Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
#285203 02/22/15 03:26 AM
Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
So..... since we're talking about SUBs..... (albeit a different kind in another thread) ... I thought a discussion on SPEAKERs.... SUB speakers would be in order here.

Who uses subs in their studios or in live performances?

Feel free to discuss the details.

I decided that I wanted... or needed a sub in my studio since I was mixing with a pair of Mackie MR5 reference monitors. And if you can't hear "it" you certainly can not mix it properly. Or so the saying goes.

After all, 5" cones can only move a very limited volume of air. So I searched and found a good deal on a Polk Audio 10" 100w home stereo sub speaker and ordered it. It's fed from a spare output on my 8 output Saffire interface. It took a bit of time playing with it to achieve what I felt was a good balance for it between the lows it provides and the MR5's. I think it's running set similarly to the MR5's.....about half way up. And the crossover is tweeked a bit for where it begins to work.

From day one, this sub has been like ear candy, allowing me to hear the full bottom end on my mixes. When the kick drum hits and the thud from the toms hit, you can feel it....same with the bass guitar and synths are simply awesome to behold with a sub. And when the bass and kick are in the groove, what a wonderful thing of sub-awesome beauty. Like the words to a song by Boston.... It's more than a feeling....

I do shut it off from time to time as I work on the mix to be sure I'm still in the proper range in the mix on the low end.

I think I found this one on sale for under $200 at the time..... it was quite some time back so I don't recall the exact purchase price.... but it was the lowest price I saw anywhere else on subs in the same size and power range.

Personally, I don't think it matters much that the sub was designed for home stereo/ theater system use vs studio.

So... do you sub or not?

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 02/22/15 03:31 AM.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Veteran
Veteran
Hey Herb,

I remembered a discussion on this from last summer:

July 2014 Post

I agree with your comment on smaller monitor cones needing the sub more. I also use that Mike Senior book for a studio reference book.

In my case I use some JBL LSR4328s. I believe the 8" speakers provide enough low end to not need a sub. If I needed to mix a style of music that uses a lot more low end, then maybe yes, I would need a sub.

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
Veteran
Veteran
I do have a couple 'sub' systems. One M-Audio and one Blue Sky.

I like them, but not as much as the 8" speakers.
I'll use the subs when I feel the need though.
As Mac says - run what ya brung.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Apprentice
Apprentice
I have never used them to mix with, although I used to have a set of computer speakers (aimed mainly at gamers) that I wish I still had- the sub in that system made the sound phenomenal!

I am thinking of getting one for live performance to supplement my Yamaha Stagepas 300 PA. It has no bottom end to speak of but is otherwise holding up pretty well and I don't want to part with it just yet. I mounted both speakers on a single stand using a dual pole mount- so it would work just as well if I had a sub with a pole mount on top. The goal is to travel small and have a small footprint- ultimately I'd love to have one of those Bose Linear Array systems but right now they are out of my price range.

The last band I was in used a pair of Mackie 18's- one on either side of the stage. Those things were monsters! I'm thinking a 15 or even a 12 would suffice for me.

There are a couple on eBay that I keep on my watch list (while I check the local stores for used gear- they sometimes get used 18's but those are just too big for me)

Rockville

Seismic

These aren't what I'd call name-brand gear but I think they'd work for me- anybody have any experience with either brand?

BiaB/RB 2014 OmniPak
Juno-Gi Mobile Synth
Roland GR-20+GK-3 Guitar Synthesizer System
Godin Nylon String Synth Access Guitar
Veteran
Veteran
My small KRK's do what they are designed for, i.e., present a self powered flat unadulterated soundstage. For me if my mix sounds "good" on them at a fairly low volume it will also sound good on my larger system (Yamaha integrated amp, Polk Audio towers and Yamaha 10" sub). Works for me, perhaps not for everybody.

Veteran
Veteran
18" Powered Sub........Boom Boom. grin

90 dB #285907 02/27/15 05:13 AM
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: 90 dB

In my Smart Car...

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: sslechta

In my Smart Car...

HA! Is there room for anything else? smile

Veteran
Veteran
Sub in my PA? No.

Car? Lord, no.

Sub in the main studio (otherwise known as the larger bedroom) with 8" monitors, no.

Sub in the small mixing room with 6" Mackie monitors, yes, an Adam sub turned up only about 1/3 for presence.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
Sub in my PA? No.

Car? Lord, no.

Sub in the main studio (otherwise known as the larger bedroom) with 8" monitors, no.

Sub in the small mixing room with 6" Mackie monitors, yes, an Adam sub turned up only about 1/3 for presence.

