Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I just got Nectar 2 production suite on sale for a great price a few days ago.

Since you've been using it a while, I'm hoping that you would now have some tips and advice - any best practices with it you've learned from your experience that you would share with me.

Thank you!

P
Veteran
Veteran
P

Lenovo YOGA 900 Window s 10 Home 64bit 16GB RAM\2018 13” MacBook Air casio wk7500 presonus audiobox i2 usb interface
casio wk-7500
biab & realband 2023 everything pk both with Current builds
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Hi Josie!

I am using Nectar 2 for almost a year but honestly all I have done so far is mostly use its presets. I have experimented a little with the harmony stuff. I purchased the Groove 3 tutorial videos and those are pretty good. Soory...cannot be of more help!

-John

Veteran
Veteran
In an earlier thread Janice and Bud recommended to me to start with the natural and soulful preset and work from there.

I know that the last thing you probably need Josie is another paid for plugin, but I really like this one, does vocals guitar the lot,

https://www.toontrack.com/product/ezmix-2/

I find some great presets on there that you can try and to a certain extent do more or less of the effect.
Its a whole range of effects bundled into one, easy enough to use as well.

there is a demo on that site.

musiclover

Last edited by musiclover; 06/30/15 01:20 AM.

Musiclover

My music https://www.youtube.com/user/donegalprideofall

Windows 10 (64bit) M-Audio Fast Track Pro, Band in a Box 2024, Cubase 13, Cakewalk and far too many VST plugins that I probably don't need or will ever use smile
Veteran
Veteran
Nectar 2 is my go too vocal enhancement - and I need a lot of vocal enhancement. Trick is not to use too much. The pre-sets are very good to start then tweaking can take you the sweet spot.

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Veteran
Veteran
Hi Josie,

I've been using Nectar for some time. I started with version 1. I find the presets terrific and I always start with one that, to my mind, seems to suit the arrangement I'm trying to put together. From there, I may or may not make adjustments.

For my recent song, "I Can See Tomorrow", here's how the settings ended up. First off, I began with the "Clear Country" preset. The asterisk beside the name says that I've modified it.

1) In case you're not aware, it's possible to drag the various Nectar plugins around and to change their order. Below is the order used in "Tomorrow". (I'd imagine this order was set with the "Clear Country" preset as I rarely change the order I'm given.)

2) The EQ ended up as...

3) Here are my Saturation settings (I tend to favour 'Tube' and 'Warm' when I use it)...

4) With the compressor settings, I follow iZotope's advice where they say that peak detection is useful when trying to even out sudden peaks in your music and that RMS detection is useful when trying to increase the overall volume level without changing the character of the sound....

5) DeEsser settings... (2500 Hz seems to be a good fall-back frequency - I'm not sure if the ess sound is male/female dependent - it probably isn't seeing that it's an unvoiced hissing sound)

6) I don't always use delay so I suspect that this came about as a consequence of "Clear Country". I did fiddle with it a bit for "Tomorrow". Here is the final result. I always prefer to synch it to the host tempo. Mostly I use the 1/16th note option.

7) Lastly, below are my Reverb settings. I always do a spot of math and give myself a delay that's time-wise appropriate for the tempo I'm using. This is something I picked up from a seminar with Prof. Stephen Webber (Berklee College) a few years ago.

"Tomorrow" is 95 bpm. This means that there are 95 beats in 60 seconds. Since 1 second contains 1,000 milliseconds then 95 bpm means 95 beats in 60,000 milliseconds.

This gives the number of milliseconds for each 1/4 note beat in 4/4 time as 60,000 divided by 95.

• i.e. 60,000/95 = 631.6 milliseconds = 1/4 note

Using this I can deduce that...

• 1/8th note's time = 631.6/2 = 315.8 ms
  • 1/16th note's time = 315.8/2 = 157.9 ms
  • 1/32 note's time = 157.9/2 = 78.95 ms (I rounded this to 80 ms delay)

... in other words, I simply divide the tempo into 60,000 and then keep halving the result until I end up with numbers between 0 and 200. I then try those values as reverb delay and choose the one I like the sound of best.

The end outcome is a delay to the reverb that is in synch with the timing of the music. This delay helps add clarity to the words within the vocals.

Hope this offers some insight.

Also... Please take the above with the proverbial 'grain of salt'. You've heard my vocals and know that I'm yet to reach expert status smile

All the best,
Noel

P.S. As with all things mixing related, periodically it pays to take a couple of day's break when you think that you have everything working to perfection. I often find that what I thought was great at the time sounds unsatisfactory after my ears have had a chance to reset! (It's amazing how easily the brain adjusts to specific sounds and gets used to them.)

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Veteran
Veteran
...carrying on from above...

The last thing I do when I get settings that seem to be working is to save them as a preset. This means I can always go back if the additional changes I make are not good.

To save the preset in Reaper I...

...click on the "+" sign shown and then select "Save preset..."

The presets are then accessed by clicking on the dropdown arrow I've marked as **. I've often used saved presets of mine as a starting place for a song or remix.

All the best,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Veteran
Veteran
Noel pretty much covered it. I will add that nectar 2's reverb is an EMT 140 Plate emulation that is great for many uses. The original analogue 140 was used for years by many big time groups - often as their principal studio reverb. I use just the reverb and eq module for almost all our tracks - acoustic, electric and drums.

I've never used the harmony generator or the pitch corrector but I always use the breath controller standalone that comes with the package.

For Janice I typically start with the soulful and natural preset and work from there based on the mix. For our rare rock ventures I start with the rock bite preset.

