You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#299486 - 06/13/15 04:07 AM [Off-Topic] Why is there not yet a program to analyze the modes, scales used in songs ?
Joe V Offline
Expert

Loc: NYC
Hi all,

In my music study, I've been learning to analyze and hear what key a song is in, modulations to other keys, substitute chords, etc. The rules take some decision making - but for the most part they are applied in structured ways, ways that can be programmed.

Has anyone run across a program that can do this, or is there nothing like it yet ?

P.S. - I would find it extremely helpful, in my study of theory, to have BB songs that list such information under the scores - is there any way to have this type of information displayed, or to look into selected files to extract it oneself ?

#299507 - 06/13/15 09:20 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Why is there not yet a program to analyze the modes, scales used in songs ? [Re: Joe V]
Jim Fogle Offline
Veteran

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC USA
The Audio Chord Wizard detects key signature, tempo, chords and slash chords (bass notes) but it's up to the user to put it all together.
i3 laptop, 64bit Win 7, 8 GB ram, 480GB SSD
Music at: http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home

#299548 - 06/13/15 06:11 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Why is there not yet a program to analyze the modes, scales used in songs ? [Re: Joe V]
raymb1 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Sterling, Va
Originally Posted By: Joe V
Hi all,

In my music study, I've been learning to analyze and hear what key a song is in, modulations to other keys, substitute chords, etc. The rules take some decision making - but for the most part they are applied in structured ways, ways that can be programmed.

Has anyone run across a program that can do this, or is there nothing like it yet ?

P.S. - I would find it extremely helpful, in my study of theory, to have BB songs that list such information under the scores - is there any way to have this type of information displayed, or to look into selected files to extract it oneself ?

Why is there not yet a program to analyze the modes, scales used in songs ?

What you're asking for is what you learn with more study. There are no short cuts or apps to learning music or to be a good musician. Study more and learn more.

#299550 - 06/13/15 06:27 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Why is there not yet a program to analyze the modes, scales used in songs ? [Re: Joe V]
eddie1261 Offline
Veteran

Because if you are a musician you are supposed to be able to recognize that stuff when you hear it. If you don't know a major scale from a minor scale or a pentatonic or a mixolydian, take some theory classes. It will truly help your song writing when you are looking for something that doesn't sound cookie cutter.

Chances are you already PLAY all the different scales. You just don't know the theory behind them to know you are playing them.

Think about chord structure for a minute and how much voicing means. If you play a Dm (with the A on the bottom) with your right hand over a B bass, you are playing a Bm7b5 and you don't know it. An F chord on your right hand over a G in the bass is an F9 because G is the 9th note on the F scale. I am sure you have played that chord. Maybe you didn't know it was an F9. Stuff like that is examples of how different things become second nature by virtue of hearing them and finding them on the keyboard and not knowing what they are. You don't have to know what they are, but it helps you write (not better, but often) faster if you do. If you know the theory, your writing will seem easier when you are looking for chords.

So the non-long winded answer is "Because that's the kind of thing musicians are supposed to know."

#299600 - 06/14/15 05:19 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Why is there not yet a program to analyze the modes, scales used in songs ? [Re: Joe V]
Joe V Offline
Expert

I was thinking more of this as an effective ear training tool - I simply do not have the time given my full-time (non-music) job and personal responsibilities to reach this point the way 'traditional' musicians do, and thought this would be a great ear training tool that works on specific songs....learning these things out of song context is great - what separates the 'men from the boys' is being able to apply and hear them in real songs.

....but all your answers are well-received and valid to me...

#299781 - 06/15/15 11:20 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Why is there not yet a program to analyze the modes, scales used in songs ? [Re: Joe V]
dcuny Offline
Veteran

Loc: Sacramento, California
First of all, there's a basic barrier to use. In order for a program to analyze the progression, you'll need to enter in the chords and melody. That's probably a lot more work than the analysis itself. Sort of like Danny Dunn and the Homework Machine.

Next, there's the problem that there's often more than one analysis possible, and often there may be parallel functions happening. Displaying all these options would be confusing - which are the right ones? Although a program can select a likely analysis, that doesn't mean it's right.

Finally, the analysis doesn't mean anything by itself. You have to understand what those underlying harmonic functions represent. And if you knew that, you'd probably not need the analysis software in the first place. Basically, what Eddie was alluding to.

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?

#299794 - 06/15/15 01:56 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Why is there not yet a program to analyze the modes, scales used in songs ? [Re: Joe V]
GHinCH Offline
Expert

Loc: Schleswig-Holstein, Germany
A fast way is to look for the last note. It usually, but definitely not always, is the root of the key. If your key shown by accidentals is "C" and the last note is "D", then it could be Dorian. This needs to be verified by the chordal structure. A software could be created to do that for you. But I guess that a proficient musician could see that fast enough without software.

For BIAB, write that mode into the filename. Then you can even search for it in the file explorer.

