Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I have never in my life found a company that tries so hard to do do great work.

I ordered Audiophile yesterday and the drive arrived this morning. No extra charge for the service. They are in western Canada and I am in Miami.

No one does that!!

I stuck the USB plug in the drive and and was up and running in less that 10 seconds. WOW...talk about plug and play...WOW

This company, this software, the people on this site, are how I always wished the world should work.

Where have I found myself?

Is all this real or am I dreaming?

I have to leave for an offshore fishing trip right now....Carlos has just pulled up in my drive way, so I don't have the time at the moment to properly thank everyone.

So all I can say is thanks to all of you for making my life better.

Best wishes,

Billy

New location, new environment, new music coming soon

Seize the moo-ment
If you feel like you’ve herd all these cow puns before, you probably have deja-moo
Veteran
Veteran
Billy, you are dreaming.

But when you wake up, it will be better.

Have fun!

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Planobilly
I have never in my life found a company that tries so hard to do great work.

PG Music are spectacular to deal with. I have never come across another company like them.

Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Veteran
Veteran
I've done business with PG Music since the days when Atari was a serious computer, Macs had Motorola chips, and the PC was called an "IBM Compatible" and ran DOS5 and although that brand new thing called Windows 3.1 was making it's debut, PG hadn't released their version 1 for Windows yet.

In all those years, PG has been a stellar example of how to do business the right way - professional, friendly, and give that extra effort that makes them rise above the crowd.

Thanks Peter Gannon and crew.

Insights and incites by Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Veteran
Veteran
"...I have to leave for an offshore fishing trip right now..."

Catch anything, Billy?

Regards,

Bob

Veteran
Veteran
I'm not Billy and I don't fish anymore, but my experience with fishing for all the years I did it was I spent too much time feeding the fish - and if I weighed all the bait it would probably weigh more than the total fish I caught wink

But they have to eat too, don't they?

Insights, insights and very little humor by Notes

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi Guys,

To answer the fishing question " did I catch anything " in a word "yes"

But...as often goes the fishing adventures " the best plans" some times just don't work out.

The idea was to stock up on Mahi Mahi...the last trip of the season for that type of fish. Conditions were perfect except for water temp. The fish were just not there.

After running fifty miles off shore with one fish for out trouble in typical Carlos and Billy fashion we decided to go to the "Flemish Cap" or another fifty miles off shore as it were. Mind you this is in a 28 foot open center console boat.

Now we are fishing on the bottom in 1250 foot of water. We got Misty Grouper in 30 to 40 pound range and Yellow eye snapper around five pounds and Queen Snapper in the ten pound range.

Well, getting late, getting a bit low on fuel we bash into a three to four foot chop at 25 knots for four hours non stop to make the 100 mile run back to the house.

Beat me in to submission...lol...the things grown men who know better do for fun...lol

Don't try this at home, as they say, cause it is a good way to get killed. But never mind that, been there, done that, got the T shirt and am sure it won't be the last time. I am not real old, 68, and the pain is the same as when I was younger but the recovery time is getting longer and longer...lol

Fresh fish is in the cooler so allyall, thats is plural for yall, come on over and we can cook some up.

Now I get to check out my new Audiophile drive.

Cheers,

Billy

Seize the moo-ment
If you feel like you’ve herd all these cow puns before, you probably have deja-moo
Veteran
Veteran
100 miles offshore for dolphin? Wow. eek

Never had to go that far out for them. What's your home port down there?

Regards,

Bob

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi Bob,

We have a house in Marathon, Florida. And no I do not generally run more that fifty miles offshore for dolphin,...well I have run south toward Cuba a long way at times.

The issue was there were no dolphin to be found. So I went where the Misty Grouper live.

Both Carlos and I are crazy and we just don't give up till we got fish in the boat...lol Don't try this at home...lol

This can get you killed, and on the same day, Saturday, two young lads from Miami are lost at sea I fear. Their boat was found capsized and the Coast Guard is still looking for them. We can only pray that they are found.

The sea is a very unforgiving mistress and cares not if you live or die.

