Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Post your own Tips and Tricks here
Veteran
Veteran
Eddy,

What are the two chords before and the two chords after the above chord. Also, is it possible to show us how they are voiced in the music (an image of that section of the score would help)? This will allow us to see the context of the harmony and would assist a great deal when suggesting a possible resolution for the issue.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Noel96
What are the two chords before and the two chords after the above chord. Also, is it possible to show us how they are voiced in the music (an image of that section of the score would help)? This will allow us to see the context of the harmony and would assist a great deal when suggesting a possible resolution for the issue.
Certainly, I was considering that myself, you just beat me to it. The actual score is in the key of B flat but I thought it would be simpler to set the example to the C key like keyboard players often do. This chord occurs only once, as a part of the intro of the piece, As you can see, it has much the hallmarks of a sus chord, e.g. doesn't linger and quickly resolves onto the dim. Anyway, here you go:

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Score.png (45.58 KB, 126 downloads)

Thank goodness words aren't knives.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
BBox 2022 Audiophile, Mac Pro Intel, OSX 10.6.8, 800x600 (TV VGA)
Veteran
Veteran
Your first chord could be written as BbdimMaj7.

Asus Q500A i7 Win 10 64 bit 8GB ram 750 HD 15.5" touch screen, BIAB 2017, Casio PX 5s, Xw P1, Center Point Stereo SS V3 and EWI 4000s.
Veteran
Veteran
Thanks, Eddy. That's interesting. How I see the music is...

1. Use of a pedal point Bb in the first three bars.

2. The A note in the soprano, bar 1, looks like it's a prepared dissonance since it initially occurs as a consonance that's carried over from the anacrusis.

I see the first chord as Bbmb5 (Bbdim triad) with the A as a dissonance (as mentioned above) that resolves to the G in the following bar. Diminished triads are supported in BIAB. If you have it set up, you can simply type Xdim, otherwise use Xdim5. (It's under Display Options.)

Because of the pedal point, it's also possible that Bb in the bass is the dissonance that resolves downwards to A in bar 4. A diminished chord is not a usual way to begin pedal point but, if it works, it works.

Possible chord progressions that I'd try...

If Bb (bass) is treated as the dissonance and the Db is treated as C#, it's enharmonic equivalent..

ONE
A/Bb - Dbdim/Bb - Cm/Bb - F7/A

If A (soprano) is treated as the dissonance, then...

TWO
Bbdim (triad) - Bbdim (triad) - Cm/Bb - F7/A

To get the best pedalpoint effect for the above, it would be possible to use "Chord Settings / Pedal Bass".

(Alternatively, try Bbdim - Dbdim/Bb - Cm/Bb - F7/A.)

I suspect that the first option under "TWO" will work best. I wouldn't worry about the soprano notes (A and then G) because these are melody and will either be sung or played and, when that happens, they will provide the required harmonic sound. I suspect that Bbdim will provide sufficient textural backing for the first two bars.

...MGU file with my suggestion

In both cases, I'd use Cm/Bb and not Cm7/Bb since the second option would double the 7th and this would most likely sound overdone.

That's just my take on it... it will be interesting to see what others say.

Regards,
Noel

Last edited by Noel96; 10/10/15 03:12 AM.

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Ok, I feel rather foolish now, for having completely missed the obvious choice - utilise the sung melody! blush
What makes this even more embarrassing for me is that I myself have done just that in my own work, more than once. Heck, one prime case sample is even on here already in my "Bouncing" piece!! eek

Thanks so much for helping me see the light, everyone, Noel in particular. With your excellent inputs I think I can take it from here cool

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I see the first chord as Bbmb5 (Bbdim triad) with the A as a dissonance (as mentioned above) that resolves to the G in the following bar.
This to me was the "Lights on!" part of your feedback beyond anything! I'm still kicking myself for missing what now seems so obvious. By leaving it up to the melody to create that tension, you've saved me a great deal of headache. Btw, the soprano A->G is definitely the focal point of the melody, since in Icelandic the accent of every word is always on the first syllable. So makes even more sense that the melody should be allowed to take care of that bit.
Because of the pedal point, it's also possible that Bb in the bass is the dissonance that resolves downwards to A in bar 4. A diminished chord is not a usual way to begin pedal point but, if it works, it works.
I'm actually now leaning towards not following the pedal point(s) of the vocals (see reasoning re the soprano above) and just suffice with it 'as is' in the vocals, so we get something like

Bbdim (triad) - Edim7 - Cm7 - F7

This to me creates a more varied bass movement in the band, followed by the (to me) desirable IIm7-V7 resolution at the end leading nicely into the first chord of the verse (which starts with a Bb chord).

Veteran
Veteran
Hi Eddy,

There's nothing to feel embarrassed about. I often find that what seems obvious at the end of a learning journey was anything but obvious at the journey's start. We have a saying in English (not sure if you've come across it) that goes something like "Can't see the forest for the trees". It's a result of being human, I think.

I'm glad my thoughts helped.

Because pedal point can occur in any voice, by using a different bass line in the arrangement and leaving the pedal point to the choir voices since it is at the higher end of the register, I suspect you'll add an extra layer of harmonic interest.

Personally, I think this thread is a great post on the forum because the principles it contains will be valuable to many people.

