Print Thread
Go To
#292058 04/17/15 03:36 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
++ Restrung ++

Restrung is an instrumental created using RealBand to create 14 audio tracks from 14 acidized loops. Four of the loops were selected from the group of 1,000 loops shipped with 2015 products. The four are in the HipHop folder with two named "Old School - shaka_drum" and two "Old School - simpleandsweet". I took one loop from each group and reversed it to create added flavor.

Positive comments and suggested improvements are welcome (thick skin here). My concentration was on improving my mixing skills and use of effects.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Jim Fogle #292067 04/17/15 04:50 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Jim,

It sounds like you had plenty of fun putting this together! After reading the preamble you wrote, I wasn't at all sure what to expect. I'm impressed!!! You're moving into boehm's territory with this one smile

Very enjoyable indeed. I could hear a solo instrument or vocal over the top of this. I reckon it's got potential to be 'amazing'!

All the best,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Jim Fogle #292085 04/18/15 01:47 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Jim,

I like the flow of this one... Really nice mix - everything fits very well.

Bob

Last edited by rsdean; 04/18/15 01:51 AM.
Jim Fogle #292086 04/18/15 01:48 AM
User Showcase
C
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
C
I agree with Noel, it's a pretty intricate piece of work and you're in the pocket with the mix and effects. It's a great beginning for a song. Grab about 20 seconds starting around bar 19 where that guitar kicks in and use it for an intro for a song.

Nice job on what you've accomplished so far.

Also, nice to see the 12 string again.

Charlie

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Jim Fogle #292093 04/18/15 02:36 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Jim,

A very enjoyable listen, I thought. I understand Noel and Charlie's points about adding something, but I liked what it is - as is. It seemed to "capture" me (my attention) as it went...

You said 14 loops, but seem to indicate that only 4 of them came from BIAB loops... am I misinterpreting that? Where did he others come from?

What do you mean when you say that you "reversed" one?

Cool that you are "showing off the loops" - I think you have shown that they could be used very effectively behind a lyric...

Good mix. Nice work.

floyd

Jim Fogle #292096 04/18/15 02:48 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Jim, I wasn't sure what to expect after seeing hip hop in your notes. But it turned out to be a very well mixed and enjoyable listen. i like the way it gradually built. Nice job. Tom

Jim Fogle #292104 04/18/15 03:23 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Jim,

Noel's and the other comments so far have nailed it.

This is a great instrumental, but could be also wonderful with a vocal added.

Really easy to listen to, you've done a top job.

Trevor

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
tommyad #292122 04/18/15 06:52 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Jim,
Originally Posted By: tommyad
I wasn't sure what to expect after seeing hip hop in your notes. But it turned out to be a very well mixed and enjoyable listen. i like the way it gradually built. Nice job.

But like others I'm missing something.

Guenter

Jim Fogle #292131 04/18/15 07:14 AM
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
A nice turn at experimenting! I am envious in the sense that I haven't had the time lately to experiment the way I would like too as you have done here. It's a great way to peer down avenues you might not have otherwise seen.

The mix sounded fine to me.

Jim Fogle #292147 04/18/15 10:05 AM
User Showcase
G
Veteran
Veteran
G
Really fantastic groove!! I would love to hear it turned into a vocal/lyric song. It's inspiring music! Take care. Greg

Jim Fogle #292171 04/18/15 12:53 PM
User Showcase
Apprentice
Apprentice
Well, that wasn't what I expected at all. smile

Nice!

Thanks for the music,
Dan

Jim Fogle #292172 04/18/15 01:11 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Nice build! We enjoyed the listen.
I like what Gruve said about peering
down avenues you haven't seen
before.

J&B

Jim Fogle #292183 04/18/15 03:53 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
All, Thanks for listening. Restrung has been a fun experience. It's interesting to me that some of you hear the potential to add a vocal. I would not have thought so but may explore that idea.

Noel,
Navigate to the loops folder (X:\bb\RealTracks\Loops) in the 2015 edition and look at the names of some of the sub folders. In addition to "Acoustic Guitar" or "Nature Sounds" you'll find sub folders named "Chillout", "DubStep", "HipHop" and "House-Techno-Trance". Not at all what some people might expect to be offered by PG Music. The names might throw you off but that's part of the fun.

Bob (rsdean),
I'm glad you appreciate the flow and the mix. I tried to make it sound like there was more material to work with than there really was.

Charlie,
Thought you might appreciate the acoustic 12 string photo for the song photo. Thought of using the electric guitar in the intro but, once a drummer always a drummer so the drum intro was selected.

floyd,
As Noel and Charlie mentioned there are some ideas worth exploring but I enjoyed what I had and am pleased everyone appreciates it as I do.
Five loops came from the Band-in-a-Box "HipHop" loop sub-folder. All five have the term "Old School" in the name. Two have the term "shaka_drum" in the name and three have the term "sweetandsimple" in the name. So you navigate to the loops folder you'd find the HipHop sub-folder. The name of one of the loops I used is: "Old School - simpleandsweet_100_a drums ev16.wav" so you can see why I wanted to give a general idea of what I used but didn't want to post the name of all five. I pulled "Old School - simpleandsweet_100_a drums ev16.wav" into a daw then reversed the waveform so it would give an effect similar to playing tape in reverse. Since the waveform is a drum pattern the pattern stayed the same but the note attack and decay reversed for a different sound.
The other loops are part of a SonyCreativeSoftware collection called "Restrung". A musician named Bradley Fish performed all the parts. ++ Follow this link ++ and click on the "Samples" button to download the same examples I used.

tommyad,
I like doing the builds on the fade-in and fade-out so each instrument has it's moment to shine. I don't know if it's true or not but I've read that if you highlight an instrument in the beginning, it is easier to hear throughout a song. While all the other instruments sound very clear the electric bass loops were recorded with a good amount of distortion. To minimize the sound of the distorted bass I used low (80Hz) and high (14kHz) shelf filters on the drums until the first bass note. By having the drums fill out and the bass begin, you don't really hear the distortion (I think). It must have worked because no one has mentioned the sound of the bass.

Trevor (VideoTrack),
I appreciate the easy to listen to comment. I enjoyed the feel of this while making it.

Guenter (boehm),
Something missing? I'm almost sure there is but I don't have a clear vision of what it might be. From the comments about adding a vocal perhaps melody. In the future I want to explore using the melody and soloist features in BiaB and RealBand.

gruverider,
Thanks for listening and your commenting. Experimenting is a good way for me to learn. More often than not my exercises are not easy to listen to. Sometimes I get lucky.

Greg Johnson,
The groove is what attracted me. Sometimes sounds just tell you what you need to do.

Dan (Big741),
I'm glad you were pleasantly surprised.

Janice & Bud,
Thanks for listening and commenting.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Jim Fogle #292203 04/18/15 09:22 PM
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Hi Jim. Love what's there as far as it goes.
Think a solo instrument in the second half of the piece would have added to it. Cheers.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,391
Posts732,469
Members38,440
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi, mmpartee
38,439 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195