Print Thread
Go To
#307125 08/16/15 01:01 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi,
Lots of work to get BB to play out what I want to hear. Some of this I cut and pasted in Sonar.There are many things I don't like that could have been changed with many hours of effort.

https://soundcloud.com/planobillydfw/re-generation-blues

****** Song Summary *************
Title: Re-Generation Blues in C 60 BPM
File:Re-Generation Blues in C 60 BPM.SGU
Key=C , Tempo 60, Length (m:s)=5:52
No intro. 12 bar chorus, from bar 1 to bar 12. Repeat x7 choruses
Melody has 1268 notes, Melody harmony is < no harmony >(0)
No Soloist track.
Song is saved with Volume, Pan, Reverb, Chorus, Bank0,
Style is _TBLZSLR.STY (TexasBluesRock12-8 Rhythm [60RS])

RealTracks in style: 1922:Bass, Electric, TexasBluesRockSlow12-8 Sw 060
RealTracks in song: 1928:Piano, Acoustic, Soloist TexasBluesRockSlow12-8John Sw 060
RealTracks in style: 1924:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm TexasBluesRockSlow12-8Sol Sw 060
RealTracks in style: 1923:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm TexasBluesRockSlow12-8Brent Sw 060
RealTracks in song: 1925:Guitar, Electric, Soloist TexasBluesRockSlow12-8Brent Sw 060
RealTracks in song: ~675:Organ, B3, Background Blues Monday Sw 065
RealDrums in style: BluesRock128^6-a:Snare, HiHat Loose , b:Snare, Ride
Words
I’m sitting here on my back porch
Singing to the moon, cause BB done told me
I can’t play no cover tunes
Can’t play no Stormy Monday, Can’t play no Albert King
Setting here on the back porch, Thinking what can I sing
You got me posted out, There’s nothing I can use
Now I got the Re-Generation Blues

My door knob keeps on turning
Police must be at my door, They gona lock me up
If I do this any more
I ain’t got no lead in my pencil
My fountain pen is running dry
Can’t write nothing original
No matter how hard I try
Now I got the Re-Generation Blues
They got trade marks on every color
Done copyrighted every line
And if you ask to use it
They will surely decline
They got lawyers guns and money
And many G men too
So if you want to stay out of trouble
You better watch just what you do
Just why I got the Re-Generation Blues

My opinion is neither copyrighted nor trademarked, and it's price competitive. If you like, I'll trade for one of yours...lol

Billy

Last edited by Planobilly; 08/16/15 01:04 PM.

New location, new environment, new music coming soon

Seize the moo-ment
If you feel like you’ve herd all these cow puns before, you probably have deja-moo
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
That was a fun listen. Pretty clever, and nicely done.

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
That was fun, Billy. Clever.

I know that Band! HA!

Your piano guy is a little trill-happy...

Keep 'em coming...

floyd

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Haha, great words and the band sounds almost live and with a few beers inside, perfect for blues!

that got my foot tapping, I love playing and listening to the blues

Alyn

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Billy,

what fun lyrics! And well performed.
I enjoyed this a lot.

Guenter

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
That was fun, Billy. Clever.

I know that Band! HA!

Your piano guy is a little trill-happy...

Keep 'em coming...

floyd

Hi Floyd,

Yep, the piano guy or girl, was more than a little trill happy...lol and was not paying any attention to Mr. Mason's guitar solo..lol

And, herein one discovers the real issue with BB. All the artist are playing with "the band down the street" and are not listening to each other.

From a timing prospective there are in general only three places a note could be placed; behind the beat, on the beat, or ahead of the beat.

Within the limits of what I know how to change electronically, I have no control over Real Drums for example, I could move or replace every note in the bass line or piano line using software like Melodyne and others.

In something simple like this there are four or five hundred measures or more to adjust. That kinda looks like too much work for too little gain.

Band In A Box is a wonderful product to develop ideas quickly, plus several other things that it does very well.

One quickly reaches the limit of re-generation and then is forced to go to other ways of making changes.

Cheers,

Billy

Last edited by Planobilly; 08/17/15 06:48 AM.

Seize the moo-ment
If you feel like you’ve herd all these cow puns before, you probably have deja-moo
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks to all of you, David, Alyn, and Guenter for your kind comments.

People showing up and saying stuff is what makes this site very cool.

Thanks again.

Cheers,

Billy

Seize the moo-ment
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Planobilly
And, herein one discovers the real issue with BB. All the artist are playing with "the band down the street" and are not listening to each other.

This simplest thing to do, once you've got the tracks in your DAW, is to adjust the tracks so there's only one instrument playing lead at a time.

To help with that, I'll generally try to have three tracks each for the guitar and piano:

• Fills
  • Simple playing
  • Held chords

That way, I can bring in an alternate track if I don't want the instrument to drop out entirely, but want it to play more simply so it's out of the way.

What's often most effective is to drop out the other instrument entirely at that point, but it's nice to have options.

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi David,

Really good ideas you have there. I want to give the "three track thing" a try.

