Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#291987 - 04/17/15 12:27 PM [User Showcase] Walk With Me
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Australia
This song began as a Pat-Pattison-based, lyric exercise that I set for myself.

During the course of creating this work, I read a forum comment from Mike (aka cubanpete) where he said “...always envy the ability to create lyrics”. That got me thinking and it occurred to me that if I could show Mike how I set about putting these lyrics together, it might give him an insight that could be useful for his own works; so I documented some of the main aspects of the process. The document can be found via the below link as a pdf. (This document might also be of interest for those in the forum who have taken Pat Pattison's songwriting course at http://coursera.org .)

• How these lyrics were assembled (pdf)
(link no longer valid)
Quote:
**SPOILER ALERT
It's best to read the pdf AFTER listening to the song at least once. Then, and ONLY then, read it if you don't mind never hearing my lyrics the same ever again. The document will probably disillusion its reader!

"Walk With Me" was created in Band In A Box and additional tracks were added in Realband using multiriff. Reaper was used to add vocals and polish the mix.

Please feel free to comment on any aspect of the song whatsoever.

All the best,
Noel

BAND IN A BOX TRACKS
Base Style: _CRICH2.STY (Electric Guitar Ballad (85 RS))
PianoCustom Synth is Hi-Q 001 01 Piano, Acoustic, Grand SampleTank.tgs

RealTracks 1546: Bass, Electric, CountrySwing Sw 085
MIDI SuperTracks 2240: Piano, Rhythm EZListening Sw 085
RealTracks 530: Guitar, Acoustic, Strumming Hank Sw 085
RealTracks 971: Guitar, Electric, Rhythm CountrySwingGrittyA-B Sw 085
RealTracks 2027: Piano, Acoustic, Soloist CountrySwingJohn Sw 085

RealDrums: NashvilleShuffle^02-a:Sidestick, HiHat , b:Snare, HiHat

LYRICS
© 2015 Noel Adams. Words and music, all rights reserved.

Hold my hand and walk with me
I know a journey just for two
You'll travel footloose and fancy free
Strolling along with me

We'll greet adventure every day
You won't regret it, I guarantee
Dreams 'll come true when you walk with me

If it's stormy
And it pours with rain
I'll be a rainbow and push the gloom away
And if it's dark
Because the sun forgot to shine
I'll be a sunbeam
And I will decorate the sky

We'll travel a trail that never ends
Wherever we wander, just wait and see
Stars will align when you walk with me

[Instrumental]

If it's stormy
And it pours with rain
I'll be a rainbow and push the gloom away
And if it's dark
Because the sun forgot to shine
I'll be a sunbeam
And I will decorate the sky

We'll travel a trail that never ends
Wherever we wander, just wait and see
Stars will align when you walk with me
And the future will smile
Destination, whatever will be
Please walk with me

Edited by Andrew - PG Music (09/26/17 04:57 PM)

#291999 - 04/17/15 01:58 PM [User Showcase] Re: Walk With Me [Re: Noel96]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Loc: Florida
Noel,

I like so many things about this.

Your vocal is so uniquely....Noel! Like a Randy Newman vocal. Or Tom Waits. Identifiable! Cool.

This song "took me back" - as your songs often do. So many of them sound like they were lifted right out of the great musical movies of the past. I could not help but see/hear Gene Kelly performing this (sauntering as he did, of course). Tin Pan Alley all the way.. Cool.

"footloose and fancy free" smile Nice!

(I did not read your lyric pdf. I prefer to let a song speak for itself)

Your chorus is delightful. Thematic and demonstrative! Cool.

Terrific mix! LOVE your harmonies. The piano solo is inspired. Interesting mix of instruments.

A pleasure to listen to.

floyd

#292000 - 04/17/15 02:03 PM [User Showcase] Re: Walk With Me [Re: Noel96]
big741 Offline
Apprentice

Loc: Edmonton,Canada
Hi, Noel.

Nice work, I enjoyed it very much.

Thanks for the music,
Dan

#292003 - 04/17/15 02:10 PM [User Showcase] Re: Walk With Me [Re: Noel96]
RnAM Offline
Veteran

Loc: The Netherlands
Hi Noel,

Very, very cool song! Really good vocals and harmonies.
This could be a song from one of musicals that were popular in the 60's or 70'. It invites you to sing along!