Cheers,

Billy

Seize the moo-ment
Veteran
Veteran
Growing up in South Florida and owning a couple of boats I know that especially in late July and August the sea can be as flat as a pancake one minute and a thunderstorm can whip up 40-50 mph winds and seas up to 12 feet a few minutes later.

I had some friends who were blue water sailors. They did the around the world thing in a 45' sloop. Their description of sailing was this: "Endless hours of boredom interrupted by moments of sheer terror".

I used to fish a lot when I was younger, but I quit when the fishing got comparatively fished out.

Back then you could catch up to 4 Snook a day, 365 days a year, as long as they were at least 18". There was no closed season on any fish, snapper, Snook or anything else.

We threw back fish like Amber Jacks that people now take home to eat because they didn't taste as good as the other fish that were so plentiful.

In the fall, we used to be able to stand on a pier in the Hillsboro Inlet in Pompano Beach with a dip net, and in an hour or two dip out a freezer full of shrimp.

We'd freeze some for bait, mom would clean the best ones for many future dinners, and we'd use the live ones to catch Snook.

And if nothing else was biting, you could put a sinker on the line and pull out snapper any time you wanted.

I spent any an evening across the inlet from this light catching Snook, Snappers, Lookdowns, and Moonfish on the docks where the fishing fleet moored. Before the influx of northerners, we were allowed on the piers, as we respected the boat owners' property and never touched the boats or lockers - we cleaned the fish on the dock and then cleaned our mess when we were done.

By the time I graduated high school, the population boomed, and a few people ruined it for the rest of us. No trespassing signs were put up. They also replaced the wooden turntable bridge with a concrete drawbridge and the fish didn't like hanging out under that bridge as well.

By the late 1970s it was over for me. It took too long to get a bite. It became an exercise in patience, and I just don't have that kind of patience. That's when I went to a sailboat. It gave me a different reason to be on the water.

I no longer own a boat but live one lot away from the Intra-Coastal waterway. It's a 2 mile wide lagoon here so I'm still near the water, and that soothes me.

Veteran
Veteran
Love Marathon. It is late in the season for dolphin. Grouper is good too. smile

It's a shame about the two boys. The parents are saying they were "experienced" on the water. Really? 14 years old, running to the Bahamas in a 19 footer, no float plan, radio, EPIRB, (and apparently, no life jackets) - recipe for disaster.

Makes a case for licensing boaters - that debate will rise again after this.

Regards,

Bob

Veteran
Veteran
Dang, Billy... bottom fishin' at 1250? That will wear ya out reeling in to re-bait! A 40 lb Grouper has got to make your arms feel like jellyfish...

Y'all need to come to the Gulf side - 30 miles out and 120 feet will get ya the same thing... smile (get ya home faster, too...)

(although, at the moment... not a good place to be...)

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: 90 dB
<...>
Makes a case for licensing boaters - that debate will rise again after this.

Regards,

Bob

It's not right to pass laws for people to protect themselves. People will find a way to be stupid and hurt or kill themselves.

There are plenty of dangerous activities out there, people die rock or mountain climbing every day, taking selfies with wild animals in National Parks, swimming when there is a rip tide, eating too much food and getting obese, hang gliding, skiing, etc, etc, etc.

When I was a kid, you didn't need a license to go scuba diving (or have your tanks filled). I don't think certification has reduced the number of diving deaths.

If you need a license to do something dangerous, where will it all end?

And even if you did, people will find a way to kill themselves.

Did you know that at the annual conference of the American Academy of Anti-Aging Medicine the general consensus was "Don't let your son play tackle football, unless you don't like him." Why? The helmet protects the scalp but not the brain bouncing in the scull. Most footballers get concussions, usually mild ones. The result: people who play tackle football in school have a 25% greater chance than the general public of developing Parkinson's or Alzheimer's when they reach retirement age. So do we need a license for that too? Or ban the sport?

Look at the drug laws. I would guess more non-drug users' lives have been ruined by the drug laws than total lives would be lost with drugs if they were legal. Because of the illegality the price is high, and people are at risk for robbery to pay for drugs, not to mention the gang wars and power struggles.

