Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi,

This question has to do with extracting a midi bass track from BB.
First I forced the track to midi so I know it is midi.

I imported the midi file to Sonar Platinum and placed it in a midi track. I used a vst called SI Bass guitar to play it out. SI bass comes standard with Sonar.

Some of the notes in the midi file are below the range the vst can play out. What is up with that? This is more a Sonar question than BB but Matt said he uses Sonar Platinum also so perhaps he can put me on track.

I inserted a midi plunin and transposed the notes up plus 12 and of course it will play out.

I think the term for me is "Mididiot" because I have more issues with midi than anything else.

Another question, are the midi files in BB general midi or midi 2 or something else.

Help...drowning on dry land....lol

Billy

New location, new environment, new music coming soon

Seize the moo-ment
If you feel like you’ve herd all these cow puns before, you probably have deja-moo
Veteran
Veteran
Anytime you change softsynths, you run the risk of note ranges not matching up. Sometimes, some softsynths play a completely different octave than what another softsynth plays. So what you did is correct; just transpose the part into what the softsynth expects, and that should put it into the range.

Additionally, some softsynths will have an extended range for certain instruments, that may or may not be the actual range of the associated acoustic instrument. So, low notes (or high notes) may get cut off on one softsynth, but play fine on another softsynth. They do not all obey the same rules.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks John,

I sort of assumed as much but lacking skills in midi I never know if the problem is with me or just the way the vst works.

I also put the midi track in Dimension Pro with the same results.

I assume most of these bass midi files are created on a keyboard which may play notes below the normal range of a bass guitar.

I will also put this midi bass line in RB and I am sure it will play out as written. I have no idea what polysynth RB uses and if it is general midi or midi 2 or something else or also if one has any control of the bass patch it uses.

Thanks,

Billy

Seize the moo-ment
If you feel like you’ve herd all these cow puns before, you probably have deja-moo
Veteran
Veteran
Bass and guitar are written an octave higher than they sound. For example a true concert middle C, on a piano it is on the first ledger line below the treble staff C, is on the third space of the treble staff for a guitarist, i.e. written an octave higher than it sounds.

So if your MIDI bass line is for it's actual notes (concert middle C) and your sound source is expecting an octave higher bass line (written) you may loose the lower notes. Sometimes it is visa-versa. Every sound source and MIDI base line is either one way of the other and it's up to you to match them. But all you have to do is to transpose the bass line either up or down an octave so it matches your sound source.

For the in-depth Midiots I know there is some controversy over what is middle C. I am using the most common C5 MIDI note 60, read here:

http://www.electronics.dit.ie/staff/tscarff/Music_technology/midi/midi_note_numbers_for_octaves.htm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C_%28musical_note%29

I hope this helps and is not too confusing.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks Mario,

No...not really confusing,...well...

I generally think in this way...I guess it is correct.

Middle C is C4=261.6Hz

Standard tuning fork A is A4=440Hz

Piano range is A0=27.50Hz to C8=4186Hz

Guitar strings are E2=82.41Hz, A2=110Hz, D3=146.8Hz, G3=196Hz, B3=246.9Hz, E4=329.6Hz

Bass strings are (5th string) B0=30.87Hz, (4th string) E1=41.20Hz, A1=55Hz, D2=73.42Hz, G2=98Hz

I don't have a bass guitar at the moment, other wise I would have just played the bass part myself.

I sometimes just play the bass line on my six string guitar and convert it to midi and change the notes in Melodyne of other software which kind of defeats to purpose of BB use.

Thanks,

Billy

I went to the link you posted so I see why midi would call middle C something it is really not...The MIDI specification only defines note number 60 as "Middle C", and all other notes are relative. The absolute octave number designations shown here are based on Middle C = C5, which is an arbitrary assignment.

Last edited by Planobilly; 07/21/15 07:06 AM.

Seize the moo-ment
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Billy. As you see, there are many folks with great knowledge, so you don't need me specifically. In fact, I haven't encountered the problems you are seeing, because I don't use softsynths; I use a hardware MIDI synth (a Roland integra-7) which plays anything you throw at it.

A plugin in SONAR should not be needed; for each MIDI track, there is the ability to adjust pitches and you just use plus or minus 12 as appropriate.

As for BIAB, I thought there is a setting to prevent notes below a certain range. I'll look for that.

EDIT:
Preferences, Arrange, Lowest Bass Note

Last edited by Matt Finley; 07/21/15 11:30 AM.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hello Matt,

Thanks, I assumed most anyone could address this issue. Just was pinging you because I know you run Sonar.

I will check out the edit preferences.

Also I have a Technics SX-PR603 which I love but have no midi mapping to Sonar. One day when I get out of kindergarten I will learn how to make the map.

As I have a United States Coast Guard Masters license you would think I could make a map...lol...ok ok no more stupid jokes, at least for today.

