You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#287395 - 03/11/15 03:26 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Can BIAB make a convincing modern R&B ballad?
fantasyvn Offline
Apprentice

May I ask this question?

Can BIAB make a convincing modern R&B ballad? By ‘modern’, I mean popular R&B artists in the last 10 years like Justin Timberlake, Alicia Keys, John Legend, etc.

Do you think the styles in BIAB are good enough?

On my part, I guess that you will need to replace the drum with midi patterns and sounds from sample libraries like EZDrummer, Addictive Drums, or loop libraries (Acid wav).

Then how about the bass, guitar, keyboard in BIAB? Are they suitable?
Thank you

#287396 - 03/11/15 03:50 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Can BIAB make a convincing modern R&B ballad? [Re: fantasyvn]
Ryszard Offline
Veteran

Loc: Kennesaw (Atlanta) GA
Hits? Probably not, but with a little massage you can create some stuff that'll get folks tapping their toes. The operative word is "create." One thing BIAB doesn't do is produce "hooks." That's where human inspiration and musical ability comes in.
When a program can write as good a piece of music as I can, I may quit. But right now software still requires human management.

Speaking from an all-MIDI standpoint, I discovered that putting BIAB in jukebox mode and having it autogenerate songs gives mixed, but interesting, results. About 85-90% of the tunes will be yawners, but every once in a while something will turn your head and make you replay what you just heard. Again, that's when it's time to roll up your sleeves and get to work.

I've also fooled around with Real instruments enough to know that they can be truly convincing in the right hands. If that's not enough, you can always make your own sounds and Styles. All I can say is, start digging through the library of Styles and instruments available to you, and (as the good Doctor say) HAVE FUN!

#287399 - 03/11/15 04:54 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Can BIAB make a convincing modern R&B ballad? [Re: fantasyvn]
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

The question is not can BB do it... the real question is can YOU?

If you are asking can straight up BiaB create a radio ready R&B ballad.... the answer is "no". Not likely. Not in a believable way straight out of the box.

The possibility does exist however to create a R&B ballad song, using BB as one of the tools in the final project.... and to that I'd say a resounding "YES".

Kinda like carving a sculpture from a block of rock.... you have to be able, first, to see the finished project in the rock....or in this case, hear it in your head and then know how to use the tools to get that down on tracks and edited. Lots of things will affect the final version. Your editing skills, your ability to choose the right Bb/RB tracks, your ability to play or provide the tracks that BB/RB can not, and your production chops....

Probably not easy.... but do-able, just like using BB/RB to create any other radio ready genre song be it rock, jazz or country.

Listen to the songs some of the folks here produce.... Floyd, 90db Bob, R&AM, Tommyad, Greg, my music, and I know I'm missing a few others.... ... you will see the quality that you can achieve in a home studio using BB/RB as part of the tool kit available. I mix RB tracks with my live playing and then apply some other polishing to the projects.....

So yeah, it can be done....

Add nothing that adds nothing to the music

#287411 - 03/11/15 06:25 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Can BIAB make a convincing modern R&B ballad? [Re: fantasyvn]
MikeK Offline
Veteran

Loc: Buford, GA
Something like this?

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12644136

If so, you decide.

*** DISCLAIMER *** No self promotion intended. Just saving the OP some time, or, trying to.

My Music * PC: Avatar FX8366ice AMD FX-8350(4.0GHz) 16GB DDR3 6TB HDD+128GB SSD HDD Capacity NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB Win 10 64-Bit. AKAI EIE PRO Sound Interface. BIAB/RB 2018

#287425 - 03/11/15 08:54 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Can BIAB make a convincing modern R&B ballad? [Re: fantasyvn]
fantasyvn Offline
Apprentice

Thank you so much for your kind advice.

To MikeK: Your song is great. It is amazing what one can do with BIAB.

#287442 - 03/11/15 11:11 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Can BIAB make a convincing modern R&B ballad? [Re: fantasyvn]
Jeff S Offline
Enthusiast

I used to think BIAB couldn't do metal very well and I proved it could. Like the others have mentioned, at face value BIAB will only give you the raw material. The real magic happens as you create what you have in your vision. That being said if you want a truly radio quality production you will need to have the project professionally mastered.

You can get close in a home studio with the right software but a professional will do amazing things to a mix. If I had the money I would like to have at least one of my songs professionally mixed and mastered. Considering all of my productions are created solely from realtracks it would be really cool to see how far BIAB tracks can pushed professionally.

#287445 - 03/11/15 11:46 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Can BIAB make a convincing modern R&B ballad? [Re: MikeK]
MusicStudent Offline
Veteran

Loc: Chicago
Originally Posted By: MikeK

Which version of BAIB came with Female Vocalist Realtracks? I need to get me some of that....
SoundCloud

#287483 - 03/11/15 02:05 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Can BIAB make a convincing modern R&B ballad? [Re: MikeK]
VideoTrack Offline
Veteran

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
BTW: Great track Mike!

BIAB, RB 2018(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Izotope Prod. Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, KorgX3R, RodeNGT2, AM802mixer, NS40M Studio Monitors, Pioneer Active Mons, AKG K271 Studio H'phones

#287539 - 03/11/15 07:07 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Can BIAB make a convincing modern R&B ballad? [Re: fantasyvn]
MikeK Offline
Veteran

Loc: Buford, GA
Thanks, guys! And no, Dan. The version of BIAB with this Lady doesn't exist, but I wish it did.

