You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#311090 - 09/20/15 04:17 PM [User Showcase] Trouble In Mind
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Loc: GA USA
Trouble In Mind

Trouble in mind is a public domain song* that has been recorded by hundreds of artists (from Janis Joplin to Johnny Cash). We played it with our bluegrass band years ago and thought it would be fun to do a more bluesy version now that BiaB has given us such a fine array of bands smile We chose a minimalist arrangement with a bit of a mashup regarding RT and RD choices. Like so many of these traditional songs many of the verse variations are a bit vague and rhyme schemes are sketchy but we tried to select some verses (of the many) that hung together somewhat.

As always we appreciate your time to listen and we appreciate any and all comments.

J&B

Vocal: Janice
Drums: Nashville Shuffle
Bass: 2435 New Orleans Shuffle
Guitar: 2436 New Orleans Shuffle
Piano: Comped from multiple generations of 2124 Country Shuffle Rhythm and 2123 Country Shuffle Solo
Bud: Mix/Master/Effects via Logic Pro X, Nectar 2, Ozone 6 and Waves LinMB

Trouble In Mind

I felt like laying my head
On some lonesome railroad line,
And letting the 219 train
Ease my troubled mind.

Trouble in mind, Lord I'm blue
Honey I won't be blue always,
The Sun's gonna shine in my,
Shine in my back door someday.

I'm goin' down to the river,
Gonna take me a rockin' chair.
And if these blues don't leave me,
I’ll rock on away from here.

Trouble in mind, Lord I'm blue
Honey I won't be blue always,
The Sun's gonna shine in my,
Shine in my back door someday.

I'm all alone, I'm alone at midnight,
The lamp is burnin low
I never had so much trouble
In my whole life before

Trouble in mind, I’m blue, now,
I won't be blue always.
That wind's gonna come,
It's gonna blow my blues away

Yeah, that wind’s gonna come
It’s gonna blow my blues away

© 2015 Trad Arr Janice & Bud Merritt

*Archive.org

www.janiceandbud.com
J&B Website

#311093 - 09/20/15 05:10 PM [User Showcase] Re: Trouble In Mind [Re: Janice & Bud]
Charlie Fogle Offline
Veteran

Loc: South Carolina
While Janice is singing "trouble in mind" I'm singing "A new bass I've found" -- Wow, that 2435 New Orleans Shuffle bass really rocks along. Shamelessly stealing your bass player man, offered him $5 more a gig and a six pack of beer to take home.

And the song, great performance, arrangement, mix and production. Enjoyed this one. Excellent at every level.

Charlie

#311117 - 09/20/15 11:14 PM [User Showcase] Re: Trouble In Mind [Re: Janice & Bud]
gibson Offline
Veteran

Loc: wales
Janice and Bud,

What a song to start my week, I hope it is prophetic as I sure need "that wind that's gonna come" in about 3 hours crazy . I need sumpin' for the coming weeks for sure. smile

Anyway at the first few listens the change of tempo at 21secs threw me with the plosive at the start of the word trouble, In my ears it sounded like a bit of a vicious edit BUT at subsequent listens it got better laugh . Wish I could have put the song on repeat tho' grin

Janice soon settled into her normal exquisite vocals at every listen.

Your version stands up proud with Nina Simone's and Johnny Cash's versions and is better than Janis Joplin's version IMHO.

A good way to spend 2.18.

An excellent version and "the band" played good!

Alyn

#311121 - 09/21/15 12:57 AM [User Showcase] Re: Trouble In Mind [Re: Janice & Bud]
PeterF Offline
Veteran

Loc: Sydney Australia
I think I'd borrow the piano player as well.
All sounds great and agree with Charlie it's excellent at every level.

