Page 1 of 2 1 2
#307983 08/22/15 02:47 PM
User Showcase
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
"Sunset Road" (instrumental)
4 of 7 - Tangled Roots Project

This is the fourth track of my Tangled Roots project. I wanted to try a jazz piece without horns. I have always liked waltzes, so here's one smile

Lead Guitar: 1713: Guitar, Electric, Soloist WesternSwingBrent Sw 165 (Brent Mason)
Rhythm Guitar: 933: Guitar, Electric, Rhythm JazzWaltzFreeComp Sw 110 (Oliver Gannon)
Violin: 1207: Fiddle, Soloist GypsyJazzBallad Sw 110 (Tim Kliphuis)
Electric Piano: 2191: Piano, Electric, Rhythm JazzWaltz Sw 110 (Miles Black)
Acoustic Bass: 929: Bass, Acoustic, Jazz Waltz Sw 110 (Neil Swainson) & 452: Bass, Acoustic, Soloist Jazz Sw 140 (Neil Swainson)
Drums: JazzBrushesWaltz (Craig Scott)
Composition & Arrangement: MW Gilbert

https://soundcloud.com/mwgilbert/tangled-roots-ep-04-sunset-road

Background of the Tangled Roots Project - please see:
http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=306755#Post306755

Previous tracks:
01 - She Looked Back
http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=306755#Post306755
02 - Remember Me When You
http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=307318#Post307318
03 - Peter's Lament
http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=307602#Post307602

Thanks for listening!

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Very moody. Nice work.
Rob

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Michael,

nicely arranged.
I like your project.
Interesting chords.

Guenter

User Showcase
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Thanks to both Rob and Guenter for listening and the kind comments. Yes, it is moody indeed, as was I when I wrote it....

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Interesting.

Without a melody to guide it, there's a sort of "lurching" quality to the piece.

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
User Showcase
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: dcuny
Interesting.

Without a melody to guide it, there's a sort of "lurching" quality to the piece.

True. The limitation (quickly discovered) of attempting something almost entirely in BiaB is that there is no RealTrack in melody (or no melody in RealTrack). Most of the time, inputting MIDI notes (after the fact in a DAW) and trying to make it happen with a VST is never 100% successful.

Of course, one can write the part, and then either play it in, or get a session player to do so. For that matter, one could do the whole piece with session players and not use BiaB.

This project is just - a project. I wanted to see what I could do with my concept JUST using BiaB. It is almost there, but I had to do a lot(!) of post-editing and production.

I played this track for Tim Kliphuis (violin) (who I encounter in other musical orbits) and he more or less said the same thing - why not just get the right players?

Thanks for listening and commenting!

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: mwgilbert

Most of the time, inputting MIDI notes (after the fact in a DAW) and trying to make it happen with a VST is never 100% successful.

First I liked the song. A good mixture of sounds and a good mix.

Second, I respectfully disagree with your MIDI statement. I add MIDI to RTs quite a bit. If your "never 100% successful" statement is true then either you need better sounding VSTis and/or your MIDI or music techniques need improving, no disrespect intended. Getting good sounding MIDI takes time as you must learn how MIDI works and you must have the tools to make it work such as good sounding VSTis and MIDI controllers.

Again I mean no disrespect as I've been there and done that. I will listen to some MIDI stuff that I did a few years ago and man does it suck! I did not have the skills to pull it off. Plus I am still learning about MIDI and music. So much to learn and so little time.

As I said I did like this song.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
User Showcase
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: MarioD

Second, I respectfully disagree with your MIDI statement. I add MIDI to RTs quite a bit. If your "never 100% successful" statement is true then either you need better sounding VSTis and/or your MIDI or music techniques need improving, no disrespect intended. Getting good sounding MIDI takes time as you must learn how MIDI works and you must have the tools to make it work such as good sounding VSTis and MIDI controllers.

Again I mean no disrespect as I've been there and done that. I will listen to some MIDI stuff that I did a few years ago and man does it suck! I did not have the skills to pull it off. Plus I am still learning about MIDI and music. So much to learn and so little time.

Mario,

To clarify:

You, certainly from the tracks of yours I have heard and enjoyed, do have the chops to play a MIDI controller and make it work well.

I, purely as a player, do not. And my current lifestyle is such that I am not likely to acquire them if or until I have lots of practice time. Lots.

So my comments are based on the notation --> MIDI --> virtual instrument concept, and NOT for the moment on the controller --> MIDI --> virtual instrument concept.

For me to write out parts, not just changes, to have them be composed melodic elements that can be combined with the other BiaB elements, will only really work if someone (other than me) plays them interpretively on a controller or the real instrument, either way.

So I do get your point. I just don't have the resources to do it justice smile

Thanks for listening, and the discussion. Always worthwhile!

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: mwgilbert

Mario,

To clarify:

You, certainly from the tracks of yours I have heard and enjoyed, do have the chops to play a MIDI controller and make it work well.

I, purely as a player, do not. And my current lifestyle is such that I am not likely to acquire them if or until I have lots of practice time. Lots.

So my comments are based on the notation --> MIDI --> virtual instrument concept, and NOT for the moment on the controller --> MIDI --> virtual instrument concept.

For me to write out parts, not just changes, to have them be composed melodic elements that can be combined with the other BiaB elements, will only really work if someone (other than me) plays them interpretively on a controller or the real instrument, either way.

So I do get your point. I just don't have the resources to do it justice smile

Thanks for listening, and the discussion. Always worthwhile!

Ok, now I understand and I agree with you.

If you do take the time to input MIDI via notation, the hardest way to input MIDI IMHO, it will still sound very static and not realistic in any way.

