Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Hi fellow musos.

An old style picker problem shows up again? I have only almost 6000 styles in my BIAB folder. Checked that BTW. But rebuilding the style picker gives after the 413 update the old error "style picker index too high" again: at the end of the rebuild procedure BIAB tells me repeatedly to erase the BBW.LSW file. Not there on my system, but BBW_Cat.LSW and BBW-sty.LSW are in my case. BIAB tells me my styles exceed 20100 limit. NOT TRUE !! Erased the LSWs, still the error appears with less than 6000 styles. BTW I do have a couple of LS3 edited files for displaying my own and other parties styles, and in my case BIAB is installed in a L:\-BIAB 2015 folder on an external firewire drive, always worked that way, with BIAB 2014 and Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit. - F

Veteran
Veteran
The problem is the 20,000 limit, which ISN'T for the number of styles you have, but for every style name DISPLAYED in the style picker. If a style name appears twice, it counts twice, even though it's the same style.

So, the ALL category lists all the PGMusic styles and then these get sub-categorized and repeated. So now you've doubled the number of styles in StylePicker.

Then, within StylePicker, the RealTracks styles get listed in their own "all" category, and then sub-categorized out. That's a doubling of these.

Add in the styles you might have from Norton Music or Finetuned or from the web, and all of sudden it's easy to see how your 6000 styles bump the 20,000 limit for the list.

Here's hoping PGMusic raises the limit again.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Thanks, that might be the reason then .... i'll suss it out -F

T
Journeyman
Journeyman
T
This happens at different times for different people for the reasons jford explained depending how many styles and LS3 files you have. I cannot use the DEC 15 Build 412 because it pushed me over the 20,000 limit.

The only way I have found out of the dilemma is to re-load an earlier version of BIAB or delete some of your LS3 files - try renaming them first rather than deleting them.

With PG producing more and more styles they really need to increase this limit.

Tony

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
It must of been the result of us populating more of the 'subcategories' in the stylepicker with the new styles. As an immediate fix, you could grab the smaller BBW.LST from the bb\bb2015_backup folder. Locate the smaller bbw.lst.xxxx file, and rename it to the correct name (i.e. bbw.lst) and put it in the main bb folder. All the styles are still in that one.

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Hello Andrew. Did a fresh BIAB 2015 install. After applying your tip on the BBW.LST file from the backup folder: better, though still twice "other styles found" in the style picker display. Must one manually edit that out of the new BBW.LST file?

BTW after reinstalling the BIAB styles only, as found on the PG harddisk, i still get a too many styles error, and i haven't even included my own collection yet. - F

Expert
Expert
Same error here, but only on one computer, the other is ok. Both installations are more or less identical: The laptop is always a little behind the desktop. If I add files, I'll do that on the desktop and then every once in a while I copy the entire set to the laptop. If there are files to be installed, this will always be done first on the desktop and a couple of days/weeks later, when everything proves to be stable, it will be installed on the laptop also.

Now I have installed 2015 on the laptop and here I have too many styles. Rebuilding the style picker results in the above mentioned error message.

On the desktop and the laptop there are two LSW files:
BBW-Cat.LSW 21.01.2015 09:30 11 KB
BBW-Sty.LSW 21.01.2015 09:30 6341 KB

The difference are date and time.

There was NO success with erasing the LSW files. The number of *.sty files is roughly 7900 files.

Desktop; i7-2600k, 8 GB mem., Win 10 Pro, BIAB 2017; RB 2017 - latest build
Laptop: i5-2410M, 4 GB mem, Win 10 Pro, BIAB 2017; RB 2017 - latest build
Veteran
Veteran
Look to see if you have any .LS3 files (which are user style lists; the .LST file is for PGMusic created styles); those will throw you over the limit.

The limit isn't how many styles you have, but the total of how many times a style appears in a category. If a style shows up in three categories, that counts as three styles from StylePicker's perspective.

I requested that the upper bounds number be increased again (they did it a number of years ago for the same reason). It seems to me that with the limit already around on the order of 20,000, it ought to at least be able to go to 32,000, if not 64,000, or even 128,000.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: jford
Look to see if you have any .LS3 files (which are user style lists; the .LST file is for PGMusic created styles); those will throw you over the limit.

Shouldn't then both of my computers be over the limit? The error occured after updating to BIAB 2015. The installation is very close to identical; from time to time the song and style files are copied from the desktop to the laptop.

I have the same *.LS? files on both computers. After <CTRL><F9> both LSW-files have the same size on both computers but the laptop gives an error.

