#299932 06/16/15 12:54 PM
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
B
BIABguy Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
B
I just got off the phone with BIAB tech and learned much to my disappointment that BIAB doesn't do voicings.

So I am here asking you folks if there is any work-around for this?

The song is the jazz standard 'Mercy Mercy Mercy'.

Chords in question are:

/(A7) (D/A) /(A7) (D/A) /

The voicing comes out OK for the first A7 but not the second.
Here's what I would like, notes are from top to bottom:
5,3,7--3,1,5--7,5,1--3,1,5

Can anything be done in BIAB to accomplish this?

BIABguy
BIABguy #299939 06/16/15 01:45 PM
Veteran
Veteran
In RealTracks, maybe not, but read on. In MIDI, yes, of course: copy the track to the Melody or Soloist and change to whatever voicings you want. Or change notes in any other track if you remember to freeze the track.

PG Music Support is correct if they said you cannot alter specific voicings in a RealTrack. The nature of RealTracks as prerecorded audio snippets makes the request impossible, with the exception that you can alter the root using the slash root, as you already know.

However - with RealTracks, you could regenerate the song many times and hope that you hit upon the right voicings, then freeze the track. In RealBand, it is possible to regenerate a section of a song, so this process would take a lot less time.

Finally, worst case, in RealBand or another DAW, you could copy the section with the voicings you like to the place where the voicings are not what you wanted.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Matt Finley #299949 06/16/15 02:31 PM
B
BIABguy Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
B
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
In RealTracks, maybe not, but read on. In MIDI, yes, of course: copy the track to the Melody or Soloist and change to whatever voicings you want. Or change notes in any other track if you remember to freeze the track.

...However - with RealTracks, you could regenerate the song many times and hope that you hit upon the right voicings, then freeze the track. In RealBand, it is possible to regenerate a section of a song, so this process would take a lot less time.

Finally, worst case, in RealBand or another DAW, you could copy the section with the voicings you like to the place where the voicings are not what you wanted.

Thanks Matt. They are all good suggestions.
In this case because the quality of audio isn't that important, midi might fit the bill.

I'll just have to figure out exactly how to do it, as I haven't messed with it before in BIAB.

BIABguy
BIABguy #299958 06/16/15 03:06 PM
Veteran
Veteran
I LOVE the MIDI editing in BIAB. So easy. In fact, I use BIAB for data entry of MIDI no matter where the song will wind up: DAW, notation program - whatever.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Matt Finley #299962 06/16/15 03:17 PM
L
Expert
Expert
L
Good to know that midi editing is easy in BIAB. I used to use a program called noteflight. There is a free and paid version. I used it to enter songs note by note from quality songbooks and then used them as midi backings. I just couldn't justify the annual fee $50 US once I started using real tracks. The free version is fine for what your trying to do and then export it - presumably into BIAB or Realband.

Last edited by lambada; 06/16/15 03:19 PM.

Windows 10 Home 20H2 Build 19042.487
BIAB 2021 (Build 818)
Intel(R) Core(TM), i3-4160, CPU @3.60 GHz RAM 16 GB, 64 Bit X64-based processor
Zoom UAC-2 (USB 3 interface-built in midi)
VoiceLive 3 Extreme, Sputnik Valve Condenser Mic
BIABguy #299963 06/16/15 03:27 PM
Veteran
Veteran
Lambada (great name!), let me elaborate. Entering and editing MIDI in BIAB is so easy that I prefer it to the many music notation programs I have used over the decades (I was even a beta tester for a decade for one of them). This is even to the point that I will often take a MIDI file from a notation program and put it into BIAB, edit it, then take it back out! One time, I converted a song to double time using BIAB's edit menu where you can reduce or expand durations. Try THAT in a notation program. Saved the session.

BIABguy #299998 06/16/15 09:51 PM
L
Expert
Expert
L
Could you store patch change information in BIAB easily? Just wondering. ho hum.

