Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Off-Topic
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman

Question about a cover song that I created with help from a friend with my BIAB...

If anyone can answer a question though I would appreciate it. When I first uploaded this cover there where no third party rights on it, but suddenly today there was by a media publishing group called "Reservoir Media" that claimed the monetization on it. Now, the question that I would like answered is this. since I created my own music for this song with BIAB, can this group monetize my video like that? I did not use a karaoke, I used a version that I and a friend of mine created. I.E. he did the chord structure, and I re-arranged it to my liking. Last week Atlantic Record's just released this song, and I created a cover of it. I recorded it in my studio, mixed it and posted it on YouTube, now is this legal for them to collect the monetization on this video that "I" created? it is my own version of "Adore" from "Jasmine Thompson" I specifically created a rock version because this is the kind of music that I enjoy. She has more of a pop or R&B version of it that was recorded. I created my own version because there where no backgrounds or "Karaoke Versions of it". So, it this legal for them to do or not? grated it is their song, but it is my media that I created with BIAB for my own version. Any answers would be appreciated, thanks in advance!!!!

Music is an expression that is a universal language, Never criticize anybody to harshly. They need time to grow but when they do, they do. Always be kind in what you say and do because the man upstairs is watching.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: trapper456

So, it this legal for them to do or not?

My limited understanding of YouTube and copyright says, Yes, it is legal for them to do this. If your version is recognizable as their song, the composer or publisher could have had your video taken down. Instead, they chose to monetize it.

I could be wrong. I don't record covers.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I'm not familiar with the youtube rules and monitization, However.......a few questions that I believe do apply......

Did you BUY the license for the song or did you simply record it and publish it to the web illegally?

Illegally is a strong word, but it you didn't obtain and pay for the rights to license the song.... that's exactly what it became when you posted it. They can sue you if they wish. "They" being the copyright owners or their legal representatives.

If you did get the license, you need to go back and read the fine print. Did the license give you the exclusive right to monitize it or was that specifically granted to others in the contract? All of your rights are spelled out in the contract.

These are all questions and answers you need to address..... and quickly before a lawyer contacts you with a copyright infringement lawsuit notice to appear in court.

EDIT: none of my videos on youtube have been monitized illegally because I own the copyrights.

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 06/30/15 01:33 AM.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Off-Topic
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
I agree with Herb. Even though you created your own unique version, it is a cover of someone else's song and you must have their permission to use it.

This earlier thread will give you additional insight how to how this process came about on YouTube.

http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=300581#Post300581

Last edited by c_fogle; 06/30/15 01:52 AM.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Maybe you could contact Atlantic Records and ask them. grin

http://www.atlanticrecords.com

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Of course, your best bet is to contact a lawyer who is versed in copyright law.

It is my understanding that the song is copyrighted the moment is is written and the author owns the copyright.

Registering the copyright takes time, the government is not speedy on this (I know from experience) but even though it may not be registered yet, the creator still owns the copyright. Registering it does give the owner more legal clout though.

In any case, the song is the property of the copyright owner, and you are not allowed to use it in any way, shape or form without the consent of the copyright holder. There are some exceptions in the "Fair Use" sections, but that is full of legalese and before claiming that, you need a lawyer.

If the copyright holder wants to grant you free use (be sure it's in writing if he/she does), charge you, deny you or anything else, it is his/her intellectual property and they have all rights reserved.

I'm not a lawyer, and am not giving legal advice here. I own registered copyrights, and have consulted lawyers. This is my interpretation of the advice they gave me, and it is not intended to be legal advice.

In other words, if you disagree with the owner of the copyright, you can either comply or get a lawyer to find out if the owner is justified or not.

Sorry.

Insights and incites by Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
If you're in your own four walls you may cover anything you want for free. As soon as it leaves your own four walls and goes public, the owners of rights are entitled to receive monetary compensation.

