Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production
J
OP Offline
J
I am currently Rendering MGU Midi Files of Jazz Tunes to Wav files thru Real Drums and Real Tracks. I am then exporting them to a Yamaha AW16G 8 Track and using "several" of these files as "scratch" files, overdubbing the Melody, Soloist and Comping files with my "Guitar" playing.
WHEN
Midi Melody File is replaced with a Real Track instrument the
Melody loses its properties : The Melody is replaced with a
"Real" File (I assume it is switched to a Soloist channel ).
Procedure Steps:
1. Initially set up Song :an MGU in Midi Format
2. Stylepicker to _JFredMS Style : to change Midi to Real Drums
and Real Tracks : the Melody (Ch #4) remains yellow,, i.e. Midi
not Real "green".
3. Play in BiB and Real Tracks sound and Midi Melody sound: OK
4. Go to Melody Track Rt Click : Regenerate Midi Melody as Real Track : Get the Yellow Audition Option : Choose :361 Sax
Replace with Real Instrument
5. Melody no longer present: "Play" and the Sax heard soloing from the beginning of the file thru to the end.(Melody Track Ch#4/ Solo is Ch #8)in Options/Preferences
6. The "Sax" track Not only starts from the first Bar ( 4 Bar intro) : One can not KILL the melody in the Middle Choruses.
It is just an "uncontrolled Solo Track"
7. Attempted to get Melody back : Menu: Melody\EditMelTrack\ Swap Melody and Soloist Track...nothing (possibly it adds a "extra" Midi track)
8. If I check this "extra" Midi track carefully I NOTE : I can "SOLO" the track (Muting all others) and while I see the LED Meter moving I hear NO AUDIO. If Middle Chorus are Killed when the Song gets to Middle Chorus then LED Stops. Seems some kind of signal exists I'm just not hearing it. I don't know if this is the Melody Ch or not.
HOW DO I
1. Create a Real Melody track without losing my Melody
2. And If I do this : can I still KILL the middle choruses
3. If I additionally wanted to ADD a Solo track how might I do this without creating this "deleted" melody problem.
4. Is there any Option to have a Solo track Sound ONLY in the
Middle Choruses as most "Solos" are actually played.

Thanks for whatever help rendered

Veteran
Veteran
It sounds to me like you trying to get "RealTracks" to play the MIDI melody you have already put on your melody track? If so, it doesn't work that way. RealTracks are pre-recorded phrases and when you overlay RealTracks onto the melody track, you will get something completely different (based on the phrases recorded in the RealTracks). RealTracks do not follow a MIDI melody line at all.

By inserting a RealTrack onto the melody track (or any other track), it just replaces the melody track with the RealTrack (as it would on any of the other tracks).

Or have I missed something here?

For solos (on the soloist track), you can generate specific locations. Look at the various options on the Soloist window.

Or you can generate the solo over the entire song, and then you can use the F5 key to mute specific parts at certain bars and then bring them back at a later bar.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
J
OP Offline
J
John Thanks

Will just have to use a MIDI track for the Melody.
A limitation but understood.I'll normalize it.
How do you MUTE a generated SOLO track. If it was a WAV file one would have 'sample accuracy" precision here. I had previously "ported" the file out to Sound Forge and edited there. A bit of pain and a "fear" of losing sync with the other files ( by improper "muting" or deletion to fit the other files) It seems I have to port everything for what I want to do, which is replace several "scratch tracks (Real comp Guitar and Melody + the head) with "MY" Guitar overdubbed. That's the Reason for the 8 Track.
Because my Layla Echo24/96 sound card isn't up to the task in BiB (its fine in Cubase3/5, Sonar8.5 Wave Lab 6, Sound Forge 9 and everything else). I've got 2 multiboot systems and am not about ready to buy 2 new sound card and reconfigure 6 O/S.
I can not use the ASIO drivers and am stuck with MME drivers...so I can't record into BiB in "real Time" due to latency.Offset this and that ??

I'd appreciate some info in how to Mute Solo Tracks. But I still can not understand the rationale for playing Solo tracks across an entire song form. Where they come up with that one I'm quite caught "off guard".

Thanks for the input..bit of Gainesvlle (tho not a football fan) appreciation.

By the way do you know how to avoid the delay in opening BiB directly. It is as if one requires Admin Privieges. My app does not open diectly,
Thanks again just for being there and taking the time

Jason

Veteran
Veteran
Sounds like you have a nightmare of a computing system..

If you're going to do music as a hobby, why not pick one computer, one OS and install a nice external USB based musical interface that runs ASIO and be happy with solid performance?

If you like a melody, freeze it. Drag it into Real Band as the audio or midi track....

If you try to render it to audio using RB, yep, it will not sound the same in that it will not play the same melody. And you can't go the other way either. I had a really nice piano part that RB created and wanted to get the exact midi notes to use my own much better piano synth..... nope.... would not do that.

You need to work on your system so that you can get the sound card to use ASIO. Layla cards are not really what I consider to be ideal (being kind here) for recording. Sure they do the job....kind of.... but there are cards that smoke Layla when it comes to ease of use and functionality and driver compatibility.

You should never have to use MME for recording and playback. The latency is just to much of a PITA as you have discovered.

I have a lappy that runs Vista and MME as the default. It works OK with BB but when I open RB and have synths in there..... it's impossible to work with until I plug in my Focusrite Saffire interface. Then it all works like I expect it to work.

I'm not very familiar with Sound Forge. If it's a full fledged DAW, you should be able to run it with ASIO drivers. I use Sonar. I create the tracks in BB..... song structure... verses, chorus, endings, etc.... then I move over to real band to render the audio for the tracks. I sometimes use the BB tracks as well. I never use melody tracks from either. I EXPORT the audio tracks to a folder and IMPORT them into my Sonar project.

If you want RB to do a sweet solo... choose the SOLO tracks in the instrument of your choice.. as opposed to the rhythm tracks. Render that same track multiple times (as needed) and use the DAW with it's volume envelope function to pick and choose the parts..... same thing for the parts you want to play. Use ENVELOPES to mute the tracks where and when you don't want to hear them playing.

This is what my projects look like. Yellow lines are volume envelopes

Listen to the song THE BEST CHRISTMAS as it has 5 guitar solo tracks and 2 piano tracks done in this very manner.

I hope this helps you a bit.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,605
Posts735,021
Members38,514
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
amdwilsns01, Juan Jose, BroDon, Xtian, michael07716
38,513 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 187