Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#283691 02/07/15 08:03 PM
Off-Topic
K
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
K
I'm one of the lucky people visited by Pat Marr. Though he only spent a few hours, by the time he left I felt like I had been visited by a long lost friend. My only regret is he wasn't able to visit longer. If you haven't met him yet you've got a real treat in store. He's a veritable fountain of music theory and has a great feel for the guitar.

Pat, if you read this; come on back when you can, and pack a bag for a longer stay, friend.

Jeaux

Last edited by Kajun Jeaux; 02/07/15 08:04 PM.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Kajun Jeaux
I'm one of the lucky people visited by Pat Marr. Though he only spent a few hours, by the time he left I felt like I had been visited by a long lost friend. My only regret is he wasn't able to visit longer. If you haven't met him yet you've got a real treat in store. He's a veritable fountain of music theory and has a great feel for the guitar.

Pat, if you read this; come on back when you can, and pack a bag for a longer stay, friend.

Jeaux

Jeaux,

Put me on that lucky list as well. Pat got to spend one night but we talked like long lost family members.

Pat please come again, in fact when I told my wife you were not hitting Mobile until the next day she chewed me out for not bringing you back with me after the gig.

I truly enjoyed your visit, and I hope to see you again maybe before too long when I get to your neck of the woods.

Until then, take care my friend.

Later,

Last edited by Danny C.; 02/08/15 06:50 AM. Reason: again not aging lol
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Pat is one of those folks who we occasionally call “old souls” in music. He has a wealth of musical information on his own, yet he still looks to all the musicians he encounters as a source to learn more!

I haven’t met Pat yet, although I almost volunteered to adopt his Border Collie!

I believe that Pat is someone who truly wants to bring musicians together regardless of musical genres or stereotypes. He’s invited me to his home on more than one occasion.

So if we ever create a category of “Musical Ambassador” for BIAB, then Pat Marr would be the only logical choice.

Off-Topic
J
Expert
Expert
J
Hey, I want to meet Pat Marr too - Pat, when are you making your way to NYC ? You're always welcome to visit - as well as anyone else that's not afraid of all my question !!!

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Pat just left my home in Pensacola, FL, on his way to Fort Walton Beach to visit with his brother, who lives there.

We had a great visit, as the others have attested. As I said to Pat, our home is always open to friends, virtual or otherwise.

It's so great putting a human face to an online moniker.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran

Jeaux

Thanks for the kind words Jeaux! It's also very kind of you not to mention that I arrived without making sure you knew I was coming! wink But you and your wife were very gracious and hospitable to me even though I surprised you!

What I didn't know about Jeaux until a few days ago is that he has a professional recording studio which totally blew me away! Jeaux gave me quite a tour of his studio's capabilities and played several projects that clients had paid for. I was very impressed by the "before" and "after" versions of the songs... Jeaux has some magic up his sleeve! He can take something that I would think is already radio-ready and expand it into the stratosphere! He showed me some of his tricks, and now I can't wait to get home & try them on my projects. But I have a feeling my stuff won't sound the same as Jeaux's!

Another interesting thing about Jeaux is that he's one of those lucky people who looks about 30 years younger than he is! In bayou country I have to wonder if maybe he struck a deal with the devil for talent and eternal youth in exchange for his soul wink But even if he didn't strike that deal, he got the talent and youthful look anyway! Jeaux, if you ever make it to NC, you and Mary are always welcome in my home!

When I get home from this trip, I'll start posting pictures, videos and observations from the visits... but for now I can say that this road trip is turning out even better than I hoped! Meeting people in person after knowing them only in a forum is a real exercise in human kindness and sociability. These days, it's asking a lot to invite a stranger into your home. I thank all of the people who have allowed my visit!

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
Put me on that lucky list as well. Pat got to spend one night but we talked like long lost family members.

Pat please come again, in fact when I told my wife you were not hitting Mobile until the next day she chewed me out for not bringing you back with me after the gig.

I truly enjoyed your visit, and I hope to see you aging maybe before too long when I get to your neck of the woods.

Until then, take care my friend.

Later,

Thanks for everything Danny! You and Linda made me feel right at home!
As an aside to everybody else, Danny has got to be one of the most interesting people I've ever met! His attitude about life is so positive, there are no obstacles this guy can't overcome! I find it totally inspirational to spend time with him because his positive "can do" attitude is contagious!

Danny took me on a gig, showed me his whole setup (which is extremely clever, by the way) and now I have lots of new ideas to use in my post retirement gig career.

As conversationalists, Danny and Linda are just FASCINATING! They're had such interesting lives so far, just hearing their accounts of famous people they've not only met, but actually KNOWN and hung out with as friends is amazing... but that's not the end.. they are interesting in so many different directions

Thanks Danny and Linda for a totally enjoyable visit! Y'all will always be welcome in my home!

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: jford
Pat just left my home in Pensacola, FL, on his way to Fort Walton Beach to visit with his brother, who lives there.

We had a great visit, as the others have attested. As I said to Pat, our home is always open to friends, virtual or otherwise.

It's so great putting a human face to an online moniker.

John and Anita,

Thanks for your gracious hospitality! Each of my visits have been different in one way or another, and the thing that stood out in your home was the intelligent and witty conversation around the dinner table! I don't think I have laughed so whole-heartedly in a long time. Your family is made up entirely of quick and clever thinkers! You and Anita are and will always be welcome in my home (but you have to promise that we'll have another one of those great after dinner wit-fests!) wink

As an aside, John showed me some of his music projects, and I can honestly say that this man has no problem with biting off big projects! But it's his incredible organizational skills that enable him to pull it off! I won't go into the details, but John may be the most organized thinker I've ever met.