All the best,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Personally, I think this thread is a great post on the forum because the principles it contains will be valuable to many people.
That was one of the reasons I tried to initially avoid making this thread too "case specific", so that it could be applied to other scenarios/users.
Though I also have to say somewhat doubt there are many on here who get as enthusiastic over music theory (or are indeed as knowledgeable!) as yourself. I myself must confess to looking up quite a bulk of your musical vocabulary there! wink

But yes, for me this definitely has been a valuable thread, so thank you once again to all who contributed smile

Veteran
Veteran
Guys, I really hate sounding like the hall monitor but this is not a forum for questions. Just steer a post with a question like this to the appropriate forum.

I keep going back to basics. Remember when Peter first created this forum with some fanfare several years ago? It was because we all wanted one place where good suggestions (Tips) and very clever workarounds of certain problems (Tricks) could be placed. Most of us agreed with this idea and agreed to keep the questions out of this forum. Now this forum is getting all cluttered up with questions again and Peter might as well shut it down and move everything to the Biab forum.

Icelander, with 875 posts you're not a nooby here, don't you get the point of this? Tip's and Tricks means this is where you post cool stuff that might help others, not questions.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I feel I'm being undeservedly put under scrutiny here, so must make a few points to this surprising - and rather belated, I might add! - "observation" to what I considered to be a well concluded (read:finished) thread, so here goes:

1. The final post I made to this thread was about a week ago, this topic was closed, at least on my part. and I was under the honest believe that my last entry had made this abundantly clear.

2.This thread wasn't just over & finished, it was so quite successfully too, as it brought on quite a few TIPS on how to deal with a particular issue, which in return were tremendously HELPFUL - and if that isn't the important part to consider when evaluating its merits (which I don't recall having been asked for), then I don't know what is. Then again, and leading up to...

Originally Posted By: jazzmammal
"Remember when Peter first created this forum with some fanfare several years ago?"
- NO!! I wasn't on here "several years ago", thank you very much, Mr. Presumptuous! Just because I may have been quite active on some sections of the Forum, is no grounds to jump to the 'conclusion' that I 'ought' to have intricate knowledge of all of them and their backstory. It so happens that this is my very first thread in this particular section, if that even matters.

And - just because your 'righteous' tone pissed me off - one final point:

Originally Posted By: jazzmammal
Guys, I really hate sounding like the hall monitor but...
Really!? confused Well, you sure had me fooled there. It's funny how people can so severely contradict their own 'graceful' statement with just the single use of the word "but", innit whistle

Veteran
Veteran
Perhaps it will be help to read the sticky, "FAQ and posting information for the Tips and Tricks forum".

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
Veteran
Eddy,

Don't worry about it. Personally, I think that this thread contains many tips and tricks on how one goes about creating chords that are not contained in BIAB's vocabulary.

If the PG Music team don't see that this thread is properly located here, they'll move it to the forum that they feel more appropriate. At the end of the day, where a post ultimately resides is always PG Music's call.

All the best,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
Perhaps it will be help to read the sticky, "FAQ and posting information for the Tips and Tricks forum".
Et tú, Brute?
Now, this was indeed an unexpected curveball, Mr. Finley. And you actually participated in the discussion of this thread, not a peep of objections then wink

Anyone else wanna jump on the wagon, while it's gaining such wonderful momentum?! I'M RIGHT HERE!! eek

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Eddy,

Don't worry about it. Personally, I think that this thread contains many tips and tricks on how one goes about creating chords that are not contained in BIAB's vocabulary.

If the PG Music team don't see that this thread is properly located here, they'll move it to the forum that they feel more appropriate. At the end of the day, where a post ultimately resides if always PG Music's call.

All the best,
Noel
THANK YOU! laugh
If only I had seen this reply of support before I made my reply to Mr. Finley smirk

Journeyman
Journeyman
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley

I couldn't find that info.??

DE

Win 10, 64 bit, love my Lenovo T420, BIAB 2019 (613), RB 2019 (2)

Short term memory is getting shorter.
Veteran
Veteran
DE, it is the post by Peter Gannon directly above this one in the Tips and Tricks Forum. Dr. Gannon describes what the expectations are for this forum.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
Veteran
Icelander, please.

How should I or anybody say this without pissing you off, eh?

I guess you never bothered to read the forum FAQs? You really think the moderators and in this case, Peter himself, put those FAQ's up there just because they look good but he doesn't expect anybody to read it?

From Peters last paragraph in his FAQ:

Please note: Posts that are not tips-and-tricks (for example posts with questions on using the program) should be posted in the general forum for Band-in-a-Box or RealBand, and will be moved there if posted here.

Is this really that difficult to understand?

The correct response from you should have been oh, I didn't realize that. I guess I should have read the FAQ. That's it, everything's fine, no problem. But what did you do? Jump all over me. Why? All I did was point out the obvious. Not cool man.

We all try to be understanding about things like this which is why I haven't said anything about questions in the Tips and Tricks forum for probably a year. You won the lotto I guess.

Finally, yes this is a perfectly legitimate discussion, good info here too. It's just in the wrong forum.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,391
Posts732,461
Members38,439
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
MIX-I-MUSIX 2.0, Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz
38,441 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195