I think it's a great plug in. FWIW

Bud

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hey everybody, Great info. You guys are all so terrific. Noel that was really super of you to do in such detail. And I'm so glad you also mentioned that division, I was trying to remember where I wrote that down last night. It is so much more musical that way to me too.

I have Nectar Elements which I've rarely used and I was really on the fence over getting this because I'm pretty happy with my vocal chain now. (I also have Melodyne Essential when I need it, I like to sing harmonies live more often than not plus I have the TCH or BIAB if I want to use those and since my transition to Reaper I've amassed other plugins I like using.)

So I really yinged and yanged and almost didn't buy this but then I thought given the great deal and reading all the rave reviews N2PS might make it easier and faster to try different sounds. I also love that reverb.

Running the performance meter in Reaper, it does seem to be a bit of a cpu hit when I have two instances - one on the vox track and one on the bgv buss. I'm hoping there'll be no issues in a mix with a lot of instruments effects and other busses all on.

Musiclover - No more new plugins unless they're great and free....can't resist great and free because I've got some favs that way......no buying another one any time soon though no matter how tempting.

Bud - I was hoping you'd chime in. You're one of the main reasons I decided to go with it - love that reverb and figured whether I ended up using everything else or not I'd still get that. I haven't tried the breath module yet.

I'm glad to hear that no one has mentioned any issues with it. So I'm gonna have fun trying out all the flavors in the candy store. LOL! And I'm feeling glad I bought it.

Thank you all.

Veteran
Veteran
Josie,

In relation to processor usage in Reaper...

When you have a track and its FX settled, it's possible to save the track as a new take with all FX included. The FX for that track can then be switched off. This will lighten the CPU load.

To do the above, double-left click where I have #1 on the image below (this will select the entire track, even if it consists of split regions). Now right-click on the track (#2) and select #3 from the menu that pops up.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Expert
Expert
Josie,

I don't have the Production Suite, just the Nectar 2 standard which I upgraded from Elements.

I typically only use the Harmony module w/the Reverb or maybe the Delay. I set the Key and experiment with the Harmony Voices to find what I like.

Sonar is my DAW, and what I've done lately is use a Send from the lead vocal track to a bus where Nectar is instantiated. I Solo the Harmony Voices in Nectar so as not to have Nectar doubling the lead vocal.

I automate the Send so that Nectar is only keyed on those lyrics from the lead vocal that I want harmonized.

With the Nectar controls and the gain and fader knobs on the lead and harmony tracks, I blend the vocals to taste.

The other way I used it was to clone the lead vocal, edit the clips or automate the volume on the cloned track and then use Nectar on that clone, as I described above.

It's a great plugin for quick and decent harmonies.

Veteran
Veteran
I just bought Nectar 2 and I can't find in Help how to make the harmonised part appear on a separate track in Sonar. Has anyone any quick tips on how I can do that?
Thanks!

John

Songs web site
YouTube Channel
BIAB 2019
Cakewalk by BandLab
Studio One 4
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Originally Posted By: Skyline
I just bought Nectar 2 and I can't find in Help how to make the harmonised part appear on a separate track in Sonar. Has anyone any quick tips on how I can do that?
Thanks!

John

I think what I have done is duplicate my main vocal track and then add Nectar 2 harmonies to that track with the main vocals muted in Nectar. I'll fire up my DAW in a few minutes and see if I can be of further assistance...

J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Yep, here is how I do it...

1) duplicate main vocal track

2) add Nectar 2 to that track

3) select the Harmony screen of Nectar 2

4) set up your harmonies however you want them

5) click the box that says "Solo Voices" and it should turn bright blue

Now only the Nectar 2 harmonies will be on this track. If you wanted the harmonies separated further you could do this several times, once for each harmony voice!

Veteran
Veteran
Thanks JJJ.
Just checking my understanding, is step (5) the important part, i.e. that track will then only have the harmony on? Do you have to leave it like that, for song mixdown etc. or can that created harmony be bounced to its own track and then Nectar2 closed?

Thanks,
John

Songs web site
YouTube Channel
BIAB 2019
Cakewalk by BandLab
Studio One 4
Journeyman
Journeyman
I use the presets mainly, the soul type vocals work best for me, maybe with a little tweaking but not much.

Critter
Expert
Expert
Thanks JJJ.
Just checking my understanding, is step (5) the important part, i.e. that track will then only have the harmony on? Do you have to leave it like that, for song mixdown etc. or can that created harmony be bounced to its own track and then Nectar2 closed?

Thanks,
John

I'm not sure about bouncing the harmony, I just leave the Solo Voices ON and export the project.

If you see my earlier post, I used to copy the lead vocal to another track, but then I discovered I could just automate the Send to the Nectar 2 track. Either way works.

Veteran
Veteran
I loaded the Nectar demo version on one of my DAWs to give it a test run. I'm sure the demo is still there.

Frankly, I wasn't very impressed with it. Mainly, I think, because I already had Ozone and really didn't see a huge difference between the two programs from the same company.

I do know people who have both and love them. Personally, I could not see the rational for spending the money on two very similar programs.

Ozone is easily tweeked to fit vocal tracks and I will occasionally use it on a vocal track or buss.

If you are a first time user of the iZotope family line of products, then yes, if it's gotten at a good price, heck, even if you paid full retail, that's a good deal and you will love it.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Thanks JJJ.

Thanks,
John

Yes, #5 is the one that mutes the main vocal and gives you the harmonies. Sorry I don't know anything further about options like bouncing to its own track. smile I guess if you wanted you could render that track and then bring it back in and delete the harmony track with Nectar on it. My preference is to keep things so I can easily change config later on if I want so I'd just leave it with Nectar.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,577
Posts734,588
Members38,497
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai, Tony1234, trustedmedications, MAJORKEY
38,496 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 193