Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Hear to Learn must be a DJ!! LOL

Asus Q500A i7 Win 10 64 bit 8GB ram 750 HD 15.5" touch screen, BIAB 2017, Casio PX 5s, Xw P1, Center Point Stereo SS V3 and EWI 4000s.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: raymb1
Hear to Learn must be a DJ!! LOL

Ha! Nope. I just love to learn. By learning more about others and how they think, I also find a bit more about how I think smile

This would probably surprise many of you, but I have complained to my wife MANY times when I see certain DJ's on TV "performing" by basically pushing play, waving their hands in the air, and every so often adjusting the volume knob like the are really doing something.

Chad (Hope that makes it easier)

TEMPO TANTRUM: What a lead singer has when they can't stay in time.
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
HTL. I enjoyed that video. Amazing. I would also hands down call that guy a musician. Times they are a-changing

LyricLab A.I assisted chords and lyric app. Export lyrics and import directly into Band-in-a-Box 2024.
https://lyriclab.net
Play-along with songs you know and love, download SGU files
https://playiit.com/
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Actually, the real question is why they are even called DJs when there are apparently no disks involved. I don't think computer hard disks count, unless you are actually jockeying them around, which of course is bad for the disks. smile

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Exactly, John. The term has morphed in a way that is not obvious unless one has been paying close attention. I had my eyes opened while reading publications such as Future Music, in which detailed looks at these "DJs" gear, software, and creative processes made it clear that they were working at a level far above that of a traditional disk jockey.

"My primary musical instrument is the personal computer."
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
If dictionaries cannot agree, than neither can we.

I still differentiate between the two. I prefer Musicians, DJs, Engineers, etc., I guess I'm just more specific in my mind than others.

And I suppose there is no definitive answer.

So I'm putting the horse to rest and agreeing to disagree.

Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Bob, I posted definitions of the two meanings on page 1 and 2 of this discussion. Have you read them? I can't be certain, but it appears that you have not. I agree that the use of the term is unfortunate in the case of the people I am talking about. However, I have been looking at this genre for years, and my conclusion is that people who meet the second meaning are, in fact, musos.

Respectfully,

Richard

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
If dictionaries cannot agree, than neither can we.

I'm feeling as though Ryszard hit the nail on the head.

Pat had also posted the definition of musician and music from several sources.

Where are you getting the dictionaries cannot agree?

I didn't see disagreement from dictionaries. I even took the the time to respond to the definitions with how they applied!

I have to wonder if this is your "go to" answer without really investigating it?

Quote:
I still differentiate between the two. I prefer Musicians, DJs, Engineers, etc., I guess I'm just more specific in my mind than others.

Musician in a more general term than DJ or Engineer.

The equivalent of your statement in a different subject would be like saying...

"I still differentiate between the two. I prefer Americans, Blacks, Whites, etc., I guess I'm just more specific in my mind than others."

The first term is more general musician/American, the others are more specific.

Quote:
And I suppose there is no definitive answer.

I believe there is. We may need a better term for the the present DJ's who are musicians, to differentiate them from the DJ's who are not.

Quote:
So I'm putting the horse to rest and agreeing to disagree.

I somewhat get the feeling the you really didn't read the posts that many have made, or watched the examples...and I may be totally wrong on that.

For me, I'm fine with people disagreeing with my opinions. My respect is earned when I KNOW they have done their homework.

Quote:
Be able to defend your arguments in a rational way. Otherwise, all you have is an opinion.
Marilyn vos Savant

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
90 db, rather than repeatedly posting gifs of the "beating a dead horse", why don't you just allow the people who are continuing with the conversation to do just that?

I like you, and respect you, but feel you are bordering on rude with what you are doing. I also have read enough of your posts to believe this would not be your intent what-so-ever.

I am simply waiting to see if someone ends up finding a term to describe the people who are currently labeled as DJ's but display musicianship not typically associated with the term "DJ."

If they do, I would like to start using it.

If they don't, maybe we coin one!

So far, I've learned "mixologist" but don't know if that is really the term to use.

Off-Topic
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
this has been a great conversation...for me it comes down to something quite simple...

if you are making music you are a musician.

the term "DJ" is an old one that used to mean someone who simply spins discs and maybe entertains by adding banter between/during the plays. but that is an outdated definition.

folks like the one in the original video Josie posted are obviously musicians...they are just creating music in a way that is unfamiliar to more classic musicians hence the confusion and obstinence we sometimes see!

this is not new as someone else pointed out earlier. each time something new comes along there is a group who refuse to acknowledge and even choose to denigrate it. but that is just their loss!

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
"90 db, rather than repeatedly posting gifs of the "beating a dead horse", why don't you just allow the people who are continuing with the conversation to do just that?

I like you, and respect you, but feel you are bordering on rude with what you are doing."

shocked eek shocked

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Ok, not THAT was just flat out funny!

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
OK, my last post on this topic. All the DJs I've seen including my son are spinning discs and doing some mixing. This seems to be the majority of DJs. They are not musicians. Anyone creating music on any instrument is a musician. There has to be some personal input. This doesn't include those who let a computer compose music for them. I use backing tracks to accompany my playing on solo gigs. Backing tracks are just that, background accompaniment. The focus is on my playing.

Last edited by raymb1; 04/18/15 04:41 PM.

