Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#305201 08/03/15 09:37 AM
Off-Topic
Ryszard Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Just another reason, for me anyway, not to make the change. This has been confirmed through Slashdot and Bleepingcomputer.

http://rightwingnews.com/top-news/creepy-microsofts-new-windows-10-browser-will-be-watching-logging-everything-you-do/

"My primary musical instrument is the personal computer."
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
"Microsoft says they collect the information “to provide you a personalized user dictionary, help you type and write on your device with better character recognition, and provide you with text suggestions as you type or write.”

"personalized user dictionary"??????

Say what? shocked

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
How is this even legal? They are doing it openly and publicly?

The data they collect, is it going to be sold to 3rd parties, or to the highest bidder?

Does the government have their hands in this as well?

Too many questions to answer and I won't upgrade anytime soon.

Trax

Off-Topic
Ryszard Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
According to the article, it tracks EVERYTHING you do on your PC, not just online. And yes, some of it is shared with third parties. For those of you who did it, you consented to it when you clicked "Agree" to the 45 pages of terms and conditions you didn't read.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
According to the article, there's an opt-out option as well.

By default it's not set, and it's a bit of a pain to opt-out, but it can be done.

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
If you click on Default Settings, that's what you get - Big Brother

However, if you select Custom Settings, you can turn any or all of these features off

I rarely use default settings, they're usually designed to help someone else...

Trev

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: 90 dB
"Microsoft says they collect the information “to provide you a personalized user dictionary, help you type and write on your device with better character recognition, and provide you with text suggestions as you type or write.”

"personalized user dictionary"??????

Say what? shocked

For whatever reason this could be useful. If you're working in a specialized field in astrophysics, or medicine, of [pick something yourself] for example, that might be helpful. Stephen Hawking uses a very specialized software of this kind for his lectures.

Desktop; i7-2600k, 8 GB mem., Win 10 Pro, BIAB 2017; RB 2017 - latest build
Laptop: i5-2410M, 4 GB mem, Win 10 Pro, BIAB 2017; RB 2017 - latest build
Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Your phone (if you are using a smart phone) has likely been building a personal user dictionary every since you turned it on the first time.

MS Office has been doing the same for a really long time, perhaps decades. Pretty sure all of the big 3 browsers have been collecting this info as well to various degrees. These 'personal user dictionaries' have been part of the software you are used to using.

Windows 8 has this on portable devices and it works famously while e-mailing or texting. Apple iOS as well since at least iOS 6 I believe. I've never had an Android phone so I don't know if it's in there, but confirmed in Windows 8 on the phone and at least in the text messaging feature of iOS 6 and above. These are the 'suggested' words that appear in various places while you are typing. That's your personal user dictionary. It's really not a dictionary in the sense of providing definitions, it's a personal commonly used word list and sequencing.

One simple example: I live in Colorado Springs. In my Windows 8 phone as soon as I hit a space after typing 'Colorado', 'springs' is in a short list of suggested words. There's also some kind of cloud reference as well as my own personalized list

It makes complete sense to integrate it into all Windows releases for all devices.

BTW - I just confirmed that Win8 has been doing this since 2012. See here: http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2012/12/06/the-secrets-of-the-windows-phone-8-keyboard/

Here's one snippet of the article on how they build the word lists (erroneously called dictionaries):

"How did we build them? You helped us! Remember the little checkbox during phone set up (and in Settings) that talks about helping us improve text suggestions and build a better product? When someone gives us permission, we collect anonymous typing data—free of passwords, names, numbers, and other personal info—to help create and test Word Flow."

Here's Apple's latest iOS 8 describing basically the same feature:
https://www.apple.com/ios/whats-new/quicktype/

Doesn't look like Android has a user-specific word suggestion/tracker built in from what I can tell.

As with any information technology, it can be used for good and for evil. I will say that I'm thankful for word suggestions on the Win 8 phone. E-mails and texts are 'muy rapido' compared to my iPhone 4s.

Off-Topic
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
https://pghboemike.wordpress.com/2015/07/19/windows-10/ The link five things you must do on this page will show you how to disable A number of these behaviors

I update the page I find more information

Last edited by pghboemike; 08/04/15 12:17 AM.

Lenovo YOGA 900 Window s 10 Home 64bit 16GB RAM\2018 13” MacBook Air casio wk7500 presonus audiobox i2 usb interface
casio wk-7500
biab & realband 2023 everything pk both with Current builds
Off-Topic
Ryszard Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Let's cut to the chase, guys. Win 10 functions as a keylogger. It searches for or records credit cards, passwords, and other personal data, then stores it, and possibly transmits it to Microsoft, who may then share some of it with third parties.

Here is one application where that may actually be criminal. As a medical transcriptionist (MT) working from home, under the provisions of a congressional act known as HIPAA, I am responsible for maintaining the security of patient information. I use a password-protected PC on a secure network in a locked room. No one may see or hear patient information besides me. An MT is liable for $25,000 per occurrence of a HIPAA violation. But if I upgrade to Windows 10, this data is being recorded, and perhaps being sent to Microsoft by default. How is that legal?

This is currently the subject of vigorous discussions on MT forums around the Internet. How does MS justify providing an OS with such a feature enabled without users' knowing consent?

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
1984 approaches with increasing speed.

Desktop; i7-2600k, 8 GB mem., Win 10 Pro, BIAB 2017; RB 2017 - latest build
Laptop: i5-2410M, 4 GB mem, Win 10 Pro, BIAB 2017; RB 2017 - latest build
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
The Internet Security experts readily agree: There is no such thing as Internet Security. Watch TED Presentations and be shocked and amazed.

