Print Thread
Go To
Woodshedding - Learning to Play!
V
vic Offline OP
OP Offline
V
Hello Folks;

When working with modal tunes in BIAB, e.g. So What, Crescent, India, etc... I find that the accompaniment generated by BIAB tends to be quite straight forward and not terribly interesting.

How do you folks configure BIAB to provide more interesting accompaniment to modal tunes?

Thank you very much,
vic

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: vic
Hello Folks;

When working with modal tunes in BIAB, e.g. So What, Crescent, India, etc... I find that the accompaniment generated by BIAB tends to be quite straight forward and not terribly interesting.

How do you folks configure BIAB to provide more interesting accompaniment to modal tunes?

Thank you very much,
vic

Here is my two cents on the topic.

Capturing a Modal Sound or playing modally requires that, the backing track (chord progression) and the melody or improvisation, target the unique notes which define the mode. In the case of So What, the backing moves over a simple Dm7 chord where Miles plays D Dorian and then goes up a half-step to Ebm7 over which he switches to Eb Dorian. The tough part is you are faced with 48 straight bars of Dm7 before the switch which allows me to get lost and miss the modulation to Ebm7.

Keep in mind, Ebm and Dm do not uniquely specify Dorian, as any other minor mode could be played over this backing. So what is poor BIAB to do with these two simple chords. It doesn’t know you want Dorian all it sees is two minor chords a half step apart. And the two chords just ain’t much to work with. So it can use a Minor Pentatonic or a Aeolian or Phrygian all of which will result in a different vibe.

In my opinion, BIAB does not play modally since you can not specify this unless you define the backing chords to be very specific to identify only the specific unique notes of the mode (for example, natural minor scale with the sixth degree raised a semitone forces a Dorian). So while the midi arrangements may follow this detail, it is unlikely any real tracks will unless you find RT’s by Santana who favors Dorian.
Good luck.

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Journeyman
Journeyman
Hi Vic

As jazzmandan says you need to be specific with the chords over the course of the static harmony.

This involves using chords like D4 throughout the scale on D dorian (which is actually an inversion of Gsus voiced as D, G, C.)
Sequenced throughout the scale you get D4 E4 G4 A4 B4. The C major degree can support a CSus voicing. The F Lydian would have to be B4/F to keep it in a quartal zone.

Thats just for starters. To get something which resembles actual practice you'd have to side slip occasionally within the D dorian framework keeping it anchored to a D pedal point preferably. Here you will have to experiment with short detours to distant key centres coming back to D dorian.

Techniques to try are:
A repeating root progression of minor 3rds or some other interval cycle leading back to D dorian.
Superimposing another distantly related mode on D and using 4 and sus chords

The other thing I'd recommend is trying to use some holds and shots which define a riff or a feeling of three against 4.
Here's how this is done: in a 4/4 style set some bars to 3/4 then input chords in this fashion: (for example) |Csus...bd ^Dsus...bd| Ebsus...bd ^Esus...bd|Fsus...bd ^F#sus...bd| etc etc
This is a good way to build tension.

Later you can get on to using compound voicings, overlays and crunch voicings using BIABs extensive chord list and a novel use of its melody harmony feature. This will give you a later period McCoy sound. I can take you through this stuff if you want but its not for everybody!!

HTH

Alan

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: alan S.
...but its not for everybody!!

HTH

Alan

Hehe, right you are. I follow a bit of that - good stuff grin .

Not sure how much things will sound like "So What", but if the Real Tracks can keep up, it would likely be more interesting crazy

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

V
vic Offline OP
OP Offline
V
Hello Alan;

Thank you for your response!

I understand the music theory you're speaking of, but I'm not a BIAB adept (yet). So, I'd like to take you up on your offer of walking me through the techniques, if I may.

After I finished my list of questions, I saw that it's a bit long - I apologize for the laundry list nature of it. It would be quite understandable for you not to answer all or any of them.

• How to enter poly chords/pedal points like B4/F
  • How to create the "short detours" you mention - is it simply a matter of adding a new chord progression?
  • How to create a repeating root progression
  • How to add holds and shots
  • What does your nomenclature of "|Csus...bd ^Dsus...bd|" mean?
  • I've never heard of a crunch voicing - may I ask what you mean?
  • How does one specify voicings explicitly?
  • Might you explain what you mean by "a novel use of it's melody harmony feature"?