#311134 - 09/21/15 05:27 AM [User Showcase] Re: Trouble In Mind [Re: Charlie Fogle]
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: c_fogle
While Janice is singing "trouble in mind" I'm singing "A new bass I've found" -- Wow, that 2435 New Orleans Shuffle bass really rocks along. Shamelessly stealing your bass player man, offered him $5 more a gig and a six pack of beer to take home.
And the song, great performance, arrangement, mix and production. Enjoyed this one. Excellent at every level.
Charlie

Thanks Charlie! With our original arrangement Janice was going to play rhythm mandolin and I was going to dust off the bass fiddle and play a walking line. But the acoustic solo sw RTs were a bit too country for the sound we wanted; however, I stumbled into the NO guitar and bass and it changed the whole approach to the song. Yep, it's a great bass RT and even has a slight tuba feel. And with BiaB you can have the bass man on the cheap and he'll always be on time.

J&B
J&B Website

#311152 - 09/21/15 09:36 AM [User Showcase] Re: Trouble In Mind [Re: Janice & Bud]
boehm Offline
Veteran

Loc: Karlsruhe, Germany
Hi Janice & Bud,

great band and great singer!
An excellent production.
Very enjoyable listen.

Guenter

#311225 - 09/22/15 12:49 AM [User Showcase] Re: Trouble In Mind [Re: Janice & Bud]
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Australia
Hi Janice and Bud,

Janice, your vocal-only introduction is brilliant. There's nothing quite like launching straight into vocals to grab attention. VERY impressive.

Bud, the mix is magnificent, perfect. I can't imagine any better framework than the instruments you used. You really know how to get the best out of Realtracks.

In a phrase... exceptional in every way!

All the best,
Noel

#311256 - 09/22/15 06:55 AM [User Showcase] Re: Trouble In Mind [Re: gibson]
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: gibson
Janice and Bud,

What a song to start my week, I hope it is prophetic as I sure need "that wind that's gonna come" in about 3 hours crazy . I need sumpin' for the coming weeks for sure. smile

Anyway at the first few listens the change of tempo at 21secs threw me with the plosive at the start of the word trouble, In my ears it sounded like a bit of a vicious edit BUT at subsequent listens it got better laugh . Wish I could have put the song on repeat tho' grin

Janice soon settled into her normal exquisite vocals at every listen.

Your version stands up proud with Nina Simone's and Johnny Cash's versions and is better than Janis Joplin's version IMHO.

A good way to spend 2.18.

An excellent version and "the band" played good!

Alyn

Thanks Alyn and we hope things are going well with you. FWIW, I don't hear the pop on trouble but I have very old and worn out ears smile I use a breath controller on Janice's vocals to reduce (not eliminate) the breath intake before lines so I'll check to see if it is clipping the first nanosecond of the word. Dunno...but glad that you liked it!

Bud
J&B Website

#311260 - 09/22/15 07:18 AM [User Showcase] Re: Trouble In Mind [Re: Janice & Bud]
gibson Offline
Veteran

I wish I had never mentioned it now mad blush because at each play it gets better! weird or what but now it is ok. Maybe my ears need looking at smile Although I have noticed that the vol control on my computer was at 100% when I normally have it at 75 or less.
Anyway still an excellent version.

Alyn

#311278 - 09/22/15 09:22 AM [User Showcase] Re: Trouble In Mind [Re: gibson]
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: gibson
I wish I had never mentioned it now mad blush because at each play it gets better! weird or what but now it is ok. Maybe my ears need looking at smile Although I have noticed that the vol control on my computer was at 100% when I normally have it at 75 or less.
Anyway still an excellent version.

Alyn

No need to wish that at all! We are always open to mix comments. I backed off on the breath controller and up the gain of the track 2db and uploaded the new version. Thanks!

J&B
J&B Website

#311282 - 09/22/15 09:42 AM [User Showcase] Re: Trouble In Mind [Re: Janice & Bud]
JoanneCooper Offline
Veteran

Loc: South Africa
This is quite exquisite Bud and Janice. What else to say?