You just can't protect people from themselves by passing laws. It doesn't work.

The loss of the two boys is tragic, and I feel for their loved ones who are definitely in pain.

----------------------------------------

Someone mentioned Marathon.

Back when US mechanics didn't work on any foreign car but a VW, my Fiat Spyder broke down at the 55 mile marker.

Two days later, I had to tow it back to Fort Lauderdale, and the well meaning mechanic had put so many holes in the wiring, probing to see where the electricity was/wasn't, that the car never was the same. Corrosion set in and wiring became a constant problem. The cause of the original problem? A new but defective distributor cap from some aftermarket parts company.

It was a great car though. Topped out at 137mph. The speedometer said 140 but it redlined a little above 137. Yes, I did some dangerous speeding in that car - could have killed myself - but the traffic laws didn't prevent me from doing it.

So I guess I'm helping hijack the thread.

But then, the PG Forum is so nice, we can talk about things with our forum friends that have nothing to do with BiaB. I like that.

Veteran
Veteran
“It's not right to pass laws for people to protect themselves. People will find a way to be stupid and hurt or kill themselves.”

Operating a vessel is a lot different than driving a car. Most people are actually taught to drive, either in school or by a relative. You have to pass a test to demonstrate your ability to drive safely. Most would agree that this is a good system. It saves lives. Will some people drive like morons? Sure, but doing so they risk losing their license and that alone is a big deterrent.

Joe Blow, on the other hand, buys a 28 footer with a couple of 250's on the stern, pops a cold cerveza and proceeds to tear up the Bay. You can read about a different Joe Blow most Monday mornings in the Miami Herald. The stories usually involve fatalities.

A mandatory boating course, covering the basics of boat handling, docking, passing while underway, set and drift, dead reckoning, emergency radio procedure, etc. would make the waterways safer for everyone. It might have even saved the lives of these two boys from Jupiter.

Regards,

Bob

Apprentice
Apprentice
This string does call to mind a winding river . . .

But then again there are many connections between music and fishing. Scales. Bass. Musicians named Gil.

www.LawTunes.com: The LawTunes - The Musical Scales of Justice - Original Lawyer Rock & Roll
www.SurfChords.com: The SurfChords - The Endless Summer Continues and The Wave Never Ends
Veteran
Veteran
I once paddled a canoe on a winding river... does that count?

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: 90 dB
<...> Operating a vessel is a lot different than driving a car. Most people are actually taught to drive, either in school or by a relative. You have to pass a test to demonstrate your ability to drive safely. Most would agree that this is a good system. It saves lives. Will some people drive like morons? Sure, but doing so they risk losing their license and that alone is a big deterrent.

<...>A mandatory boating course, covering the basics of boat handling, docking, passing while underway, set and drift, dead reckoning, emergency radio procedure, etc. would make the waterways safer for everyone. It might have even saved the lives of these two boys from Jupiter.

Regards,

Bob

I see your point Bob.

On the other hand, did certification make scuba diving any safer? Instead it became a revenue stream for PADI dive shops.

When I was a kid, the older kids taught us how to dive. First lesson: Never hold your breath, especially while changing depths and if you don't know what it is, don't touch it.

It was a rare case when someone did something stupid under the water and paid the price. After certification, it's still a rare case when somebody does something stupid under the water and pays the price. In fact, we usually lose at least one PADI certified diver every lobster season.

The difference is, now you have to shell out money for a course to get PADI certification before you can get your tanks filled. The first one I checked on on-line went for over $800.00.

I never got certified, I was safe diving long before the course. By the time certification was mandatory, I was getting tired of it anyway. I've gone a couple of times since then, and went with a PADI buddy who filled the tanks.

The boys from Jupiter should have known better, they weren't novices. However, most people that age think they are invincible (subconsciously anyway), thrill seekers, and daredevils.

I admit, I could be wrong, but I don't think a boat operators license would have saved them.

I live off a curvy, hilly road and my street turns off a 2 lane road going uphill. The speed limit is 35 but we lose a few each year from going too fast on that road, losing control, and driving into the lagoon. All licensed drivers, most youthful.