Also in the mean time I fired the vocalist, the piano player, and poor Brent...lol

Just played a little "no cliche guitar licks allowed"...lol

https://soundcloud.com/planobillydfw/de-generation-bluesa-short-clip

Billy

Seize the moo-ment
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Billy,

That sounds like a lot of work.
But well, overall this sounds like a band performing late at night in a smoky bar.
And we do like the piano soloist grin

Rob and Anne-Marie

We are Rob Meulman and Anne-Marie Bovenkamp from The Netherlands.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1gsdNLE7_Gy8qavoOplQow/videos
http://rnam.net/

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
"I’m sitting here on my back porch
Singing to the moon, cause BB done told me
I can’t play no cover tunes
Can’t play no Stormy Monday, Can’t play no Albert King
Setting here on the back porch, Thinking what can I sing
Now I got the Re-Generation Blues'

HAHAHA

Very cool production. And, yes, we are blues fans big time.

FWIW, we regen many RT's just to find the "right" few notes
to paste in for a fill or transition. Our arrangements are sparse
and this approach seems to work along with a lot of volume
shaping.

Regarding your comments about the drums and FWIW...each
drum sound is available at the end of the the wav file for each RD.
They are in the respective folders. Forcing rolls and doubling up some of
the drum kit components gives you some control over them.
Thanks to fj and Tom for helping me with this!

Again, cool song and a clever write. We like it and look forward
to more listens via our SC fav playlist!

J&B

User Showcase
C
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
C
Nice tune and for me, the amount of work you have invested so far has been worth it to my ears.

Enjoyed this one.

Charlie

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks to everyone for putting up with the learning curve I am going through with BB.

Rob and Anne-Marie, I guess I have spent my share of late nights in smoky bars…lol…thanks for listening

Charlie, Thank you for commenting, you are a really nice guy who always has something good to say.

Janice & Bud, Thank you guys for the helpful instructions about Real Drums, I just have not learned enough to deal with the drum issue yet, perhaps soon I hope. It is evident in you songs that you guys have developed significant skills both as musicians and users of BB software. Janice, your vocals remind me why I love music.

Band In A Box has been part of a transition from the live world of music to the internet world of music. Putting all the software issues aside, just learning how to communicate and collaborate on line has been daunting. There are no visual cues, no body language, no engineer to lean on, plus the fact that many of my new on line friends speak many other languages, most of which I don’t speak very well, including standard notation…lol

To make matters worse, I have never been “the poster boy for political correctness” I googled it once and became even more confused…lol

This is some of the thinking process I went through trying to get BB to play out something I was looking for.
This was a very standard 12 bar blues progression.
|C|F|C9 Db9|C7|F9|F9|C|C7|G9|F7|C F9|C G7|

The style said Style is _TBLZSLR.STY (TexasBluesRock12-8 Rhythm [60RS]) but the drum line was in 4/4…I assume I could have found a 12/8 drum line somewhere…don’t know

The chords could be almost written but not exactly. To put in what I wanted would require BB to recognize chords in at least eight notes which I understand is something many have been asking for.

The B-3 distortion bugged me enough I did a frequency sweep, found the offending frequency range and pulled it out with EQ, and yes that reduced the dynamic range so it was a tradeoff.

I could have changed the piano line to most anything in Melodyne and a zillion piano riffs exist in BB in any event.

The Brent Mason solo had some T-Bone Walker signature licks, but well….too much rock and not enough blues, changing that would have required jumping through some real hoops…lol

The rhythm guitar parts were actually not too far off what I would have asked of a studio musician.

The vocalist needed to be twenty years younger, classically trained, and quit smoking fifty years ago…lol

All in all, the experiment was a little over my head for the current level of understanding I have of the software, but being a sailor, I never had much fear of jumping into the “deep in of the pool” lollol
Cheers,

Billy

Last edited by Planobilly; 08/18/15 07:41 AM.

Seize the moo-ment
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Hello Billy,

great blues. You're the real guitar king.
I enjoyed the listen.

Hello.
Sergio.

Sergio
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
It's all been said so all that I can add is this is a keeper!

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Billy,

I bet you sang what many of us have thought sometimes. I love cover songs because they give something to compare against and ... I don't have much original material. blush

I admire your full speed ahead and modest attitude. You're very talented and have a good ear and both are apparent in this tune.

Dan, excellent workflow suggestion I've not seen before. Perhaps you should repost in the Tips and Tricks section.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1111) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi Jim,

Thank you for your kind words.

As for covers, every artist should be able to have control over their property.

On the other hand, it would be nice if there was some cost effective way for them to get compensated if I play a cover on the internet. I can go play a cover in a club tonight because the club owner paid a fee so I could do that.

In a lot of ways, the internet has become the "new club".

The answer to all this had to reasonable in terms of money.

Would I pay a dollar to be able to play a cover on some internet site? Yes. Would I pay ten dollars....no

There are huge amounts of money involved in the outcome to all these questions about the internet and copyright issues.

I don't think it will get sorted out anytime soon.

Cheers,

Billy

BTW, I am trying out Dan's ideas ATM.

Seize the moo-ment
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Nice Blues tune Billy. Fun lyrics too. Very well put together.

Mike B.

Music should be part of your life
http://www.soundclick.com/blackcatjazzcafeband
User Showcase
C
Apprentice
Apprentice
C
Billy,

Very entertaining... Your vocal is very good, but I thought it could be just a touch more upfront at times.

Great job!

Last edited by Curt Young; 08/21/15 08:27 PM.
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
I'm glad I stopped in for a listen. Fun lyrics!

I haven't reach my limit in discovering what I can do with BIAB yet and the ride has been thrilling!

Last edited by gruverider; 08/22/15 08:27 AM.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,605
Posts735,009
Members38,514
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
amdwilsns01, Juan Jose, BroDon, Xtian, michael07716
38,513 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 186