Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Yeah I really need a favor from everyone here....So let me explain.

Last year my wife and I adopted a precocious little German Shepard girl named Lilly. She was a rescue pup at 4 months of age.

I started working with Lilly on basic obedience. She came along nicely and accompanies me everywhere I can reasonably take her. The clerks in Lowes know her name but not mine.

Around the spring of this year, we started working and training her in search and rescue for human remains. SAR/HRD We work with this group: http://www.nccert.org/nc-cert-presents-powerful-video-about-search-and-rescue/ Check out the website and the video.

She absolutely loves this work. You should see her when I give her the command to go search.... she knows it's coming and she's so excited.

Everyone on the team is a volunteer. Everything we do is out of pocket from gas and motels for training, to equipement including buying the things for our training team as a group. Much of the equipment and software we use is not cheap.

There is a contest that we need your votes to win. The bottom line is that if we can win this, our team gets $5000 to buy things we need to further our mission effectiveness.

All I'm asking you to do is take 1 minute EACH day for the remainder of this month. Each person can vote once a day, every day. Invite your friends to vote...

AND..... if you upload a picture of LILLY, your vote doubles in it's value.

SO....

1. Download a picture of LILLY to your computer. (right click the pic and "save image as")

2. Go to this link: http://www.aftermath.com/k9contest/

3. Fill out the form

4. In the field called "Department" enter the following: NC K9ERT

5. Upload LILLY's picture at the bottom of the form. wait for the upload to finish

6. Click on SUBMIT

7. Make a note to do this every day until Nov gets here.

This is what Lilly looks like now.

Here she is at last month's group training.... "Hey Dad... it's in here...I found it!!!!"

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 10/09/15 02:11 AM.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Off-Topic
Expert
Online Content
Expert
Will do.

Keith
2024 Audiophile Windows 11 AMD RYZEN THREADRIPPER 3960X 4.5GHZ 128 GB RAM 2 Nvidia RTX 3090s, Vegas,Acid,SoundForge,Izotope Production,Melodyne Studio,Cakewalk,Raven Mti
Off-Topic
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Started voting today. Site bookmarked and photo downloaded.

Good luck with the contest.

------------------

Do you travel over to Wendell to train or is the organization based somewhere else?

How often do you meet with the club to train?

How close is Lilly to becoming certified?

Charlie

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Done. Lilly's a doll.

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: c_fogle
Started voting today. Site bookmarked and photo downloaded.

Good luck with the contest.

------------------

Do you travel over to Wendell to train or is the organization based somewhere else?

How often do you meet with the club to train?

How close is Lilly to becoming certified?

Charlie

Yes... Wendell is where the team leader lives and has a large rural property we use. That's home base and about 25 minutes from my house. The team meets once a month for group training and to correct anything we're doing incorrectly. On occasion we travel to other locations close to some of the regular members. We have folks from Wilmington NC near the coast, NJ who do a 6 hr drive to come and train, as well as to the western part of NC... near Statesville, like last month and then the next upcoming training is scheduled on the USMC air station base at Beaufort SC where some other team members live... almost a 5 hr drive for me. The team leader has a good reputation for training the best SAR dogs and people in this field know it and are willing to drive long distances to come and train with him.

Lilly's certification is the easy part. All she needs to be able to do is find a number of sources hidden in a defined search area. She needs to alert on it and then locate it and indicate it with a SIT, or any other response specific to her. Since we are certified as a team.... I have a number of courses to take and pass as well as passing the SAR Tech Level 2 to become operational. My thought is it could be 6 months to a year before we are fully prepared to be a certified team.

They finally gave me a "training aid" to work with on my own. Not HR but a scent article. Lilly absolutely loves searching for this item. It's a tennis ball that is rather stinky. We spend a few minutes every day or so working with it. I crate her, hide it, and then put her on command.... she finds it in less than 60 seconds. Right now.... it's just "find it" and praise/reward.... training the indication comes next.. in a few more weeks.

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 10/09/15 03:04 AM.

www.herbhartley.com

Off-Topic
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
That's very interesting. I'm aware of two prominent cadaver dog handlers from that area, Cat Warren and Nancy Hook. Not sure if they are associated with your organization or not.

I became a certified dog trainer back in 2010 before I retired and studied with a trainer/mentor from Fort Bragg. She is also a dog behavior professor at the college level. She was married to a special ops colonel and is from Germany. She had trained several dogs to Schultzhund III level. A brilliant trainer and teacher.

