PowerTracks Pro Audio
P
PeterJ Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
P
Hi all,

Having recently upgraded from Windows XP to Windows 7 [64 Bit], I needed a new MIDI interface and so I purchased a Neusonik uMIDI/022 which is a USB 2.0 Midi interface cable with 2 I/O ports and which does not need drivers.

When using the uMIDI/022 for midi input and output in PTracks, I have been getting intermittent problems, whereby sometimes when playing a Midifile, on pressing start, the file starts to play but immediately freezes Ptracks. In order to restore PTracks I have to press ctrl/alt/del and then when reopening PTracks and setting up MIDI Devices after selecting uMIDI/022 and OK,I am advised by the {Windows, I think] uMIDI/022 window that 'there is not enough memory available for this task 'and I should' Quit one or more applications to increase available memory and try again'

Since I have 16 GB of memory, I find the reference to 'not enough memory' puzzling. Also, when I am using PTracks, I do not have any other applications on so am unable to turn them off!

Although, I do not have any other applications on when using PTracks, I do have other applications which use MIDI, namely Band in a Box, RealBand, Sonar X3 and Sonar Artist --- do these applications require memory even when not active? In order to allow PTracks to play and record Midi I have to severely restrict or turn off in some cases Midi inputs and outputs for the above applications and PTracks by using Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth for Midi out and uMIDI/022 {Midi IN 2} for Midi in [Sonar X3, Sonar Artist and Ptracks only].

I wonder if anyone else has experienced similar problems and can advise solutions. Maybe I need to allocate more memory from the 16 GB RAM to some 'cache' which the MIDI interface relies on --- does anyone know?

Alternatively, I would be interested to know what other midi interfaces for Widows 7 [64 Bit] and PTracks other Forum contributors are using?

My setup is an Intel Core i5 4670K Processor, 16 GB DDR3 1600MHz Memory, 2TB SATA Hard Drive and 120GB SSD Drive running Windows 7 64 Bit Home Edition. My Audio interface is a Focusrite Scarlett Solo. PowerTracks is version 2015.

Thank you.

Regards,

Peter J

PowerTracks Pro Audio
Veteran
Veteran
just a random thought

what is hooked to other end of MIDI CABLE (what unit)? Is "MIDI thru" re-routed to "MIDI out" on that device? Additionally, do you have MIDI thru turned on in PowerTracks(aka PT)

A (infinite) MIDI loop will give identical freeze symptoms. To test that simply turn off the external MIDI device when that happens to see if you get control back on PC

Good Luck

Larry

Last edited by Larry Kehl; 04/09/15 06:01 AM.

Win10Pro,i9,64GB,2TBSSD+20TBHDDs,1080TI,BIAB'24,Scarlett18i8,Montage7,Fusion 8HD,QS8,Integra7,XV5080,QSR,SC-8850,SPLAT,FL21&others,Komp.14,IK suite&others, just a guitar player-AXE FX III &FM9T, FishmanTP, MIDIGuitar2, GK2/3'sw/GI20
PowerTracks Pro Audio
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
A (infinite) MIDI loop will give identical freeze symptoms.

My first thought also.
If you send MIDI out to a device that then sends it back .. and you send that return back out to that device again (along with the new data that has come along during playback), which then sends it all back again .. etc

This can cause any system (regardless of RAM) to eventually have an issue.
Endless loops are ugly no matter what caused them, including MIDI.

I would think that the MIDI specs would have evolved to where, by sending a simple DeviceId at start of any message, a device could recognize "Hey I just sent this; I should ignore the return message" .. but that's just me.
Apparently others smarter than I haven't solved it.

I've yet to encounter a real life instance that would require a device to receive what it had sent out.. yet it is up to the user to prevent (as a default), rather than enable.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
PowerTracks Pro Audio
P
PeterJ Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
P
Hi Larry and RHARV,

Thank you both for your post.

Under my setup the uMIDI/022 connects to my PC via USB and to my Midi 'mixer' via its 2 midi cables --- the 'mixer' consists of a Roland MPU104 master unit connected to n MPU105 slave unit. This arrangement allows connection by midi of any 1 of 5 master inputs to any or all of 5 slave inputs. Under Midi,I have therefore theoretically the facility to connect as applicable my Windows XP or Windows 7 PC's to my Roland RA95 [GS] midifile player or to whichever of 4 different synths I wish.

The 'memory' problem with PT is preventing connection between the Windows 7 PC and the various synths and Midifile player because in PT the only Midi out that I can obtain is Microsoft GS wavetable synth. Under Sonar X3 and Sonar Artist I can as well as wavetable also connect to the synths/midifile player via uMIDI/022. With PT I would like to be able to connect with the midifile player.

I looked into your suggestion of a midi loop but midi thro is set to off in PT and the linkage of the midi network is such that as configured a loop is not possible when connecting the Windows 7 PC via the midi mixer to the RA95 midifile player.

Could I ask what midi interfaces you are using with your set up?

Thank you for your advice

Regards,

Peter

PowerTracks Pro Audio
Veteran
Veteran
Peter

Originally Posted By: PeterJ
Hi Larry and RHARV,

The 'memory' problem with PT is preventing connection between the Windows 7 PC and the various synths and Midifile player because in PT the only Midi out that I can obtain is Microsoft GS wavetable synth. ...