RnAM Homepage (completely restyled)
YouTube Channel

#292021 - 04/17/15 03:17 PM [User Showcase] Re: Walk With Me [Re: Noel96]
tommyad Offline
Veteran

Loc: Florida
Hey there Brother Adams, There is a lot to love about this one. Stellar mix and choice of real tracks. Extremely well sung. I love the harmony near the end. That was inspired. Of course the lyrics are crafted with great expertise. I have not yet read the PDF. I certainly am coming nowhere close to expressing how much I enjoyed and admire this piece. Standing O and Bravo! Tom

#292029 - 04/17/15 03:31 PM [User Showcase] Re: Walk With Me [Re: Noel96]
rsdean Offline
Veteran

Loc: Woodstock, NY
Hey Noel,

You really know how to capture the vibe and feel of the standards from the 50s & 60s. I could hear Danny Kaye singing this immediately. Excellent all around - perfect vocal and arrangement.

The lyrics pdf was a very nice touch - love the insight into your process.

Bob

#292033 - 04/17/15 03:38 PM [User Showcase] Re: Walk With Me [Re: Noel96]
ROG Offline
Veteran

Loc: York, England
Hi Noel,

Great song with a wonderful period feel to it.

Yes, I did read the PDF after listening to the track and found it both fascinating and bewildering. I'm full of admiration for the amount of detail which went into these lyrics - my own method is very much the antithesis of yours.

One thing which I did notice is that the chorus appears to be blank verse, that is, it has no rhyming scheme at all. What struck me as strange is that I didn't notice it whilst listening to the song, only when reading the lyric sheet.

Thanks for providing so much detail - I'm always interested in other people's methods.

ROG.

#292053 - 04/17/15 06:18 PM [User Showcase] Re: Walk With Me [Re: Noel96]
Sundance Offline
Veteran

All around terrific Noel.

Especially love the chord progression and the harmony is fabulous.

Josie

#292070 - 04/17/15 09:49 PM [User Showcase] Re: Walk With Me [Re: Noel96]
JoanneCooper Online   content
Veteran

Loc: South Africa
Hi Noel

Loved this one from the first note. Love the swing feel. I think this one could be used in an upbeat çommercial. The little piano riff in the middle is simply gorgeous.

I had a look at the PDF and I can relate to a it. I have done the coursera course used Pat Pattisons techniques quite a bit. I am not quite as patient as you are.

Thanks for sharing your methods. Very informative

#292076 - 04/18/15 12:31 AM [User Showcase] Re: Walk With Me [Re: Noel96]
VideoTrack Offline
Veteran

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Hey Noel

What a great arrangement. And thanks for the efforts you went to to describe the songwriting process.

Very thorough.

Clever lyrics, great melody, perfect mix. Fabulous piano break.

Thanks for sharing

Trevor

BIAB, RB 2018(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Izotope Prod. Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, KorgX3R, RodeNGT2, AM802mixer, NS40M Studio Monitors, Pioneer Active Mons, AKG K271 Studio H'phones

#292092 - 04/18/15 05:29 AM [User Showcase] Re: Walk With Me [Re: Noel96]
Charlie Fogle Offline
Veteran

Loc: South Carolina
This was quite a trip to 'walk with you' through your lyric writing process in creating such a wonderful song. This has all the right elements present, good lyrics, nice, catchy melody, a great mix, arrangement and production.

Thanks for sharing your techniques and your song with us.

Enjoyed both.

Charlie

Edited by c_fogle (04/18/15 05:51 AM)

#292118 - 04/18/15 09:34 AM [User Showcase] Re: Walk With Me [Re: Noel96]
boehm Offline
Veteran

Loc: Karlsruhe, Germany
Hi Noel,

let me quote Trevor: "Clever lyrics, great melody, perfect mix. Fabulous piano break." and add great vocals and harmony.
The description of your writing process looks like a lot of work is going on.
Enjoyable listen.