Asus Q500A i7 Win 10 64 bit 8GB ram 750 HD 15.5" touch screen, BIAB 2017, Casio PX 5s, Xw P1, Center Point Stereo SS V3 and EWI 4000s.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Ryszard
Josie, I have long said that the term "DJ" has become ambiguous. Many, if not most, associate it with spinning discs of dance music, and a lot of people still do that. No one would argue that this constitutes musicianship.

However, the term has morphed to include people who use programs such as Ableton Live and Propellerhead Reason to generate music on the fly. Frank Zappa borrowed the definition of music as being "organized sound" from a twentieth-century classical composer. I staunchly assert that what *these* DJs produce *is* music, and that they are, by definition, musicians.

I back this up with my signature line, which states that "my primary musical instrument is the personal computer." Of course, I play guitar, bass, and other instruments, but what I produce would not be possible without the use of adjunct programs and the PC itself—used in a musical fashion.

The logical next step in that parade is Mr. Don Gaynor, who cannot play an instrument, yet generates some exceptional tuneage. Does anyone care to argue that he is *not* a musician?

Third post in the discussion.

Last edited by Ryszard; 04/18/15 06:41 PM. Reason: Rehash of first principles.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Josie, I have long said that the term "DJ" has become ambiguous. Many, if not most, associate it with spinning discs of dance music, and a lot of people still do that. No one would argue that this constitutes musicianship.

However, the term has morphed to include people who use programs such as Ableton Live and Propellerhead Reason to generate music on the fly. Frank Zappa borrowed the definition of music as being "organized sound" from a twentieth-century classical composer. I staunchly assert that what *these* DJs produce *is* music, and that they are, by definition, musicians.

I back this up with my signature line, which states that "my primary musical instrument is the personal computer." Of course, I play guitar, bass, and other instruments, but what I produce would not be possible without the use of adjunct programs and the PC itself—used in a musical fashion.

The logical next step in that parade is Mr. Don Gaynor, who cannot play an instrument, yet generates some exceptional tuneage. Does anyone care to argue that he is *not* a musician?

Third post in the discussion.

Hmmm...... Have we reached the point now in this thread where we're not only repeating our positions "ad nauseam", but we're also going to go back and re-post quotes of ourselves from earlier in the thread?

Looks like we have.

Jeez. It's no wonder that 90dB keeps posting gif's of dead horses being beaten.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: HearToLearn
90 db, rather than repeatedly posting gifs of the "beating a dead horse", why don't you just allow the people who are continuing with the conversation to do just that?

HTL, (You really ought to stick a name to that.)

The conversation isn't being continued. It's just being regurgitated endlessly.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
My last word on the subject:

I know some people who don't think country players are musicians. I know others who think jazz musicians only make noise and are not real musicians. I know a lot of people who think those doing rap are not musicians.

It's all in the eye of the beholder!

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
1) The goal of discussion isn't to bring everyone in the room to the same opinion... it is to obtain an awareness that is bigger than personal opinion, one based on the thinking of many minds. There is value in that for anyone who wants it.

2) Good discussion is an art form. In order to obtain it there must be "parliamentary rules" that make it possible for people to express their ideas without being punished.

3) All the rules of discussion revolve around preserving the dignity of everyone in the discussion. If you can accomplish that, you can have conversations on any topic without fighting.

4) Without that agreed upon respect what happens is that people seek to "win" by mocking anyone who disagrees with them. Worst case scenario is when mocking degenerates to personal attacks.

5) In the days of the open forums of discussion the ancients really understood the art of debate. They identified and catalogued most (if not all) of the false arguments and explained why they are false. To this crowd it was generally accepted that the person with the weakest argument would be the first to resort to fallacious reasoning or personal attacks. To them such an approach was automatically interpreted as an implied defeat.

My hat is off To all those who have tried to observe the parliamentary rules of discussion. That speaks well of your open-mindedness and respect for people, as well as your respect for clarity in communication.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Bob, I posted definitions of the two meanings on page 1 and 2 of this discussion. Have you read them? I can't be certain, but it appears that you have not. <...>

Richard

Richard, I read all the definitions, and browsed dictionaries on the Internet as well. It seems that the term musician is open to interpretation.

Take this as a worse case example (one I feel that you won't included in your definition of musician).

A person buys an old, antique player piano. Puts the piano roll in it, winds it up, and presses the play switch. Technically, that person played the musical instrumet. Does that make he/she a musician? What if he/she doesn't know an A from a Bb, what any of the black and white keys represent, or anything else about music?

Or a modern similarity.

A person buys a piano with a disk drive, like a clavinova. This person knows nothing about music, but likes the idea of a piano in the house, so he/she buys disks from Yamaha and puts them in the clavinova so it plays nice piano music. Technically that person is playing a musical instrument.

Is either of the above a musician?

On the other hand Andre Watts can play virtually any piece of music put in front of him on the piano. He is the opposite extreme.

Most of us fall somewhere in between. There is a line between the two that separates musicians from non-musicians So where a person starts/stops being a musician is just a matter of where each of us draws the bar. And the bar seems to be different between you and me.

Since the various definitions of music seem to be open to interpretation, and some actually seem to conflict a bit with each other, I'm afraid we will simply have to respectfully agree to disagree.

I'm not going to convince you that the guy playing pre-recorded loops in Ableton Live is not a musician, and you are not going to convince me he is. And that's OK.

Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,609
Posts735,045
Members38,515
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
TonyInManchester, jslynbrrs01, amdwilsns01, Juan Jose, BroDon
38,515 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 186