Every signal that can be transmitted can also be hijacked.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Richard, it's always good to be security minded. You make excellent points. Like I mentioned, you can turn on or off any of these features. Most of mine are Off. I suspect you can turn just about everything Off. The 'default' option doesn't do this, but custom settings does. HTH
Trevor

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
2015-08-04_23-40-45.jpg (57.46 KB, 162 downloads)
2015-08-04_23-42-44.jpg (49.58 KB, 163 downloads)
2015-08-04_23-45-01.jpg (62.37 KB, 161 downloads)

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
Like I mentioned, you can turn on or off any of these features. Most of mine are Off. I suspect you can turn just about everything Off. The 'default' option doesn't do this, but custom settings does. HTH Trevor

That's a helpful image to post.
I don't know when I'll be doing the upgrade to Win10 but the icon is in my tray.

Hmmm....if/when I click on that Win10 icon I'm still a bit unclear what happens.
Does it first ask me questions, etc. prior to any installation beginning?
No....I'm not terrified I'll muck something up. smile

Thanks for that post and image.

Carry on....

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
It asks all of the question the very first time Windows 10 starts. You can also get to the questions later on via the control panel (that's how I got the screen captures)

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I found this TED Demonstration to be especially riveting:

https://youtu.be/YiUN35Ikdfw

Where can we hide?

When we can remotely destroy a nuclear power plant in Iran, what prevents them from blowing ours?

This is very interesting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqKafI7Amd8

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Well on the second attempt I got windows 10 installed, most apps seem to work ok.

I do like it that you can open the apps now on the desktop rather than having to go to the start menu.

When windows 8 came out I bought the upgrade to my windows 7, though 7 was home version, my 8 version was pro. So I have upgraded that to 10, had error message on first install, second time around it went ok. I have turned off fast boot in 10 as I had trouble with that in windows 8 not booting right into the desktop in a dual boot with windows 7.

One thing I have found with windows 10 (though its got the new browser EDGE) is that the old internet explorer 11 seems to hang and crash but running as admin seems to have fixed that problem.

For the moment I am treating windows 10 as a novelty and a new toy, my go to OS is windows 7

Musiclover

Last edited by musiclover; 08/04/15 08:33 AM.

Musiclover

My music https://www.youtube.com/user/donegalprideofall

Windows 10 (64bit) M-Audio Fast Track Pro, Band in a Box 2024, Cubase 13, Cakewalk and far too many VST plugins that I probably don't need or will ever use smile
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
As a tax pro I have the same level of security requirements from the IRS you do with your thing Ryzard. People's tax returns and financial information is obviously confidential.

Having said that I really think your concerns are blown way out of proportion. MS is not "stealing" that level of secret info, they're not keylogging you. If you don't want their "help" with writing stuff fine. That's not a problem but to think MS can go into your machine to steal patient records is ridiculous and over the top paranoid imho. Patient records get stolen by hacking the health care providers. THAT's where the problem is.

It's hackers getting into GSA's system and stealing the personal info of over 30 million former and current government employees, some with high level security clearances. Then there's the Sony hack, Target, Home Depot and who knows how many other big ones. It's stupid and incompetent IT people at these big entities or perhaps I should say maybe not the IT people, it's their bosses who cut their budgets and are too political.

You have a choice. You either have some faith in these huge companies and our government or you don't. If you do then take the usual precautions we all talk about here. If you don't then throw away your phone, your computer, your tablet, your credit and debit cards, online banking, anything that is connected to the internet and just go back to the 70's. No email, no social media, no Google, no streaming anything, no GPS, no PG forum, nothing.

Seriously there's no halfway with this, it's one or the other.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Ryszard
Let's cut to the chase, guys. Win 10 functions as a keylogger. It searches for or records credit cards, passwords, and other personal data, then stores it, and possibly transmits it to Microsoft, who may then share some of it with third parties.

It POSSIBLY transmits it to Micro$oft who MAY then share it.....

We need proof, not speculation and possible case scenarios. Remember, I am as anti- Micro$oft as you can imagine, but "possibly" and "may" are not an indictment.

You remember when one of the cell phone carriers had some deal where you were supposed to give them names and numbers of your friends and then they would contact those friends and market them? Did anybody here do that? Then YOU are doing what Micro$oft is doing. How many people, upon a crash, click "send error report". Your computer then phones home and you have NO idea what it is looking at. Does anybody every say "Yes" to those "take a survey about our website" prompts? My question to that is "Do you get paid to do market research for that company?"

People are WAY too concerned about what might possibly could maybe happen. Most of those same people have no clue about data encryption. They think their actual credit card number is transmitted, not their credit card number multiplied by a random 128 character algorithm. That kind of paranoia is based on the same logic that says you should never drive on a highway because an engine might fall off a jet and hit your car.

Being prudent about where you use your credit cards is the key. How many people do I meet that go on and on about not using a credit card online because their number may be stolen, yet they think nothing about going to a restaurant and handing that card to a waitress they don't know who then disappears for 10 minutes with that card and perhaps leaves herself a voice mail with the card number, name and 3 digit security code.

More education, folks.

Last edited by eddie1261; 08/04/15 05:29 PM.

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
I don't often find myself in agreement with Eddie but the man is right on today.

Keith
2024 Audiophile Windows 11 AMD RYZEN THREADRIPPER 3960X 4.5GHZ 128 GB RAM 2 Nvidia RTX 3090s, Vegas,Acid,SoundForge,Izotope Production,Melodyne Studio,Cakewalk,Raven Mti
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,399
Posts732,551
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199