Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#88613 - 10/21/10 07:53 AM [PowerTracks Pro Audio] VSTi problem in Power Tracks
calinexile Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Amarillo Texas
I recently purchased a new computer that came with Windows 7 (64 bit) installed. BB and PT seem to operate just fine. But when I go to convert *.seq files to audio, I run into a sort of brick wall. The VSTi synth that comes with BB wouldn't install, so I couldn't do a direct conversion as before in Win XP. I attempted to follow the procedure of using my Creative Audigy card. But it appears that pci midi is not supported in Win 7, being superceded by USB MIDI, in other words, external devices. So now I am without a way to convert to an audio file so I can't use the backup arrangements unless I play from a laptop, which I can't afford. Does anyone know of software that can do the conversion? Also, I'd like to be able to use my soundfonts, since some of the instruments on the Creative sound card sound more suitable for an arcade game. Also, part of the arrangements are audio tracks. Help!

#88614 - 10/21/10 08:32 AM [PowerTracks Pro Audio] Re: VSTi problem in Power Tracks [Re: calinexile]
rharv Offline
Veteran

Loc: Marysville, Mi. USA
Use the Coyote Wavetable synth, comes with recent versions of PGMusic products for just such an occasion.

That said, did you download the most recent drivers from Creative for your Audigy. The new drivers should make the PCI MIDI work, if they are available.

http://support.creative.com/kb/showarticle.aspx?sid=61105

#88615 - 10/21/10 10:12 AM [PowerTracks Pro Audio] Re: VSTi problem in Power Tracks [Re: rharv]
jford Offline
Veteran

Loc: Pensacola, Florida
I've got a Creative X-Fi Gamer in a PCI slot on my Windows 7 machine and it works fine. Of course, it won't direct render (you have to "record" the track to convert to audio), but it works fine. As long as you have the appropriate Windows 7 drivers for your Audigy, it should work (make sure you download the most current soundfont bank manager.

If your "Creative instruments" sound like an arcade game, it's probably because you are using the default 2MB soundfont that comes with the card. When you install the driver package, you should also get the 4MB and 8MB soundfonts (still not great, but much better sounding than the 2MB). Or load your own soundfont.

Either way, if you are not using a DXi or VSTi soft synth, you will have to record the track to convert to audio (which you also have to do with external units).

If PowerTracks isn't seeing your card, then it sounds like a driver issue to me.

#1-Win10Pro-64,8GB,7200RPM
#2-Win10Pro-64,16GB,SSDBoot,7200RPM
#3-Win7Pro-64,8GB,7200RPM
H/W: Onboard audio, FastTrack Pro, Casio Kbds
S/W: BB/RB2017/Sonar/Reaper/Notion/Finale/Noteworthy/
NI Komplete/Halion/Garritan/IK
Web: http://www.sus4chord.com

#88616 - 10/21/10 11:34 PM [PowerTracks Pro Audio] Re: VSTi problem in Power Tracks [Re: jford]
calinexile Offline
Enthusiast

The sound card works without problem, and I have indeed loaded down the most recent drivers from Creative, so that part is okay. I haven't yet done anything with installing soundfonts, waiting to resolve this issue first. My most recent purchase of PG products was BB 2009.5 as an upgrade. PT shows the card okay, but when I go to windows mixer, the MIDI choice is missing. If I go ahead and install a USB-midi driver for my Casio keyboard, would it maybe allow me to also use my card MIDI port internally? If so, problem solved - I'll just go the 'long' route and record in real time. What do you think?

#88617 - 10/22/10 06:50 AM [PowerTracks Pro Audio] Re: VSTi problem in Power Tracks [Re: calinexile]
rharv Offline
Veteran

Read the Creative notes on the new driver; joystick connection does not work in Win7 and the MIDI is on that joystick adapter, right?
Looks like USB is your best choice.
"Gameport is not supported in Windows 7, Windows Vista and Windows XP Professional x64 Edition."