What version of PT are you running?

And to be precise when you say the "...only Midi out that I can obtain is Microsoft GS wavetable synth" I assume you mean that PowerTracks is not seeing the "uMIDI/022" MIDI interface?

Not sure what PTs would "say" in its MIDI Out window, since I am unfamiliar with your MIDI port device, but as FYI my inexpensive USB to MIDI cable for my Win XP laptop simply says, when plugged into my Win 7 64 desktop, "USB 2.0 - MIDI. "

that aside, you say Sonar and other SW is seeing that MIDI port device, whatever it's called, so maybe just reinstall PT. PTs, to date, has no serial number, registry tweaks, licensing auth hoop-jumping, or other hassles - so SIMPLY reinstall and see what happens.

This won’t help you but

From my desktop PC to "outside world" I use an old MIDI Man USB 2x2 (laptop Win XP uses a RS-232 to MIDI with a multi port Roland driver, and sometimes that USB to MIDI cable [mentioned above] to the rack)

But since I have so much external MIDI gear both of the MIDIMan's outputs/inputs got to/from three interconnected MIDI patch bays: two JL Cooper MSB Rev 2 (8x8 MIDI patch bays) and a Digital Music Corp MX-8 (8 in/6 out Midi patch bay). all my "controllers" (PC, keyboards and MIDI guitars can communicate cross stream to all other controllers or "down stream" to synth sound modules, MFX units etc.)

Good Luck
Larry

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
PT thru.jpg (211.05 KB, 50 downloads)

Win10Pro,i9,64GB,2TBSSD+20TBHDDs,1080TI,BIAB'24,Scarlett18i8,Montage7,Fusion 8HD,QS8,Integra7,XV5080,QSR,SC-8850,SPLAT,FL21&others,Komp.14,IK suite&others, just a guitar player-AXE FX III &FM9T, FishmanTP, MIDIGuitar2, GK2/3'sw/GI20
PowerTracks Pro Audio
P
PeterJ Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
P
Hi Larry,

Thanks for your post.

I am running PowerTracks 2015.

Powertracks is seeing the 'uMIDI/022' midi interface but when I select either of the 'uMIDI/022' midi outs in the PT MIDI driver window I am advised that there is insufficient memory to complete this action. Hence my only midi out option is Microsoft GS Wavetable synth. As described in my original post. I am then advised to turn off other apps to free up memory but since there are no other active apps that is not possible.

Presently, in order to maximise potential memory for PowerTracks , BiaB and RealBand have no midi in active and use GS wavetable synth as midi out. Sonar X3, Sonar Artist and PowerTracks have uMIDI/022 {MIDI IN2] selected as midi in and GS Wavetable synth as Midi out. Any attempt to select other uMIDI/022 inputs/outputs brings up the 'memory, message as above.

I currently have 2 Sonar DAW's which I am regularly using independently of PowerTracks on an ongoing project. Shortly on completion of this project I may be able to 'mothball' one of the Sonar DAW's to see then if any memory can be freed up to allow a uMIDI/022 midi out to be selected in PowerTracks.

I would like to get PowerTracks fully functioning as I particularly like the way it deals with midi and notation so I will for now put up with the restricted operation but continue to seek a remedy to the problem.

You certainly have an impressive array of peripheral equipment. I suppose that over the years one collects a lot of kit[I know I have] but I am sorry to say that some of mine is gathering dust as I do not have sufficient space to keep it all available and active.

Many thanks for your advice.

Regards,

Peter J

PowerTracks Pro Audio
Veteran
Veteran
well I have never seen that or any "memory" issue relative to a MIDI port use, driver, or its invocation by PT, (or RB or BIAB and I would assume all three use the same API/subroutine/method)

It is strange. Have you tried a fresh install yet? If that doesn't do it get on the PHONE with PG - they have GREAT support! and frankly this might have already been resolved.

Actually I/we should have mentioned this when it came up - we are a user forum, provided by PG, and which PG visits but when you have real issues CALL THEM (or email) - I would not have waited this long to contact them

GOOD LUCK

Larry

PowerTracks Pro Audio
P
PeterJ Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
P
Hi Larry,

Thank you again for your input.

I have not yet approached PG Support on this one as I was first hoping to establish whether it is a uMIDI/022 or PowerTracks problem. My gut feeling, unsubstantiated, is that it is uMIDI/022 that is the problem as in experimenting over the last few days with reinstalls and in Sonar I have also now been getting the 'insufficient memory' window.

I have decided to purchase a different USB/MIDI interface, as for the small cost involved I can do without all this hassle to get MIDI working satisfactorily. If,then, MIDI is still problematic, I shall contact Support for assistance. I will also keep you advised either way.

Your advice on this matter is much appreciated.

Regards,

Peter J

PowerTracks Pro Audio
P
PeterJ Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
P
Hi Larry,

New usb/midi adaptor solved the problem. I am down to 16 midi channels in and out now, compared with 32 for the original interface, but new interface works without this extraordinary reference to 'insufficient memory'.

Thank you again for your interest and advice.

Regards,

Peter J

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,578
Posts734,644
Members38,499
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai
38,499 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 193