I also worked for a time with a certified service dog organization trainer before retirement but my job required so much time I had to stop with that volunteer work.

My GSD Justice is 3.5 years old and is also very scent oriented. I looked into SAR in the past and looked into your organization in Raleigh but decided at the time, time for travel back and forth would cause me to lose interest quickly.

I've had a lot of exposure to scent dogs both in my insurance investigative work with arson and as a SC EMT for 18 years. Fascinating work.

Lot's of interesting things with dogs is going on in the Raleigh/Durham area. Brian Hare runs the Dog Cognition Center out of Duke U. there also.

Last edited by c_fogle; 10/09/15 03:48 AM.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I'm in!

She's a good looking dog, and thank you for being involved in a humanitarian project.

I'm happy to help.

Bob

PS Do I put your city and state or mine?

Last edited by Notes Norton; 10/09/15 04:04 AM.

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Done deal. If she wins, can I have her? You can tell just be LOOKING at that dog how intelligent she is. My little dog would love to have her as a housemate.

I am using the new 1040XTRAEZ form this year. It has just 2 lines.

1. How much did you make in 2023?
2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Done. Hope y'all win...

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Notes Norton
I'm in!

She's a good looking dog, and thank you for being involved in a humanitarian project.

I'm happy to help.

Bob

PS Do I put your city and state or mine?

Enter your information. The only thing that's ours is the Department and the picture.

This is like a Chicago election..... vote early and vote often.

www.herbhartley.com

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
This is like a Chicago election..... vote early and vote often.

And for Mayor Daley.

I am using the new 1040XTRAEZ form this year. It has just 2 lines.

1. How much did you make in 2023?
2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: c_fogle
That's very interesting. I'm aware of two prominent cadaver dog handlers from that area, Cat Warren and Nancy Hook. Not sure if they are associated with your organization or not.

I became a certified dog trainer back in 2010 before I retired and studied with a trainer/mentor from Fort Bragg. She is also a dog behavior professor at the college level. She was married to a special ops colonel and is from Germany. She had trained several dogs to Schultzhund III level. A brilliant trainer and teacher.

I also worked for a time with a certified service dog organization trainer before retirement but my job required so much time I had to stop with that volunteer work.

My GSD Justice is 3.5 years old and is also very scent oriented. I looked into SAR in the past and looked into your organization in Raleigh but decided at the time, time for travel back and forth would cause me to lose interest quickly.

I've had a lot of exposure to scent dogs both in my insurance investigative work with arson and as a SC EMT for 18 years. Fascinating work.

Lot's of interesting things with dogs is going on in the Raleigh/Durham area. Brian Hare runs the Dog Cognition Center out of Duke U. there also.

Interesting stuff Charlie.

I'm sure if I mention those 2 ladies names at the training, most of the experienced handlers will know them or at least, know of them. This is all new to me and so I'm not really familiar with the ladies or their back stories. I do know that there's a lot of pride and rivalry in this field.... mostly friendly. I'm working toward certification and doing the job as we are called upon to do.

From what I've heard and learned, this team is a widely known and a very well respected team for it's professionalism and highly trained dogs and handlers. Mac has a map on his wall where he keeps a record of all the searches with color coded pins. There's hundreds of pins in that map covering more than 3 states. VA, NC, SC, and I think GA and TN as well. The standards to become operational are fairly steep for a reason. Mac only wants the best teams in the field representing the larger team.

Interesting, fascinating, work. It's a pleasure to watch some of the more experienced dogs work.

www.herbhartley.com

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Done, I will try to get back often.

Good Luck

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
They're on the way!
Trev

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: eddie1261

If she wins, can I have her? You can tell just be LOOKING at that dog how intelligent she is.

I've had a number of folks offer to buy her. Nope, she's not for sale.

Intelligent? Scary intelligent at times. I was messing with her one night and she kept bugging me.... so I told her to go get her ball. I knew the ball was in the other room in a pile with several other toys, including a tug rope and some bones. She gives me that GSD head tilt look, I repeated the command.... go get your ball, and she turns around and walks out of the room.

30 seconds later she comes trotting back in to the den with ..... her ball. I repeated that test about 20 minutes later...this time asking for the rope.... she comes back with the rope....

At this point I realized she was probably more intelligent than I was.

www.herbhartley.com

Off-Topic
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
Originally Posted By: eddie1261

If she wins, can I have her? You can tell just be LOOKING at that dog how intelligent she is.