#88618 - 10/23/10 12:13 AM [PowerTracks Pro Audio] Re: VSTi problem in Power Tracks [Re: rharv]
calinexile Offline
Enthusiast

Thanks to your input, I'm re-thinking this pci midi issue, and if there is some obvious workaround. Maybe there is. I'm going to try feeding the sounds of midi playback from the card right back to the card as a stereo audio track. Probably have to be careful not to allow playback of that track during record, which would likely set off massive feedback. Might have to buffer the output/input through my mixer. By the way, thank you very much for mentioning the use of a higher order sound font. About 5 years ago, I lapsed into a very long dry spell, and am now just beginning to come back to life. At one time, I had mapped out several sound fonts, complete with printed references to find them as needed. That all evaporated into thin air, and I am going back to square one to learn it all over again. Your mention of the sound font (8m) jogged my memory. Time to reprint those tutorials! I'll let you know how things work out with the Creative sound card.

#88619 - 10/23/10 12:41 PM [PowerTracks Pro Audio] Re: VSTi problem in Power Tracks [Re: calinexile]
rharv Offline
Veteran

USB MIDI should work to Casio also, if you want that option.

I like the 12 meg Chaos soundfont as a starting point. Size wise it's not too heavy, easy to install and modify.
The MIDI to the card itself should work so you can play fonts. The gameport not working often means the MIDI connections from that gameport wire assembly aren't going to work either.

Recording the sound back in as you described is how you will have to do it. The Creative cards don't 'render' like a softsynth, but they do record back in, once routed (enabled) in the Creative mixer.
No need to go out to a mixer, it is all done digitally inside the Creative mixer.

#88620 - 10/24/10 12:17 AM [PowerTracks Pro Audio] Re: VSTi problem in Power Tracks [Re: rharv]
calinexile Offline
Enthusiast

Speaking of the Creative mixer; Not having the original install disk anymore, I went searching for an updated version of the mixer, and found one that seemed to install ok. However, when I try to open it, I get a dialog that says it can't see my card in/out ports. So, I have to rely on the windows mixer that gives me two output options: to speakers or digital. I'm guessing that the speaker outs are line level, since the speakers are typical powered ones (amp contained in the subwoofer). I have tried the line outs, and there's no signal there, probably because those haven't been enabled (catch 22)
Another option, one that was successful years ago, was to record to VCR. The sound quality was more than adequate for what I do.

#88621 - 10/24/10 06:23 AM [PowerTracks Pro Audio] Re: VSTi problem in Power Tracks [Re: calinexile]
rharv Offline
Veteran

If the drivers can't find the outputs, you may have installed the wrong drivers.
Did they come from the Creative link I posted above? Pay close attention to the model.
Did you get the 'Audio Console' feature? In there is (suppose to be) your mixer and config for the card.

#88622 - 10/24/10 08:34 AM [PowerTracks Pro Audio] Re: VSTi problem in Power Tracks [Re: rharv]
Mac Offline
Veteran

Loc: Chesapeake, Virginia USA
Sounds to me like Windows may have gone ahead and installed its own generic drivers for the card.

That can happen if you do not say, "No" at the "Found New Hardware" prompt when you first boot the machine with your Creative card in it.

You may have to UNinstall the card, then reboot the machine in order for Windows to do cleanup, then say No to the same prompt and then install the proper driver package from Creative for your OS.

--Mac

You must be Audiominds.
www.audiominds.com

#88623 - 10/24/10 08:44 AM [PowerTracks Pro Audio] Re: VSTi problem in Power Tracks [Re: Mac]
rharv Offline
Veteran

And when Mac says UNinstall the card, I think he means to physically remove it. Boot windows without the card in the machine, to cleanly remove the drivers. Then try the reinstall all over again, watching for what Mac stateed.

#88624 - 10/25/10 04:31 AM [PowerTracks Pro Audio] Re: VSTi problem in Power Tracks [Re: Mac]
LynB Offline
Veteran

Loc: Barton-on-Sea,Hants,UK
A similar problem happened to me when I moved to XP with a previous version of the Creative Card. It took me a while to realise the problem. I had all the Audio features but no soundfonts etc.