Yvonne J is the Lady and she is also a BIAB user... she has a ton of collaborations, but a lot of her own music, created with BIAB. Check her out on Youtube...

https://www.youtube.com/user/Yvonnej1000

Appreciate the nice comments, though smile

My Music * PC: Avatar FX8366ice AMD FX-8350(4.0GHz) 16GB DDR3 6TB HDD+128GB SSD HDD Capacity NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB Win 10 64-Bit. AKAI EIE PRO Sound Interface. BIAB/RB 2018

PG Music News
RealTracks Artist Quinn Bachand - Hard at Work!

Check it out - this is happening NOW... Quinn Bachand's latest RealTracks recording session!

Image: http://www.pgmusic.com/gfx/Quinn_Session.jpeg

Listen to demos of Quinn's existing RealTracks at http://www.pgmusic.com/realtracks.artists.php?a=61&os=win&sortby=name

The Band-in-a-Box® 2018 PlusPAK Upgrade for Mac

Did you know....

If you are currently using a Band-in-a-Box® 2017 UltraPlusPAK or EverythingPAK and are wanting to upgrade to the new version, with the 202 new RealTracks that were just released, the PlusPAK upgrade is a great option! This is available on DVD, flash drive, or electronic delivery - simply install the content to your existing 2017 BB folder! Add the 49-PAK to your purchase, and you'll complete the RealTracks library with the 40 BONUS unreleased RealTracks!

This package is on sale for just $99 during our special (reg. $129): http://www.pgmusic.com/bbmac.packages.pluspak.htm.

Get to Know The Band-in-a-Box® 2018 49-PAK for Mac

Purchase Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac during our special and you will receive a Free Bonus PAK which includes Video RealTracks Set 1: Pop Ballad Band, 10 MIDI SuperTracks, 7 Instrumental Studies, 40 AmpliTube Presets & 37 Associated bonus Styles, and 52 Loops for Band-in-a-Box!

Take it a step further and add a 49-PAK to your purchase for only $49! Add the 49-PAK to your Band-in-a-Box® for Mac purchase and you'll receive these GREAT Band-in-a-Box Add-ons:
Video RealTracks Set 2: Country TrainBeat Band
ALL 40 UNRELEASED Bonus RealTracks
22 MIDI SuperTracks
101 Instrumental Studies
Artist Performance Set 8: Traditional Songs Sung by Béatrix Méthé.

Get to Know The Band-in-a-Box® 2018 49-PAK: Video link - Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac- 49-PAK Overview

Band-in-a-Box® Version 2018 Pro & MegaPAK RealCombos!

We've added MORE to the RealCombos included in the Pro & MegaPAK packages with the release of Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac!

The Band-in-a-Box® 2018 Pro includes 300 RealTracks instruments in over 100 bands - that's 100+ more than previous years - listen to them here.

There are now over 500 RealTracks in 300 Bands in the Band-in-a-Box® 2018 MegaPAK! Take a look at all the RealTracks & RealDrums in the MegaPAK here.

To receive the new version with these new RealCombos, upgrade during our special for as little as $59! http://www.pgmusic.com/bbmac.packages.htm.

Get ALL the Regular RealTracks & RealDrums when you upgrade to an UltraPAK or Audiophile Edition!

Title Track Day, May 23, 2018!

Did you know... today is Title Track Day!

Which album do you think of on this special day? Better yet, have you created your own album and named it after a song?

Join the converation...

New! Video RealTracks for Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac!

NEW with Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac - Video RealTracks Sets!

Video RealTracks allow you to see the RealTracks artist playing that track - you can use them just like any other RealTrack, and you can generate a video which will display the musician playing your song exactly as you hear it. You can also include a chord sheet or notation in the video.

We've added Video RealTracks Set 1: Pop Ballad Band to our Free Bonus PAK included in Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac packages during our release special (which ends May 31st!).
Video RealTracks Set 2: Country TrainBeat Band is included in the 2018 49-PAK, along with 40 Bonus UNRELEASED RealTracks, 22 MIDI SuperTracks, 101 Instrumental Studies, and Artist Performance Set 8: Traditional Songs Sung by Béatrix Méthé.

SPECIAL OFFER: During our Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac release special, purchase our "Video RealTracks Set 3-6 Special Bundle Offer" to complete your purchase with the remaining Video RealTracks Sets for the low price of just $49! http://www.pgmusic.com/bbmac.videorealtracks.htm

Learn more about the new Video RealTracks and see them in action: http://www.pgmusic.com/?vid=fzkX6jO_hW4

Video - 202 NEW RealTracks for Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac!

With the release of Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac we also released 202 NEW RealTracks (in Sets 278-300)!

Listen to all the individual demos here: www.pgmusic.com/bbmac.202newrealtracks.htm, or watch our Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac - 202 New RealTracks Overview Video: http://www.pgmusic.com/?vid=7ZrfGSqjaOU

Get all 202 new RealTracks when you purchase any Band-in-a-Box® 2018 UltraPAK, Audiophile Edition, or the PlusPAK upgrade - on sale until May 31st!

Forum Stats
27517 Members
50 Forums
51869 Topics
428557 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
Terry V, The Captain, KAVEE, JimmyD150155, Stevie G

27516 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Icelander 364
Janice & Bud 151