I usually just crank that 18 up untill it breaks a glass on the bar, then back it off a bit. grin

90 dB #285996 02/27/15 06:10 PM
Veteran
Veteran
Sub in my PA? No.

Car? Lord, no.

I usually just crank that 18 up untill it breaks a glass on the bar, then back it off a bit. grin

Now that is not only one hell of a sound check, but that's funny I don't care who you are. LMAO!

Later,

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Danny C.
Sub in my PA? No.

Car? Lord, no.

Now that is not only one hell of a sound check, but that's funny I don't care who you are. LMAO!

Later,

The glass technique doesn't always work. We played in an aircraft hangar last weekend, and our 18" sub just disappeared in the massive space. I had to resort to the pain-inducing mic feedback technique. grin

90 dB #286253 03/01/15 08:38 PM
Veteran
Veteran
I work with synths a lot, and listen to music with suboctave content. My left and right monitors have a hard cutoff at 50 Hz; there is a characteristic/clichéd descending tone used in EDM (electronic dance music) that just disappears below that, so I must have a sub to listen and mix with. My phones go down to 5 Hz, but it just isn't the same. I got a 10" JBL powered unit pushing 100-150W of power. I can't even begin to crank it up as the windows in my tiny music room start rattling early on. That's okay--keeps my lease intact!

"My primary musical instrument is the personal computer."
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Ryszard
I work with synths a lot, and listen to music with suboctave content. My left and right monitors have a hard cutoff at 50 Hz; there is a characteristic/clichéd descending tone used in EDM (electronic dance music) that just disappears below that, so I must have a sub to listen and mix with. My phones go down to 5 Hz, but it just isn't the same. I got a 10" JBL powered unit pushing 100-150W of power. I can't even begin to crank it up as the windows in my tiny music room start rattling early on. That's okay--keeps my lease intact!

Yup... I don't care how good the studio reference speakers are.... there are sometimes only a sub will get the job done.

www.herbhartley.com

Veteran
Veteran
And then there is the variable of the type of music you are mixing. For me, I don't want anything in the mix that I need a sub to hear.

In coming!!

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
And then there is the variable of the type of music you are mixing. For me, I don't want anything in the mix that I need a sub to hear.

Mandolins and acoustic guitars don't need a sub.... you're right.... but even BG can be enhanced with the right speakers/sub.... I'll wager live BG shows have subs these days.

www.herbhartley.com

90 dB #286399 03/03/15 01:51 AM
Veteran
Veteran

very considerate 90dB

( Altough you probably need a little more than 90dB )

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Veteran
Veteran
I got lucky and picked up a great pair of used Altec Model 14's a few years ago.

These were the last of the Altec studio monitor series before the "real" Altec Lansing went under. Mine are the home version with nice wood veneer as opposed to the battleship grey painted studio ones. I'll mix in the bedroom on my RSL 8" and then take it to the living room to listen on the Altecs. Definitely no sub needed. The small studio monitors we all talk about are nice and all but you really need a pair of old school serious studio monitors to really tell what you've got.

Back in the day when I was doing session work they would have a big system like my Altec's or a big pair of JBL 15" with the baby cheeks, smaller home type stereo speakers like Pioneers or KLH or similar and a small car radio setup.

For the first time in years I did a thing at a studio in N Hollywood last October and it was like nothing's changed. They had a big pair of UREI's hanging from the ceiling in the control room with a set of computer speakers on the console. UREI used to have Altec drivers I don't know what they have now. You need at least a pair of 12's being powered by about 1000W even if the volume is not that loud, to really hear what you've got. The engineer used to work for Ray Charles and I asked him about subs and he said unless you're doing the modern rap EDM super low stuff he never uses them. That's a different world from what we're talking about here.

Anyway, bottom line imho if you're really trying to mix something that's pro guality at home you need a proper space with good acoustic treatment and the proper equipment including serious monitor speakers. You can only do so much with 5 or 8" monitors and unless you have really, really good ears, trying to balance a sub can throw off your mix.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Quote:
You need at least a pair of 12's being powered by about 1000W even if the volume is not that loud, to really hear what you've got.

Interesting that you say that because there's a lot of truth to that. Unfortunately, for most people, having such a set up is totally out of the question. Cost alone to get the flat response cabinet, speakers that can handle the task at hand, and the amp that can deliver the power needed to control...tightly control the cones, is out of the average home enthusiast's budget. Likely the cost for the speaker monitoring system would easily exceed by several times, the investment many folks have in their entire home studio setup.

So they are left with what they can afford.... which falls back to the small cone reflex speakers......and a sub.

But it's nice to dream.

www.herbhartley.com

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,585
Posts734,718
Members38,500
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai
38,499 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 197