There's so much to say about all of these visits, but it will have to wait until later when I post pictures

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: bobcflatpicker
Pat is one of those folks who we occasionally call “old souls” in music. He has a wealth of musical information on his own, yet he still looks to all the musicians he encounters as a source to learn more!

I haven’t met Pat yet, although I almost volunteered to adopt his Border Collie!

I believe that Pat is someone who truly wants to bring musicians together regardless of musical genres or stereotypes. He’s invited me to his home on more than one occasion.

So if we ever create a category of “Musical Ambassador” for BIAB, then Pat Marr would be the only logical choice.

Bob,
you give me wayyy too much credit! I'm more of a "Big ol' dummy" than "old soul"... but it's very kind of you to chime in with such positive comments! I truly appreciate that~! You are a person I hope to meet in person... I consider you to exemplify most of the musical qualities that seem to have bypassed me completely. There's lots to learn from you, and I hope to have that opportunity some day!

And Merlefest is coming up in April... if you ever want to attend, I'm within daily driving distance. You have a standing invitation to visit!

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Joe V
Hey, I want to meet Pat Marr too - Pat, when are you making your way to NYC ? You're always welcome to visit - as well as anyone else that's not afraid of all my question !!!

Joe,

I'll be going North at some point! Matt and Mario are also in NY state, right? And who knows how many more...

I may have to ask you to meet me outside the city though... let's just say that big city driving puckers me up. Driving through HotLanta when I visited Ryzard was the only stressful part of the drive. More on that trip later... while I was visiting Richard took possession of a new guitar, and we got the whole experience on video!

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I'll be amazed if I don't end up with an inferiority complex at the end of this road trip. After each visit I walk away with a sense of awe and respect for the people I just met. And even though it's not possible that all of them are the smartest people I've ever met (there can only be one superlative) so far, that has been the recurring take-away.

Everybody I've met so far has such depth and breadth of talent, knowledge, wisdom, creativity, wit, kindness, generosity and more... it's humbling to encounter everything I admire in humanity... over and over again!

Thanks again to all of the people who had to take the chance that I MIGHT be an axe murderer and let me in anyway. wink

Off-Topic
K
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
K
Thanks for the kind words, Pat, you posted them just as I wrote them. grin

Jeaux

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
I was fortunate to sit down for lunch with Pat when he passed through Mobile on his way to Pensacola. He is a fascinating guy. What was supposed to be a one hour lunch turned into a two hour chat fest. We would probably still be talking if he hadn't have needed to get on the road.

Keith
2024 Audiophile Windows 11 AMD RYZEN THREADRIPPER 3960X 4.5GHZ 128 GB RAM 2 Nvidia RTX 3090s, Vegas,Acid,SoundForge,Izotope Production,Melodyne Studio,Cakewalk,Raven Mti
Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Pat, I'm 2 hours north of NYC, though I split time in the Adirondacks also. Mario is another 4 hours, outside of Rochester.

I had a great time when John and Anita Ford visited. They scheduled their trip to visit while my music was featured with the regional symphony.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
J
Expert
Expert
J
I have a great idea - how about we create a Google map with everybody's location on it - you don't have to put your own personal address on it - just put a nearby starbucks location on or something - and your "PG" handle if you have privacy issues.

Off-Topic
K
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
K
Hey Danny, it's good hearing from you. I hope all is well with you and your family. I'm still looking forward to meeting you when we can hook up.

Jeaux

Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
JoeV, PG Music had just such a site right on this website, where users around the world were 'pinned'. It was a lot of fun to see. For example, I learned MarioD was my closest fellow user (at that time).

The map fell out of use about 15 years ago. We asked about it a few years back, and PG Music responded they didn't know why it wasn't active and would look at it. I haven't heard any news since.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
C
Veteran
Veteran
C

Jeaux

Same here. Very few lulls in the conversation and it felt like I'd known Pat for years. The wife and I truly enjoyed his company and wish him well on the remainder of his journey. He is really a nice guy and his love of music and people is obvious and infectious. It was a great visit for us and hope he had fun too.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Pat came a'calling last Tuesday 2/3/15. We started over breakfast and I was immediately comfortable with him. We talked for a while, then went back to my place. He met my wife Trudy, who is also a musician, and complimented for being (per my description) the perfect woman. Okay, so now they're friends, too. cool

I showed him some of my guitars and my studio. He took pics and perhaps video of me at the console. I surprised and disappointed myself by not being able to find some advanced projects I created in BIAB and am working on in Propellerhead Reason. It didn't even occur to me to look for stuff still in BIAB form. More about that in a moment.

A great serendipity was that a reissue Gretsch Country Gentleman G6122-1962 I had ordered arrived while he was there. He got video of a Very Happy Person accepting and unpacking it, then demonstrating what a Very Rusty Player I am.

Pat left as I was beginning to fade. I work nights and had just finished my shift before breakfast. I wish we could have met longer, but I was just too tired.

Now, here's the really cool thing. Pat, through questioning and by his "mere" presence, has triggered a reawakening. The next day I found all of my BIAB projects on my DAW (funny place for them, don't you think?), and my Reason projects on a laptop I use for business (and had planned on using as a mobile studio). Since then I have been playing daily, listening to my work in BIAB, and thinking musical thoughts I haven't had in a very long time. I wish we had had more time to bounce ideas off each other, or even played together. In short, I was vastly benefited by his visit and left wishing for more.

Pat, I hope to be in future contact with you, you old inspirational genius, you! Please be safe on the rest of your journey.

Richard

"My primary musical instrument is the personal computer."
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Inspirational!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,616
Posts735,148
Members38,517
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
maxrob61, TonyInManchester, jslynbrrs01, amdwilsns01, Juan Jose
38,516 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 182