Go To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Off-Topic
J
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
J
Notes said;
"I play rock, disco, big band swing, jazz, R&B, C&W, blues, mambo, merengue, samba, calypso, soca, reggae, beach music, Motown, oldies, new age, smooth jazz, hiphop, dixieland, bubble gum, Broadway, zydeco and one opera song.

I find nothing immoral about any of them."

Your missing the point of the definition and it's not a personal attack on you or your choice of music. You can use a number of topics or scenarios to demonstrate the definition I gave. What you describe in your personal expose of musical styles that you play doesn't meet the standards of the definition of a sell out IMO.

The "moral" part of the definition was coupled with another word "principle". Both of these words are personal attributes that each person develops through their life and become a guide in their decision making process. Some people allow these attributes to control their decisions so much so that they make it known to the world that they would never compromise, not even if someone paid them. "I would never do that!!!!" That's what I mean when I say their has to be a moral declaration. It has absolutely nothing to do with the morality of music. It's a personal declaration and different for everyone.

Little Johnny: "I will never eat my brussel sprouts not even if you let me stay awake till midnight."
That's the declaration.
Dad: "What if I let you stay up till morning?"
Little Johnny: "ok!"
That's the sell out.

Please don't make it anymore difficult than that.

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Hmm,
First, Eddie, I am taking something of a liberty by using what I understand of your perspective to make some points. Please understand I am not in any way having a go at you, but I am "using" you smirk

Now, I know Eddie has some disdain for cover bands, and prefers to listen to original music. Fair enough, we all have our preferences. I only mention that to provide a foundation for this. I don't care if what I'm playing is original or not.

I primarily play for 3 reasons:
1) I simply enjoy "blowin' my horn", especially if I have managed to get better at it. I know I'm no "expert" whatever one of those is, in fact I consider myself a marginally talented hack, but I still have fun, no matter what genre I end up playing. Strangely, I even enjoy playing stuff I would never bother listening too - I really don't get that...

2) I really enjoy being involved with other musicians as we play our parts in making a musical "whole" out of what we are playing. Hence my preference for bands and not solo work. I regularly play in 3 "Big Bands", a concert band and a smallish (average of 8 pieces) jazz band. I also play all the amateur musical theatre productions I can ensconce myself in, and occasionally dep. in another concert band. I'm also involved in a brass band and wouldn't mind spending some time in a symphony orchestra if I can manage to make the opportunity. I would REALLY love to be able to play in a "house band" for something like the "*** Idol" or "*** got talent" TV shows - this connects to point 3 below...

3) I really enjoy entertaining people and generally am happy to play what the crowd wants, as far as I can, simply because that's what they want. There are some limitations here, though. Sadly, I have very occasionally committed myself to a gig and discovered that the "show" wasn't what I was expecting - because I gave my word I played the gig, but didn't enjoy it.

Now, I think Eddie would fully understand points 1 and 2 but I'm not sure he would agree with point 3. Unless I've completely misunderstood what he's been writing, I think he would consider the 3rd a "sell out" a) because I would be pandering to the crowd instead of my own preferences. and b) because I have played things I didn't like (even though it was because my word is important to me)

FWIW I agree with the simple definition:
Saying "I would never..." and then doing it for gain (usually financial) is selling out. I don't think anything else is...

--=-- My credo: If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing - just ask my missus, she'll tell ya laugh --=--
You're only paranoid if you're wrong!
Off-Topic
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
It is a silly conversation! laugh Do what you want for whatever reason you choose to do it. (At the end of the day that is what we all do anyway.) And if you change your mind, for whatever reason and at any time, then that is just fine. "Selling out" is just someone else crying sour grapes as they try to hold you to some standard they imagine is universal and meaningful!

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: JohnJohnJohn
It is a silly conversation! laugh Do what you want for whatever reason you choose to do it. (At the end of the day that is what we all do anyway.) And if you change your mind, for whatever reason and at any time, then that is just fine.

Hi 3J,
No argument, it is pretty silly...

Originally Posted By: JohnJohnJohn
"Selling out" is just someone else crying sour grapes as they try to hold you to some standard they imagine is universal and meaningful!

...but in the spirit of the OP's question:
I think the operative phrase here is "some standard they imagine is universal and meaningful!".
However, if you consider that there seems to be a consensus reached here that if someone nominates a standard and then goes against it then they qualify as having "sold out". Of course, on the flip side, as you said (I'm paraphrasing somewhat) EVERYONE, not only women, are allowed to change their mind wink

--=-- My credo: If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing - just ask my missus, she'll tell ya laugh --=--
You're only paranoid if you're wrong!
Off-Topic
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Originally Posted By: Lawrie
EVERYONE, not only women, are allowed to change their mind wink

Exactly! laugh

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Never say never wink

If one says, "I'll never play pop music" and changes his/her mind a year later, is that selling out? Is that immoral? Is that abandoning principles?

I guess that's a judgement call, but I would save principles and morals for something more serious than that kind of music I play. But that's me.

For me immoral would be things like cheating on my wife (or someone else's wife), stealing, or doing something else to compromise the rights or property of another.

Some people think eating beef is immoral, I like it. As I said, immoral is a personal judgement call.

