Page 1 of 2 1 2
#290984 04/08/15 06:06 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Guitarhacker #290986 04/08/15 07:02 AM
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
what do you think?

Holy sheet.....

I've got no dog in this fight and my live band days were a long time ago from 1974 through 1980.
No problems gigging Tuesday-Sunday at clubs with (2) casuals frequently on Sat/Sun.
We were mostly an all original band but about 10% were a few select covers.
(IE Steely Dan, Little River Band, etc.)

To think it's come to this for small gigging bands and club owners in small venues is astonishing.

IMO...bands doing covers in a club scene (who are not getting rich I might add) should be a non-issue and be looked upon as free advertizing for the original writers/bands....nothing more.
Yes...for the record...I'd feel the same if it were my songs being done by other bands.
I'd guess the one's that feel they need to be compensated in some fashion (in this context) also played some covers to get started on their music path also....the irony.

BMI wants to collect a 'licensing fee'!
Ha...if I were club owner on the receiving end of any of this I'd offer them a blunt hand gesture and hold them accountable for putting small venue clubs/hard working bands out of work.

But, that's just me and the music world turns much differently these days...to my dismay.

Carry on....

Last edited by chulaivet1966; 04/08/15 07:02 AM.
Guitarhacker #291001 04/08/15 09:49 AM
Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
Record, CD, or other media sales are nose diving for everyone, so the music mafia, (read big producers and record companies) are fighting back and will use every means possible to scrape every last penny out of a rapidly emptying pot.
Stupid to be penalising small clubs and businesses who inevitably will stop live music and just pay the minimal license fee for a juke box or pre recorded background noise.
Thankfully the UK isn't as badly hit with this nonsense as yet, but no doubt it will come over here eventually.

Guitarhacker #291025 04/08/15 04:02 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Yeah... close to 30 years ago, in a house band gig, the owner of the club came to us and asked for our set lists as far back as we had them.

Seems ASCAP came a knocking. They cataloged the songs on his jukebox and when they saw the band gear on the stage, they wanted our set lists.

He never did tell us what that visit cost him but he was clearly not happy about it so we didn't push him to find out.

www.herbhartley.com

Guitarhacker #291027 04/08/15 04:57 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I played a couple of gigs last month where I had to play only "public domain" songs. I still played whatever song I wanted, just didn't play the copyrighted melodies. BMI and ASCAP must make billions.............Ray

Last edited by raymb1; 04/08/15 05:53 PM.

Asus Q500A i7 Win 10 64 bit 8GB ram 750 HD 15.5" touch screen, BIAB 2017, Casio PX 5s, Xw P1, Center Point Stereo SS V3 and EWI 4000s.
raymb1 #291029 04/08/15 05:10 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Originally Posted By: raymb1
I played a couple of gigs last month where I had to play only "public domain" songs. I still whatever song I wanted, just didn't play the copyrighted melodies. BMI and ASCAP must make billions.............Ray

We should be charging them for promoting their material, no?

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Guitarhacker #291032 04/08/15 05:45 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Guitarhacker #296351 05/23/15 01:33 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Hey Herb,

Just saw another instance of the BMI police in Tampa, Florida.....

Bar Owner Sued Over Music

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
raymb1 #296395 05/24/15 01:18 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I played a couple of gigs last month where I had to play only "public domain" songs. I still played whatever song I wanted, just didn't play the copyrighted melodies. BMI and ASCAP must make billions.............Ray

lyrics are copyrighted too, not just the melodies. I'm curious how you got around that with the NPD cover songs.

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 05/24/15 01:19 AM.

www.herbhartley.com

sslechta #296396 05/24/15 01:39 AM
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
I watched it and saw these two guys don't have blue eyes...

Actually it should be public knowledge by now even in the US that the organizer of a musical event is responsible for licensing. Get informed, public. Not knowing the law doesn't leave you not guilty if there is an infringement.

That should be known especially if you have a venue that has music played for public.

It is not in the responsibility of the musician! I only know of one exception. In the US square dance callers have to buy a license to play their music and the square dancing clubs are off the hook. These ASCAP and BMI licenses are sold with the membership dues of Callerlab and American Callers Association.

Desktop; i7-2600k, 8 GB mem., Win 10 Pro, BIAB 2017; RB 2017 - latest build
Laptop: i5-2410M, 4 GB mem, Win 10 Pro, BIAB 2017; RB 2017 - latest build
Guitarhacker #296399 05/24/15 02:47 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker

lyrics are copyrighted too, not just the melodies. I'm curious how you got around that with the NPD cover songs.

From Ray's wording I am assuming he is playing instrumentals. Chord progressions are not copyrighted so one can play the chord progression of a well known song and play either an original melody or an original melody with original lyrics. However you can not play a copyrighted hook or instrumental.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Guitarhacker #296406 05/24/15 05:16 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran

Hi, guys !

This is no easy question !
I have a lot of copyrighted music
myself,but as I am not making
a living out of it, I can afford to
be very generous about how people
would use my music ! In my opinion, though,
it seems that copyright associations
now and then seem to go over the top
as with the suggestion over here that
even taxis would pay licensing fees for
music played to customers during
transports ! I do not see any other
way than that the copyright holders
and the customers must be able to work out
solutions that are fair to everyone -
and that usually means that everyone has
to give in a bit ! If not there is a risk
that copyrighted music will be performed
at private occasions only and that would
probably hurt both sides - what you can
hope for is that both sides are able to
excert what you would call "common sense" !