I apologize upset you, that was not my intention.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
User Showcase
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast

Ok, now I understand and I agree with you.

If you do take the time to input MIDI via notation, the hardest way to input MIDI IMHO, it will still sound very static and not realistic in any way.

I apologize upset you, that was not my intention.

No worries. No upset.

As I said, I have enjoyed your playing, and respect your input smile

Last edited by mwgilbert; 08/24/15 12:23 PM.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
For me, melody is king.

You've got the form and surface details, but there's no melodic idea that's holding it together. It's like listening to a guitar solos that consists of bunch of licks that are strung together - there are some pleasant moments, but it the end, it doesn't go anywhere.

Getting BiaB to create a cohesive melody with RTs is possible - see this and this for a couple my own attempts. As you've discovered, it required lots of cutting and pasting, stretching and pitch-shifting individual notes, and then looking the other way when the timbre didn't quite match up.

In the end, it's an interesting puzzle of trying to match bits up, but isn't necessarily the ideal way to go about creating a composition.

On the other hand, there are some fantastic sampled instruments available these days. And with some creative editing, it's possible to take an average MIDI instrument and get some surprisingly good results.

But that's just my opinion, and I wouldn't want any of this discourage you from experimenting!

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
User Showcase
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: dcuny
For me, melody is king.

You've got the form and surface details, but there's no melodic idea that's holding it together. It's like listening to a guitar solos that consists of bunch of licks that are strung together - there are some pleasant moments, but it the end, it doesn't go anywhere.

Getting BiaB to create a cohesive melody with RTs is possible - see this and this for a couple my own attempts. As you've discovered, it required lots of cutting and pasting, stretching and pitch-shifting individual notes, and then looking the other way when the timbre didn't quite match up.

In the end, it's an interesting puzzle of trying to match bits up, but isn't necessarily the ideal way to go about creating a composition.

On the other hand, there are some fantastic sampled instruments available these days. And with some creative editing, it's possible to take an average MIDI instrument and get some surprisingly good results.

But that's just my opinion, and I wouldn't want any of this discourage you from experimenting!

And a good opinion. I'm not promoting this as anything other than trying to see what can be done in BiaB, never having used it before this project. I might not use this method to create music for release (albums? Remember them? https://itunes.apple.com/us/artist/michael-william-gilbert/id16739698) as I do use techniques that resemble or include the ones you describe above. And I do use lots(!) of sampled instruments, often combined with a lot of compulsively over tweaked MIDI edits smile

Putting aside the Melodist and Soloist parts of BiaB for the moment, you can give a RealTracks "player" a lead sheet of changes, and an arrangement in the form of bar controls and sections, etc., and the RealTracks "player" (carefully chosen and maybe massaging the audio data afterwards) can come up with a cohesive interpretation and rendition of what you have written. Like a session player.

What you can't do in this model is to write out a melody line or lines and give that to a RealTracks player to "interpret". Like a session player.

Look, I've spent many years playing all kinds of tricks to create music, and I do get that there are no meaningful shortcuts; usually when one tries to take them they turn out to be the long way around anyway...

In a sense, BiaB is a form of algorithmic performance (as opposed to composition, again leaving out the Melodist and Soloist) and it has certainly been fun listening to different musical personalities be superimposed on my changes. I do agree, though, in many situations it isn't necessarily an ideal way to go about creating a composition. In the end it is an interesting puzzle of trying to match bits up, and puzzles can be fun just in the doing.

I don't find your comments the least bit discouraging, and I have enjoyed receiving and thinking about them.

Last edited by mwgilbert; 08/24/15 04:41 PM.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I agree with David, although interesting piece especially by the way you combined the different instruments there is a lack of some "glue" to hold it together. I have fallen into that trap a few times myself. Having said that, I think that in a few occasions I have been able to come up with a midi melody and even soloist using a decent VST in which I was quite happy with the result (modesty aside). BTW David I never heard before the ones you posted as a sample, I'm very impressed with them. I just can imagine the work you put into it, wow!

Mike B.

Music should be part of your life
http://www.soundclick.com/blackcatjazzcafeband
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Enjoyed it. We had a great friend who frequently played gypsy jazz
on his fiddle during some of our jams. We've also listened to our
fair share of Stephane Grappelli.

I slice up and paste RT's for fills and turnarounds and short solos.
I don't think I have the ear or patience to attempt it for an instrumental.

Fun listen.

J&B

User Showcase
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Enjoyed it. We had a great friend who frequently played gypsy jazz
on his fiddle during some of our jams. We've also listened to our
fair share of Stephane Grappelli.

I slice up and paste RT's for fills and turnarounds and short solos.
I don't think I have the ear or patience to attempt it for an instrumental.

Fun listen.

J&B
Thanks for listening and the kind comments!

I will be posting this soon, but here's a little preview:
https://soundcloud.com/mwgilbert/tangled-roots-ep-06-django-in-june

(Django in June is an annual gypsy jazz event in Northampton, MA. As a regular, I have met a few of the RT players on this tune.)

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Hello,

good listening to me.
Hello.

Sergio.

Sergio
User Showcase
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: Sergio Guarneri
Hello,

good listening to me.

Sergio.
Thanks for listening and the comment. It started me listening to your tracks.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I really enjoyed this, great back and forth exchange with instruments, love the sound.

Kenny

User Showcase
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Thanks very much for the listen, Kenny, and the kind comments. I appreciate it!

User Showcase
G
Veteran
Veteran
G
Very interesting listen!! Really interesting and well-constructed music. Arrangement is great. The song always stays interesting. You obviously have a good knowledge of music theory. Enjoyed much! Take care. Greg

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,394
Posts732,478
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195