Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: jazzmandan
I have had the distinct pleasure and tremendous opportunity over time to sit in with some jazz groups in small intimate gigs. If I would have pulled out the fake Book it would not have been received well. So I would just Fake it. Maybe times are changin. Just sayin.

I think this brings up a good point and that is it depends on what and whom you are playing with. Small jazz intimate gigs, especially with pro musicians, frown on books on stage. So do rock groups, especially those 'musicians' that jump around the stage like they have ants in their pants.

However acts with a large repertoires may want some help and/or reminders. Our wedding band had a list of 350 songs that we had in one book but we also had fake books just in case. Another reason to learn to read music.

YMMV

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
For newer songs during our band days Janice would tape a card to her old '18 with maybe a one or two word hint for each line of the song. She could get several songs on a file card and she had eagle eyesight. Worked for her.

Bud

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
For newer songs during our band days Janice would tape a card to her old '18

What might "her old '18" be?

I am using the new 1040XTRAEZ form this year. It has just 2 lines.

1. How much did you make in 2023?
2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Notes Norton
If you forget the words, do what the pros do ---- mumble wink

Isn't that exactly what 'scat' was invented for?

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing
(Doo-ah, doo-ah, doo-ah, doo-ah, doo-ah, doo-ah, doo-ah, doo-ah)

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: eddie1261
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
For newer songs during our band days Janice would tape a card to her old '18

What might "her old '18" be?

1943 D-18 Martin

Off-Topic
J
Expert
Expert
J
"The bigger problem for a lot of us as we age (include me in this sentiment) is that the teleprompter needs to be on the Jumbotron for us to read it"

I think within Eddie's lifetime Google Glass will solve his problems with size of text - if they could just make it look like a cool pair of sunglasses - nobody has to know !!! The glasses even move with your body - so think about how much more natural you can be on stage !!!

Off-Topic
jeffgee Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Wow yes you folks seem to be from the same school of thought that I am. Put on a good show, have a memory jogger if forgetfulness or nervousness is present.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Hi, in the genré of barbershop singing
you´ll never see any notes or words
distracting the contact with the audience !

I have to admit, though, that singing
in a quartet or chorus gives you the
necessary confidence as it is unusual
that all singers runs out of words
simultaneously !

The immediate eye contact with
your audience is important as
you can´t convey emotions as good
othervise ?

Cheers
Dani

Off-Topic
J
Journeyman
Journeyman
J
When playing at retirement homes I realize that I need to split the computer screen between BIAB and lyrics, from a separate program.
The reason being that the thought of that age group knowing the lyrics better than me is a strong possibility wink

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Joe V
I think within Eddie's lifetime Google Glass will solve his problems with size of text

They better hurry. I'm 64!!

I am using the new 1040XTRAEZ form this year. It has just 2 lines.

1. How much did you make in 2023?
2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
ROG Offline
Veteran
Veteran
It's not much of a discussion when everyone's in agreement, so I thought I'd take the other side...

1) I've never seen a professional concert pianist use music. A lot to remember there, so it can be done.

2) Any form of prompt ties you to one spot on the stage - movement is part of performance and helps create atmosphere. We saw Tina Turner live only a few years ago when she was 69. There's no way she could do that act with a teleprompt.

3) If you have to concentrate on reading the words, it takes away some of the concentration you could be putting into the performance.

I realise I'm well outnumbered, here, but just sayin'...

ROG.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Rog, they're all good and noteworthy points too.
The single difference might be that these are generally big acts, big shows, big expectations and come at a (usually big) price.
Nevertheless, all valid points.
Trev

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I think there is a disconnect in terminology here. Big name “artists” like Streisand, Springsteen, etc. have dozens of people running sound, lights, and pyro. They have people that tune their guitars. They also have an audience who came to see them specifically. It's a world apart from banging out covers in a raucous pub.

We've been using a computer onstage for years, and I have never had anyone complain that it was cheating.

IMO, when you're using tracks, the worst thing that can happen is not forgetting lyrics- it's getting out of sync with the tracks. Talk about a nightmare.

Regards,

Bob

Last edited by 90 dB; 09/02/15 03:43 AM. Reason: Just for fun
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: 90 dB
I think there is a disconnect in terminology here. Big name “artists” like Streisand, Springsteen, etc. have dozens of people running sound, lights, and pyro. They have people that tune their guitars. They also have an audience who came to see them specifically. It's a world apart from banging out covers in a raucous pub.

We've been using a computer onstage for years, and I have never had anyone complain that it was cheating.

IMO, when you're using tracks, the worst thing that can happen is not forgetting lyrics- it's getting out of sync with the tracks. Talk about a nightmare.

