Page 1 of 2 1 2
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
K
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
K
Hello,

Having real trouble trying to get the Garritan Vsti to play or associate itself with Realband, or BIAB, or PT. I've followed all the instructions, activated Garritan, then when I try to use it; press the Vsti button in Realband and it tells me that it's not activated. Been trying now for at least 3 days, tearing my hair (what little I have) out trying to use it.
Would really appreciate a step by step tutorial, preferably a video, to show me how to do it. I may add I've installed BIAB and other programmes on a separate hard drive.

Best regards.

Ken Matthews.

Veteran
Veteran
Hi, Ken -

You mentioned RealBand, BIAB, and PT (which I presume you mean as PowerTracks, not Protools). Do you have all three and are you trying to get it to run in all three? Which version(s)?

BIAB/RealBand 2014 and later require activation; did you do that? You should have received a serial number when you got the program (it was not clear whether you meant Garritan or RealBand activation). You get 30 days of "free" use before you have to activate BIAB/RealBand. If you are having trouble with activation, I would suggest calling PGMusic support.

I'm assuming that since you said you activated Garritan, that you are aware it runs in the what is called the Aria interface. In BIAB and RealBand, you load the Aria.dll to access the Garritan libraries. Have you launched the stand-alone Aria player to make sure Garritan works there? Also, unless you have BIAB/RealBand 2015 with the jBridge extension, make sure you are loading the 32-bit version of Aria, otherwise it won't work.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
K
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
K
Hello John,

I have all three, BIAB, REAl Band and Powertracks 2015.
My problem is, every time I click the Vsti button it tells me that Aria is not activated... and it is! So that's as far as gone with it, which is why I'm asking the forum if they've had this problem, or is it only me? Tried it in Powertracks and Realband, same result...

Best regards.
Ken.

K
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
K
I tried to do a screengrab, but can't find a way to link it to the message, so... Here's the message: "Your copy of Garritan Aria is not activated for 'Acid Pro', saving instruments from this bank is disabled."
I have no idea why it refers to "Acid" although I do have it on the computer...

Best regards.
Ken

Veteran
Veteran
Ken,

As a doublecheck, login to you account at Garritan and see if your product has been registered. Something might have happened between your computer and Garritan.

If the registration went through successfully, it will be listed under 'My Software'.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
K
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
K
Hello Noel,

Thanks for that, checked with Garritan and all's in order. It's also sitting on my desktop...

Best regards.
Ken

Veteran
Veteran
Ken,

What is your operating system and is it 32-bit or 64-bit?

I just tried loading Aria into BIAB (2015) and it worked fine. I have a 32-bit operating system. I used the <ARIA Player VST_x86.dll> found under the Garritan folder.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Veteran
Veteran
Again, can you run Garritan in the standalone Aria Player? Did you buy GPO from MakeMusic/Garritan or did it come bundled with another program?

The first thing I would do is to try to run GPO using the standalone Aria Player, which should have installed when you installed GPO. Licensing for Garritan products is via a graphics image file that looks sort of like a credit card. You just drag that image onto the Aria player, and that library (in this case GPO) should be unlocked. The license is on a user basis, so you can unlock GPO on multiple machines.

If you can play instruments in the stand-alone player, then I would try running BIAB as "administrator" (right click on the BIAB icon and select "run as administrator". If that works, you can make that permanent by right clicking on the icon, selecting properties from the drop down menu, and then select the Compatibility tab and check the box "Run as administrator".

You might also try removing the VSTi from your BIAB list and then adding it again and see if it works.

After that, I'm not sure what to do. I have all the Garritan libraries running well on two different computers (Win7 and Win8.1), so I know it works.

John

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

K
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
K
Hello John,
I try to use Aria on the desktop but only get weird sounds (the same for everything, and I appear to have loaded woodwind ensemble or brass etc. Perhaps I should uninstall the whole thing, incidentally, I bought the programme from PG and I run Windows 7.

Best regards.
Ken.

K
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
K
I have both 32 and 64, but only use 32 as advised...

Veteran
Veteran
What kind of sound card are you running? Are you using ASIO or MME drivers? Did you try running BIAB/RealBand as "administrator"? Did it make any difference.

I suspect weird sounds in the stand-alone is because you need to properly set up your sound source.

I'll take a look at my configuration this evening after work and see if I can figure anything out. I'll try to post some screen shots then too, to see if that helps.

John

Veteran
Veteran
Ken,

Even if you followed a similar procedure when you unsuccessfully tried to load the Aria player, can you please step through the below process and try it out. It will be very valuable in helping us in the forum here to isolate your problem.

This is what I did when I loaded Aria into BIAB. I put a Garritan string bass sound on the Bass track (I have Garritan Jazz and Big Band).

1. Disengaged the auto-substitute Realstyles for midi following the #1, #2 on the image below.

2. Selected a midi style (I used J!EdLng2.sty and loaded the demo song for the style so that I'd have a chord progression in BIAB).