BIAB 2021 (Build 818)
lambada #300002 06/17/15 01:13 AM
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: lambada
Could you store patch change information in BIAB easily? Just wondering. ho hum.

You can save song with Patches - File drop-down menu:

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
2015-06-17_21-12-37.jpg (109.19 KB, 131 downloads)

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Matt Finley #300045 06/17/15 10:12 AM
B
BIABguy Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
B
I LOVE the MIDI editing in BIAB. So easy. In fact, I use BIAB for data entry of MIDI no matter where the song will wind up: DAW, notation program - whatever.

We must be using two different versions of BIAB Matt. smile

Yesterday I figured out how to do some basic midi note inputting (Notation editing mode).

Maybe someone can tell me how to delete a bunch of selected notes?

I tried hitting 'delete' but nothing happened.
I had to resort to deleting one note at a time, which of course was very tedious.

I just had a chat session with a PGMusic tech guy and he said you do these things in Piano Roll mode!

Well, if you're me or like most folks who don't play the piano but read music, editing in Piano Roll mode is the most unintuitive way to edit music!

BIABguy
BIABguy #300061 06/17/15 11:36 AM
Veteran
Veteran
BIABGuy -

If you are using the staff roll notation editing feature (which shows notes, versus the piano roll which shows bar lines representing the notes), to delete notes, just hold down the delete key and while still holding it down, click on the notes you want to delete.

Don't think you can highlight a bunch of notes and do it that way (like you can in piano roll), but the method above is pretty quick.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
jford #300073 06/17/15 12:26 PM
B
BIABguy Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
B
Originally Posted By: jford
BIABGuy -

If you are using the staff roll notation editing feature (which shows notes, versus the piano roll which shows bar lines representing the notes), to delete notes, just hold down the delete key and while still holding it down, click on the notes you want to delete.

Thanks John for that. It certainly is helpful!
I even discovered that I can do the same in Editable Notation Mode. smile

I hope in future versions they will allow for selecting multiple notes and deleting them in one shot.

BIABguy
BIABguy #300085 06/17/15 01:13 PM
Veteran
Veteran
Sorry - I guess I just don't write that much I have to delete (grin).

There is the existing menu function Edit, Erase From..To but this only works on entire measures. If you want to be able to erase selected notes, that is a good Wishlist item. I'm heading there to enter it now.

AudioTrack #300108 06/17/15 06:15 PM
L
Expert
Expert
L
patch change info for external devices? shocked laugh

BIAB 2021 (Build 818)
Matt Finley #300211 06/18/15 03:20 PM
B
BIABguy Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
B

If you want to be able to erase selected notes, that is a good Wishlist item. I'm heading there to enter it now.

Thanks Matt!
In my first foray into Notation Editing this was what I tried instinctively, almost right away (Select/Delete).
I hope it won't be too hard to implement.

BIABguy
BIABguy #300567 06/22/15 10:01 AM
Veteran
Veteran
Funny I was about to post about the same thing. And then I got to thinking I should start a new thread and call it something like "The ultimate notation and printing thread". Sounds a little presumptuous though. However I think my point is a good one. There are so many things that the notation and print functions can do but menus are hidden and the whole process is very confusing.

My mind is on this because I spent several hours yesterday creating and editing the notation of a Biab song. Usually I'm under the gun and need a chart that same day for a band and get jammed up. This time I decided to just do it with no pressure and discovered lots of interesting stuff not the least of which is this delete question. Without elaborating right now here's my list of things to talk about:

Notation:

1. Big difference between starting from scratch and editing a melody part that's already there which is what I was doing.

2. Having to be very exact with mouse placement.

3. Making a tie going from one bar to the next. Like a held note on the "and after 4" in bar 4 carrying forward to the first two beats of bar 5 then...

4. Trying to scroll from the end of the window at bar 4 for example to bar 5 if there's a held note there.

5. How copy and paste works in the notation window.

Next is the difference between using the notation function for edits and the piano roll window. First, to answer the question above, the term "piano roll" has nothing to do with playing a keyboard, it's simply a cute descriptor based on how the midi notes look on the screen. It resembles an early 1900's player piano paper roll that was one the earliest type of musical recordings.