I've had a number of folks offer to buy her. Nope, she's not for sale.

Intelligent? Scary intelligent at times. I was messing with her one night and she kept bugging me.... so I told her to go get her ball. I knew the ball was in the other room in a pile with several other toys, including a tug rope and some bones. She gives me that GSD head tilt look, I repeated the command.... go get your ball, and she turns around and walks out of the room.

30 seconds later she comes trotting back in to the den with ..... her ball. I repeated that test about 20 minutes later...this time asking for the rope.... she comes back with the rope....

At this point I realized she was probably more intelligent than I was.

My wife and I were headed to Walmart one day and just as we were leaving I realized I'd dropped my reading glasses in the front yard. Not taking time to look for them I told my GSD Justice to find my glasses. We left at that point. Upon our return, there was Justice jumped up on the fence with my glasses in her mouth.

To learn of the extraordinary intelligence of dogs, Stop, Sit and Think by Charles P. Eisenmann is the book for you. Because he self published his work, this book is quite rare and rather expensive if you find one. For me, it was worth the price I had to pay and if something happened to my copy, I'd locate and buy another. I learned more about dogs, their intelligence, their capabilities and understanding than from any other writing I've ever come across. I have a huge and complete library and this book stands alone. It is kept under lock and key in a waterproof/fireproof container.

Two books that are easier to find and a whole lot cheaper but should be in any trainers library are Training Dogs A Manual by Co. Konrad Most which was the German K9 military training manual for the period comprising pre-WWI to post-WWII. It was printed and released in English in the early 1950's. It is compulsion training which is out of favor today and some training is rather harsh by today's standards but one has to read it in context that it was written and intended for military dogs in war situations. Col. Most developed and used techniques and theories of operant conditioning, chaining, shaping, fading as well as primary and secondary reinforcement 32 years before they were 'discovered' by B.F. Skinner. You may not train with the techniques but you will learn more true theory than any other three manuals combined. All of the compulsion trainers including William Koehler's methods trace their roots to Most and his theory of training.

The second indispensable training manual is British War Dogs by Lt. Col. Edwin Richardson. It is from the same time period but rather than compulsion training, it is based on positive reinforcement, but without treats.

With these three books in your library, you'll have a greater understanding of dogs, dog intelligence, capability and reliability than probably any other material widely available to the amateur trainer. I have several dog intelligence books published since 2011 showing science is just catching up and reporting amazing discoveries of theory and knowledge that exists in these nearly 100 year old manuscripts.

Last edited by c_fogle; 10/09/15 03:48 PM.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Herb !

Done, though I´m not sure
if the system accepts a State
abbreviated FI

Cheers and Good Luck !
Dani

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Good stuff there Charlie. I will put those books on my list of things to acquire.

I made a vow to myself when we first got Lilly, knowing that she came from a place where she was likely slapped around and we know for a fact that she was caged when she did wrong, that no matter what she did, she was not going to be hit or yelled at, as a form of punishment. We replaced a lot of throw rugs in the first few months. And no nose in the accidental poo or pee on the floor, just trips outside more often and praise for doing it outside. Accidents were actually rare. I've seen dogs cower at a raised hand or a belt removed...... my girl doesn't know that fear. I only raise my voice if she's in danger such as running toward a road, then it's to call her back.

So from the very beginning the only kind of training she has had is positive reinforcement when she does right. When she does something wrong or even bad, the result is no attention and then we do it right and she gets a reward and treat. I use a lot of treats, especially early in her training on something new.

At our SAR training, everyone uses a specific toy as a reward.... ball, frisbee, kong. They throw it and the dog grabs it and plays then of course, they have to get it back and put the dog back to work. I've seen several of the trainers with advanced SAR dogs, mission certified, struggle for upwards on a minute to retrieve the toy from the dog's mouth. With Lilly, I simply tell her to release it and she drops it in my hand or on the ground at my feet. If she shows any hesitation, I use a treat. When we play kong & frizz, she returns the toy to me 90% of the time with no fuss.

Good to know someone else here is involved with advanced dog training.

www.herbhartley.com

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Herb, Done. Good luck.

Off-Topic
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
This conversation makes the possibility of traveling to 264/95 intersection one day even tastier. Any good steak houses close by?

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,590
Posts734,780
Members38,501
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
mandella, Krystal Mcclain, Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365
38,501 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 190