A year or so ago, someone lost control on a curve known as "Dead Man's Curve", wiped himself out and two unfortunate senior citizens approaching the curve from the south. Speed limit on the road is 35, curve suggestion is 25 and he was going over 65. I guess Dead Man's Curve was a challenge he lost.

Plus, when I go home I'll put my turn signal on, as I go up the hill to my street at least once per week someone will pass me on the left instead of waiting for me to turn. Cars pop over the crest with only a second or two of warning. It's a head-on waiting to happen. Yet the licensed drivers can't wait 10 or 15 seconds for me to make the turn.

License or not, there will be bozos on the water who will not be safe boaters and not only endanger themselves, but endanger others as well. Humans may be one of the smartest animals on the planet, but at times we are also one of the stupidest animals on the planet.

And I do agree that we all should take a safe boating course. At least Chapman Piloting, Seamanship & Small Boat Handling should be read by all boaters.

There are those who will go hiking without learning what to pack and how to stay safe. Some will pay the price. When I visited the Grand Canyon, in spite of all the signs, a Park Ranger said that they lose about 6 people per year getting too close to the edge for a picture and plummeting down the wall. In spite of all the signs, a few people still feed the alligators in the Everglades National Park. People still inject heroin into their veins. People still climb mountains. People still let their sons play tackle football, people still smoke cigarettes, people still hang glide, and so on. Some will end up paying the ultimate price. No amount of regulation will fix that.

People still listen to loud music or go to sporting events where the noise is over 100db (the loudest noise ever measured was at a sporting event in the USA and it registered over 140db). Everybody left with permanently damaged ears.

When I was in high school, there was a one-lane bridge over the Boca Raton inlet on state highway A1A. Not a two lane bridge, but a one lane bridge with a stop sign on either side. The north side of the bridge was fed by a blind curve - you couldn't see cars coming. The thing the more daring high school boys would do was to speed to that bride at 50mph or more and fly over it. Fortunately nobody got killed, only because the traffic at night was light. Licensed drivers all.

The loss of the two boys from Jupiter is indeed tragic, and I think there is little hope they will be found alive, if at all.

They should have known better. I did dangerous things when I was young, thankfully I got lucky. Not everybody does. That doesn't mean I'm not sympathetic. I'm sad they didn't get lucky that day.

I don't know what the answer is. How do you cure stupidity?

Veteran
Veteran
Bob/Notes, et al.: Smart and stupid are not opposites. They coexist just fine in some people. *smh*

"My primary musical instrument is the personal computer."
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi all,

It was not my intent to turn this thread into a fishing/legal thread. But...that is OK with me and several of you have commented on the issue.

Update:

The Coast Guard has suspended the search for the two boys.

This is a sad but all to often boating story here in south Florida.

There may be no regulations that can prevent this type of thing from happening.

I hear the phrase "there ought to be a law" about many things. Well..there are laws, enough laws on paper it is a wonder we have any trees left to make paper from.

Should training be required to run a boat? Yes, I think it would be helpful. Will that requirement stop people from hurting themselves and others? Absolutely not. Secondly, we in many cases, can not or will not enforce the law to begin with.

Everything at the end of the day is about money and how we spend it. The cost for the search for these two kids has run into hundred's of thousands of dollars, or more perhaps.

I don't think these two kids or there parents were stupid. Just unaware or unwilling to except the real laws, the laws of nature or cause and effect.

The only good news in all this is if they are in fact lost at sea then they died doing what they loved to do and I for one hope I get to die in the same way...doing what I love.

This thread started out on a very happy note. I wanted too express my thanks to PG Music for a great product and thank everyone here for all the kind help.

Funny how life can turn from happy to sad so quickly.

Best wishes to everyone here,

Billy

Seize the moo-ment
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Ryszard
Bob/Notes, et al.: Smart and stupid are not opposites. They coexist just fine in some people. *smh*

I totally agree
and they both are in me

I'd like to cast out
the stupid no doubt

but sometimes it's smarter than me

wink

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,587
Posts734,745
Members38,500
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Krystal Mcclain, Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex
38,500 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 191