Cheers,

Billy aka Blind Lemon Simmons

Seize the moo-ment
Apprentice
Apprentice
I concur with what others here have posted. It's not a Sonar issue. I use Studio One for my DAW and there are times the midi output from BIAB is not in the "correct" octave. I just do a select all and drag the whole thing up an octave, or transpose the whole track +12.

Rich

Windows 10, 64 bit | BIAB 2019 PlusPak | Studio One 2 Artist
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks Rich,

I have never had much reason to try to understand MIDI in the past. Get on stage, plug in my amp, and play.

So I am like a little kid lost in the shopping mall crying for his mom...lol

Now, setting here playing with all this software and on the internet I am finding a real need to learn new and what seems
like pretty arcane stuff at times.

How fortunate we all are to have a place like this forum with so many kind people who take the time to answer what is most likely the same questions over and over again.

Thanks again,

Billy

Seize the moo-ment
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: MarioD
Bass and guitar are written an octave higher than they sound. For example a true concert middle C, on a piano it is on the first ledger line below the treble staff C, is on the third space of the treble staff for a guitarist, i.e. written an octave higher than it sounds.

So if your MIDI bass line is for it's actual notes (concert middle C) and your sound source is expecting an octave higher bass line (written) you may loose the lower notes. Sometimes it is visa-versa. Every sound source and MIDI base line is either one way of the other and it's up to you to match them. But all you have to do is to transpose the bass line either up or down an octave so it matches your sound source.

For the in-depth Midiots I know there is some controversy over what is middle C. I am using the most common C5 MIDI note 60, read here:

http://www.electronics.dit.ie/staff/tscarff/Music_technology/midi/midi_note_numbers_for_octaves.htm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C_%28musical_note%29

I hope this helps and is not too confusing.

Thanks Mario.

Here, I thought it was just Biab's way of utilizing the Bass parts.
Yamaha has a Mega Midi software that coverts GM Bass to THEIR Mega Midi (Like our RealTacks) sounds. I had to also transpose the Bass part before sending it through that.

Trax

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Planobilly
Thanks Rich,

I have never had much reason to try to understand MIDI in the past. Get on stage, plug in my amp, and play.

So I am like a little kid lost in the shopping mall crying for his mom...lol

Now, setting here playing with all this software and on the internet I am finding a real need to learn new and what seems
like pretty arcane stuff at times.

How fortunate we all are to have a place like this forum with so many kind people who take the time to answer what is most likely the same questions over and over again.

Thanks again,

Billy

We are very fortunate for this forum!

What you will run in is the fact that some companies will use C4, MIDI note number 60 as middle C while other will use C5 as MIDI note number 60 as middle C.

PS - don't cry! Just ask for help here! That works for me! And I need tons of help! Don't believe me-------just ask my wife!

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Veteran
Veteran
Glad to help Trax!

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Planobilly
Now, setting here playing with all this software and on the internet I am finding a real need to learn new and what seems like pretty arcane stuff at times.

This stuff WILL drive you crazy Cap. One thing to keep in mind is there are thousands of folks who have 4 year degrees in audio production and that includes midi. You're not going to pick it up lurking on a few forums, you really have to dig deep just like you've done getting your license. I know all about that, I work with a bunch of merchant sailors including deep sea Masters and Mates who belong to AMO. It takes years of education and experience to get a license like that and it's no different with this stuff.

Midi and digital audio has a language all to itself just like your field does. It comes from recording studios. And since midi started to become popular about 25 years ago it is an integral part of any studio. There are literally thousands or maybe even millions of YT vids that go into this plus other forums. A lot of it will be over your head because it's assumed you already know most of the terminology. You just have to dive in and start picking it up but it won't happen overnight just like I couldn't get a Masters license in a month either.

Now, I'm not saying you can't have some fun using these programs by simply entering the chords and picking styles but as soon as you start asking technical questions like these, you need some of that background.

Just keep asking questions here but also start finding some online courses and start studying.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks Bob,

Necessity is the mother of invention as they say. The more the demand I have to use MIDI the faster I will learn it.

Computers are pretty simple machines in their basic concept.

Converting musical interface into digital interface into zero and one takes a bit of messing about and actually the computer is not even smart enough to understand zeros and ones, only positive and negative voltage and magnetic fields and such.

There is nothing really super hard about MIDI. I just never had much need for it in the past.

There are a lot of good videos to explain things on lots of subjects and a lot more that drive me crazy. We are now "four min. into the video and the person has not said one useful thing relating to the subject matter....lol

It is really helpful to have a place to go to like this forum with so many people who know how this stuff works.

Give me a few weeks, answer a few questions, and I will have this midi stuff under control to the extent I need to use it.

Thanks for all the help

Cheers,

Billy

Seize the moo-ment
Veteran
Veteran
While necessity may be the "mother of invention", the father remains a complete mystery.

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
lol...I'm not going there...lol

Billy

Seize the moo-ment
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,629
Posts735,234
Members38,522
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
SYOTR, Steve Smith, Bpnsrinu, DanyLevy, Arnav Singh
38,522 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 185