Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production
doogiet Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Hey, all. I'm a BIAB noob. I bought the 2010.5 version when I was working on the piano, but I've moved cities and the piano didn't fit into my carry-on so I've switched to the guitar.

I bought 2015 today and want to use BIAB to generate tracks for me to practice with. I suck, so things will only be in the key of C for now.

Is there a way for me to plug my electric guitar into my computer, and then plug my headphones into the computer so I hear both BIAB and the guitar in the same set of headphones? Right now I'm using an electric guitar without an amp and my laptop speakers kinda suck. I do have a Rocksmith cable that connects from my electric guitar to a USB port. Can I use this?

Little help? smile

doogiet

Veteran
Veteran
It would depend on your computer, but probably not going to find a happy ending going the short route as you describe.

Do you have an effects pedal you could run the guitar through? Or an amp with Line Out capabilities?
That would likely be your better option; most basic system do not handle guitar level signals very well .. line level is much more commonly supported.

Something like a Line6 POD, Digitech RP150 or a Behringer V-Amp would work if an amp is unavailable. The key is getting the low level guitar signal up to a line level signal.

Of course there are workarounds, but achieving joy is much easier with some kind of amp sim.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
D
Apprentice
Apprentice
D
Hi, Doogiet.

Quote:
I do have a Rocksmith cable that connects from my electric guitar to a USB port. Can I use this?

I was able to go out on the web and within minutes had seen several examples of people stating happiness using what you have for inputting guitar with various DAW's. Here's one such:

Quote:

I am happy to comment that this Rocksmith Real Tone cable works perfectly with Garageband for me and is absolutely free of any unwanted noises. The cable is quite sturdy and seems almost indestructible in normal use. There is even a strain release mechanism in the USB tail where an inline plug will disconnect without yanking any of your computer (or game console if you are using it with the Rocksmith game) onto the floor.

Therefore, I don't see any reason why not. I would imagine PG Music software works with drivers that are capable of controlling the device*

It will probably take some work, as suggested, to find the right latency settings. Once done, I'll bet it works just fine for your purposes in both RealBand and BIAB. *As always, I may be wrong.

Just know this: any effects you apply in the DAW to that guitar signal, if done in real time (iow, so that you can hear the effect while playing) will dramatically increase latency. The workaround is to record with no effects applied, then apply the effects to the already recorded passages. You will likely get tired of this quickly, because hearing the effect real time changes how one plays, as adjustments are made to complement the effect that are USUALLY for the better smile

So, the previous suggestion of an effects box is a great one. I have a Korg AX1G, for example, and I love it. It has an array of amp sims and effects, is programmable, and has plenty of power to boost the signal as needed.

-Eric

Last edited by DIOECHOOTO; 02/23/15 05:39 PM.

Veteran
Veteran
One of the biggest problems with the "cable devices" like you describe.... is they have latency issues in many systems.

How I do it:

I use either a Line6 Pod2 or an amp. I connect the outputs of the POD or the mic to my Focusrite Saffire interface..... which connects to the computer and that works perfectly fine with minimal latency. I use the ASIO driver and the Saffire shows up as input and output options in my DAW, and anything else (BiaB) when I select the input for recording or monitoring.

The Saffire gives me exactly what is happening inside the box either with it's headphone jacks or at it's monitor outputs.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Veteran
Veteran
FWIW here is my take on your situation.

Since you don't have an amp and your laptop speakers kinds suck I wouldn't use the Rocksmith Cable. I would buy a Roland Micro Cube amp for $150 USD, sometimes they are on sale as a friend got one for $88 USD:
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MicroCubeGX

You can either play through the amp as you jam with BiaB or you can use the line out and play and record through your laptop. You could also use a mic and record the amp that way also.

I have a MicroCube and it is one fantastic little amp. In fact it is the only guitar amp I own!

I hope this helps - MarioD

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
doogiet Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Hey, all. Thanks for your replies. I'm a noob with all of this talk of gear and cables and whatnot (I had to Google DAW to see what it meant).

I'm looking for the simplest solution. I have an amp, but it's this tiny Marshall device that takes a nine volt battery and is small enough to clip on one's belt (it even has a clip). If I ever get good enough to play with other people, I'll need to a get a better/real amp. It doesn't have a line out, just an input and a headphone jack. You can see it here: http://amzn.to/1BNTjWX The Micro Cube amp that was suggested looks pretty hot (or maybe it's just the guitarist).