Thank you very much for your time Alan,
vic

Journeyman
Journeyman
Dan

This is a modal/chord change reharm of Invitation using compound chords formed by superimposing voicings on the original triads. You can always find alternative voicings in BIAB for this type of harmony.

Invitation reharmonized

Alan

V
vic Offline OP
OP Offline
V
Hello jazzmandan;

Thank you for your response. Indeed, this is why modal playing is a challenge for anybody/anything that engages in it.

Happily, alan S. seems to have some tricks up his sleeve - if we're lucky he'll drop some more knowledge and we'll all get better at this!

Thank you,
vic

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: alan S.
Dan

This is a modal/chord change reharm of Invitation using compound chords formed by superimposing voicings on the original triads. You can always find alternative voicings in BIAB for this type of harmony.

Invitation reharmonized

Alan

Alan, that was actually cool! smile Thanks for sharing. I know that stuff ain't easy and second it ain't easy in BIAB.

Oh, and I love the key signature.

Journeyman
Journeyman
Originally Posted By: vic

• How to enter poly chords/pedal points like B4/F
  • How to create the "short detours" you mention - is it simply a matter of adding a new chord progression?
  • How to create a repeating root progression
  • How to add holds and shots
  • What does your nomenclature of "|Csus...bd ^Dsus...bd|" mean?
  • I've never heard of a crunch voicing - may I ask what you mean?
  • How does one specify voicings explicitly?
  • Might you explain what you mean by "a novel use of it's melody harmony feature"?

Hi Vic
On pedal points and slash chords; simply right click on a chord and choose chord settings. you'll see a dialog box for pedal bass where you can specify the bass tone, the number of bars its held for and which beat it sounds on.
For slash chords that don't have a bass pedal just type in the chord as in the example above Fsus/B.
Compound chords which are an aggregate of two triads have alternative spellings which yield a voicing supported in BIABs chord list; e.g. Emaj/Cmaj could be rendered as AbmMaj7/C or even at a pinch, G13b9/C.

By short detours I simply mean going out of the mode for a few bars using 4 or suspended chords from other keys returning to the home key. The reference to a 'repeating root progression' is better described as a cycle of chords where the roots are governed by an interval. e.g m3rds Csus Ebsus Gsus Bbsus etc. This is a good way of going 'outside' the key in a logical manner.

Creating holds and shots using the nomenclature described |Csus...bd ^Dsus...bd| is a shorthand way of entering pushes holds rests etc which you can learn about in the guide. The | symbol was just my way of representing a bar line for the purposes of explanation, you don't actually input that.... alternatively you can right click on the chord and under 'chord settings' you are able to specify these variables in the dialogue boxes provided.

A 'crunch' voicing is another word for a chord where the notes are bunched together in close proximity; usually referring to a build up of Major or minor seconds in the voicing.

Specifying particular voicings isn't possible in BIAB when simply typing in a chord.
Voicings are dependent on the notes present in the individual patterns that make up a part within the style. They can also be influenced by global 'embellishment' command which you can cancel within the style editor. (this is the embellishment command that actually works!)
As I said before, you can sometimes achieve a voicing which isn't in the chord list by typing an inversion. e.g. CmMaj7b5#5 ( C Eb F# Ab B ) could be input as Ab7#9/C.

The novel use of the melody harmony feature is something I have referred to in previous posts and would take a while to repeat for a beginner. I'll leave it for a separate answer when i figure out a way of describing it that wouldn't confuse the hell out of you!! grin . Suffice to say that its a way of adding notes to chords and/or achieving chord overlays.

Journeyman
Journeyman
Dan

Thanks! Once you get used to the different sounds of superimposing the original chord over another, then find a way to approximate it using BIABs altered dominant chords, it becomes easier over time.

The main thing is to find uses for all the poly/compound chord voicings that suggest traditional functions of subdominant/ dominant/ mediant etc. but which can also be treated outside of functional harmony when soloing.

I also find that using the original 'vanilla' chords to a song as a starting point works better than a full arrangement full of passing chords and other substitutions.

