Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#283968 02/11/15 05:37 AM
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
B
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
B
Is the Coyote Forte DXi soft synth the best one I can get for BIAB 2015?

I'm running Windows 7 64bit on my desktop, and 8.1 64bit on my laptop.

I'd like it to run on both computers.

Any suggestions would be appreciated...

Veteran
Veteran
"The best" is a tough one to describe. Best for what?

Lots of folks like the Coyote Forte DXi for its sound in a number of instruments and it is very affordable.

You can get much better sounds, but you'll have to spend more than $40.

Forte used to come with BIAB as a 30-day trial. I don't know if it still does (I'm not at my music computer, so I can't check). You might want to look for the EXE file installer and see; if so, you can always install it and try it out for 30 days to decide whether you want to purchase it or not.

Other folks also like using the Cakewalk TTS-1 ($39), so in the same range, but you get that by buying Cakewalk Music Creator (you really get the Music Creator DAW with the TTS-1 included).

Or if you already have Sonar, you probably already have TTS-1.

The Coyote WS that installs with BIAB is not the same as Forte. It is merely a wrapper for the MIDI sounds that are included in Windows already (and doesn't sound very good).

So I would say that those are probably the best in the $40 range.

You can also go free by getting a free soundfont VSTi (such as Synthfont) and using a good free GM soundfont file, readily available on the internet.

Or you can spend hundreds or even thousands of dollars for softsynths which much more realistic sounds (but generally not GM, so it's not just plug and play for MIDI - you have to specify each instrument within the softsynth for each MIDI track).

Others will chime in, I'm sure.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
jford #283977 02/11/15 07:22 AM
B
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
B
Thanks for the advice. This is exactly what I'm looking for.

Now, how 'bout an upgrade? A good soft synth for up to $100 that's plug and play (GM) and will work with Windows 7/8 64 bit.

I don't want to assign stuff. Plug and play GM up to $100 or so.

Bob :-)

Veteran
Veteran
Bob, IMO you have two good options. TTS-1 is one of the better GM softsynths. The free soundfont player(s) and GM soundfonts that John also mentioned are as good as if not better than many of those purchased for $100 or less. One great features about soundfonts is that if there is one in your set that you don't like you can easily replace it. With a little work you can have things like 5 different trumpets, 3 different violins etc that you can use. There are a lot of options. Soundfonts are Ok but they are old technology, much like the GM VSTis and ST2 that is shipped with BiaB. They are usable but not the best in the world of MIDI.

But if you want really good MIDI sounds you have to purchase better sound sources and assign them. Assigning them is not a big issue but that is better done in a DAW like RealBand, Sonar etc IMHO.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Boca Bob
Now, how 'bout an upgrade? A good soft synth for up to $100 that's plug and play (GM) and will work with Windows 7/8 64 bit.

I don't want to assign stuff. Plug and play GM up to $100 or so.

Bob :-)

We've all wanted that for years. Doesn't exist but there are workarounds like Sampletank with the Omnisynth library. ST is free and Omnisynth goes on sale a couple times a year for $10 but it's not simply plug and play inside Biab. However there are instructions how to make it work in the Tips and Tricks forum.

The thing is none of the softsynth companies cares one bit about GM sounds. GM isn't considered pro, it's not even semi-pro. GM is basically for sending generic midi files over the internet so your friend can play them. For us Biab uses though it's very convenient.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
J
Expert
Online Content
Expert
J
If you don't mind loading a good sound font, by all means look into CoolSoft Virtual Midi Synth. It is free and I have been using it for a few years now on both BIAB and TablEdit in order to get better MIDI sounds. It runs just fine under both x86 and x64 versions of windows XP, 7, 8 and 8.1

It is not my favorite, since I am a die-hard Yamaha XG fan but since there is no 64bit support for my Yamaha SW1000 card or my DBXG50 Daughter Card, CoolSoft is a very good alternative.

http://coolsoft.altervista.org/en/virtualmidisynth

I have also successfully loaded Yamaha's fabulous SoftSynth, S-YXG50 VSTi Plugin using jBridge under Windows x64 8.1 and have had no problems running it as a vsti Synth in BIAB ever since jBridge was released. Unfortunately for most people Yamaha's VSTi SoftSynth has been discontinued for a number of years now by Yamaha, but if you are lucky to own that program you can try using jBridge to load it

For all others, give CoolSoft Virtual Midi Synth a try. It might be exactly what you are looking for. The one good thing about using CoolSoft with sound fonts is that if you don't like the sound of one particular sound font you can always load another and there are quite a number of free sound fonts on the web.

