Page 1 of 2 1 2
#300800 06/24/15 05:54 PM
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
T
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
T
Don't Get Around much Anymore, Duke Ellington.

1. No chord first measure. BIAB puts in C no matter where I set the song to start.

2. Second measure has four chords:

a. 1 dotted quarter note chord, after an eighth rest. How?
b. followed by a quarter note chord, How?
c. followed by two eighth note chords. How?

Last edited by Tom Dentist; 06/24/15 05:58 PM.
Veteran
Veteran
The song always starts on bar 1. What you can specify is where the chorus starts, and then everything before that is considered an intro.

If you don't want to hear a sound in the first bar, just enter a chord followed by a dot (e.g. C7.). That tells BIAB to "rest" (or not play anything) at that position.

For the second bar, BIAB only allows four chords to a bar. You can use "pushes" to nudge a chord an 8th (or 16th) note to the left, but that means you can't have a chord on the "and" of a beat and another chord following it on the next beat.

For your 2nd bar, you can do steps a and b, but not c.

Assuming you "rested" the chord in the first bar, that will carry forward into the second bar. So in the slot for beat two, enter your chord with a caret (^) in front of the chord. This pushes the chord an 8th note to the left, effectively on the "and" of beat 1. That takes care of step a.

For step b, just enter a chord in the slot for the third beat. That will be your quarter note chord.

For step c, you can do what you want, but only if the chord in bar three is the same as the "and" of beat four in bar two. Otherwise, you are limited to entering one more chord.

When I come across this, I will usually just enter the chord for beat four, and then play the "and" of four on my keyboard (which can be recorded to the melody or soloist track).

There are also some other workarounds where you can change the number of beats in a bar and play with the timing to get what you want, but then your notation will look pretty weird.

Basically, you are limited to four chords to a bar, with the ability to slide them to the left an 8th (or 16th) note.

The request for allowing 8th note chord resolution has been on the wish list as long as I can remember. I would think that if it were a trivial fix, it would have been done by now, since I suspect it's the number one request for BIAB.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Veteran
Veteran
You might also check out 'Bob Notes Norton's' expanded styles. These might be a good way to deliver better beat resolution ?

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Veteran
Veteran
Bob Norton's expanded styles are great for doing 8th note resolution; however, there are only a handful of them and they are MIDI only. If you are wanting to use RealTracks, they won't work for you, because they essentially double the tempo (with the instrument tracks adjusted to sound half the speed) to achieve one musical bar over two BIAB bars.

John

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

T
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
T
Another ingenious work-around, thanks John. Going to try it out when I get some time.

D
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
D
'Just did that song - this is how it came out "my way"
- (hope the picture works).
...Dave

[img]https://www.dropbox.com/s/tpwya4js74k6opd/Don%27t%20Get.jpg?dl=0[/img]

Edit: how is "Enter an image" suppose to work? - i think you can go to that link though - i thought i might get it to show the pic in the post.
?

Last edited by Dave Schreier; 06/26/15 03:27 PM.
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Dave,

You've used the 'img' command correctly. I notice that you have "?dl=0" at the end of the url. I use Dropbox to post images and mine never have that ending. Is the image in the "Public" folder of Dropbox?

In the meantime... here's what you posted...

If anyone wants to the see the original image's full-screen size (for easier reading), right-click and select view image (or equivalent).

It's an impressive chord sheet, Dave!

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
B
Journeyman
Journeyman
B
Originally Posted By: Noel96
Hi Dave,

It's an impressive chord sheet, Dave!

Regards,
Noel

Yes it looks very impressive indeed.
Just for fun I wanted to try it out, but had problems entering the chords.

What's the secret?

I couldn't enter G7..
C.
^C
^C/E.. and much more.

I typed the above in but nothing showed. frown

BIABguy
Veteran
Veteran
BIABGuy,

Are you using a standard USA keyboard layout?

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
D
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
D
it's in the photos folder - thanks for reposting the pic.

Hi Dave,

You've used the 'img' command correctly. I notice that you have "?dl=0" at the end of the url. I use Dropbox to post images and mine never have that ending. Is the image in the "Public" folder of Dropbox?

Veteran
Veteran
Dave,

I suspect that the img command requires the web address that Dropbox gives to files in the Public folder and sub-folders under the Public folder. It would be worth testing.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
B
Journeyman
Journeyman
B
BIABGuy,

Are you using a standard USA keyboard layout?

