Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Things you might not have known about your Cell Phone

(I was flamed for posting this last year because some tips were not available on some carriers. Just keep your receipts for a prompt, courteous refund of your entire purchase price)

For all the folks with cell phones. (This should be printed and kept in your car, purse, and wallet. Good information to have with you.)

FIRST (Emergency)

The Emergency Number worldwide for Mobile is 112. If you find yourself out of the coverage area of your mobile network and there is an Emergency, dial 112 and the mobile will search any existing network to establish the emergency number for you, and interestingly, this number 112 can be dialed even if the keypad is locked. Try it out.

SECOND (Hidden Battery Power)

Imagine your cell battery is very low. To activate, press the keys *3370#. Your cell phone will restart with this reserve and the instrument will show a 50% increase in battery. This reserve will get charged when you charge your cell phone next time.

THIRD (How to disable a STOLEN mobile phone?)

To check your Mobile phone's serial number, key in the following Digits on your phone:
*#06# . A 15-digit code will appear on the screen. This number is unique to your handset. Write it down and keep it somewhere safe.

If your phone is stolen, you can phone your service provider and give them this code. They will then be able to block your handset so even if the thief changes the SIM card, your phone will be totally useless. You probably won't get your phone back, but at least you know that whoever stole it can't use/sell it either. If everybody does this, there would be no point in people stealing mobile phones.

And Finally....

FOURTH (Free Directory Service for Cells)

Cell phone companies are charging us $1.00 to $1.75 or more for 411 information calls when they don't have to. Most of us do not carry a telephone directory in our vehicle, which makes this situation even more of a problem. When you need to use the 411 information option, simply dial:
(800) FREE411 or (800) 373-3411
without incurring any charge at all. Program this into your cell phone now.

This is sponsored by McDonalds.

This is the kind of information people don't mind receiving, so pass it on to your family and friends.

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
These are great tips for those who are not aware of them.

some Trivia:
Do you know some of the reasons for 112 being an emergency number? This has been the fire workers number first and then general emergency in Germany for more than a hundred percent of my lifetime

If you don't remember telephones with a rotary dial, the numbers were in counter-clockwise order with number 1 a little to the right over the top and the rotary turned clockwise to select and counter-clockwise to dial the number.

Dialing a number was done by interrupting the flow of current. Once for 1, twice for 2, thrice for 3 ... and ten times for 0.

Now here comes the catch. Often after work hour telephone bills started to rise. Cleaning staff, not only them but they are the ones at work after office hours, used the office telephones to call long distance. So companies started to insert a little lock in one of the holes of the rotary dial. If that lock was in the second hole one still could dial any phone number consisting of ones and twos. 112 fits in there.

And here's the real trick. You still could dial any number worldwide even if that lock was in place. You just needed to establish the right rhythm of dialing all the numbers just pressing the hook. Zeros were challenging. Counting to eight, nine or ten was difficult.

Some people like those old rotary dials a lot, for instance:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MN00LxT-F-0

Last edited by GHinCH; 07/05/15 11:49 AM.

Desktop; i7-2600k, 8 GB mem., Win 10 Pro, BIAB 2017; RB 2017 - latest build
Laptop: i5-2410M, 4 GB mem, Win 10 Pro, BIAB 2017; RB 2017 - latest build
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
The first tip dials 911 in the U.S. but won't work for Verizon's service.

The second tip is a hoax. Well-meaning, but a hoax.

I stopped reading the rest, but the degree of accuracy (or lack of it) for these items is thoroughly covered in snopes.com

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
J
J
Hey, I dialed 112 thinking it was just assistance to find the emergency number in my area ((911), I hung up the phone right away.

I got a CALL BACK from emergency services thinking I was in trouble. So, DON'T dial this in the US your are activating the "911" system.

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
That is exactly what it says: "The Emergency Number worldwide for Mobile is 112."

While it is not yet available worldwide, more and more countries join the system.
112 usually will connect you to your emergency system. For international travelers this is important that an emergency number is not a local thing. As far as I know, if you dial 911 in Germany you will be routed to the German emergency system.

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
The first tip dials 911 in the U.S. but won't work for Verizon's service.

The second tip is a hoax. Well-meaning, but a hoax.

I stopped reading the rest, but the degree of accuracy (or lack of it) for these items is thoroughly covered in snopes.com

Matt, you know me well enough to know that I would not intentionally perpetuate a hoax. It was offered in good faith and intended to help folks that I care about. I don't even own a cell phone.

If this information is potentially harmful, please advise so I can retract it from others I shared with.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Don, this "battery reserve" section is actually cut and pasted from the Snopes site. Harmful is pushing it. Of no value is closer. No harm though.

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Don. No harm done, of course, and I do know from your long history that you wouldn't intentionally post something harmful. I've seen these tips a few other times over the years.

I suppose the only potential for harm on #2 would be someone who was in a life-or-death situation and expected that an otherwise dead cell phone would work with this trick. Not the time to find out this is nonsense.

Cheers.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I suppose the only potential for harm on #2 would be someone who was in a life-or-death situation and expected that an otherwise dead cell phone would work with this trick.

Well, if their phone is dead, they can't boot it to enter the character string, so....

Last edited by eddie1261; 07/06/15 12:07 PM.

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
There's certainly a lot of disinformation around.

"Believe half of what you see son and none of what you hear".....

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: eddie1261
I suppose the only potential for harm on #2 would be someone who was in a life-or-death situation and expected that an otherwise dead cell phone would work with this trick.

Well, if their phone is dead, they can't boot it to enter the character string, so....

Good one. What I meant by saying "otherwise" dead, was a phone that will turn on but doesn't have enough juice to transmit.

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
I suppose the only potential for harm on #2 would be someone who was in a life-or-death situation and expected that an otherwise dead cell phone would work with this trick. Not the time to find out this is nonsense.

... and out of the chaos a voice talked to me: "Smile and be happy, it could be worse." I smiled and I was happy and it was worse.

Last edited by GHinCH; 07/07/15 07:31 AM.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
"Never challenge worse." Bill Cosby

"My primary musical instrument is the personal computer."
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,398
Posts732,549
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199