It's true for large cut, paste and deletes this is the better place to do it not notation. Also, another thing I didn't "discover" right away is holding down the shift key and clicking on the piano roll icon. That turns it into a dockable window that allows you to drag the edges to make it big enough to work with. If you don't do that it's locked into the space used for the chord grid which is where I was and it's very difficult to do edits in that small space. I think the floating window should be the default and it should automatically open to say two thirds of the screen size, forget about having to hold down the shift key.

The next part of my thinking about a new thread is the related print functions and I think I'll stop here but I've found some interesting things there too.

What do you guys think, should I start a new thread strictly for notation and printing topics only and maybe ask Peter to pin it?

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
jazzmammal #300596 06/22/15 07:47 PM
B
BIABguy Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
B
Originally Posted By: jazzmammal

First, to answer the question above, the term "piano roll" has nothing to do with playing a keyboard, it's simply a cute descriptor based on how the midi notes look on the screen. It resembles an early 1900's player piano paper roll that was one the earliest type of musical recordings

Well not quite.
That graphic you see in 'piano roll' looks a heck of a lot more like a piano than staff paper!
And if you aren't all that familiar with the notes on a piano, then reading notes on that screen can be a real pain!

Quote:
What do you guys think, should I start a new thread strictly for notation and printing topics only and maybe ask Peter to pin it?

I'm OK with either way, probably a new thread would be better.

BIABguy
BIABguy #300611 06/23/15 01:40 AM
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: BIABguy

First, to answer the question above, the term "piano roll" has nothing to do with playing a keyboard, it's simply a cute descriptor based on how the midi notes look on the screen. It resembles an early 1900's player piano paper roll that was one the earliest type of musical recordings

Well not quite.
That graphic you see in 'piano roll' looks a heck of a lot more like a piano than staff paper!
And if you aren't all that familiar with the notes on a piano, then reading notes on that screen can be a real pain!

BiaB, I think you didn't understand Bob's reply
The graphic in Piano Roll is not meant to look like Staff paper, and it's not meant to look like a piano either.

It's meant to look like a Pianola Paper Roll , like bob mentioned "a player piano paper roll that was one the earliest type of musical recordings"

At the left is a vertical piano keyboard, that shows the notes in the piano-roll view

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
2015-06-23_21-37-06.jpg (46.79 KB, 52 downloads)

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
AudioTrack #300660 06/23/15 10:24 AM
B
BIABguy Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
B
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
[quote=BIABguy][quote=jazzmammal]
BiaB, I think you didn't understand Bob's reply
The graphic in Piano Roll is not meant to look like Staff paper, and it's not meant to look like a piano either.

At the left is a vertical piano keyboard, that shows the notes in the piano-roll view

VT I understood what Bob meant perfectly.

Whether the piano roll used by BIAB is meant to look like staff paper or not is not the question.

The FACT is that the piano roll used in BIAB looks a heck of a lot more like a piano than staff paper, intended or not.

And the only way someone is going to be able to edit in that mode is if they know the notes of the piano!

BIABguy
BIABguy #300666 06/23/15 11:50 AM
Veteran
Veteran
BIABguy, yes you're correct. The notation mode uses the staff view while the piano roll uses a keyboard view. If you're more familiar with staff than a piano keyboard you can do what you want in notation it's just that some things are easier in the piano roll but it's not exclusive, the notation will do what you want.

If you can learn what the 12 notes look like on a keyboard, things might be easier because the piano roll is a very nice edit window.

To switch gears a little bit, in this thread I'm trying to keep this subject strictly Biab but actually all this is much easier in Real Band. For example in my detailed example above if I had opened that tune in RB I could have entered just one verse and one bridge then in the Bars window I can re-arrange the whole song if I wanted to. You can also highlight the midi events right in RB's track view and copy and paste all you want, very easy. Can't do that in Biab. But since so many people only use Biab and never seem to even look at RB I decided after all these years to try this strictly in Biab just so I can answer questions about it.