Regards,
Noel

Hi Noel, yes I am.
I figured out the problem.
I was typing in the chords as I saw them but wasn't getting the results visually (seeing the exact same thing I was typing).

For example, for G7. I would see a red G7 that's all.
For ^A7.. I would see a red A7 that's all.

Playing back for audio, I could hear it properly though.

So the next logical questions are:

1. Why can't I see what I type (and what was submitted here)?
2. Is there some way I can change what I see on my screen to another view where I see the dots and ^'s etc.?
Because if I came back to this song down the road I would never know how to enter all these secret codes. smile

I'm using BIAB2015

BIABguy
B
Journeyman
Journeyman
B
Originally Posted By: jford

If you don't want to hear a sound in the first bar, just enter a chord followed by a dot (e.g. C7.). That tells BIAB to "rest" (or not play anything) at that position.

I don't believe the following was covered here.

Not only do I not want sound on the first beat of the first bar, but I also don't want to see any chord symbol on the first beat.

So when I print I don't have to use white-out to get rid of the first chord. smile

Possible with BIAB?
Pretty please. smile

BIABguy
Veteran
Veteran
BIABguy,

Go to "Preferences | Display" and make sure that the options labelled #2 below are activated. (These should be checked by default but it sounds as though they may have become unchecked for some reason.)

Quote:
Not only do I not want sound on the first beat of the first bar, but I also don't want to see any chord symbol on the first beat.

As far as I'm aware, BIAB always defaults to a chord on the first beat whether or not it's heard.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Veteran
Veteran
A "no chord" (N.C.) feature has been on the wish list many times. Maybe one day we'll see it. Right now all you can do is have a rest chord, which of course will show up on the printout, and won't mean anything to the person playing it.

John

B
Journeyman
Journeyman
B
BIABguy,

Go to "Preferences | Display" and make sure that the options labelled #2 below are activated. (These should be checked by default but it sounds as though they may have become unchecked for some reason.)

Thanks Noel.

I looked, but the two boxes were already checked! frown

Now I'm confused. Why can't I see the dots and the ^ symbol etc. when I type them out? As I mentioned the effect is there, you just can't see those symbols.

BIABguy
B
Journeyman
Journeyman
B
Originally Posted By: jford
A "no chord" (N.C.) feature has been on the wish list many times. Maybe one day we'll see it. Right now all you can do is have a rest chord, which of course will show up on the printout, and won't mean anything to the person playing it.

OK thanks John. It isn't super important, but something we should be able to turn on/off.

BIABguy
Veteran
Veteran
BIABguy,

Try returning BIAB to factory settings. This is found under "Opt" on the main menu. Select the "Most settings" options as this will keep your midi and audio setup intact. (Over the years, I've found that when BIAB stops doing what it normally does, a factory reset is the best option.)

It will be best to exit and restart BIAB after doing the above.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Veteran
Veteran
Change the font. Some show shots, holds and pushes. Some do not.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
Veteran
Thanks Matt. That's today's lesson for me! I didn't realise this.

Live and learn (as the wise one's say)!

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Veteran
Veteran
I'm not at a BIAB PC to test, but I thought most of the fonts show these adjustments. I discovered this by trying a newer font and was surprised by the clean appearance. It's nice to have a choice.

I think it's on Preferences, Display and if that's not right, will someone please correct it?

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
Veteran
To add to Matt's post, change the font to PG Text and you'll see the dots. However I don't think the dots show up when you print.

Last edited by raymb1; 06/29/15 04:49 AM.

Asus Q500A i7 Win 10 64 bit 8GB ram 750 HD 15.5" touch screen, BIAB 2017, Casio PX 5s, Xw P1, Center Point Stereo SS V3 and EWI 4000s.
Veteran
Veteran
Matt,

You're correct. The Chord Sheet fonts are set under "Prefs | Display".

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
B
Journeyman
Journeyman
B
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
Change the font. Some show shots, holds and pushes. Some do not.

I decided to try Matt's suggestion before Noel's as it wasn't nearly as radical. smile

It worked!

I was using Jazz Font.
I switched to Big Band font and the symbols could then be seen.

Thanks Matt!

BIABguy
Veteran
Veteran
I got one right, without being radical? Cool.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,398
Posts732,548
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199