Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
I have two different songs with this issue. All other songs seem fine. If I change the volume of instruments in the mixer, they will stay set when I play the song. As soon as I stop the song, all volumes reset to value of 90. Except the melody part, which will stay as I set it. I tried saving the song with the settings I want, without playing the song first. But when I reopen, everything except melody jumps to 90. I have tried freezing/unfreezing parts, but nothing helps. Any ideas??

Veteran
Veteran
Sounds like these are midi tracks, right?

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
No, not MIDI tracks. Just regular patches from a standard style. Both songs are set to ZZBOSSA style. But I tried changing to a different style, and still have the problem.

Veteran
Veteran
Melody or Soloist track edit:

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
2015-03-05_13-49-46.jpg (79.59 KB, 134 downloads)
2015-03-05_13-50-42.jpg (128.47 KB, 134 downloads)

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Bill, the steps VideoTrack gave may reveal a command that sets the volumes.

I have often read of this problem when someone started a song with an imported MIDI file. Did you do this?

Certain BIAB styles set the initial volume. What style(s) are you using?

Even if it isn't any of these, you are not crazy. I've experienced this problem infrequently for over a decade. It's random and I haven't figured out the cause.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
I have narrowed down the problem, but still no idea why it's happening. It seems to happen with any songs using style ZZBOSSA, which are saved with file suffix MG4. In addition to the two new songs we are working on with the problem, I realized we have one other song with that style that we have been using for backing for some time with no problem. Turns out it DOES have the same problem. When the song is finished playing, or is stopped, the volumes do reset to 90. But as long as you don't resave it at that point, all is okay the next time you open it. Only problem is when you're working on volume settings for a new song. Basically, you have to adjust volumes as you want while the song is playing, then note down those volumes; because when the song stops, they go away! Then you reset those levels and save it before playing it. Strange and annoying! I'm wondering if others have seen this problem with this particular style, or with others?

Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
snip .......

Even if it isn't any of these, you are not crazy. I've experienced this problem infrequently for over a decade. It's random and I haven't figured out the cause.

It has only started happening to me a lot since the release of 2015. I am also finding it a bit frustrating not being able to track down the cause.

I don't import midi files and one theory I am pursuing is that it happens when I use a file from the archives of the Band-in-a-Box Group on Yahoo! Groups (not a PG Music forum). Only a theory though, so far!

Grah Jive Talk
"Don't worry baby, they'll swing their arses off."
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
Bill, the steps VideoTrack gave may reveal a command that sets the volumes.

That was the likely culprit in the past. Have you tried it??

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Graham, you've been around here a long time, too. Do you remember the technique we used to have to do to preserve volumes? Save with patches and harmony while the song was playing. This was pretty much fixed a few years back and I don't do that step anymore. But once in awhile, the volumes of some/most of the instruments revert to 90.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
I'm probably missing something; but I don't see how using the Event List Editor would help with this? It just seems to show the note events for the melody. I can't see any event that would indicate changing the volume level for all parts (EXCEPT the melody?) at once. As I said, this happens when the song ends or is stopped.

Forgot to respond to another question. I am not importing any Midi files. We are using the archive http://www.igidigi.nl/biab/index.html to find copies of songs we want to do (duo with guitar/vocal and clarinet/sax), then modify to suit our needs. Not sure where that song archive was found. My partner came up with it.

Maybe best solution is just to find a different bossa style, if ZZBOSSA is truly "buggy". ?

Veteran
Veteran
Here's how you fix it. Load the song with the ZZBOSSA style. Then from the top menu, select "Styles, Stylemaker, Edit Current Style".

Once the stylemaker interface comes up, click on the "Misc" button. Once the new box comes up, uncheck the box next to "Allow Volume Changes With Style" (this setting forces the volumes defined by the style - that's why your changes are sticking).

Click on OK, then Save the style.

It should work for you now.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
jford, you're my hero! It seems so obviously intuitive now. (That was sarcasm, by the way...)

Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Interesting. John, doesn't the global override take precedence over the setting in one style?