Alan

V
vic Offline OP
OP Offline
V
Thank you very much Alan S. - I very much appreciate your time and experience.

vic

Journeyman
Journeyman
Vic

You're welcome. I'll post some examples of the above ideas when I have time.

Alan

Expert
Expert
"Fascination"...what a great tune by Branislaw Kaper...

First Jaco's* treatment....then John Coltrane...of "Invitation"...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gv-oNQuMCjE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8eYVN8hAlU

"Invitation" by Carmen McRae, one of my absolute favorite female jazz vocalists didn't she do it so well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LeuPFt0N84

Branislaw also wrote another tune in his "modal-mood" (just kidding)..."Green Dolphin Street"...and so... have you ever heard Sarah Vaughn use her unique skill at vocalize doing this great Kaper tune "scatted"?? I caught her at Mr. Kelly's, in Chicago...my home town... doin' a "modal number" on Dolphin Street:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVjQiXz3FZE

Even old G-Daddy remembers singing it decades ago, accompanying myself on my Roland G-303 Synth Guitar. Just loved this tune!

{tongue-in-cheek}...just trying to stay on topic...sorta!

*JOHN FRANCIS ANTHONY “JACO” PASTORIUS III (1 December 1951, Norristown, PA, USA – 21 September 1987, Fort Lauderdale, FL, USA)

Last edited by GDaddy; 08/25/15 08:34 AM.

Yamaha...Motif ES-8, Motif Rack, CS6X
Korg...Karma,Triton Classic, PA-80, M-1+
AkaiSampler-S5000, Roland.. X5080 Rack/G-1000 Arranger
Various Guitars/Basses Amps Pedals Rec.Equip.

Plus, BIAB 2015 and Sonar Platinum 2015 Upgrade from Cakewalk's Sonar X-3
Veteran
Veteran
Vic, here's the problem with modal stuff and specifically the McCoy Tyner stacked 4ths style. There are no Real Tracks recorded that way. Same with the poly chords like the Steely Dan stuff. That leaves midi styles only. There are no midi styles included with the program with those voicings that I've heard.

But, you can write your own and specify exact chord voicings and rhythm in the style. That's great but then what have you got? You have a style that's only good for So What for example and if you use it for another song, it will sound like So What because of the chord rhythm. The song goes ba da ba da ba da ba da then the two chords Daa Daa. Hard to write that with a regular keyboard but you know what I mean. How many other modal tunes have that chord rhythm?

You're better off writing a midi file or finding one on the internet.

To the comment it's hard to blow a solo for whatever the amount of bars is over one modal chord then hit the change. That's what separates the men from the boys on stage. A master creates a killer solo, going off track, coming back, turning things around yet he hits the change perfectly. The wannabe's get completely lost on what seems like at first glance, a simple two chord tune.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Journeyman
Journeyman
@jazzmammal
As far as getting away from the 'So What' harmonic rhythm issue is concerned the only way to go is to be 'tune specific' using holds, shots and rests. Or else a midi input single note accompaniment counter melody that suggests the tune then using the melody harmony feature to create chord voicings out of that.
The good thing about BIAB is you can approximate a lot of polychords using respellings; inversions of altered dominants over an alternate bass. e.g.Bmaj/Cmaj = F#13susb5b9/C.
If you want to go further than that then just bounce the generated chords to the melody channel and use a one-note melody harmony to add a note to each chord in the sequence. (you need a new chord sheet for that one note though).
A lot of this creates extra work so if you do have a midi file of the tune or even a score you can convert to midi I'd much rather roll my own style that way if possible. But then how much modern repertoire in midi can you find on the net?

Alan

PS Here's an example of an 11/8 modal accompaniment in midi with 'unsupported' chords using holds and rests to get an acceptable result. The tune in question is the Ralph Towner/Oregon classic 'Distant Hills' but using a non-'Oregon' style to get the ECM records version. You'll have to supply the melody though!
If you want I can post the very specific scales Ralph Towner uses for the chords.

Distant Hills

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,560
Posts734,404
Members38,491
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
GlebeGreg, michel vermeulen, Mikanh132, ABE, Nancy Gochnauer
38,490 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 184