#88625 - 10/27/10 01:39 PM [PowerTracks Pro Audio] Re: VSTi problem in Power Tracks [Re: calinexile]
jazzmammal Offline
Veteran

Loc: Redondo Beach, Ca.
This thread sort of got sidetracked with everybody talking about how to get your Creative card working with midi and soundfonts. Your original question centers on the fact that the included DXi synth doesn't work for you so you can't do direct rendering. Here's the story on that. The Roland VSC Dxi is an orphan synth, Roland is not supporting it any more and it doesn't work with 64 bit Windows systems. Nothing PG can do about it. However, the Roland TTS-1 does work but it is not sold separately. It's always bundled with most versions of Cakewalk products. That's why PG now sells Cakewalks Music Creator not because you need another sequencer but because it includes the TTS-1. The other very affordable option is the Forte DXi. To me this is the best deal at $40 but a lot of people like the TTS-1 too. All you have to do with the Forte is download the demo. It's fully functional for 30 days, after that give them the $40 and they give you a register key. That avoids all this stuff about soundfonts in your hardware Creative card, you can simply play your songs and render to wav as you asked about in your original question.
I notice you're using Biab 2009.5 I believe the Coyote Wavetable option didn't get included until the 2010 version but you should be able to download it from PG if you want that. It still only uses your on board sound chip for sound and that's not very good but it is a DXi so it will do direct rendering and it's free. Note the Coyote Wavetable and the Coyote Forte DXi are two separate synths. The Forte is much better than the Wavetable.

Bob

#88626 - 10/27/10 02:25 PM [PowerTracks Pro Audio] Re: VSTi problem in Power Tracks [Re: jazzmammal]
jford Offline
Veteran

Loc: Pensacola, Florida
I don't think you can download the Coyote Wavetable. Someone asked previously and the response was you had to have BIAB 2010 or later to get it. I suspect it's a licensing issue.

#1-Win10Pro-64,8GB,7200RPM
#2-Win10Pro-64,16GB,SSDBoot,7200RPM
#3-Win7Pro-64,8GB,7200RPM
H/W: Onboard audio, FastTrack Pro, Casio Kbds
S/W: BB/RB2017/Sonar/Reaper/Notion/Finale/Noteworthy/
NI Komplete/Halion/Garritan/IK
Web: http://www.sus4chord.com

#88627 - 09/09/11 11:46 PM [PowerTracks Pro Audio] Re: VSTi problem in Power Tracks [Re: jazzmammal]
WilsonF Offline

So, I got the Cakewalk Music Creator. Now, how do I use the TTS-1 that comes with it, in Power Tracks (v. 12)? It doesn't show up as a MIDI driver in Power Tracks after I installed MC. Do I have to reboot?

Wilson

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

PG Music News
RealBand 2017 Patch Update Available! (Build 8)

Attention RealBand 2017 users - the latest patch update (build 8) is available, and can be downloaded here.

Summary of Changes for Version 2017 Build 8:
Fixed: Empty MIDI SuperTracks and Best Soloist dialogs.
Fixed: After the end of a song, it would continue to play silence if Always On MME was enabled.
Fixed: CPU meter would say "PT" during bootup.

Band-in-a-Box® Version 2017 for Windows Patch Update 468 Available!

Attention Band-in-a-Box® 2017 for Windows users - the latest patch update (468) is available, and can be downloaded here.

Summary of Changes for Version 2017 Build 468:
Fixed: Various popup dialogs (eg editing volume on mixer) might appear partially off screen.
Fixed: Setting "Audio Master (Base) Tempo" does not take effect until reloading the song.
Fixed: If importing audio while launching the Audio Chord Wizard, the wrong audio master tempo is set, causing the audio track to never be in sync with the style.
Fixed: Dragging to the WAV quadrant of the drop station would ignore the "Drag Master as separate tracks" setting.
Fixed: The [Edit Soloist] and [Edit Melody] buttons in the Event List Editor dialog did not work.
Fixed: Disabling "Draw interpolation" would cause random lines between sample points in the Audio Edit window.
Fixed: If a THRU harmony is selected, then Band-in-a-Box would freeze when soloing the Soloist or Thru tracks.
Fixed: Changing the color setting for "Window background" in the Audio Edit window had no effect.
Fixed: Hitting [Cancel] in the Audio Edit Settings dialog would cause a random zoom to occur.
Fixed: The [Sample] button in the Audio Edit window would zoom in to the far left of the screen, rather than to the cursor.
Fixed: If opening a song that was saved in the Mac version, a random character would be inserted at the beginning of these lead sheet fields: "Style", "Tempo", "Copyright", "Composer", and "Composer2".
Fixed: When exporting a video of the chord sheet, the the resulting video might be cropped.
Fixed: The drop station would take a few seconds to respond during the first attempt to drag and drop.