Cheers
Dani

dani48 #296422 05/24/15 06:23 AM
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
In Germany they do, taxis pay their dues. Compared to the US we are special. We have to pay to GEZ to legally receive public sector broadcasters. AFAIK they don't pay GEMA yet (GEMA is the German equivalent to BMI and other PROs).

If a musician is hired to play in a public accessible venue, two things happen:
1. The business owner has to notify GEMA about the event.
2. The musician has to provide a playlist to the owner.

If this playlist is all license-free music, then nobody has to pay. If this playlist has one tune included that is registered with GEMA or any of her sister origanizations in another country, then the entire event is to be licensed.

There are too many different fees to list. Here is the fee for bars and restaurants and such playing music from sound carriers.
While the fee itself might be substantial in a total perspective, for most venues it is assessable. The fee depends on the size of the venue in square meters. For a bar providing background music without dancing the annual fee is between 185.80 and 541.30 Euros plus VAT. For a small bar that is 50 Euro-Cents a day for a big one it's about € 1.50.

I suspect that it is similar in the US.

Last edited by GHinCH; 05/24/15 06:24 AM.

dani48 #296424 05/24/15 06:31 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
My understanding is - the copyright holder must aggressively defend his rights or risk losing them. That's why we are seeing so many frivolous law suits.

A famous pizza chain was recently sued for singing the Happy Birthday Song to children. I believe it's still under copyright protection (or was at the time).

I truly think the law has exceeded it's intent. It's easier to satisfy "aggressive defense" by suing a "little guy" than to become mired in the courts with the "big guns" for years.

I once sought a patent, the Patent Attorney said that suing for infringement could ruin me financially. I backed away.

Forrest Mims III, inventor of the LED, spent virtually millions of Loonies aggressively defending it, eventually ruining him.

In the Discovery Phase, agents would come in the middle of the night and conduct "legal search and seizure" of his research documents. He eventually won against Monsanto and Bell Labs but he was a broken man. Read his story in his riveting book: "Siliconnections".

"We don't need no steenking Gastappo!"

Addendumb: Purists may argue that the LED (Light Emitting Diode) was more a discovery than an invention.

Forrest Mims III determined that photons of light jumped across a PN junction of a semiconductor diode as it rectified Alternating Current. He proved his theory and the LED was born (invented/discovered).

His knowledge (suspicion) of the existence of the photon phenomenon puts him more in the inventor side in my mind, although a moot point.

Last edited by Don Gaynor; 05/24/15 07:27 AM.
Don Gaynor #296431 05/24/15 08:23 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Don Gaynor
My understanding is - the copyright holder must aggressively defend his rights or risk losing them. That's why we are seeing so many frivolous law suits.

That's an issue with trademarks ("Kleenex", "Coke", "Xerox", "Google", "Windows"). If the word falls into common usage as a generic term, the owners can't claim it uniquely identifies their product.

Quote:
A famous pizza chain was recently sued for singing the Happy Birthday Song to children. I believe it's still under copyright protection (or was at the time).

I've brought this up before, but the history of "Happy Birthday" is convoluted, and there's a lawsuit wending its way through court right now arguing the song should be in the public domain.

Last edited by dcuny; 05/24/15 06:38 PM. Reason: Grammar fix

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
dcuny #296435 05/24/15 10:35 AM
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: dcuny
...the history of "Happy Birthday" is convoluted, and there's a lawsuit wending its way through court right now arguing the song should be in the public domain.

It will be in the public domain in Europe by end of 2016 regardless of that lawsuit -- seventy years after the passing of the last surviving author.

Guitarhacker #296460 05/24/15 03:11 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Happy
Veteran
Cocoa Cola works hard to protect their trademark. I encountered a gentleman that worked for Cocoa Cola corporate in Atlanta. His full time job was as a secret shopper. He traveled the US to visit establishments that sold Pepsi Cola products. He would order a Coke then document the server's response. The preferred response is similar to this, "I'm sorry but we serve Pepsi products, will that be okay?" Incorrect responses resulted in a polite "you need to train your help better" letter from the corporate lawyer. In a typical workday he visited thirty to forty places that included everything from Mom & Pop stores, to movie houses, resturants, fast food places and bars.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Jim Fogle #296462 05/24/15 04:15 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I didn't mean to imply that Forrest Mims III is a pauper; far from it. I believe he sold many millions of books on many diverse subjects.

An interesting aside about Forrest...he was commissioned to eavesdrop on the late billionaire Howard Hughes who lived in a well-guarded penthouse atop some skyscraper at the request of a tabloid magazine. He refused but explains how he would accomplish the improbable task in his book Siliconnections.

Any ideas as to how it could be done? Hint: It required absolutely no physical contact with Howard or the building. I'll let you chew and digest the problem until later. (Forrest Mims III is rated as among the smartest men of his time. Some sources say top 5).

Don Gaynor #296470 05/24/15 06:41 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Don Gaynor
Any ideas as to how it could be done?

I'm guessing a laser microphone.

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
dcuny #296539 05/25/15 08:32 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
David wins a new Lamborghini immediately upon receipt of 300,000 Loonies Sales Tax.

Forrest Mims III predates current surveillance techniques by decades but suggested training a IR laser beam on a large widow. Any voices within would modulate the laser beam and would be readily demodulated by the listener/receiver. A large glass window provides an excellent "timpanic membrane". The very heart of today's audio "bugging" devices.

Good on ya, David!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,397
Posts732,531
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200