Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
For the different instruments in my band where transposing is necessary (Bb, Eb), I have recently been trying to producing lead sheets of tunes where there are several themes in different keys. I have encountered a problem that I had not noticed previously.

I use the F5 "Edit Settings for Current Bar" and "Key Signature Change to" for introducing key changes into a tune and that does a great job for Concert in all Clefs. When I then use the "Notation Window Options", "Transpose Options" to change to Alto Sax or Trumpet, the notes are transposed but the key signature for everything but the first section stays as it was originally. Sometimes, if I have a four-bar intro, that is the only line that has the correct key signature. The other lines or sections show the same key as the original Concert version.

For instance, on a tune like "Royal Garden Blues" when you have Intro (4 Bars)in F, Theme 1 in F, Theme 2 in Bb, and wish to transpose the tune for a Bb Trumpet. It should be showing keys of G, G, C but it ends up showing G, F, Bb. The notes are transposed but it shows the wrong key after the first theme.

I am wondering if there is something that I misunderstand about how the original key changes are entered. Because I cannot produce printouts showing the correct key for Bb and Eb transpositions as the key changes occur? Or possibly it is the way I am using the Lead Sheet instructions when creating the printouts?

I stress that on a tune with no key changes the transpositions are perfectly notated on the printout.

Grah Jive Talk
"Don't worry baby, they'll swing their arses off."
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
I just wanted to bump this query because maybe it is stupid and people did not want to tell me. blush

Of course, I do know how to produce the printout I need by creating a separate song file, changing the "Concert Key signature of song" and then change the entries in the F5 "Edit Settings for Current Bar". But that is a bit long-winded and, since I need concert, Bb and Eb versions, it creates three versions of each tune that I have to save.

It seems to me that one should be able to create all the printouts required for the different instruments from the one Concert Song File. I find it difficult to believe that no one has encountered this problem previously because tunes with more than one key signature in their form are not that unusual. Or maybe they have not because, like I said, I am doing something wrong?

Grah Jive Talk
Veteran
Veteran
Graham,

I can't help you with this one. I was just playing around with having multiple keys in songs and then using some orchestral transposes. It seems that BIAB is not co-operative in doing this. I suggest you contact Support and see what they say. It could well be that you've reached BIAB's limits.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Thanks for looking at it Noel. I had a discussion with our clarinet player last night and he confirms experiencing the same problem. He uses the same solution as I do. He also smiled and said, "I noticed the problem in some of your other Band-in-a-Box charts and I changed them myself." blush grin

I just wanted to confirm on the forum that there was not an easy fix using the concert file.

I will drop a line to Support to see if they have a better idea.

Grah Jive Talk
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Hi Grah

I checked and got the same result. I'm pretty sure I've seen this before too.
I grabbed a song that went from C Maj to Eb Maj in the chorus. I changed the key to F Maj. The notes and the chords changed (to F and Ab), but the key signature still showed 3 flats in the chorus.

Is that the same problem you are experiencing?

(Actually, I have to think that this might not be too difficult to fix, it might just be an oversight in the code that handles the key transposition, a missing step)

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
2015-09-03_16-57-09.jpg (64.23 KB, 93 downloads)

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Yep, that's the problem. It is compounded if you have an Intro of say four bars and then a section A in the same key, and then a section B in a different key. The key signature in the transposed version is then only correct for the first four bars.

I hear what you say but I think it is rather an obvious thing to have been overlooked. I was thinking more that the limit of what you can do with the existing code has been reached. Believe you me, working with a software company myself, I can appreciate the problem. And software development takes soooo long these days. It is not like the old DOS days at all. grin But I hope you are correct and I am wrong.

Grah Jive Talk
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
I doubt it's due to a limitation in the code. I'd be very surprised.

Anyway, not sure if you contacted them yet, but I've reported it to Support. We can let the others know of any response.

Cheers
Trev

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Thanks Trev, I have now sent an email type advice to Support.

Noting that only Noel and yourself responded on this topic, maybe they will think its an Aussie thing. laugh

What I did add in my email was that I think it is better when Support closely monitors the Forum as the used to, and jumps in with answers where necessary. Peter still comments occasionally but I have not seen anyone from Support for a while.

Callie still realises the importance of the forum with her marketing messages.

Grah Jive Talk
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Thanks Grah

Got an email back from Kent in support. He's aware of your report also and this thread (thanks). He's identifying that your method and my method of transposing are different. I was a little confused with some comments so sent a reply back and I've included a sample song and a number of clarifications, which hopefully will clear up any confusion.

Stand by

Trev

Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Got another detailed reply from the support team.

When a song is transposed using 'Transpose and Set Key Signature', any previous changes made to a key at a particular bar by using F5 don't get transposed. So imagine we have a song written in C, and bar 5 shows Key Signature Change to F. If the entire song is then transposed to F using 'Transpose and Set Key Signature', bar 5 still shows "Key Signature Change to F" (not Bb which I what is had expected).

Therefore, the chart is now unreadable (IMO) as it doesn't show a key change to Bb and doesn't show a Bb or an Eb on the stave. I'm putting in a wishlist item, I hope others give it the tick of approval! The current way is not a bug, but I think it could be improved upon.

Trev

K
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
K
Hi guys,

Just to be clear, the "Transpose and Set Key Signature" method is different from what Graham was doing, which was visually transposing the chords and notation using Notation Window Options.

Graham's method is for transposing leadsheets for non-concert key instruments, and should have adjusted the key changes as expected, as it's a relative change (transpose everything by +2 semi-tones).

"Set key signature" transposes the music and sets the initial key signature to an absolute value (C, F, etc), which can still be overridden by Bar Settings changes (which are also absolute values).

I've passed along a detailed explanation of both issues to the development team, but wanted to clarify on here that they're slightly different. smile

Have a great weekend!

Thanks
Kent
PG Music

L
Veteran
Veteran
L

Thanks Kent!
Appreciate you taking the time to clarify things.
Have a great weekend yourself.

LLOYD S

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,399
Posts732,550
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199