#305193 08/03/15 08:53 AM
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
B
BIABguy Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
B
I know people use BIAB for many different purposes.

Is it legal to make a bunch of backing tracks with BIAB (plug in a bunch of chord progressions) and then sell them on the internet as backing tracks (with no mention of BIAB)?

BIABguy
BIABguy #305195 08/03/15 09:00 AM
Veteran
Veteran
Yes!

Disclaimer: I am not a Lawyer so any legal trouble you get into, you're on your own....

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

DrDan #305196 08/03/15 09:15 AM
B
BIABguy Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
B
Originally Posted By: jazzmandan
Yes!

Disclaimer: I am not a Lawyer so any legal trouble you get into, you're on your own....

Thanks Dan!

Well I would like a more definitive answer if possible. smile
I don't have ambitions for doing this.

But I just visited a website that is selling backing tracks and it is very obvious that BIAB was used as the engine to create the tracks. So I wondered...

BIABguy
BIABguy #305198 08/03/15 09:21 AM
Journeyman
Journeyman
My 2 cents

Contact PG Support for an answer.

DE

Win 10, 64 bit, love my Lenovo T420, BIAB 2019 (613), RB 2019 (2)

Short term memory is getting shorter.
BIABguy #305202 08/03/15 09:53 AM
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
been answered here many times before...what you create with BIAB is yours to do with as you see fit.

BIABguy #305203 08/03/15 10:13 AM
Veteran
Veteran

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
JohnJohnJohn #305206 08/03/15 10:35 AM
B
BIABguy Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
B
Originally Posted By: JohnJohnJohn
been answered here many times before...what you create with BIAB is yours to do with as you see fit.

Thanks John, but this still doesn't answer the question really.

"The arrangements made by Band-in-a-Box are yours, and your songs may be used freely as long as they don't infringe upon the intellectual property rights of others."

Nor does the above in the FAQ that Noel mentioned.

Using something freely (as in accompaniment live or at home) and selling something are two different things.

I would like to hear if tunes created using BIAB can be *sold* for a profit online (or offline) to customers.

Doing something "as I see fit" may not be legal.

BIABguy
BIABguy #305207 08/03/15 10:51 AM
Veteran
Veteran
Don't forget to take the question for the FAQ into account as well. It was...

"Are the songs that I create with BIAB copyrighted?"

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
BIABguy #305228 08/03/15 01:06 PM
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: BIABguy

"The arrangements made by Band-in-a-Box are yours, and your songs may be used freely as long as they don't infringe upon the intellectual property rights of others."

Using something freely (as in accompaniment live or at home) and selling something are two different things.

I would like to hear if tunes created using BIAB can be *sold* for a profit online (or offline) to customers.

That means any ORIGINAL song that is generated by PGMusic software can be freely copyrighted, posted and/or sold, i.e. no copyright issues. Any COVER song that is generated by PGMusic software can NOT be posted and/or sold because of copyright issues with others, BMI and song publishers or example.

This is true with all DAWs also. You can not post, give away or sell any copyrighted song unless YOU PAY for that privilege.

Last edited by MarioD; 08/03/15 01:11 PM.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
BIABguy #305238 08/03/15 02:44 PM
Veteran
Veteran
I don't know the answer, but I don't think selling backing tracks is the same as using an original song created in BIAB.

Just because another website appears to be doing the same thing doesn't constitute proof of legality.

The only thing I think I know is, you should START by getting the opinion of PG Music before you ever tried to sell anything. Add to that, be especially careful if the backing tracks are for copyrighted songs.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Matt Finley #305248 08/03/15 03:52 PM
B
BIABguy Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
B
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley

The only thing I think I know is, you should START by getting the opinion of PG Music before you ever tried to sell anything. Add to that, be especially careful if the backing tracks are for copyrighted songs.

Thanks Matt, good advice.
Along the lines of what I was thinking.

I'll call PG Music soon, just out of curiosity.

BIABguy
BIABguy #305250 08/03/15 04:04 PM
Veteran
Veteran
Good luck. Post the answer here if it's OK with the company.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
BIABguy #305262 08/03/15 07:23 PM
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Originally Posted By: BIABguy

By all means ask PG (the second person answering your question suggested that!) I had similar questions in November 2012 and called and had the following conversation with PG. The "Q"s are me and the "A"s are PG! smile

------
Q. I am allowed to use BIAB songs with RealTracks in my music with no further compensation to anyone regardless of how I sell or distribute my music. is that correct?

A. The arrangements made by Band-in-a-Box and RealBand are yours, and your songs may be used freely as long as they don't infringe upon the intellectual property rights of others.

------
Q. I am allowed to use BIAB songs with RealTracks in my music without providing credits to anyone (PG, the artists who played the RealTracks, etc.) regardless of how I sell or distribute my music. is that correct? Am I allowed to credit PG Music/BIAB on my CD if I want to? If yes, are there any guidelines I should follow?

A. You are not required to credit PG Music or Band-in-a-Box on your CDs, but you can credit PG Music/Band-in-a-Box if you choose to. We don't have any specific guidelines for providing credits, though.