I'm not quite sure about all the necessary procedures in the states. Here in Germany it is simple. You record a cover version, i. e. melody and lyrics remain as intended by the author(s) regardless of the key you record it in, GEMA (our equivalent for BMI/ASCAP/SESAC) has a contraction duty and therefore must sell you the license. If you're doing a different arrangement, examples include change of lyrics, repetition or omition of melody parts, you must gain the license from the authors or the respective holder of rights, they may or may not want to charge a fee.

If you have obtained the rights to re-arrange the song, you might notify your PRO (if your associated with one) and receive remuneration if your version is performed in public. Of course, they only can pay royalties if thy learn that your version has been performed. That is why we in Germany have to issue playlists to GEMA after each public perfomance.

Edit: "Notes" was a bit faster submitting his answer... but esentially we don't differ.

Last edited by GHinCH; 06/30/15 03:49 AM.

Desktop; i7-2600k, 8 GB mem., Win 10 Pro, BIAB 2017; RB 2017 - latest build
Laptop: i5-2410M, 4 GB mem, Win 10 Pro, BIAB 2017; RB 2017 - latest build
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran

Question about a cover song that I created with help from a friend with my BIAB...

If anyone can answer a question though I would appreciate it. When I first uploaded this cover there where no third party rights on it, but suddenly today there was by a media publishing group called "Reservoir Media" that claimed the monetization on it. Now, the question that I would like answered is this. since I created my own music for this song with BIAB, can this group monetize my video like that? I did not use a karaoke, I used a version that I and a friend of mine created. I.E. he did the chord structure, and I re-arranged it to my liking. Last week Atlantic Record's just released this song, and I created a cover of it. I recorded it in my studio, mixed it and posted it on YouTube, now is this legal for them to collect the monetization on this video that "I" created? it is my own version of "Adore" from "Jasmine Thompson" I specifically created a rock version because this is the kind of music that I enjoy. She has more of a pop or R&B version of it that was recorded. I created my own version because there where no backgrounds or "Karaoke Versions of it". So, it this legal for them to do or not? grated it is their song, but it is my media that I created with BIAB for my own version. Any answers would be appreciated, thanks in advance!!!!

So, you are trying to "monetize" a song you don't own the rights to, that you "created", and you're complaining about someone else jumping your claim?

Priceless. grin

Original Release Date: June 12, 2015
Release Date: June 12, 2015
Label: Atlantic Records
Copyright: 2015 Atlantic Recording Corporation for the United States and WEA International for the world outside the United States. A Warner Music Group Company

I wouldn't worry. Warner Music is not very litigious. grin

Off-Topic
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
I am not trying to Monetize this song. I just don't want anyone making money off of my re-creation of this work. I don't want any money from it at all. I just do this for the enjoyment of creating and singing.

Music is an expression that is a universal language, Never criticize anybody to harshly. They need time to grow but when they do, they do. Always be kind in what you say and do because the man upstairs is watching.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I am not trying to Monetize this song. I just don't want anyone making money off of my re-creation of this work. I don't want any money from it at all. I just do this for the enjoyment of creating and singing.

How altruistic of you. grin

You cannot "re-create" someone's else's song. You can steal it, or you can obtain the rights to do your version of it.

https://www.harryfox.com/find_out/rate_charts.html

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Trapper, when you post a cover on YT it will either be monetized by the copyright holder or taken down. So you are fortunate that they chose to monetize instead of giving you a strike. You can't just use someone else's song without them getting paid. It's their song no matter how you rearranged it period. Last I read YT was working on a way for cover artists to get a share of monetization as well and I'm not sure if that is in place yet or not.

Bottom line be happy your cover is still up and hope it draws fans which will also watch your other videos. Covers are just a way to promote yourself. You should be thankful instead of upset.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
"How do I license a new arrangement of a copyright-protected song, or a medley?