(After seeing this error, I consulted the forum, read this thread, tried all the advices, but the error remains...) confused

Expert
Expert
Now I have deleted all *.LS3 but the error remains.

I try to install all the files once more.

Expert
Expert
It is still the same error. I have less sty-files on my laptop, the same build (415) on both computers, the BBW.LST-files are identical. However, the laptop does not finish the rebuild of the style picker without said error message. The desktop is fine.

Expert
Expert
Thanks to John Ford who had sent a private message with a hint to try, but that doesn't help. For whatever reason the laptop behaves in a different manner than my desktop computer. I have deleted everthing following the "HipHop" section in BBW.LST and 13308 entries is the figure shown in the top row of the style picker.

I receive the same number with all Jazz styles.
Then I took some courage and selected all Jazz subgroups and still 13308 entries.
Then all inclusive Reggae and still 13308 entries.
Then I added all the Rock groups and received 13308 style entries.
I kept adding more groups and the figure stagnated at 13308.

When I added the "Styles with RealDrums" it must have added another 6693 styles, because then I received the error message again.

I deleted this group except the "A" styles and received "?", yes: 13308 style entries.
Then I added the "B" styles, later the "C" styles (meanwhile 179) and still: 13308 style entries.
Now "D" to "F" (222 entries in that group) and still: 13308 style entries.
Adding "G" to "@-GRUNG^2.STY" (226) and still: 13308 stlye entries.
Adding one more stlye: @-GRUNG^3.STY (227) and still: 13308 stlye entries.
Adding one more stlye: @-GRUNG^4.STY (228) and still: 13308 stlye entries.
Adding one more stlye: @-GRUNG^5.STY (229) and still: 13308 stlye entries -- but I also receive the error message, even though the style has been included.

One more: The error message comes twice that the file can't be written but still writes the file. *) Even the number is updated to 230 styles in that group. All other numbers seem to be chiseled in stone.

I add five more lines to BBW.LST and see what I get. Result the same as above: Several error messages, but the number of Styles with RealDrums is updated to 235. All other numbers remain as they were before.

Now I took the entire BBW.LST as edited by PGMusic. Guess what: "Thousands" of error messages. But after the fourth or fifth time I managed to find the last and the StylePicker opened with all figures updated. Except that there are still 13308 style entries found. The next time trying to pick a style the same procedure started again..."Thousands" of error messages...

There is definitely a bug

Guido

*) Edit: It probably doesn't write the file but shows the updated figures on the screen.

Last edited by GHinCH; 01/23/15 12:11 AM.

Veteran
Veteran
Guido,

After you modify the BBW.LST file, have you run "Rebuild" in Stylepicker so that the modification is picked up?

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Expert
Expert
Always, Noel. That is the reason it took about 3 hours.

I also have notified Andrew so that he could go in more depth with that error.

Last edited by GHinCH; 01/23/15 12:13 AM.

T
Journeyman
Journeyman
T
I haven't done the detailed testing like Guido but have been plagued by a similar problem with Stylepicker for a couple of years. Like Guido I haven't been able to find any logic in how Stylepicker behaves and it is different with different computers.

I cannot use the latest 2015 revisions because of this problem without messing about with LST/LS3 files

Come on PG, how difficult can it be to up the 20,000 limit? One line of code?

Tony

Journeyman
Journeyman
Open the bbw.lst file with notepad or similar plain ansi text program and delete the "~all" (no quotes in the file) section. Delete everything all the way down the ~Blues section. Delete BBW_CAT.lsw and BBW_STY.lsw files and then restart BIAB and use the style picker. It should work fine now. Since The style picker puts styles in different categories more than once it counts them more than once. You could have 5000 styles but if they are listed 5 times that is 25000 and exceeds the limits. Deleting the all category eliminates this problem usually. The styles are still there just in their sub category and not in a all encompassing list.

My wife asked if I had seen the dog bowl. I told her I didn't even know he could.
Expert
Expert
Yes that kind of manipulation does part of the trick.

But, as I have stated in this and in another thread about the same topic, the software behaves differently on different computers. And on both of my computers it doesn't reach the 20000 threshold.

I still would gladly run a test version that prints the path through the software while updating the styles list -- on both of my computers to see the differences.

The caveat is, PGMusic must not change anything else in the software, they only need to put in their print commands and write that to an external file. According to a little two-liner by Gerald M. Weinberg:

Quote:
"If you need to have something new,
take one, not two."

I trust PGMusic enough that I would let them do it themselves, via TeamViewer for example.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,587
Posts734,742
Members38,500
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Krystal Mcclain, Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex
38,500 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 191