Veteran
Veteran
John,

I've still got a lot to learn! I'd never have found that. Thanks for the enlightenment.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
T
Journeyman
Journeyman
T
I have only just noticed this thread otherwise would have jumped in earlier.

The fix, as stated, is usually with imported styles - PG styles nearly always have this box unticked.

In the past we have asked for the wording of this box to be changed. If you tick to "ALLOW volume changes" it implies that volumes are frozen by the style if you don't tick.

Tony

D
Journeyman
Journeyman
D
I have been struggling with this for the past few weeks as I am trying to develop some new styles. My problem first started when I tried to balance a style that used a supermidi piano.

The only way to ensure I got the mix i wanted was to check that box. Then regardless of any other setting the volumes will be set by the style. The default is 90. This overrides even realtracks.

If you also use the mixer window, and even the combo setting, the style seems to take precedent. You can alter the volumes, but the next time they load, you are back to the preset style volumes.

I use 2013, and I have only found 1 PGMusic midi style that has preset volumes (BOARDWALK) but there maybe others. Does BIAB 2015 have the box checked by default? It should be unchecked, I think.

PGMusic support tried to direct me through using a plugins including a limiter, to solve my problem, but it was just too technical just to get a style balanced

There seems to be so many ways to achieve the result, and they all interact. The BIAB manual (not the help screen) was somewhat useful but a little complicated. As with much of the documentation it explains the function but not the interactions. I found no reference to how style volume and mixer / combo volume work together.

BIAB for Windows Version 2019 (643)
Windows 10 (1909)
T
Journeyman
Journeyman
T
Yes, BIAB has the box unchecked by default and my copy has zzbossa and boardwalk as known exceptions. I agree that the box should ALWAYS be unticked by default otherwise it makes volume control too complicated and leads to threads like this one. In fact why is this option in Stylemaker ever needed? PG and Bob Norton don't use it.

I still think the wording on the box is backwards and leads to more confusion.

Tony

P
Journeyman
Journeyman
P
*** Just noticed you're using BB 2013. I missed that. Sorry. ***
I'm on 2015.

Dave,

I just created a new file using the "Save current song as style" under the STYLES options. When opened in Stylemaker, my desired volumes do change to reflect 90 settings.

Go to 'Edit current style', then in the "MISC" settings, enter your desired volume levels - and before saving:

*** Allow volume changes must be checked ***

Back at the main screen, invoke the style, hit "PLAY" and the 90 default volumes appear and play at 90.

NEXT, hit play again and the new volumes indeed will appear
and play.

Viola !! HTH.

Percy

[b][/b]

Last edited by percy; 03/06/15 04:34 AM.
D
Journeyman
Journeyman
D
I had to use it because without it I coudn't build a style with a midi and supermidi instruments properly balanced.

The process to balance midi instruments uses pattern velocities. Simply the higher the velocity the louder the note. Real track volumes can be adjusted in the style in the MISC 》MORE window. once balanced the style /song can be alter in the mixer.

Supermidi tracks are not adjusted by patterns (they don't use them) or, it seems, from the real tracks adjustment window.

So unless you want to rest mixer volumes every time you use a supermidi track, the only option seems to be the style volume, and the "checked" override box.

Or, of course, stay away from super midi.

BIAB for Windows Version 2019 (643)
Windows 10 (1909)
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
PG and Bob Norton don't use it.

Actually, many of Norton's styles have this box checked. I generally have to edit the style to uncheck the box.

ZZBossa (as are all the ZZ styles) is one of the original BIAB styles from waaaayyyyyyy back when. I suspect it just slipped through the crack. The other PGMusic styles (that I use anyway), have the box unchecked.

Quote:
doesn't the global override take precedence over the setting in one style

Matt - that was my thought, too. Maybe that's where the bug is.

Also, if you are having trouble balancing out the volumes of the various MIDI tracks, you can also set the MIDI normalize feature, which normalizes the volume of all MIDI to the level you set. Don't know how that will work with the SuperMIDI tracks, since it uses a different engine, but it's worth trying out.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,394
Posts732,480
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195