------
Q. Am I allowed to credit the artists who played the RealTracks on my CD if I want to?

A. We actually request that you do not credit any RealTracks or MIDI Soloist artists in order to maintain the artist's creative integrity.
------

BIABguy #305276 08/04/15 02:32 AM
Apprentice
Apprentice
I'd think it would be the same as recording and selling an album. If it's an original song or Public Domain, you should be able to sell the backing track. If it's a copyrighted song, you can only sell the track if you have permission or pay a royalty.

Rich

Windows 10, 64 bit | BIAB 2019 PlusPak | Studio One 2 Artist
BIABguy #305283 08/04/15 03:22 AM
Veteran
Veteran
My advise is to get the opinion of a copyright lawyer.

When I started my BiaB aftermarket business back in 1992, the lawyer was what I thought was a big expense. But since I paid for it, I followed his advice to the letter.

Since then I've been audited twice by BMI and came out smelling like a rose. It was money well spent.

Anybody here can tell you what they believe is definitive advise, but unless they are qualified to give you legal advice, it's not worth the pixels they took up on your screen.

If you get sued, you have nothing to stand on.

However, if you have a paper from your lawyer giving you what he/she thought was proper legal advice, and you get sued, you have a better chance of getting out unscathed.

If you are going to go into business, believe me, the money will be well spent.

Insights and incites by Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
BIABguy #305289 08/04/15 04:20 AM
Veteran
Veteran
Like Bob said " get a copyright lawyer"

Also having a copyright/Music lawyer will not keep you from getting sued. It will surely help but nothing is fool proof.

Asking PG Music or any other company for that matter for permission to use something they own will do you no good unless it is in writing by a officer of the corporation. At least in United States law.

PG Music may advise you in good faith that they have no issue with something you want to do but that does not make it legal.

Consider this: Brent Mason recorded sessions for PG Music.

1. Did he sign a release to PG Music for his work?
2. Did he agree to the use of his name?

This list could go on for a very long time.

This is not about good guys or nice companies or making a few bucks making a backing track or a multi million dollar hit record using Band In A Box.

These are legal questions.

GET A LAWYER, and not just any lawyer, get a music business lawyer, and while you are at it get a pile of money to defend your actions in court when you do get sued.

Cheers,

Billy

EDIT: U.S. Code: Title 17 - COPYRIGHTS...13 Chapters...zillions of paragraphs written in legal language that no one even the lawyers fully understand...lol..go google this and read the whole thing and it will be quite clear why you need a LAWYER...lol..Oh and this is just United States law, not addressing international law or law in the country you live in...lol

Last edited by Planobilly; 08/04/15 05:44 AM.

New location, new environment, new music coming soon

Seize the moo-ment
If you feel like you’ve herd all these cow puns before, you probably have deja-moo
Matt Finley #305314 08/04/15 09:12 AM
B
BIABguy Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
B
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
Good luck. Post the answer here if it's OK with the company.

Thanks.

Just called.

According to the rep it is just as most here have been saying.
PG Music allows you to sell songs that were made with their software (and not owe any money to PG Music), but others can sue you if you have infringed on their copyright (songs).

BIABguy
Planobilly #305315 08/04/15 09:17 AM
B
BIABguy Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
B
Originally Posted By: Planobilly
Like Bob said " get a copyright lawyer"

Also having a copyright/Music lawyer will not keep you from getting sued. It will surely help but nothing is fool proof.

Asking PG Music or any other company for that matter for permission to use something they own will do you no good unless it is in writing by a officer of the corporation. At least in United States law.

PG Music may advise you in good faith that they have no issue with something you want to do but that does not make it legal.

...GET A LAWYER, and not just any lawyer, get a music business lawyer, and while you are at it get a pile of money to defend your actions in court when you do get sued.

Billy makes some very good points above.

As I said in my original post, I am not contemplating selling any BIAB produced songs online. I was just interested in knowing the score about the process, as I am certain songs I recently heard online were produced using BIAB and were being sold as backing tracks.

I just thought to myself, "Well this is pretty easy peasy. Just type in the chords, render the songs and sell them for $x.00 a pop." smile

BIABguy
BIABguy #305323 08/04/15 10:48 AM
Veteran
Veteran
BG,

Something else to ponder is that chord progressions by themselves are not copyrightable. It is the melody of the song and signature riffs that occur that attract copyright.

So to do a straightforward backing of, say, C F G7 C is not a problem. If the backing contains signature riffs that identify it as the particular backing of a specific song, then copyright has most likely been infringed.

That's how I understand things, at least.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Noel96 #305374 08/04/15 04:01 PM
B
BIABguy Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
B
Originally Posted By: Noel96
BG,

Something else to ponder is that chord progressions by themselves are not copyrightable. It is the melody of the song and signature riffs that occur that attract copyright...

Regards,
Noel

Yes that's very true too Noel.

BTW I just listened to your recent song 'Just A Little After Midnight' and I found it very touching and straight from the heart. Congrats on a wonderful recording!

BIABguy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,395
Posts732,497
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195