3. Clicked on the Plugins button and selected the option shown as #2.

4. Then I selected the Bass track (#1), clicked on the dropdown synth menu (#2) and clicked on "Add VSTi" at the very bottom of the list.

5. Now I navigated to where the Aria player was. Because I have a 32-bit operating system, it was under "c:\Program files | Garritan | Aria Player | VST" (numbers #1 - 4 below).

NOTE: If you have a 64-bit operating system, you'll probably have to look for the file in "c:\Program files(x86) | Garritan | VST" - "Program files(x86)" is the usual directory for 32-bit applications.

6. Select the 'x86' VST player that's shown as #5 on the above image. The 'x86' indicates that this is a 32-bit player. (I did not use the player with "MULTI" in the name.)

Does the Aria player now open?

Please let us know.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Veteran
Veteran
Noel beat me to it (thanks, Noel). If it still doesn't work, there is something wrong somewhere, because we know it can and does work.

Give us as much detail as possible and post your own screen shots, if possible, to help us figure this out for you.

John

K
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
K
Hello John and Noel,
Thanks for the information.
Before I actually read your information, I was busily engaged in uninstalling Garritan AND Acid Pro.
Uninstalled Acid pro
Uninstalled Garritan for Acid Pro
Uninstalled Aria player
Uninstalled Garritan Aria player
Downloaded Garritan PO
Extracted to ‘K’ drive
Installed Garritan again.
I now have Garritan PO up and running... I downloaded one of my Orchestral pieces and where it should be lush, it was, however all of my other instruments were gone. I suspect that is because I've got a whole more lot to learn about the interaction between Garritan and the various PG programmes.
Your advice has been great and I appreciate it, one more question. Can you advise me on programmes (Garritan etc) which would be useful to me in getting all my instruments back, so I can include the best samples. That may sound a little confusing, I think....

Best regards.
Ken.

Veteran
Veteran
That's a broad statement that all of your instruments were gone. Could you elaborate further, please? Are you talking RealTracks or MIDI? You mentioned you purchased Garritan from PGMusic in an earlier thread (or did you mean you purchased BIAB from PGMusic). I ask because you state you uninstalled Garritan for Acid Pro. That version, as I understand it contains sounds from GPO, but isn't GPO itself. It is a version of Garritan sounds that is licensed to Sony for inclusion with Acid Pro 7.

Please let us know.

John

K
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
K
Hello John,

When I say all the other instruments were gone, I'm referring to the fact that I'd loaded Garritan, the string section. I'd also loaded in an Orchestral piece that had drums and other instruments, along with strings... I know nothing (at present) how to go about marrying up Garritan with PG products, which is why I was looking for help... So, I surmise, I'd simply loaded Garritan string section, which took over all the Midi channels I was using, substituting its instruments for the original ones.
When I say I bought Garritan from PG, I did. I also updated, to 2015, all my other products. Band-in-the-Box, Powertracks, Realband etc.
And, as for Acid Pro, I assumed, given the error message, that somehow that was also associated/or interfering with PG products, and may be causing the problems. Although I uninstalled Acid Pro, it's not a problem, I can simply go to Sony/my accounts and download it again. So uninstalling it was an easy decision.

Best regards.
Ken

Veteran
Veteran
Ken, in BIAB what is your default synth set up as? If you set up Garritan as your default synth, then songs aren't going to play very well, because Garritan is not a General MIDI compliant synth and you have to define all the instruments used for each appropriate channel. What you probably need to do is to define a default GM synth (BIAB comes with the CoyoteWT, which isn't the greatest, but works). Then, when you want a specific Garritan instrument on a particular track, you just substitute it for that track. That way guitars, bass, drums, etc will play through the default synth, and you can have (for example) the strings track play using Garritan.

If you are unsure of how to do that, look in the BIAB Help system under the Contents tab and check out "Getting Started (Installation/Setup)" and you will see two topics: "DX Synth (DXi plug-in)" and "VST synth (VSTi plug-in)". Those two topics discuss setting up your default synth.

John

K
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
K
Hello John,

I now have Coyote Forte dxi as my default, having just bought it yesterday. Slowly learning how to get it all integrated, having slight problems trying to get to terms with (possibly)having a separate VSTI for every midi track. Your input, and everybody else's, has been great, and is really appreciated.
I do think that a step-by-step video tutorial, would be a real boon for others wanting to have multiple VSTI's operational in their PG products!
Back to wrestling with that very thing...

Best regards.
Ken

Veteran
Veteran
Ken,

If you go to the below link, you'll find a video on VST plugins. This may help.

http://www.pgmusic.com/videos.bbwin.htm

In the "Intermediate" section, look for ...

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
K
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
K
Hello Noel,

Thanks for that, may be the very thing...

Best regards.
Ken.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,563
Posts734,434
Members38,492
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
VIPBET사설토토, GlebeGreg, michel vermeulen, Mikanh132, ABE
38,491 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 185