.

The jBridge work around may work for some but not stable enough for me. I have had many crashes with it. I quit trying to use it because like I said previously I do most of my work in Sonar.

Funny that you should mention NIs B3. One of the few 32 bit softsynths is NI's B3II, the best Hammond B3 emulator ever IMO.

Expert
Expert

Quote:

00, I am into similar issues. I could only complete two measures of a track at a time when in 32-bit. Than bounce to clips, Sonar's terminology to convert MIDI to Audio thus freeing up the Ram, then do another two measures. Not fun! With 64-bit I also can do a complete song with no problems.

Heavy MIDI users with excellent softsynth sound sources NEED 64 bit software and I think that is the dividing line between 32 and 64 bitters. If you use RTs or RTs with a couple of inexpensive softsynths like ST2 then 32 bits are fine. But for people like us 32 bit does not work.

The jBridge work around may work for some but not stable enough for me. I have had many crashes with it. I quit trying to use it because like I said previously I do most of my work in Sonar.

Funny that you should mention NIs B3. One of the few 32 bit softsynths is NI's B3II, the best Hammond B3 emulator ever IMO.

Agreed its not a proper solution. I have only two copies of NeoSOulKeys loaded in a simple 8 bar loop. My buffer has been racked up to 256 (usually 64) and I am getting pops and clicks. NeoSoulKeys doesnt use samples and is not a heavyweight VST as far as I can guess.

There is no more room for sliding around back alleys with quick fixes that work a bit sometimes, its a rewrite that's needed in 64 bit. IMO. The program is a gem and I hate to see it rot on the vine.

Z

Last edited by ZeroZero; 02/03/15 09:45 AM.

Veteran
Veteran
RE - B3's soft synths: this either proves the subjective nature of sound and music or, for the truly cynical, I guess it proves my stubbornness. I have GSi's VB3 AND NI's current offering Vintage Organs, (and others) I prefer the former to the latter. Full disclosure - I never had NI's B4 version, which I think is what you meant MarioD, so that one MIGHT or might not be better.

I am not alone in this either - at least as of a year ago (Nov '13)
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=395972&start=15

As to rest of topic - I guess we'll "agree to disagree" again.

We all have different HW, PC's, work, and work flows. I GET that some folks, for whatever reason, have recording, playback and rendering issues using BIAB or RB. However, others do not (or very little). And NO it's not exclusively because I/we USE nothing but RT's.

I don't really use RT's. When you think about it, PG didn't even produce/distribute RT's until BIAB 2008 (RD's BIAB 2007) and even then the first year there wasn't a lot - so it's not like RT's have been the only reason BIAB runs.

Sure, I (we all) play around with RT's.

But, in general, I do my thing my way, which is essentially all MIDI, with a lot of help from BIAB styles & song progressions, using a LOT of synths (internal and yes external as well).

So I think I fall into that HEAVY MIDI user pile, I don't even use loops. And, so FAR I have NOT needed 64 bit, or I would have installed 64 bit Sonar before now. I sure as heck would not sit here and make work harder on myself last 4 years (all the longer I've had 64 bit PC) out of spite, just to await this discussion.

I only just installed 64 bit Sonar Platinum a few weeks ago because, well, that is going to be all there is shortly - 64 bit DAW SW, so I may as well get on with it.

Honestly though, I do not write movie soundtrack sized scores either. I do very K.I.S.S. songs: 4-5 tracks of blues, rock, and jazz - and one of those tracks is my guitar.

Finally, and this is just out of curiosity: what is a NOT inexpensive soft synth?

Dim Pro? ST 3? Garritan (and libs) Kontakt 5 (with NI and 3rd party hand picked add-ons like Session Horns, etc.)? Komplete Ultimate? SpectraSonics Omnisphere? what?

Larry

Expert
Expert
Intiersting to hear your work flow Larry. Of course I respect your perspective.

Veteran
Veteran
Yes Larry that was a typo as I should have typed B4II.

Larry we are using different work flows and sound sources with BiaB and I also respect your way of using BiaB. I will attempt to explain mine.

I consider GM sound sources (both soft or hard synths), soundfonts (SF2s), free VSTi's and purchased 32 bit or DXi softsynths as inexpensive ones. These include but not limited to Dim Pro, ST2 and all of it's add ons, and TTS-1. I will say that each of these have some good sounds but are not close to being a total package of good sounds. Plus I will add that I do use some of these sounds myself and in fact the TTS-1 is my normal template for MIDI in Sonar, however I replace virtually all of those patches with better ones.

Using external synths drastically cuts down on the cpu and ram, thus 32 bit is fine when using them. I wish that I could afford the external synths that I want!

The problem one will run into when using 32 bit BiaB/RB is when one uses something like Kontakt loaded with memory intensive patches. These patches would be velocity sensitive and loaded with various articulations. For example take Kontakt and load it with the morph choir and the Diamond Orchestra (using different patches for violins, cellos etc). Add Aria for an acoustic bass and SSD4 for drums and for the lead back to Kontakt for the Passion Flute. Now you will have memory problems and will need 64 bit. Note this is a typical workflow for my computer music.

This is not to say that you NEED these to make good music. You can make great music with just soundfonts or free VSTis. It is NOT the sound source it is the MUSICIAN that makes great music.

Veteran
Veteran
ZeroZero

JUST a quick thought - is the format of NeoSoulKeys you are running Kontakt? and if so are you running the NI player or the full version of NI Kontakt 5, or Reason, or are you using his UVI player?

AT least I think UVI is Gospel Musician's player? (G.M. is another site I think needs a web designer to "clean up" so you can find clear "to the point" descriptions of products and details, etc.)

Larry

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,587
Posts734,727
Members38,500
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai
38,499 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 197