Band-in-a-Box® Video Tutorial VHS - #TBT

WOW - Look at what we came across! The Inside Band-in-a-Box Instructional Video Series for Band-in-a-Box Version 7!

Take a look...

These covered so many different topics... we needed 2 VHS tapes! From the basics of entering a song, chords, transposing, notation, recording a melody, etc. to advanced features like working with harmonies, secrets to the StyleMaker, drum patters, recording patterns and more, these videos were a hit!

Video - Band-in-a-Box® and Pro Tools

Are you a Pro Tools user? Have you seen our video, Using Band-in-a-Box to Supercharge Pro Tools?

Watch it now to learn how the powerful combination of Band-in-a-Box® and Pro Tools can boost your music creativity: Video - Using Band-in-a-Box to Supercharge Pro Tools

YouTube Find - My First Backing Track, First YouTube Video

We love that YouTube user Rick Mccann posted a video playing along with his first backing track using Band-in-a-Box!

Watch - First YouTube Video

What a great job - hopefully we see more from Rick!

User Tip - Differences Between the 'Regular' and Audiophile Version... #TipTuesday

Long time program user and forum member Matt Finley had shared his tip regarding the Audiophile version of Band-in-a-Box earlier this year, and it's still valid today!

If you've ever wondered what the difference between the 'regular version' of Band-in-a-Box and the Audiophile version, make sure you read through his forum post: Tip: differences between the 'regular' and audiophile version - it's well written, and always great to hear about the program from fellow users!

The Audiophile Version includes the entire contents of the EverythingPAK and adds the uncompressed WAV or AIFF files for all the included RealTracks & RealDrums! Learn more about the Audiophile version: www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.packages.audiophile.htm

Band-in-a-Box® User Feedback - Wow!

There are so many ways to get in touch with people these days... phone, email, social networking, etc.... so of course we hear more feedback from program users these days!
...and here's what they're saying:

"I discovered Band in a Box about a year ago. I hesitated several times before purchasing it as I couldn't quite believe it was going to be as good as the hype. I eventually relented and I can honestly say, it's an incredible program and does some amazing things. As a songwriter, it's an indispensable tool and I can't imagine not having it."
-Vince C.

"I bought the first band in a box for my Atari 1040 ST and I used it for at least 10 years before upgrading to a Windows computer. After real drums, and then real tracks, came out I have upgraded every December since. The program is absolutely inspired and inspirational."
-Kirk O.

"Not everyone can find or afford real musicians to assist them when writing songs - and if working from home, as many songwriters do, there might not be room for them. Band In A Box does the next best thing and takes recordings of real musicians performing, then makes the material available pretty much in real time, in a form that adapts to your own composition by following the chord sequences. Hard to explain simply, but fairly amazing in practice."
-Steve C.

"Great tool for musicians - and the drummer keeps a steady beat!!"
-Maurice A.

"Great for learning new songs. I was weak on country rock songs and with the combination of using Riffstation and BIAB I am able to creat my own backup track for live performance and practicing songs with easier chording... Thanks PG!"
-Laurent C.

"I have it since 2001, use it all the time, great program!"
-John F.

"Thank you Band in a Box. I am a songwriter, and don't play several instruments, so I love being able to wear 2 hats and write and produce, and then later record vocals... You have probably saved me months/years on my project. Excellent tool. Thanks again!"
-Randy A.

"Didn't think I would ever go down that road but got roped into it by another muso friend, bought it and now loving it!"
-Fred P.

Let us know what you think! Post a review on our Band-in-a-Box Comments page, visit our Facebook page, or contact us directly.

Forum Stats
26497 Members
50 Forums
47930 Topics
391223 Posts

Max Online: 2283 @ 08/25/16 03:52 PM
Newest Members
jim graves, markmick, Voltrane, RyanR, Steve S

26496 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Al-David 186
VideoTrack 157