Print Thread
Go To
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
G
gcb Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Hi all this is my first post here.

After installing Windows 10 I get no sound from BIAB. The follow message appears:

"Output driver is installed properly but is currently in use by another program."

Hope someone can help me.

My version is Band in a Box 12 Pro version.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by gcb; 09/07/15 11:43 AM.
Journeyman
Journeyman
Can you give some more info? If you go to "Opt" and the MIDI/Audi Driver Setup - What are you set for?

Jan - 12 Core AMD Ryzen 9 3900X
32GB DDR4
Win 10 64-bit
Samsung m.2 SSD Boot drive,other SSD internal and USB drives.
MOTO 2
Ketron SD4,SD1000
Yamaha RX-v381amp
VB-Audio virtual cables
Veteran
Veteran
Maybe:
Your ASIO driver is occupied and it can only handle one app at a time and BIAB is not it. Switch to MME in Audio settings and you should hear sound. Then figure out what application is grabbing you ASIO.

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Veteran
Veteran
I don't know what it is, but it has happened to me too and i use exclusively MME and don't have W10 installed. I normally shut off the program and start again.

Mike B.

Music should be part of your life
http://www.soundclick.com/blackcatjazzcafeband
Veteran
Veteran
Welcome to the forum.

First, it should reassure you to know that BIAB runs fine under Windows 10. I've been doing it and PG Music has tested and confirmed this.

PG Music has that error message listed in three FAQ answers. Try looking at these. They are out of date and mostly deal with an old MIDI software synth, but perhaps you will see something:

http://www.pgmusic.com/techfaq37.htm#141
http://www.pgmusic.com/techfaq37.htm#111
http://www.pgmusic.com/techfaq37.htm#76

We also need to know what you are using for MIDI sound, and what your BIAB settings are as mentioned above. I would have thought the "ASIO limited to one output" was the correct answer.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
L
Expert
Expert
L
I've now got the same problem with my Zoom UAC-2 drivers. Logged on tonight and wham no sound, drivers don't exist. No idea why. Stuffed. Just wasted 3 hours installing and uninstalling audio interface drivers. Making sure Zoom disconnected, switched off etc. Windows 10 doesn't recognise it any more. Brand new USB 3 hardware audio interface. New PC etc. Last time it happened I just reinstalled the drivers. eek mad Nothing to do with BIAB (lol).

Last edited by lambada; 09/08/15 05:28 AM.

Windows 10 Home 20H2 Build 19042.487
BIAB 2021 (Build 818)
Intel(R) Core(TM), i3-4160, CPU @3.60 GHz RAM 16 GB, 64 Bit X64-based processor
Zoom UAC-2 (USB 3 interface-built in midi)
VoiceLive 3 Extreme, Sputnik Valve Condenser Mic
G
gcb Offline OP
OP Offline
G
PhillyJazz,Jazzmandan, CubanPete, MattFinley and Lambada many thanks for the replies. Very knowledgeable and kind people here will explore the different replies and report.

Veteran
Veteran
I had to reinstall a driver this morning. The device isn't even showing up. I suspect a Windows 10 update, since nothing else changed.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
G
gcb Offline OP
OP Offline
G
I am prompted to "Set an alternate output driver..."

then I click "Ok use alternate driver..."

but the only option that appears is Microsoft GS Wavetable

so again a message appears: "unable to install alternate midi output driver Microsoft GS...it may be in use by another programme..."

G
gcb Offline OP
OP Offline
G
It was not showing up also on my computer. It reappeared but still no sound.

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: gcb
I am prompted to "Set an alternate output driver..."
then I click "Ok use alternate driver..."
but the only option that appears is Microsoft GS Wavetable

I believe "Microsoft GS Wavetable" is your MIDI output driver and is not the optimum selection choice. What were you using in the past as you output synth for midi? BIAB, if specified, can install the Coyote GM synth which is a better option. confused

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Hi GCB,

Try running this patch.... it fixes a bug with the Coyote synth on Windows 10. I'm not sure if you're using that synth, but it's no harm to run the patch. (if you are using the Coyote GM synth, you can then choose it as a synth instead of MS GS Wavetable driver.

http://www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#CoyoteWT12

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.
Veteran
Veteran
Just restarted after Windows 10 updates with no issue. Sound works fine (AKAI EIE Pro).

Cheers,
Mike

My Music * Asus ROG Strix G15CF 32 GB DDR4 4TB HDD + 1 TB SSD NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 8GB Win 11 AKAI EIE PRO Sound Interface. BIAB/RB 2024 UltraPak Build - Latest
Veteran
Veteran
Mike, to close the loop so we know better how to help the next person: did you apply the patch given by Dr. Gannon? Or are you saying Windows Update alone cured this?

If it's the latter, be aware that simply rebooting may have fixed it, regardless of the update. With multiple variables, it's always hard to draw a conclusion.

Or - are you reporting that you never had this problem despite several Windows 10 updates?

Veteran
Veteran
Sorry, Matt. I should have been more specific. I never had this issue. I saw your note about having to reinstall a driver after a Windows Update. So, I rebooted after applying the updates and I am functioning just as well as I did BEFORE the Windows 10 Updates.

In summary: no issues before the updates, none after applying the updates.

Cheers,
Mike

My Music * Asus ROG Strix G15CF 32 GB DDR4 4TB HDD + 1 TB SSD NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 8GB Win 11 AKAI EIE PRO Sound Interface. BIAB/RB 2024 UltraPak Build - Latest
Veteran
Veteran
Thanks Mike. Very clear, and great to hear!

G
gcb Offline OP
OP Offline
G
It did not function but thanks anyway for helping.

PG music online service explained that my BIB version 12 pro from 2003 has a compatibility problem and suggested to download Coyote.
But then I found a simple solution: there is a free program,CoolSoft Virtual Midi Synth which I installed and solved the problema.

I am getting sound now from my old BIAB.

L
Expert
Expert
L
For what it's worth, I got my sounds back in Windows 10 on my interface. I unplugged the USB 3 connection to the zoom UAC-2 on the computer (as the manual says!) then uninstalled the drivers for the Zoom UAC-2 audio interface and the Zoom software, as well as any other audio drivers Windows would let me zap. Then I rebooted and re-installed the Zoom software and rebooted. Then connected the Zoom USB 3 connection, switched it on and rebooted the computer. All working fine again. I just hope tonight when I switch the PC back on it still all works. I've got harmonies and guitar coming in stereo to the zoom via a Voicelive 2 vocal processor which the zoom mixes with the BIAB backing tracks via its loopback function. Good sound. Just need to tweak the Voicelive 2 as a find it a bit overbearing and some of the settings are less than practical. I drive the harmonies from an acoustic guitar although previously I drove the harmonies via midi from BIAB which also worked well. The Zoom has a midi interface as well as the two audio interfaces, so it's pretty straightforward. Live I'll probably drive the voice live from guitar or mp3.

Windows 10 Home 20H2 Build 19042.487
BIAB 2021 (Build 818)
Intel(R) Core(TM), i3-4160, CPU @3.60 GHz RAM 16 GB, 64 Bit X64-based processor
Zoom UAC-2 (USB 3 interface-built in midi)
VoiceLive 3 Extreme, Sputnik Valve Condenser Mic
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,585
Posts734,719
Members38,500
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai
38,499 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 196