Guenter

#292120 - 04/18/15 09:41 AM [User Showcase] Re: Walk With Me [Re: Noel96]
gruverider Offline
Expert

Love the piano solo and you have a wonderful musical lift in arrangement in the back half of the song.

I read the pdf and appreciate your effort in sharing it. I'm glad to hear that you have and are finding your writing voice utilizing the techniques that you have learned.

Keep up the good work and I will be listening to your next song and keeping an eye out for your underlying approach.

#292150 - 04/18/15 01:19 PM [User Showcase] Re: Walk With Me [Re: Noel96]
Greg Johnson Offline
Veteran

Loc: Davis, CA
Wonderful song!! Love the happy, care-free, simple and sweet sentiment. I could see Ringo covering this if he was still doing solo records. Also, would make a great song for a scene in a feelgood movie! My favorite of yours so far!! Love it! Take care. Greg

#292198 - 04/18/15 10:58 PM [User Showcase] Re: Walk With Me [Re: floyd jane]
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Noel,

I like so many things about this.

Your vocal is so uniquely....Noel! Like a Randy Newman vocal. Or Tom Waits. Identifiable! Cool.

This song "took me back" - as your songs often do. So many of them sound like they were lifted right out of the great musical movies of the past. I could not help but see/hear Gene Kelly performing this (sauntering as he did, of course). Tin Pan Alley all the way.. Cool.

"footloose and fancy free" smile Nice!

(I did not read your lyric pdf. I prefer to let a song speak for itself)

Your chorus is delightful. Thematic and demonstrative! Cool.

Terrific mix! LOVE your harmonies. The piano solo is inspired. Interesting mix of instruments.

A pleasure to listen to.

floyd

floyd,

Thank you for listening and for the feedback! It seems that I'm destined to sound like Tin Pan Alley! Oh well, there are worse things in life smile On the upside, it's definitely the period of popular music that appeals to me so I can live with it comfortably enough.

The harmonies came about by accident. Because of the key I was in, and the melody I'd chosen, if I sang a vocal line below the melody, it worked but it didn't do much to enhance the overall sound. The same thing happened if I sang a voice above. When I tried adding both above and below vocals, the sound was too full for what I wanted. At that point, I decided to leave the song without harmony. Then it occurred to me that I hadn't tried a classical counterpoint approach. It's been a decade or so since I last thought about counterpoint. Anyway, I grabbed Melodyne, took the vocal line that I sang below the melody and changed the pitch of the notes so that they followed the principles of First Species Counterpoint. I couldn't believe it when I played it back. It worked.

So what you're hearing in the harmony is actually my vocal part below the melody that's been pitch shifted to give a counterpoint melody against the original melody (if that makes sense). I didn't re-sing the second part because the Melodyne pitch-shifted notes seemed to do the job.

The piano solo (RT 2027) is the result of probably 50 regenerations. Whenever I came across something I liked in a (re)generation of the track, I saved it. This particular RT seems to have many possible variations. I then hunted through the saved files and compiled a track from the bits I liked best.

Thanks again for dropping in. It's always great to see/read you.

All the best,
Noel

#292199 - 04/18/15 11:08 PM [User Showcase] Re: Walk With Me [Re: big741]
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: big741
Hi, Noel.

Nice work, I enjoyed it very much.

Thanks for the music,
Dan

Hey Dan,

It's great that you've become part of our community! Thank you for jumping into my thread and having a listen. I appreciate your comments.

All the best,
Noel

#292200 - 04/18/15 11:35 PM [User Showcase] Re: Walk With Me [Re: Noel96]
RichMac Offline
Expert

Loc: New Zealand
Hi Noel. This is definitely up to your usual standard of excellence.
I like that you have a really good melody in your songs also.
This one makes me think of the Muppets.
I could imagine Kermit singing it.
Will go read about it now.
Great. Cheers.

#292205 - 04/19/15 01:11 AM [User Showcase] Re: Walk With Me [Re: RnAM]
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: R & AM
Hi Noel,

Very, very cool song! Really good vocals and harmonies.
This could be a song from one of musicals that were popular in the 60's or 70'. It invites you to sing along!