#311285 - 09/22/15 09:54 AM [User Showcase] Re: Trouble In Mind [Re: Janice & Bud]
Pat Marr Offline
Veteran

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
The acapella intro really highlights the quality of Janice's voice!

... clear as a mountain stream's water

... sweet as a clover field's honey

... pitch perfect as um.. as perfect as Janice's voice! (that's the best example I can come up with for perfection!)

Apologies if all my comments sound the same for your songs, but I have a limited vocabulary in terms of superlatives. I use my whole stash on every song!

Bud, I hope you already know how highly I esteem the many talents you bring to all of your projects! Your skill in mixing, RT choices, song research, lyric writing etc etc have been proven over and over again!

Congratulations to both of you on yet another piece of well-produced ear candy!

#311326 - 09/22/15 04:16 PM [User Showcase] Re: Trouble In Mind [Re: Janice & Bud]
gruverider Offline
Expert

Welcome to N'awlins! Janice your voice really rocks this style and Bud another great production.

A wonderful listen on a September afternoon!

#311327 - 09/22/15 04:18 PM [User Showcase] Re: Trouble In Mind [Re: PeterF]
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: PeterF

Thanks Peter and I appreciate you mentioning the piano. I spent a fair amount of time trying to get the rhythm and solo RT's working well together.

J&B

Edited by Janice & Bud (09/22/15 04:18 PM)
J&B Website

#311331 - 09/22/15 04:40 PM [User Showcase] Re: Trouble In Mind [Re: Janice & Bud]
Rob4580 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Murgon Queensland Australia
You guys must have a factory. You just keep knocking these great song out.
Excellent of course.
Rob

#311355 - 09/22/15 07:28 PM [User Showcase] Re: Trouble In Mind [Re: Janice & Bud]
Charlie Fogle Offline
Veteran

Loc: South Carolina
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud

Thanks Peter and I appreciate you mentioning the piano. I spent a fair amount of time trying to get the rhythm and solo RT's working well together.

J&B

I knew coming out the gate I couldn't afford THAT piano player! Bass players are plentiful but when you find that special pianist, you know there's also a special price to get em..... I'm too old to help lugging a piano around anyway.

#311357 - 09/22/15 08:10 PM [User Showcase] Re: Trouble In Mind [Re: Janice & Bud]
gibson Offline
Veteran

No need to wish that at all! We are always open to mix comments. I backed off on the breath controller and up the gain of the track 2db and uploaded the new version. Thanks!

J&B

Don't thank me, I thank both of you for that song, which is my anthem now! I play it every morning as I have linked to that soundcloud page!

Anyway I'm gonna rock away from this thread!!
Well after one more listen blush grin

Alyn

#311370 - 09/23/15 02:31 AM [User Showcase] Re: Trouble In Mind [Re: Charlie Fogle]
PeterF Offline
Veteran

Loc: Sydney Australia
Originally Posted By: c_fogle

J&B

I knew coming out the gate I couldn't afford THAT piano player! Bass players are plentiful but when you find that special pianist, you know there's also a special price to get em..... I'm too old to help lugging a piano around anyway.

Well my backs not up to it either trying to keep the arthritis at bay

#311380 - 09/23/15 07:13 AM [User Showcase] Re: Trouble In Mind [Re: Janice & Bud]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Loc: Florida
Man! I could listen to that opening over and over and over!

In fact, I did. Heaven.

I cannot imagine a better treatment for this song. Nice work, Bud - truly. You need to get a YouTube video out there, so that when people search for this song by others, they find yours, too. It ought to become the standard for "how to do this one".

floyd

#311395 - 09/23/15 09:16 AM [User Showcase] Re: Trouble In Mind [Re: boehm]
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: boehm
Hi Janice & Bud,

great band and great singer!
An excellent production.
Very enjoyable listen.

Guenter

Thanks Guenter. We always look forward to your comments.

