Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
doogiet Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
I know this is a pretty fundamental question but I'm pretty new to biab, so bear with me.

I've been trying to make a song so I can jam to the chords in Old Love by Eric Clapton, so I inputted the chords and chose real tracks from the list for piano and bass, but when I hit play the thing was a nightmare. The piano wasn't even close to being in time and the bass player was all over the place. But then when I chose a pre-selected style (slowbal) it was great. I'm not sure what I did wrong.

If I load a style then start selecting real tracks, my real tracks will replace the ones in the style, yes?

I'm going to have to watch the instructional videos again...

Veteran
Veteran
It does take some experimenting. That's part of the fun!

Yes, you can replace any track in a style with a RealTrack of your choosing. You can then save the new combination as a new style.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
Veteran
Hi again, Doug.

When I read your post, I found myself wondering if maybe you'd mixed Realtracks that were different time signatures. I haven't tried it but this could potentially create some unusual results.

There's a bit of a learning curve with BIAB/RB but, once you get to the other side (it seems to take about a week or two for most people to start feeling a little bit comfortable), the end result makes the journey very worthwhile.

If you head over to the Users Showcase forum, you'll be able to hear what some users accomplish with BIAB. Here's a link to a song from a couple of experienced users. (The showcase forum can be found here.)

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
doogiet Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Hmm. Maybe that's what I did. I'm not entirely sure. I'll keep at it, though, I'm amazed at the depth of this program.

Veteran
Veteran
Different time signatures would make a mash-up for sure, but you can still produce plenty of weirdness just by mixing incongruous genres. On the other hand, be alert to the possibility something you think couldn't possibly work, might. You just have to put in the time and audition lots of RealTracks, RealDrums and styles. BIAB now makes that easier to do without having to load them into a song.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
Veteran
This might help: go to the far upper left of the main screen and then click "choose from 24 built-in" styles."

Here you will see BiaB's most basic list of styles. Explore the list and see what happens when you try different styles.

The '24 styles' go back to when BiaB was first invented, and that was a long time ago. Since then thousands of styles and hundreds of Realtracks have been added. I think if you start by exploring these most basic styles you will be able to get a grip on where the other styles and real tracks come into the picture.

Flatfoot sez: Call me when 'Talent-in-a-Box' is ready to ship! -- [8{>

Got some tunes on You Tube:
http://www.youtube.com/user/flatfoot50
My BiaB lesson site:
http://jdwolfe0.wixsite.com/learnbiab
Veteran
Veteran
Hi dooglet,

If anyone hasn't said so yet, welcome to the forum and to Band-in-a-Box. BiaB is confusing and part of learning how to use it is to understand the terminology and tools that it offers.

A song is just that, a song. All the information BiaB needs to recreate a song is contained in a song file. Band-in-a-Box song files have the nickname SGU file because song files have the suffix SGU. Most DAWs call their default files, project files because the file may include information about a musical piece, a song or a compact disk project. Band-in-a-Box concentrates on making song accompaniment so the default name for a file is a song file.

A style contains information Band-in-a-Box will use to put chord progressions together. Styles define how to create midi notation that midi instruments can follow, what midi instruments or RealTracks are initially selected, starting tempo, time signature (3/4 or 4/4 time), key signature (typically middle "C") and if the feel is swing (SW) or even (EV). Band-in-a-Box initially opens the ZZJAZZ.STY by default. The ".STY" tells you ZZJAZZ.STY is the name of a style file. The "ZZ" in the name tells you ZZJAZZ.STY is one of the original Band-in-a-Box styles. PG Music has original (midi) styles, midi styles with only midi instrument selections, hybrid styles with both midi and RealTracks instrument selections and RealStyles which have only RealTracks instrument slelections.

RealTracks are audio instrument tracks created by PG Music. In Band-in-a-Box RealTracks replace midi instruments. RealTracks may have midi notation but the notation is for the onscreen piano keyboards, fretboards and printing lead sheets. RealTracks midi has nothing to do with the audio.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1111) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Veteran
Veteran
Also look in the folder where BiaB is installed. Usually it is C:BB. There is a folder there caled "50 songs. It also goes back to the first version of BiaB.

The files there will make it clear what PG means when they call something a "Song."

Flatfoot sez: Call me when 'Talent-in-a-Box' is ready to ship! -- [8{>

Got some tunes on You Tube:
http://www.youtube.com/user/flatfoot50
My BiaB lesson site:
http://jdwolfe0.wixsite.com/learnbiab
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
so I inputted the chords and chose real tracks from the list for piano and bass, but when I hit play the thing was a nightmare.

In addition to selecting the proper RealTrack (3/4 versus 4/4), it also makes me wonder if you put the chords in the correct position for the song. Each bar in BIAB contains two cells and each cell can contain two chords. To enter the two chords in a cell, just separate them with a comma. Move on to the next cell and do the same thing. The first cell in each bar (in general) represents beats 1 and two; the second cell in each bar represents beats 3 and 4 (for a 4/4 song).

To enter a chord in just the 2nd half of the cell, just type a comma followed by the chord.

Also, there is always a default style loaded when you started BIAB (which you can change), which will play in addition to any instruments you substituted. So if you only substituted the bass and piano, whatever instruments defined in the underlying style for drums, guitar, and strings will also play. If the underlying style is a 4/4 straight feel and the piano and bass you selected were a swing feel, it just isn't going to sound very good.

What BIAB plays is all based on styles, with substitutions allowed. Unless muted, however, all instruments defined in the style will play.

My suggestion is to decide the feel of the song you want to use (4/4, straight or swing, 8th or 16th feel - you usually use 8th feel for faster tempos and 16th feel for slower tempos, but it depends on the song).

Frame out your song using the three numbered boxed on the main screen. The first is the bar number the song starts on (to take into account an intro), the second number is the number of bars in the song, and the third number is the number of times to repeat the song (between the start number and the end based on number of bars). By default, BIAB will add a two-bar ending to the song after the last chorus plays.

Once you have framed out your song, enter the chords in the appropriate bars (I'm not getting into advanced features here, so I'm just assuming each bar starts on a beat).

Set an appropriate tempo, and then go to StylePicker to choose an appropriate style based on everything discussed above.

Now hit play/generate to listen to the song. It won't sound like the original, because of the style you chose, but the chords should line up on the right beats and everything should play in the same feel.

Once you're okay with this, now you can start looking at substituting styles and/or individual tracks. If you substitute tracks, make sure (at least while you are still learning) the style has the same attributes as the underlying style. RealTracks can be soloist tracks (like a guitar lead) or rhythm tracks, and will indicate that in their name. You'll also see if they are 4/4 or 3/4 (waltz styles as well). The RealTrack picker will also show appropriate tempos for the style.

Hopefully this will get you closer to what you want to do. It takes longer to read this post than to actually do everything described.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,587
Posts734,745
Members38,500
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Krystal Mcclain, Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex
38,500 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 191