#299813 - 06/15/15 04:41 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Why is there not yet a program to analyze the modes, scales used in songs ? [Re: dcuny]
MarioD Offline
Veteran

Loc: Hamlin NY
Originally Posted By: dcuny
First of all, there's a basic barrier to use. In order for a program to analyze the progression, you'll need to enter in the chords and melody. That's probably a lot more work than the analysis itself. Sort of like Danny Dunn and the Homework Machine.

Next, there's the problem that there's often more than one analysis possible, and often there may be parallel functions happening. Displaying all these options would be confusing - which are the right ones? Although a program can select a likely analysis, that doesn't mean it's right.

Finally, the analysis doesn't mean anything by itself. You have to understand what those underlying harmonic functions represent. And if you knew that, you'd probably not need the analysis software in the first place. Basically, what Eddie was alluding to.

JoeV, read dcuny's note very carefully. It is spot on. Even with the same chord structure there are many ways to get from one chord to another and IMHO learning theory is the only way to determine those paths.

64 bit Win 10 Pro - the latest BiaB and RB - Roland Octa-Capture audio interface - a ton of software and some hardware.

#299853 - 06/16/15 03:52 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Why is there not yet a program to analyze the modes, scales used in songs ? [Re: Joe V]
Joe V Offline
Expert

I agree with all of you - but I still feel - at least for me, this would be a great practice and study tool.

For the record - I bet the very program we use for accompaniment was once considered similarly in terms of complexity and utility.

#299871 - 06/16/15 05:53 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Why is there not yet a program to analyze the modes, scales used in songs ? [Re: Joe V]
pghboemike Offline
Veteran

Modal Chord Progressions

you could try plugging these progressions into biab and generating random melodies to get a feel for how the modes sound

modes in music

Edited by pghboemike (06/16/15 06:01 AM)

PG Music News
National One-Hit Wonder Day!

Today is NATIONAL ONE-HIT WONDER DAY!

Have you ever created a "one-hit wonder" (that you'll admit to)? Post it to this thread - we'd love to hear it!

Complete RealBand 2018 Users Guide - Interactive Online Version Available!

Visit our Online Manuals support page, and you'll find our latest addition - the online manual for the RealBand 2018 for Windows User's Guide!

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/rb2018full/index.htm

Just like the other Online Manuals now available on our Support page, this User's Guide can be easily navigated by chapter, or using the main Table of Contents window!

Band-in-a-Box® Testimonial Video - Endorsing Artist Steve Wallace

Check out the latest Band-in-a-Box® Testimonial Video from endorsing artist Steve Wallace!
www.pgmusic.com/?vid=6QcPF5cQjKw

"With the vast array of RealTracks and styles offered, Band-in-a-Box is a phenomenal program that can help any musician and composer hone their skills."
-Steve Wallace

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac review on www.guitaren.dk!

www.guitaren.dk has recently reviewed Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac, which can be read here.

Summary:

"Our conclusion is that this is a very serious and well done piece of software.The program is fast and flawless and you'll very quick get impressive results just typing the name of the chords. The new functions are exiting and worthy to be includes in this anniversary upgrade.
We were very impressed by the MIDI SuperTracks, which is simply brilliant. It’s a function in Band-in-a-Box that's here to stay.
It's amazing that the programs feel is so fresh and innovative after 30 years. This version is better than ever and should be a in every home studio or pro studio... Congratulations with the anniversary! We love you as the ex-wife we did not know we were missing.
"

Band-in-a-Box®: Part of The Ultimate Desktop Guitar Practice Rig!

Check out the latest Sweetwater article from Mitch Gallagher: "The Ultimate Desktop Guitar Practice Rig" - he's included Band-in-a-Box!

"The king of backing track creation, in my opinion, is Band-in-a-Box (BIAB). It can do everything from country to jazz to metal, with a huge array of instruments and options. There is a great selection of songs and BIAB tracks available for free on the web, so you don’t even have to make your own."
-Mitch Gallagher
www.sweetwater.com

#TBT - The First Audiophile Edition

A blast from the past... the introduction of the Audiophile Edition with Band-in-a-Box 2008.5!

The first Audiophile purchase included the WAV files for all the RealTracks & RealDrums that were available at that time: RealTracks Sets 1-9 and RealDrums Sets 1-20. It shipped pre-installed on a 250GB USB hard drive - take a look...

Wondering what else was introduced with Band-in-a-Box 2008.5? Click here to see the "Band-in-a-Box 2008.5 New Features List."

RealBand 2018 Interactive Online Upgrade Manual Available!

The newest addition to our Online Manuals support page is the RealBand 2018 New Features Guide!

Just like the other Online Manuals now available on our Support page, this Upgrade Manual can be easily navigated by chapter, or using the main Table of Contents window!

Forum Stats
27992 Members
57 Forums
54093 Topics
446225 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
snenamor, yes daddy music, grivers, mononino, alphanumeric onl

27991 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Alyssa - PG Music 499
David Snyder 181