Still, I know my way around a computer pretty well. How hard would it be for me to set up all the drivers and whatnot for the Rocksmith cable? I'm not sure if I would even know if it was working, etc. Are there videos online on how to set up a cable? Should I download amplitube and try that?

doogiet Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Update:

I fiddled with the computer and BIAB to recognize the Rocksmith cable. But, like I was warned, there are lag issues that make it sound pretty bad. I fiddled with the audio and driver settings and was able to get it down to a lot less, but it's still there and it's irritating.

I think I'll go buy that Cube amp that was suggested. It would be nice to have a real one. Then I just need the proper cable, I suppose. smile

D

Veteran
Veteran
Will you be plugging the cable directly into your computer via the computer's sound card or do you have an audio interface?

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
doogiet Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
I'm not even sure what an audio interface is, unless it's some kind of doohickey that plugs into the computer. I'm planning on buying the Cube amp and then a cable so I can plug the line out from the amp directly into the microphone/line in port on my laptop.

I totally suck still, but BiaB is making me want to practice more. smile

D

Veteran
Veteran
You will need a guitar cable and a guitar plug to mini plug adaptor like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Grado-Mini-Adaptor-Cable-Inch/dp/B001DK1ZVO

doogiet Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Okay, great! Thanks for the tip, I'll pick one up with my amp. smile

Veteran
Veteran
An interface is simply an external (most often) sound card with features that make it perfect for recording and mixing music. The better ones use ASIO as a driver and that comes on a disk with the interface or are available from the manufacturers web site.

Using one and setting it up to be the default sound card for your recording system in your DAW makes your system act like it should act.... with near perfect echo back and extremely low latency for synths.

Using one will reduce that latency (delay) you hear to levels that you can work with. I still hear a slight delay or latency when I work with the amp sims like Amplitube. There's an awful lot of processing that has to be applied to the clean guitar signal to get it sounding like a stack of Fender Twins or whatever else AND get that signal back to the speakers quickly enough to still be in sync with the source material. If that can be done in less than 8 to 10 milliseconds, it sounds like it's in sync well enough for rock and roll.

Those little cables can't make that round trip that quickly so you end up with stuff so badly out of sync, that for the most part it's totally useless to someone trying to record to the music.

www.herbhartley.com

Journeyman
Journeyman

Jan - 12 Core AMD Ryzen 9 3900X
32GB DDR4
Win 10 64-bit
Samsung m.2 SSD Boot drive,other SSD internal and USB drives.
MOTO 2
Ketron SD4,SD1000
Yamaha RX-v381amp
VB-Audio virtual cables
doogiet Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Just so I understand correctly: If I plug my guitar into the line in port on my computer from the line out of the amp I'm going to buy, I won't have any latency, right?

Apprentice
Apprentice
Get the FocusRite 2i2 or 2i4 Audio Interface as mentioned above by PhillyJazz. Period.

HP 17 2.5GHz seventh-generation AMD A12-9700P quad-core accelerated processor
2TB 5400 RPM SATA hard drive
12GB DDR4 SDRAM
Windows 10 Home (64bit) w/DTS Audio
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: doogiet
Just so I understand correctly: If I plug my guitar into the line in port on my computer from the line out of the amp I'm going to buy, I won't have any latency, right?

Any time you use the factory chips.... no telling what kind of latency you will end up with.

Get a dedicated USB interface running ASIO drivers with nice audio preamps and phantom power and be done with latency.

www.herbhartley.com

doogiet Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Is the REC/OUT output the same as a Line Out output?

doogiet Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
I bought the amp you suggested. I love it! It's small and light and portable and has a great sound. It's perfect for where I'm at right now. Thanks so much.

smile

DoogieT

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: doogiet
Is the REC/OUT output the same as a Line Out output?

By definition, yes, it's supposed to be. It might bypass part of the mixer on the amp, though - depends on what the line out purpose is. The manual should indicate that but yes, a Record Out signal is line level.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
Veteran
That amp has been one of the best selling small amps at my parents music store for quite a while. I agree; nice suggestion Mario.

Personally, I like the rack/pedal layout for recording (regardless of brand), since technically a speaker is not needed and may affect the judgement of the output sound. Listen to it 'after' recording it.
These particular amps have a nicer line output signal for recording than the speaker can replicate. Often sounds better on the recorded track than the live speaker.

It's hard to explain this to some people. They 'hear' it and think that's what they will get when they record it .. but it isn't.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,578
Posts734,662
Members38,499
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai
38,499 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200