Hi Rob and Anne-Marie,

It looks like all the years of listening to musicals, playing songs from Tin Pan Alley and growing up in the 60s influenced me more than I realised! LOL smile

Thanks for taking time and listening. Now if I could only sing counterpoint like Anne-Marie and lead vocals like Rob, I'd have it made! You're both amazing.

All the best,
Noel

#292214 - 04/19/15 06:13 AM [User Showcase] Re: Walk With Me [Re: tommyad]
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: tommyad
Hey there Brother Adams, There is a lot to love about this one. Stellar mix and choice of real tracks. Extremely well sung. I love the harmony near the end. That was inspired. Of course the lyrics are crafted with great expertise. I have not yet read the PDF. I certainly am coming nowhere close to expressing how much I enjoyed and admire this piece. Standing O and Bravo! Tom

Hey Tom!

LOL!!!! Yep it's a great family name there! When I was in primary school, half a century ago, I really hoped that I'd get a teacher one year who never did things alphabetically. Just once would have done. Didn't happen!

Thanks for plunging into the song. All your positive comments made me blush a bit and smile a lot. Appreciate it.

For what it's worth, the approach I used with the harmony is a classical technique called "First Species Counterpoint". I put a link to a Wikipedia article in my reply to floyd (up a couple of posts).

It's a great technique and is not nearly as complicated as it sounds.

Once again, thanks brother Adams smile
Noel

#292301 - 04/20/15 02:29 AM [User Showcase] Re: Walk With Me [Re: rsdean]
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: rsdean
Hey Noel,

You really know how to capture the vibe and feel of the standards from the 50s & 60s. I could hear Danny Kaye singing this immediately. Excellent all around - perfect vocal and arrangement.

The lyrics pdf was a very nice touch - love the insight into your process.

Bob

Hi Bob,

I always smile when I see your name pop up in a thread smile It's good to see you. Thanks for finding time to listen to "Walk With Me".

I've just zipped over to Youtube and had a listen to a couple of Danny Kaye songs. I've always found him very entertaining. It was great revisiting memories.

Thumbelina from 'Hans Christian Andersen' is one that has stayed in my head since I first heard it back in the 60s. Such a great, happy song. My style completely! *LOL* The backup harmony is excellent.

Thanks again for passing by.

All the best,
Noel

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

PG Music News
Tutorials - How to Install Band-in-a-Box® for Mac

Here are some tutorial videos we've created to help you install your Band-in-a-Box® purchase.

Our Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, and PlusPAK are delivered as a download, on DVD, or on a 32GB USB flash drive.

Installing Band-in-a-Box® from DVD: click here to watch.

Installing Band-in-a-Box® from the 32GB flash drive: click here to watch.
Your flash drive shipment also includes a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

The Band-in-a-Box® UltraPAK is available as a download or shipped on a portable hard drive. When you receive the hard drive version, there are a few different installation options:

Option #1 - Run Band-in-a-Box® directly from the USB drive only: click here to watch.

Option #2 - Install Band-in-a-Box® on your computer hard drive, but leave the RealTracks and RealDrums on the USB hard drive: click here to watch.

Option #3 - Install Band-in-a-Box® AND RealTracks on your computer hard drive: click here to watch.

All of these videos are available on our YouTube Channel or Videos support page.

Video - Making A Song in Band-in-a-Box® 2018

Ever wonder how to create a song in Band-in-a-Box®? We start off with the basics in our latest video for Band-in-a-Box® 2018!

Windows users: click here | Mac users: click here

RealTracks Patch Update for Windows Users

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows users can download the latest RealTracks update patch (519) here.

This patch includes some RealTracks audio updates we have made since the release of Band-in-a-Box 2018. 2018 users should be sure to download the latest Band-in-a-Box 2018 update patch (519), as that patch includes the bulk of the fixes for RealTracks released with 2018. This is a larger download than typical because it updates the Vocal Oohs and Aahs RealTracks audio files. There is more information and Audiophile patches available here.

Summary of RealTracks Audio updates:
Improved: There were small issues with the tuning of several Bass styles. This has been fixed for both the original mix and the direct input mix. This affects the following RealTracks:
- Bass, Acoustic, AmericanaSlow16thsByron Ev16 060
- Bass, Acoustic, AmericanaSlow128Byron Sw 040
- Bass, Acoustic, RockabillySwingByron Sw 190
- Bass, Acoustic, BluesyPopByron Ev 100
Improved: Audio glitches have been removed from the ends of phrases in the Vocal Oohs and Aahs RealTracks.