I personally don't think playing any kind of music would be a sell-out, as long as the person playing it doesn't think of himself/herself as a sell out.

I like playing music, and haven't found a style I don't like playing yet.

Insights and incites by Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Lawrie

Now, I think Eddie would fully understand points 1 and 2 but I'm not sure he would agree with point 3. Unless I've completely misunderstood what he's been writing, I think he would consider the 3rd a "sell out" a) because I would be pandering to the crowd instead of my own preferences. and b) because I have played things I didn't like (even though it was because my word is important to me)

Your example 3 just makes you a pro who honors commitments and is true to his word.

My point, as it would apply to me, would be after years of spewing my disdain for playing Mustang Sally, Moondance, anything my Skynard, and several others on my list, I join a band that plays those songs. I honestly, and I mean this 100%, will refrain from playing music ever again if I was told I had to play those songs on my "Never Again" list. I will go to this extreme to stay with my word. If I was playing a gig with a band, a band who did not play any of those songs, and someone came up and requested "Stairway to Freebird", and the band did it, I would quit the band immediately and not even finish the night. My logic is "If you are going to do it your way where I have no input and you have no respect for what I think is a solid, conscious, musical integrity (there is that oxymoron again!) based decision to never play those songs, you can just do it without me from that minute forward, and I wish you well but I will never play with you again. I am THAT staunch in my belief that there is no reason to be a "because everybody else plays them" chump band. I am not a chump. (Not musically at least. Several women in Ohio would say otherwise. But they all have nice jewelry to remember me by.)

The list:

Mustang Sally
Moondance
Gimme Three Steps
Freebird
Sweet Home Alabama
I Love Rock And Roll
I Hate Myself For Loving You
ANY disco (It is 2015)
ANY Skynard (I know more than those 3 chords)
ANY Kiss (See: "3 chords" above)
ANY Led Zepplin, especially that insipid "Rock'n'Roll" song (Just loud. Nothing more.)
ANY Jimmy Buffet (Seriously? Cheeseburgers? Margaritaville? Sober up and get a job. There is more to life than staying drunk and high all the time.)

I also won't play in a band that doesn't have a thumbprint. Don't be a rock band for 25 minutes, then be a country band, then disco, then punk, then jazz.... You may think that a song list like that will get you more work. I disagree. I believe it is 180 degrees opposed. You can't go into Bob's Country Bunker playing 60's R&B. (Watch the Blues Brothers movie again and you'll understand.)

I guess I should just say that I prefer to not be part of a cliche. I want a set list that NOBODY in town plays so people have a reason to come and hear me, that reason being that unique factor.

As usual I will say, that's just me and my opinion heavily seasoned by the fact that I don't play to pay my mortgage payment or buy food. I really want to play all my own stuff but there are not as many as 3 or 4 other musicians in northeast Ohio who would do that because (say it with me) "The clubs don't want to HEEEEAAAARRRR originals...." (Imagine that with the most annoying nasal whining tone you can muster.)

Last edited by eddie1261; 06/17/15 10:37 AM.

I am using the new 1040XTRAEZ form this year. It has just 2 lines.

1. How much did you make in 2023?
2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Sell out is a term I never have understood when applied to the music industry, as when most artist are interviewed they will say they do not want to be peg holed into one genre of music; yet when someone makes a splash in a genre other than the one they were possibly discovered in; they become a sell out. If someone can go from Country to pop as Swift just did and still have the success; more power to them. In most cases you only hear people use the term when they have either been wronged by someone who left for greener pastures; or they are frustrated artist who have lost the joy of music and it's purpose.

My Tunes

Psalm 57:7 My heart, O God, is steadfast, my heart is steadfast; I will sing and make music.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
On the opposite end of the coin, everyone who plays for money is a sellout.

On a more serious note, I mostly hear the term when either:
  1. When a musician identifies himself/herself with a certain form of music and a famous person who plays that kind of music leaves "the club" to find monetary success elsewhere
  2. When a musician is envious of the fame another musician found

I don't understand either one:
  1. There are no clear cut lines between musical genres, classical melodies find their way into rock songs. It's just music. --- Before Internet Radio, Nashville TN had two of the best jazz radio stations in the country and I read an interview from a big session musician who said, "Don't let the suits know you are really into jazz, because they believe in country music."
  2. When a fellow musician becomes famous we should be happy for him/her. It's a rare thing, and it takes talent, a lot of luck, and so many other things that are not really under the control of the musician. Enjoying their success feels better to one's spirit than hating them for it.

For those reasons, I have never-ever called anyone a sell-out, and don't intend to do so.

I have played serious classical music, jazz, rock, country, blues, salsa and other forms of music. There are the same 12 notes in each genre, it's just how you put them together and how you use your technique to express them. It's even fun to get out of your comfort zone and try something different.

I've also been on the bandstand for decades, and there is one thing I know: When a musician does something that incites big excitement in the audience, he/she is going to do more of it.

So if and when you call someone a sell-out, you are really telling the world something about yourself.

Insights and incites by Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,622
Posts735,188
Members38,520
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
DanyLevy, Arnav Singh, vasilich, maxrob61, TonyInManchester
38,519 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 185