Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
A CHORUS?

Time for discussion.... rehashed, new POV... etc....

http://songtown.com/does-your-song-have-to-have-a-chorus/

Saw this and read it.... and ....well. I'm guilty of saying.... YES... if you are trying to write for an artist and want to hear your song on the radio..... then YES, it needs a chorus. So I went and wrote one several years back that violates this rule.

One of my co-write tunes that I really like....

OUGHT TO COUNT

fits this formula... no chorus, just a bridge. I was told by "folks who know" in Nashville that the song has some great verses but the lack of a chorus kills it as being viably commercial.

Discuss this or the topic in general.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Yep I reckon most songs need a chorus (And a good one at that) if for no other reason that the listener will probably learn and sing along with it first, other than the verse.

They say that the mark of a good song is one that your average lorry driver out on his rounds will sing along to, so nice to have a good chorus.

This guy from Louisiana is big on the country scene in Ireland at the moment, lives and gigs here. great singer and knows the songs to pick, check him out on youtube, I love this song great story and chorus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OcP20Q3pAU

I haven't looked up who the writer is yet.

Musiclover

Last edited by musiclover; 08/29/15 06:40 AM.

Musiclover

My music https://www.youtube.com/user/donegalprideofall

Windows 10 (64bit) M-Audio Fast Track Pro, Band in a Box 2024, Cubase 13, Cakewalk and far too many VST plugins that I probably don't need or will ever use smile
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I think we need to define some terms here. TO ME, a bridge is an interlude in the middle of a song. The whole song is considered a chorus. There are many standards that have no bridge, ie: Days of Wine and Roses, Everything I Love, Another You etc. One time through each of these songs is a chorus. A bridge is something included in a chorus. There are many standards that have a verse and a chorus. The chorus may or may not have a bridge in it. Ray

Last edited by raymb1; 08/29/15 07:44 AM.

Asus Q500A i7 Win 10 64 bit 8GB ram 750 HD 15.5" touch screen, BIAB 2017, Casio PX 5s, Xw P1, Center Point Stereo SS V3 and EWI 4000s.
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
In your song, Herb, I'd say the last two lines of each verse could be considered a two line chorus.

Regarding the article:)

'I often get questions about different song forms with the BIG question being “Does my song HAVE to have a chorus.” I always respond, “It’s your song – do what you want.”. The REAL question they are asking is if their song has to have a chorus in order to be commercially viable.'

There's always the exception, but yes, a commercially viable song in this day and age has a chorus.

I usually 'hear' the song and 'see' its form as I start to write it. I may only have a chorus to start with, but I usually know early on how many verses it's going to have, how many choruses, and whether or not there will be a bridge and whether it will modulate.

I have a short song set in the Civil War that has four verses. I sing it acapella. I performed it once in public, at this sort of 'beatnik' open mic deal. It might be viable for a TV show or a movie. Who knows.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Blues.

Off-Topic
J
Expert
Expert
J
OK - for many songs, it's OBVIOUS as hek. But Ray's points about definitions are well taken for me - I've been analyzing pop songs, and I'm learning that I can't always differentiate between the verse, bridge, and chorus in quite a few songs.

Has anyone some examples they would like to discuss in terms of basic definitions (should we use Ray's ?)

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Just piling on here.

Song Parts:

Introduction
Verse
Pre-chorus
Chorus
Bridge
Conclusion
Collision
Instrumental solo
brake
Ad lib

My favorite terms - Intro and Outro

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
In learning cover songs for my set, I was surprised to note that several of Tom Petty's songs don't have any kind of chordal change-up throughout the song. They may alter the melody or insert harmonies, but the same 4 chords in the same order repeat throughout.

Doesn't seem to have hurt his popularity or how well the songs have been received

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Numerous rock tunes use the same chord progression for the verse and the chorus. However, there is a change to the melody in the chorus.

www.herbhartley.com

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
'The Good Stuff' by Kenny Chesney. I don't think it has a definable chorus.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Pat Marr
Tom Petty's songs ....the same 4 chords in the same order

That is EVERY Tom Petty song, THOSE 4 chords. SUCH an overrated performer. Lyrics are just trite, sings through his nose..... Never got him, never got into him....