As a final note, if you want to try CoolSoft's program, don't use the current 2.x Alpha version, use the stable v.1.12.1 version that was released on 01-07-2015.

Last edited by jcland; 02/11/15 03:03 PM.

BIAB2024
Windows 10 Pro
WA6NCB
jford #284014 02/11/15 05:23 PM
Veteran
Veteran
Does the Super Midi in Biab provide sound?

Or,

Are they just better midi arrangements?

Thanks,

Trax

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Muzic Trax
Does the Super Midi in Biab provide sound?

Or,

Are they just better midi arrangements?

Thanks,

Trax

MIDI data is only ever 'messages' to control a MIDI device that then actually makes the sound. MIDI data never has any sound of its own, it only has events that are received by a MIDI capable device that then converts the events into whatever sounds it has available. Essentially, MIDI Super Tracks are just better (more realistic) arrangements of MIDI data. But you still need something to receive the MIDI data and convert it into sounds. This would typically be a Soft Synth (e.g. Coyote Forte) or a Hardware Synth (e.g. Ketron SD2).

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
G
G
I'm actually partial to the Roland VSC (Virtual Sound Canvas). It does GM2 and GS. It has the SC88 Pro-stuff as well. Patch files, etc are already setup for BiaB. It used to be included (for free). The setup files are part of my BB2010, but apparently those don't play well with W8.1. Fortunately, I have a VST version still working (I dumped the DX stuff long ago). I have issues loading it into BB2015 (?) directly, but can pipe midi to it using MidiYoke (which does install after using some compatibility settings) via VST exe shell for the VSC.

The CW-TTS1 is more programmable (FX,etc) and does GM2 but I think it lacks the extra Roland soundsets. The TTS1 does load into BiaB2015, but is natively DXI, though it can be wrapped into a VSTi shell, which is the better way, as DXI support is disappearing.

As noted, these are just GM/GS sounds, so not considered 'pro' but more than adequate for composition stuff. I use RBand/Sonar/FLS and my own VSTi's when a song is worth the effort to 'finish' with better samples/instruments. Though the whole export midi/audio is a bit tedious which is the plug for RBand.

I'm actually pretty bummed with the SampleTank/AmpliTube BiaB stuff. They are just demo's and while nice are pretty pricey. The real downside is that they scatter files all over the place and don't clean up after themselves well, leaving IKM junk scattered all over including the registry, so I don't even consider installing the demo's anymore as they are more trouble than they are worth. The IKM copy protection stuff is just a real PITA (imho).

It's been awhile since I've played with SoundFont's (given their age/legacy). While not quite as PnP as the VSC, they are more versatile, though require more work (searches, DL's, comparisons, etc) and setup. Basically, they are reduced feature set SampleTanks.

Veteran
Veteran
The BEST softsynth.....

wow, is that one hard to answer.

Best for what? Many synths are specific to a certain style and genre of music. Some are all around general synths that cover a wide range.

Some like TTS and Coyote are inexpensive. Others like Kontakt and East West are not inexpensive. Some sound like synthesizers and some sound like real orchestras..... it all depends on your needs AND your budget.

In BB for example, in my rig, TTS is the default synth for playing the midi and it sounds relatively decent for that purpose.

If I had to keep just one synth out of all the ones I have... it would be the mid-priced Kontakt. It has professional quality samples in it and it covers a wide range of sounds.

There are also synths in my stable of synths that just do drums, or just do some other instrument.... and they do, what they do, well.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Veteran
Veteran
Best is very subjective but very good can be described. Very good costs real money. As a keyboard player I probably have 15K (new prices) worth of keyboards right now. The best overall synths I have are the Kurzweil PC3 and the new Roland FA06. The Kurz retails for about $2,800 and the FA for about $1,500. Excellent sounds. For modules I have a Roland Sonic Cell. About $500 new. The new Roland Integra is about $1,700.

Good sounds cost real money. You can save by going software vs hardware. To equal the sounds of my keyboards again, it's real money. Kontakt with all the sound libraries is $6-800 and the other big name softsynts are about the same.

When somebody asks for the "best" on this forum anyway they usually mean the best for cheap. That is problematic because there is nothing that is even close to "best" for less than several hundred bucks.

$300 for ST 3 is a steal imho. But when someone talks about the aggravation in using stuff like this, getting it all set up, having problems, all that stuff all I can say is welcome to the real world of digital audio. Somebody has a problem with IKM's authorization process? Try other companies with their iLock dongle. You have to be a true computer nerd to get all this working if you want anything close to the "best" sounds. Lots of folks simply want something that they can load up, sounds like a million bucks with no hassles and all they have to do is hit play.