Usually I would answer questions of this type by saying forget Biab, move it to RB but that's not really answering the questions. So, I did it in Biab but it wasn't easy. I could have had this whole thing done in 30 minutes in RB instead of the couple of hours futzing in Biab.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
BIABguy #300667 06/23/15 12:13 PM
Veteran
Veteran
I did get off topic from your original question. Lets talk about Mercy, Mercy. I've done that tune since it was a hit. This is a perfect example of how Biab is not good for creating exact covers of one particular tune. It's an auto-accompaniment program designed to create backing tracks for you to play or sing with. The term "backing tracks" means just that, it does not create exact parts taken from one song. However...

Biab has many cool things but they require some musical knowledge from you. One is Acidized loops. Lots of popular songs have repeating phrases. Those are perfect for loops. Check out the Using Loops video.

Another thing was mentioned above, creating your own midi part and then freezing the track. That's how you would do that piano rhythm in Mercy for example and that specific bass part too. If you can't play the part yourself and you can't read the piano notes that would be difficult but all's not lost. You can probably find a midi file of that tune somewhere on internet and use that. I do that that all the time but in RB not Biab.

In RB you simply open the midi file, you see all the parts right in front of you with all the tracks right there. Mute what you don't need and keep the parts you do. You can then add Real Instruments where they fit.

Another thing. Again, using RB you can really cheat and use an actual audio recording of the song and sample parts of it to create a loop. Say you find a 2 or 4 bar section of a nice rhythmic vamp that is what you're looking for. Cut that 4 bars from the audio track, paste it into it's own separate track and build the song from that. There are many ways to do this.

Of course what we all want is for Biab to be able to read our minds, understand that we want a killer cover of whatever tune it is and produce it perfectly. Alas, there's all kinds of technical issues (not to mention legal issues) involved with that...

Bob

jazzmammal #300670 06/23/15 12:35 PM
B
BIABguy Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
B
I did get off topic from your original question. Lets talk about Mercy, Mercy. I've done that tune since it was a hit. This is a perfect example of how Biab is not good for creating exact covers of one particular tune...

...Another thing. Again, using RB you can really cheat and use an actual audio recording of the song and sample parts of it to create a loop. Say you find a 2 or 4 bar section of a nice rhythmic vamp that is what you're looking for. Cut that 4 bars from the audio track, paste it into it's own separate track and build the song from that. There are many ways to do this.

Bob

Thanks Bob, this post was really helpful!

I have not messed with RB at all yet but the features you mention above sound like I could take advantage of them once I figure out how they work.

BIABguy
BIABguy #300759 06/24/15 10:04 AM
Veteran
Veteran
RB is pretty cool but like anything else there's a learning curve. Think of RB like a regular DAW spliced together with Biab but it's NOT simply another version of Biab, it's a completely separate program with it's own way of doing things. As a DAW RB has much better midi functions plus your song is laid out track by track in a linear style just like tracks on tape.

You've got 48 tracks, you can generate multiple versions of any one part like 4, 5 or even 10 completely different styles of Real Drums, different Real Track guitar parts or any other instrument, mix and match all those any way you want, add loops, add your own recordings of parts, add midi tracks, whatever it takes to complete your project.

Start haunting the RB forum, watch the videos and play with the program.

Bob

jazzmammal #300899 06/25/15 02:45 PM
B
BIABguy Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
B
RB is pretty cool but like anything else there's a learning curve. Think of RB like a regular DAW spliced together with Biab but it's NOT simply another version of Biab, it's a completely separate program with it's own way of doing things.

Start haunting the RB forum, watch the videos and play with the program.

Thanks Bob! When I can find some spare time I will do just that. smile

BIABguy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,582
Posts734,690
Members38,499
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai
38,499 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200