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
Off-Topic
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
I don't think it is really a song has to have one; but more that you have paid staff writers most of the time writing the songs and so if a format sales they just rinse and repeat. How many times do you hear music today and think before the performer starts singing; that;s so and so, no it;s just the clone factory at work. Some of the biggest song's ever do not have a chorus; Freebird, Stairway to Heaven, Yesterday, Bohemian Rhapsody, but they all come back to the main idea which makes them memorable; plus in all of these songs there is an undeniable and unforgettable haunting melody, They can all be played without any vocals and automatically they are known. which in most songs even the uptempo tunes the lead instruments are what really make the song so memorable. It will be a lead guitar lick, or a piano solo, or group harmony. When people say Van Halen they automatically think guitar, no matter how many #1s they had with vocals. Really the only songs that rely totally on lyrics are Love songs with bare bones instrumentation. Christian music, or message type song. That does not mean the lyrics are not important; but when you look at most #1 songs, it is the melody; that you will hum even when you do not know the words.

My Tunes

Psalm 57:7 My heart, O God, is steadfast, my heart is steadfast; I will sing and make music.
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran

Quote:
The Good Stuff' by Kenny Chesney. I don't think it has a definable chorus.

The first long kiss on a second date.

Yeah, there's clearly defined verses, pre-chorus, chorus, and bridge.

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 08/31/15 02:19 AM.

www.herbhartley.com

Off-Topic
J
Expert
Expert
J
While we're on the topic of song structure - can anyone have some books on the topic of pop songwriting harmony that they found useful (not that all the answers are in the books - but they're a great starting point for me).

In fact, sometimes just having a name for things can help the composition process - I saved jazzman dan's list for that very purpose.

Finally - as Pat mentioned - those songs with the exact same chords used in both verse and chorus - I'm always impressed when I learn that a song that has maintained my interest falls into that category - not so easy to write something so 'easy' and have people like it so much - IMHO.

Off-Topic
J
Expert
Expert
J
BTW Eddie - you're looking quite classy in that picture with the suit.

I happen to be a big Tom Petty fan - I think his lyrics are really fun and the music catchy. Who else do you put in the same category with your feelings about Tom Petty - how about "The Cars" ?

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
If you have a song that has the same progression from the start to the finish.... you can still have well defined verses and choruses.

In the case of a song with the same prog.... you change the melody for the chorus and use notes that are higher in pitch and most listeners will not realize the chord prog is the same.

www.herbhartley.com

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Joe V
While we're on the topic of song structure - can anyone have some books on the topic of pop songwriting harmony that they found useful (not that all the answers are in the books - but they're a great starting point for me).

Here's a list of songwriting books.

I know that Writing Better Lyrics by Pat Pattison is very popular, and I can recommend it.

But Jimmy Webb's Tunesmith: Inside the Art of Songwriting is perhaps my favorite.

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran

I happen to be a big Tom Petty fan - I think his lyrics are really fun and the music catchy. Who else do you put in the same category with your feelings about Tom Petty - how about "The Cars" ?

one of my pet-peeve bands is the SMITHS (even though the guitar player shares my last name)

All of that bands melodies seem to have fewer than 5 notes.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Hi, Joe ! :))

You really don´t have to know a lot of
fancy chords to write a hit or something close to ?
There must be a ton of songs based mostly on three
chords, some that are IMO really outright ingenious
like f.i. Guantanamera (that I useually refer to
as being a tune that uses three chords absolutely
wonderfully. Here is another tune mostly based on
three chords (E,A,B) (ok there are a few more in
the chorus part):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wI83ZJMIx6Y

Cheers
Dani

Last edited by dani48; 08/31/15 12:29 PM.
Off-Topic
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
I happen to be a big Tom Petty fan - I think his lyrics are really fun and the music catchy.

Tom Petty is great! And he has had a fair amount of commercial success I'd say!

Last edited by JohnJohnJohn; 08/31/15 10:43 AM.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,398
Posts732,548
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199