Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
#304228 07/26/15 05:57 PM
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
T
OP Offline
T
OK guys, forgive me I am only a drummer, so,.....
Anyway, just got BIAB Megapak. I want to make more drumless music for me to play with, and learn more about music to be more musician, and not "just a drummer."
Here is my question, I have entered chord changes from songs into BIAB and gotten some really cool results, but not what I was looking for. I understand styles affect the song results, but the songs, while they sound cool, sound nothing like the songs they are supposed to sound like! LOL! I would like to know how do I enter specific note values, so I can say a rest, followed by 2 1/8th notes played as a triplet, etc.
Really look forward to learning a lot with this program, and sorry for such silly questions to start with.
Thanks in advance,
Tom

RIT Rocks, Cancer Sucks!
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Tom

Firstly, Welcome to the forum!

When you mention 'specific note values', do you perhaps mean creating your own MIDI drums, or using the Chords for input but creating a rest on certain beats etc?

You can create a Rest for any beat in a Chord by following the Chord with a period character (1 dot)

From the help:
C. indicates a C chord that is a Rest.

C.. indicates a C chord that is a Shot.

C... indicates a C chord that is a Held Chord.

Nominate instruments that are supposed to play during a rest, shot, hold etc like this:

C.bd will put a Rest on all instruments except for Bass and Drums

Check out the help under "Rests, Shots, and Holds"

You can also Rest only certain instruments

BTW: No questions are considered silly on this forum!

Hope this is at least a starter

All the best

Trev

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Expert
Expert
Hi Tom welcome.

BIAB will definitely be a great investment for your time. It has lots of uses.

But I wondered, if you learnt a little keyboard - some simple stuff, it will orientate you in the world of harmony, which you need to understand, in order to progress. I am just guessing of course..

I started on trumpet, but it was only when I got to play the piano that it all fell into place - its about the visual map of the keyboard, its versatile capabilities.

Z

Win 11 64, Asus Rog Strix z390 mobo, 64 gig RAM, 8700k
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Tom,

Welcome to the forum. I am new here also. I am not sure just what you are looking for in a song you are trying to create with Band In A Box. Also I also do not have much experience with this software.

I sort of got the idea you may be trying to create a cover tune or some original that you have a very clear idea in you head what you want to hear.

While a ton of stuff is possible, just putting a chord structure in place and picking a style will not create a cover tune. For example, the intro to "Riders On The Storm" by the Doors has a descending organ line that does not exist in BIAB.

To get something like that there are a few ways someone who does not play organ can do it, none of which are simple.
You can write it out note for note in a notation software and have a midi synth play it out. That gets complex real quick even for someone with a lot of technical understanding of both music theory and notation software.

I really understand why a drummer would want to learn more about what other players are doing.

I am not a drummer so I have a huge desire to know more about drum lines and what the drummer is doing and thinking.

There are many demos in BIAB and when you load them you can see how someone put things together and what that sounds like.

I may be best to start with something simple and see how to put that together.

Best of luck with all this and feel free to ask questions.

Cheers,

Billy

Last edited by Planobilly; 07/27/15 02:24 AM.

New location, new environment, new music coming soon

Seize the moo-ment
If you feel like you’ve herd all these cow puns before, you probably have deja-moo
Journeyman
Journeyman

Win 10, 64 bit, love my Lenovo T420, BIAB 2019 (613), RB 2019 (2)

Short term memory is getting shorter.
DEddy #304265 07/27/15 05:37 AM
T
OP Offline
T
Thanks all! Lots of help! I am headed off to work now, and have onc appointments later this week, and next and,.... LOL! Will go over this when I have a little more time. I appreciate all the help greatly.
So far as the keyboard goes, I had some piano in 9th grade, and picturing a keyboard in my head is the ONLY way I can remember the scales! LOL! Yeah, I try remembering "whole step, whole step, half step, whole step, etc" but it is really the keyboard that allows me to remember!
I don't want to be one of those drummers who does everything he knows in every song, or is playing super hard during guitar solos, etc, you know where the guitar player is looking at you like "You know, it is your turn shortly, what are you going to be able to do you have not done already!" I want to serve the music, and properly participate in the "conversations" or the other instruments to I am adding to the music, not taking from it.
I truly appreciate all the help here, and really look forward to growing!
God Bless
Tom

RIT Rocks, Cancer Sucks!
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Tom Stark
I understand styles affect the song results, but the songs, while they sound cool, sound nothing like the songs they are supposed to sound like! LOL! I would like to know how do I enter specific note values, so I can say a rest, followed by 2 1/8th notes played as a triplet, etc.

This is one of the biggest misconceptions of this program. It doesn't sound like a specific song because that's not what Biab is. Nowhere in the documentation does it say you can use Biab to create a song specific cover of whatever tune you're interested in because that's a copyright violation from the PGM's pov.

However, you can do it but you're jumping into the deep end of the power users pool right out of the box.

Without going into a 5 page detailed answer start with the styles. Biab is governed by styles and you can write a style that contains the exact or very close elements of one particular song. Understand though once you write that style it's really only good for that one song. If you use it for a different song it's going to sound like the tune it was written for but with different chords.

The next thing is freezing tracks. Working with midi only, not the RT's you can take a Biab generated bass track for example and going into the midi sequencer edit that bass track to match whatever you're looking for. Once you do that you have to remember to freeze the track otherwise as soon as you regenerate the song again Biab is going to regenerate the bass track according to the style and wipe out what you just did.

The third thing is loops. Lots of songs have repeating patterns or hooks. You can either find a loop of that or create it yourself and put into Biab's loop folder. You can assigned it to any instrument part you want. That alone is a whole other discussion.