Regards,

Bob

Well said, the only thing I will add is that they also do the same tunes in the same order on every show for years in some cases. Plus in an hour show they may do 10 - 15 of these repeated songs at best.

I see it occasionally from the so called "purist" on one of the eConcert venues I play. A remark here and there about how some performers/me rely to much on tracks and a monitor to read music and lyrics. Then I see that same "purist" do the same 1 hour show every day playing the same 10 - 12 songs in the same style and tempo and strumming pattern. Hell, if you do the same show everyday all of your life you should never need a monitor or sheet music.

Just my 2 cents.

Later,

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
The real question at hand here is whether or not to let other people make your decisions for you.

Obviously, if you're up to the task, don't use any kind of prompts. There's no doubt that looks better, and will make the most favorable impression (assuming you don't screw up.)

But if you have a desire to play music in front of audiences, and you DON'T have the memory to pull it off... you basically have to choose between doing whatever it takes to make it possible...

... or give in to the nay sayers who pronounce that your plan isn't viable. I think the road to a frustrated existence is travelled mainly by people who willingly surrender their autonomy to public opinion.

As I look back over my life and consider the difference between people who accomplished things and those who didn't... it was far less a difference in ability than it was a difference in self-confidence. Those who were afraid of public opinion would never put their heads on the chopping block long enough to go through the necessary learning curve.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Danny C.
I see it occasionally from the so called "purist" on one of the eConcert venues I play. A remark here and there about how some performers/me rely to much on tracks and a monitor to read music and lyrics. Then I see that same "purist" do the same 1 hour show every day playing the same 10 - 12 songs in the same style and tempo and strumming pattern. Hell, if you do the same show everyday all of your life you should never need a monitor or sheet music.

Just my 2 cents.

Later,

hahahahhaa! Danny, I know exactly who you are talking about, and you NAILED it!

Off-Topic
ROG Offline
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Pat Marr

Obviously, if you're up to the task, don't use any kind of prompts. There's no doubt that looks better, and will make the most favorable impression (assuming you don't screw up.)

But if you have a desire to play music in front of audiences, and you DON'T have the memory to pull it off... you basically have to choose between doing whatever it takes to make it possible...

Thanks, Pat. I think that about sums it up for me.

The only rider I would add is that amongst those who choose not to learn the words and chords, I believe there are two groups - those who simply can't and those who won't bother putting in the time and effort it takes.

ROG.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I did vocal coaching for a while and we did concerts every term. We weren't allowed any prompts. If we messed up we messed up. I think most people can learn to perform without prompts. (Having said that some people forgot their lyrics a lot more than others). BUT we were expected to learn a song over FOUR WEEKS and never to work on more than two songs at a time!

I am simply too impatient. If I can't learn a song in half an hour I am not interested. I usually use scrolling lyrics with chords in them on my iPhone. I have a little gadget that attaches to my mike stand. This all helps me get up to speed very quickly and at least to a stage when I can perform the songs in public. I find the more I play the songs in public the less I need the prompts.

Next year I am planning to perform at the Grahamstown arts festival, doing the same set of songs for 50 minutes everyday for a week. I will definately not use any prompts for that.

LyricLab A.I assisted chords and lyric app. Export lyrics and import directly into Band-in-a-Box 2024.
https://lyriclab.net
Play-along with songs you know and love, download SGU files
https://playiit.com/
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: JosieC
I have a little gadget that attaches to my mike stand. This all helps me get up to speed very quickly and at least to a stage when I can perform the songs in public. I find the more I play the songs in public the less I need the prompts.

Indeed, part of this discussion is a "which came first, the chicken or the egg?" consideration. I find that practice decreases my dependency on visual aids... but time in front of an audience is a necessary part of that practice. and it's something you can't get from practicing at home.

The visual aids give me the confidence I need to face an audience. If the material had to be completely memorized before I got on stage, at age 62 that would effectively undermine my goal of performing. Ever.

I don't want to end up as one of those people who practices forever and never performs.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Pat Marr

I don't want to end up as one of those people who practices forever and never performs.

Indeed Pat! This is something we definitely don't want. I played with a guy once. We practiced once a week, every week for a whole year and at the end of that year we had about 12 songs and still not a single gig in sight! Plus we had all the aids for backtracks and lyrics etc.Gave up on that one after that. As I said, I am not the most patient person on earth.

Last edited by JosieC; 09/03/15 02:37 AM.

LyricLab A.I assisted chords and lyric app. Export lyrics and import directly into Band-in-a-Box 2024.
https://lyriclab.net
Play-along with songs you know and love, download SGU files
https://playiit.com/
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,581
Posts734,680
Members38,499
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai
38,499 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200