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows Patch Update Available!

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows users can download the latest (free) update patch (519) here.

Summary of changes:
Added: Additional dialog available for detailed information in the StyleMaker (fields for memo, examples, and other parameters). These are set in the StyleMaker (more dialog, a button called "Style Memos etc").
Added: Help Video button Added to the Audio Harmony dialog.
Improved: ABC opening improvements with some accidentals, and leadin bars that occur in middle of song.
Improved: Audio harmonies now used Improved algorithms, and can be easily set using N voices above, M voices below (and have additional functions like duplicate melody, and dup. melody octave below).
Improved: Lyrics will be now read from .mid files that used to be karaoke files (.kar) and got renamed somewhere along the line.
Improved: Support for RealTracks that should be transposed only lower (ie heavy metal guitars) and for future Improved metal guitar comping.
Improved: The Audio Harmony Dialog has been rearranged to be more intuitive when using Band-in-a-Box Intelligent Mode.
Fixed: Audio harmonies might be missing some notes.
Fixed: Audio harmonies would be generated with the wrong notes if selecting a range of audio in the middle of the track.
Fixed: Band-in-a-Box might crash on bootup with error "Read Beyond end of file".
Fixed: Band-in-a-Box should show message if the latest VJT application is not installed when the user tries to render videos.
Fixed: File > Open Special > Open Audio was importing audio instead of opening it in a new song.
Fixed: In the Bar Settings window, "Chordsheet and Notation - Start a New Line" should say "Notation - Start a New Line".
Fixed: It was not possible to record audio using WAS audio drivers if "Output always on" was disabled.
Fixed: Misc. RealTracks updates.
Fixed: Quicklist drums picker sometimes showing too many drums in the list.
Fixed: Redundant flash messages were showing.
Fixed: Removing a custom drums from a track would still display Drums as the name of the loop in the track.
Fixed: Rendering audio while there is a region of bars highlighted in the chord sheet might cause a crash.
Fixed: Saving a MIDI file would fail unless saving as type 1.
Fixed: Some 12-key RealTracks were incorrectly set to allow transposition.
Fixed: The Audio Harmony dialog needed some hints.
Fixed: The Audio Harmony dialog was missing the new Band-in-a-Box Intelligent Mode.
Fixed: The VJT application should print out its version number in log files.

Tutorials - How to Install Your Band-in-a-Box® for Mac Hard Drive

When you have your Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac UltraPAK shipped to you on a portable hard drive, there are a few different options for installation. We go over these 3 options with our latest video series:

Option 1: Run Band-in-a-Box® directly from the USB drive only: click here to view.

Option 2: Install Band-in-a-Box® on your computer hard drive, but leave the RealTracks & RealDrums on the USB hard drive: click here to view.

Option 3: Install Band-in-a-Box® and the RealTracks & RealDrums on your computer hard drive: click here to view.

Check out all our Band-in-a-Box for Mac videos here.

Video - Downloading and Installing RealTracks Sets for Band-in-a-Box® for Mac

Have you purchased your Band-in-a-Box® package, and want to make sure you're downloading and installing the RealTracks Sets correctly?

Well, we've created just the tutorial video you're looking for! Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac® - Downloading and Installing RealTracks Sets.

Video link:
www.pgmusic.com/?vid=QndXu8H_IwM

Thoughts on Band-in-a-Box® 2017 - Mac Power Users Discussion

David Sparks and Katie Floyd discuss a variety of topics in their recent episide of Mac Power Users: https://www.relay.fm/mpu/432 - listen all the way through (and laugh along with them - it was a very entertaining episode!), or jump to 1:37:40 where David shares his thoughts on Band-in-a-Box® 2017 for Mac!

Thank you David and Katie!

Forum Stats
27633 Members
50 Forums
52274 Topics
432774 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
LeftyMark, War Eagle, reaper19, Waaree, Eridanus

27633 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Icelander 180