J&B
J&B Website

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

PG Music News
User Tip - Band-in-a-Box® to Reaper: The Basics

Forum user DeaconBlues09 has created a video to demonstrate how easy the process is for them to streamline their workflow with DAWs, particularly Reaper - check it out: click here to watch.

Join the forum discussion.

Train Your Brain with Band-in-a-Box®

National Train Your Brain Day is October 13th!

Open your Band-in-a-Box® program, and you'll find the [Practice] button in the toolbar - it's a GREAT resource!
Minimized your toolbar? Head to Window | Practice Window or ALT SHIFT L to access

In this window, you'll find many options to help you practice, including Ear Training games, access to the Chord Builder and Chord Subs, some helpful tools within the Playalong Features menu, and more!

Train Your Brain with Band-in-a-Box® today!

Band-in-a-Box Patch Updates - #TechTuesday

Visit our Patches & Updates page, and you will see that with every version released, there are 2+ patch updates applied to that version.

Patch updates are important, and should definitely be installed to your BB folder. They can add new features, update the help resources of the program, fix bugs reported by users, and make your entire Band-in-a-Box experience run smoothly!

Band-in-a-Box update options can be adjusted within the program too - within Band-in-a-Box for Mac, head to Band-in-a-Box | Check for Updates | and then you can select to automatically check for updates by however many days you choose!

Xtra Styles PAK 5 Contest - Listen to All the Entries!

Our Xtra Styles PAK 5 Contest is over, and the winners have been announced - congratulations again to forum users fiddler2007, rodipoet, Will Josef, and Ezekiel's Storm!

And, a BIG thank you to everyone who entered their songs on our contest - WOW what a great list of songs! We've arranged all the song entries into one simple list, if you'd like to listen to all the entries click here.

Congratulations Xtra Styles PAK 5 Song Contest Winners!

Thank you again to everyone who submitted their songs to our Xtra Styles PAK 5 Song Contest - 59 entries in total!

As always, we were blown away with every song entered! We truly enjoy listening to what everyone comes up with using Band-in-a-Box!

Our judging team listened to all the songs, and choosing the winners wasn't easy... some of the things taken into consideration were the quality of the composition, Xtra styles used, use of program features within the song, and originality - and we're now ready to announce the winners!

The Winners are:

I Will Be Your Doggie Listen to the song here
Artist/Forum User: fiddler2007
Xtra Style used: _WILDONE
Original Forum Post

Jazz:
Wie zingt verjaagt zijn pijn (He who sings expels his pain) Listen to the song here
Artist/Forum User: rodipoet
Xtra Styles Used: _SILKY
Original Forum Post

MIDI:
Child of the 70s Listen to the song here
Artist/Forum User: Will Josef
Xtra Style Used: HORIZON
Original Forum Post

Rock-Pop:
Hide it Away Listen to the song here
Artist/Forum User: Ezekiel's Storm
Xtra Style used: _CHEATED
Original Forum Post

Congratulations everyone!

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows: Making Songs

Visit Chapter 6: Making Songs in our online Band-in-a-Box 2018 for Windows User's Guide, and you'll learn (or be reminded of) all the different steps you could take for creating your own song using Band-in-a-Box®!

Learn about naming your song, choosing a key, setting the tempo, chord entry, and more! There's even information for more advanced use! Read about Song Settings (endings, tags, style variations, pushes, rests, and chord embellishments), Part Markers, Substyles, Song Form, applying Styles, using RealTrack/RealDrums, importing MIDI, and chord entry - just to name a few!

Holiday Hours - Monday, October 8th

Monday, October 8th is Canadian Thanksgiving!

Our Holiday schedule that day is:
Customer Service: 8:00AM to 4:00PM PST
Technical Support: Closed

We will be back to our regular schedule Tuesday, October 9th.

Forum Stats
28068 Members
57 Forums
54395 Topics
449584 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
KeithR, Andreu Casado, Ozzoid, jabba, RickSC

28067 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Alyssa - PG Music 215
David Snyder 160