Print Thread
Go To
Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production
A
AxeSax Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Hi .
HELP PLEASE !! Which BiaB package makes jazz play-alongs, piano / bass / drums trio, with acoustic rhythm guitar [sometimes] for 4/4, 3/4 [therefore 6/8 & 12/8], maybe 5/4.... swing, Latin, bossa ??? I'd like the end result to be like the stuff put out by Learn Jazz Standards..... that sort of thing. Easy to understand instructions, please, as I am an oldie !! Cheers.

Veteran
Veteran
Get as much as you can afford, preferably the "UltraPlusPAK"

http://www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.packages.htm

And don't forget the big end of year sale is coming soon.

Oh, and welcome to the forum grin

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Veteran
Veteran
I agree.
Mega at minimum, Everything or UltraPlus even better, but almost all users have concurred; buying the most you can initially keeps any upgrade costs minimal. The initial investment pays for itself down the road.
Some choose a more prudent 'buy bare minimum and get the Realtracks I want' path, and pay for it down the road.
One thing I would stress; I don't recommend looking at Realtracks and trying to buy only what sounds like you would use. I have used MANY Realtracks that initially I never thought I would. .. bluegrass fiddle? Why would I need that? (it has made its way onto a couple tunes that were NOT bluegrass).

The more you have to tinker with, the more you will enjoy it, and don't assume a certain Realtrack won't work in a given situation.
Another example (more obvious maybe) is sax. A 'Hip-Hop' sax solo can work very well in another genre, etc.
The more you have, the more fun/options you'll have, in my experience

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Veteran
Veteran
Yup...what THEY said.

Buy as far up the food chain as you can afford. It's one thing you will likely not regret.

The higher you can afford to go, the more real tracks you have to play with and that gives you amazing versatility when writing new tunes.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Veteran
Veteran
Hi AxeSax,

Welcome.

One way you might be able to approach your purchase is to use the 30 day money-back guarantee that PG Music give.

This would need to be confirmed through sales because I'm only a user... simply drop them an email and ask. As I see it, you could buy one of the cheaper deals and give it a test run. If you think the program has merit, and it's within 30 days of your purchase, I suspect that PG Music would fully refund the cost of your initial purchase if you choose to invest in a more comprehensive version of the program. Most people on the forums here use either the UltraPlusPak or the EverythingPak.

In 2006, I started out with the MegaPak. When the first sale came around, though, I upgraded to the UltraPlusPak because it's the cheapest deal that has everything. I've been upgrading every year since then to maintain every new development that occurs. It's a brilliant program.

Hope this information helps,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
A
AxeSax Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Thanks for the advice. The thing is, though, I only want a small jazz combo set up. I would not want all the pop, country, funk, gypsy jazz, folk etc things at all. I appreciate having it all at your fingertips means not wanting anything extra for the future - in my case I've been there, done that, and am content with the small jazz combo fakery. The steep learning curve has started! My next problems will start when I get what ever package[s] are necessary...exciting times. Cheers.

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: AxeSax
Thanks for the advice. The thing is, though, I only want a small jazz combo set up. I would not want all the pop, country, funk, gypsy jazz, folk etc things at all. I appreciate having it all at your fingertips means not wanting anything extra for the future - in my case I've been there, done that, and am content with the small jazz combo fakery. The steep learning curve has started! My next problems will start when I get what ever package[s] are necessary...exciting times. Cheers.

OK so my revised suggestion is to get the PRO package for $129. I think it will have much of what you want. It will help you get started with jazz and it gives you a fair number of real tracks to play with. Real Tracks are freaking amazing. 10,000% better than using straight midi.

http://www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.packages.pro.htm#procombos

There are a number of jazz combo's and styles there that use 200 real tracks. In addition, you get 400 midi styles to play with. Not all, but a large number of those should be jazz styles.

Here's the thing, if you decide it's not enough, you can always call PG and move up to the next package. I made a mistake one year and bought the wrong package by mistake. It was not what I really wanted and needed. When I realized I had the wrong product, I called PG and they simply asked me to pay the difference and they would get the correct one to me. They have the best customer service hands down, of all the companies I deal with regarding music related items.

Start with the Pro package and get your feet wet, and see if that does the job. I'll bet it will.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
They have the best customer service hands down, of all the companies I deal with

This.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
A
AxeSax Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Thanks for this idea, which I'll now buy. I appreciate all the posts and for all of your time in replying - that goes for all of you. Keep the music coming.

Veteran
Veteran
All good advice but just as an FYI and as mentioned by Jazzmandan:

PG USUALLY comes up with the new BIAB version in early to mid December (last year for first time -they put it on sale in late November) and there new version sale prices are always VERY GOOD!

If you by Pro now and get started and like as much as we think you will - then a simple call to PG when the new version DOES go on sale will probably get you a very good deal on cross-grade to a Mega, Ultra or Everything pak.

good luck and enjoy

Larry

Win10Pro,i9,64GB,2TBSSD+20TBHDDs,1080TI,BIAB'24,Scarlett18i8,Montage7,Fusion 8HD,QS8,Integra7,XV5080,QSR,SC-8850,SPLAT,FL21&others,Komp.14,IK suite&others, just a guitar player-AXE FX III &FM9T, FishmanTP, MIDIGuitar2, GK2/3'sw/GI20
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,603
Posts734,998
Members38,512
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
BroDon, Xtian, michael07716, Ronsei, McYann
38,511 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 186