A new version or arrangement of an existing song that alters the melody or character of the song, or a medley of existing songs, is called a derivative work. You need to obtain permission from the publisher directly to create a derivative work and include that permission when you apply for a mechanical license here. To locate publisher information, visit:

ASCAP
BMI
SESAC
U.S. Copyright Office"

https://www.harryfox.com/find_out/faq.php

Last edited by 90 dB; 06/30/15 05:00 AM. Reason: Persnicketyness
Off-Topic
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
I did the smart thing and pulled the video

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
First of all, I am definitely NOT a lawyer, and don't even play one on TV. Although I do play an armchair lawyer watching old episodes of Perry Mason. smile

My understanding is that once a recording has been released commercially, you can create a cover of that song, as long as it doesn't deviate too far from the original and as long as (in the states) you obtain (meaning purchase) a mechanical license for the song. This allows you to create an MP3, a cassette tape, a record album, or a CD of the song.

A license costs $16 initial charge per song, plus $0.091 per unit created (minimum 25). If you purchase more that 5 songs on the same order (maybe you're doing an album), the initial cost for each song after 5 is $14). So, for a minimum mechanical license for one song, it's going to cost you ($16 + ($0.091 x 25)) = $18.28.

You need to visit The Harry Fox Agency (the clearing house for song licenses), check out Songfile there, and purchase your license for the song. My understanding is that you don't need explicit permission from the publisher of the song (because this is a recording, not notation), and the rules say once the song is released, you are allowed to create your own cover version; but you do have to pay for the mechanical license.

However, YouTube is video. That would then require a synchronization license, which has a different cost structure and if I recall correctly, does require permission from the publisher. All this information is available at Harry Fox.

Harry Fox also has a link for eSynch to mate songs with video, but you have to register to see additional information, so someone else would have to answer the details there.

As has been said, the song owner definitely has the rights to monetize your work, because it's not your work. It's theirs. You merely provided a different arrangement of it, but their copyright carries through.

Here are Songfile FAQs to help answer your questions.

Hope that helped.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I did the smart thing and pulled the video

Why??

It's been explained, if you post a cover, even a heavily rearranged cover of an existing song the owner has the right to ask YT to monetize it. That's what they did so that means you're good. This is what is now allowing people to post covers which to me is a great thing. It's possible some copyright owners don't want you putting up anything concerning their song but it's looking like most are cool with it as long as they get paid.

Put the thing back up.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I totally agree Bob (Jazzmammal) that was silly for him to take down his cover.

Yes, technically everything everyone said is true. Those laws were written before YT when sync meant a TV audience or movie and streaming didn't exist.

Today in the real world of YT, the multitudes most of them kids put up covers without knowing or caring about copyright law, people also upload songs for their weddings, vacations, pet videos or whatever else.

Ads get slapped on or the video gets taken down. Whether anyone likes it or not it's as simple as that.

I think it's a great thing and the best compromise for all concerned in todays world. And apparently the overwhelming majority of the music business does too.

Off-Topic
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Everything that everyone was saying about getting sued kind of spooked me. Thanks for clarifying that, I am re-uploading the video. I asked for advice on this and woooo I got it, all kinds. Sometimes I take things literally. Next time I will try not to go overboard and take my video down. Part of my disabilities are paranoia, and I take meds for it. So thanks you so much for clarifying that Sundance and jazzmammal. I will try not to jump so quickly the next time. I just didn't want to get sued, even the thought of that makes me cringe. I will post another link to it when it is re-uploaded....

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Some opinions are more valuable than others. Here is the opinion of an entertainment attorney:

http://diymusician.cdbaby.com/youtube/on-posting-cover-songs-on-youtube-music-licensing-law-explained/

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Yes, I read that a few years ago and it's helpful and a surprisingly easy read. The advice therein matches up pretty well with what has been stated here previously.

Good find, 90; thanks for posting.

It's not nearly enough, but at least this is a process that allows the composers to get something from their creative efforts.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
90db has posted the answer in that link. Posting a cover to YouTube without proper license is illegal and against their TOS.

Although you could be sued for posting a cover that is highly unlikely unless your cover is very popular.

One of two things will likely happen when you post a cover to YouTube without proper license.

1) it will be monitized and show ads (you will receive none of the ad revenue)

2) it will be removed and you will get a strike against your account (after a few strikes your account is automatically cancelled and all videos on that account are deleted)

As a practical matter what you risk is losing your YouTube account and your uploaded videos.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,390
Posts732,449
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195