Good luck with that.

Bob

Last edited by jazzmammal; 02/14/15 06:27 AM.

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: jazzmammal

.....Good sounds cost real money......

When somebody asks for the "best" on this forum anyway they usually mean the best for cheap. That is problematic because there is nothing that is even close to "best" for less than several hundred bucks.

Bob

Bingo!!!

When people say they want good sounds for under $100 ... I have to shake my head..... because while you can get decent sounds, no sir, they will not be realistic enough to fool anyone. Coyote and TTS are good synths but they are definitely bottom of the barrel when it comes to sound quality...and yes, I have and use TTS every single day I am recording....it's my default BB synth. The only thing lower in quality it the wavetable synth. (IMHO)

There are a few decent low cost sample libraries... GPO is one, Miroslave lite is another.... The NI stuff is good and Kontakt is a benchmark and at the lower end of the professional sounding libraries. Some of the "best sounding" libraries are several thousand bucks.... and out of the reach of most home hobby recording enthusiasts.

Good does cost money. Best costs even more.

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 02/14/15 03:15 PM.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Veteran
Veteran
Something to add, I'm not trying to scare anyone or make them feel foolish because they don't understand this. Most of us here including me don't use Biab itself with the best sounding synths. We mostly use it as the first tool to get a song layout. The basic synths are plenty good enough for that. If I really want some good sounding horns or strings I can always hook up my Kurz or Roland but with all the Real Tracks and what I use Biab for, the Forte DXi is usually good enough.

Bob

Expert
Expert
Something to add, I'm not trying to scare anyone or make them feel foolish because they don't understand this. Most of us here including me don't use Biab itself with the best sounding synths. We mostly use it as the first tool to get a song layout. The basic synths are plenty good enough for that. If I really want some good sounding horns or strings I can always hook up my Kurz or Roland but with all the Real Tracks and what I use Biab for, the Forte DXi is usually good enough.

Bob

Well said Bob +1
Coyote Forte Synth seems good enough here.

Win 11 64, Asus Rog Strix z390 mobo, 64 gig RAM, 8700k
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
The best soft synth if you really must is this probably this one https://www.steinberg.net/en/products/vst/halion_and_halion_sonic/halion_5.html#c216893

Dell Optiplex i3 quad core,8gb mem,500gb
nvidia gtx750graphics,
Win10
ESI studio monitors
Presonus AudioBox iOne interface
Presonus Studio One 3
BiaB2014
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: ZeroZero

Bob

Well said Bob +1
Coyote Forte Synth seems good enough here.

Another +1

That is exactly how I work, i.e. Coyote Forte to much better sounding softsynths.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
MarioD #284355 02/15/15 06:06 AM
Journeyman
Journeyman
tss-1 for me. But for what I do I also really like the Garraten personnel Orchestra. You have to assign instruments but you do get the better sound for the your $100.

Dell 610 dual Monitor, win 7-10, Sonar Plat, ProTools 10 & 11, Reaper 4, BIAB/real Band 2022, Easy Drummer, Superior Drummer, Kontact Essentials, Personnel Orchestra, Korg Legacy Analog & Digital
G
G
Yes, Garritan is good, but not fully automatized.
IMO, Old Yamaha XG Softsynth is still the best option for standard 128-instrument General Midi.
I just listened to couple of soundfonts mentioned here, none of them is good enough compared to Yamaha.
The key moment is BALANCE. Sure that every soundfont has "Excellent sounds". Yes, single instruments can sound realistically. But any COMBINATION of them involves calculation of individual chorus, reverb and many other parameters. The Yamaha still manages this task better than any soundfont, no matter how huge it is.
I'm very big fan of GM midi's since the 2000 year and Pentium era. Regularly I've been monitoring the web for new soundfonts, softsynths and other. The answer is no. Not a Roland, not a Native Instruments. The more instruments are involved - the clearer is the difference.

Veteran
Veteran
How about a digital audio worstation (DAW) with built-in instruments?

There are a few forum users (I'm not a user but if I was looking for a DAW this would be my first choice) that use MultitrackStudio. It is easy to use, stable, well supported, works with Windows or Mac and within your price range. You can find out more about MultiTrackStudio, or MTS, ++ HERE ++

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Expert
Expert
You can also try this updated version of Rolands classic...

http://www.roland.com/products/sound_canvas_va/

A bit expensive but it works well with Band in a Box and it sounds good from the tests I have made.

Kevin smile

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,391
Posts732,461
Members38,439
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
MIX-I-MUSIX 2.0, Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz
38,441 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195