That's enough for now, there's other power tricks available but again Biab is not designed for this. It's designed to give you good backing tracks to play along with in a style that could be "similar" to certain songs. For creating covers you're better off using Real Band which is a whole other discussion.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
P
Apprentice
Apprentice
P
Not to jump in the deep end of the pool or to hijack this thread but I am using BIAB to do backing tracks for a cover duo and for the most part I am able to get an acceptable backing because we are able to play keyboards, guitar, and guitar synth over top of the backing. How is RB better at making backing tracks? Is it because it is easier to record tracks into? When I tried RB it still uses a style that may not play exactly what I would want. Here is an example (a stupid one at that) I want backing tracks for Louie Louie....all the chord progressions are the same only difference it the starting bar the organ plays a E note then goes to A....not much but a signature start. The chord pattern doesn't change but chorus and verse are played in an entirely different rhythm. I can play this song in my sleep but the best I can do in RB was to get adequate bass, drums, and a simple chord strum. I know I can easily do backing tracks for this playing each part myself in Sonar but I use it as an example that would easily explain the issues I have run into. Don't get me wrong because for what I need BIAB will work wonderfully I just want to understand how to corral it into playing some parts a bit more specifically. Thanks for all the help as this forum has made my learning curve a lot less steep.

Veteran
Veteran
Welcome to the forum :-)

Do you own a set of Tux Tails?

I can play the drums

Kidding.

There are demo videos of Biab on the support page. Be sure to go through some of them, they helped me when I had specific questions about Biab.

In the style list, you can search by specific song or band and if there is a match, the styles will get listed in the right column of the style menu. Make sure to have the "All Styles" (top left of menu) hi-lited by clicking on it before entering your search terms. This will eliminate the unnecessary styles that won't match.

Most of the Biab styles were built around specific songs/bands. As an example, the AWB style (Average White Band) was built for the song Pick Up The Pieces.

Or,

Choose the blank.sty 4/4 and start selecting your Real Tracks to "roll your own" style for a song.

If you get stuck on something, this forum is the friendliest on the internet and people help each other here, like family.

Welcome to the family.

Trax

C
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
C
Originally Posted By: pedwards2932
Not to jump in the deep end of the pool or to hijack this thread but I am using BIAB to do backing tracks for a cover duo and for the most part I am able to get an acceptable backing because we are able to play keyboards, guitar, and guitar synth over top of the backing. How is RB better at making backing tracks? Is it because it is easier to record tracks into? When I tried RB it still uses a style that may not play exactly what I would want. Here is an example (a stupid one at that) I want backing tracks for Louie Louie....all the chord progressions are the same only difference it the starting bar the organ plays a E note then goes to A....not much but a signature start. The chord pattern doesn't change but chorus and verse are played in an entirely different rhythm. I can play this song in my sleep but the best I can do in RB was to get adequate bass, drums, and a simple chord strum. I know I can easily do backing tracks for this playing each part myself in Sonar but I use it as an example that would easily explain the issues I have run into. Don't get me wrong because for what I need BIAB will work wonderfully I just want to understand how to corral it into playing some parts a bit more specifically. Thanks for all the help as this forum has made my learning curve a lot less steep.

RealBand specifically lets you regenerate portions of tracks or the whole track, create multiriffs and is a DAW so you can cut/paste and copy riffs into tracks once you have created the authentic sound you want. RB allows you to have multiple tracks of the same instrument with each creating a unique version of the chord progression. RB is more intuitive to work with plug-ins and VST's. RB can import multiple audio and midi files. RB is better suited to edit midi files. BIAB is not a DAW and RB is.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
T
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted By: Muzic Trax
Welcome to the forum :-)

Do you own a set of Tux Tails?

I can play the drums

Kidding.

There are demo videos of Biab on the support page. Be sure to go through some of them, they helped me when I had specific questions about Biab.

In the style list, you can search by specific song or band and if there is a match, the styles will get listed in the right column of the style menu. Make sure to have the "All Styles" (top left of menu) hi-lited by clicking on it before entering your search terms. This will eliminate the unnecessary styles that won't match.

Most of the Biab styles were built around specific songs/bands. As an example, the AWB style (Average White Band) was built for the song Pick Up The Pieces.

Or,

Choose the blank.sty 4/4 and start selecting your Real Tracks to "roll your own" style for a song.

If you get stuck on something, this forum is the friendliest on the internet and people help each other here, like family.

Welcome to the family.

Trax

Thanks for the help, and the video was AMAZING! I used to edit Video for paid TV programing, what you did was an amazing amount of work! Loved it!

RIT Rocks, Cancer Sucks!
P
Apprentice
Apprentice
P
Thanks for answering my question.....seems I need to dig deeper into RB because it sounds like it would be easier to get what I want. I was having an issue with it not playing the style demo when I was using ASIO4ALL and had to switch to MME to get it to work. Still have to sort that issue out. Thanks again.

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: pedwards2932
I know I can easily do backing tracks for this playing each part myself in Sonar but I use it as an example that would easily explain the issues I have run into.

That's exactly what you do in RB if you need a signature lick or feel that you can't play live because you're playing something else. In RB you simply play the exact part on another track and then fade it in and out as it fits with the generated style parts. Once you get good at crossfade looping with no pops or other glitches, nobody but you would ever tell that you just switched from the backing parts to a part that you created and then switched back again.

Also, you can cop a trick from the rappers and sample a couple bars from a commercial recording and paste that in too. RB will let you import a CD file and convert it to a wav. That's a bit tricker because you have to spend some time using RB's audio editor to get the part to match the key and tempo but it's fairly easily done.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,396
Posts732,505
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz
38,441 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195