Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran

https://soundcloud.com/planobillydfw/rodeo-cowboy-v-3

Bass and Drum tracks were put in time and in tune with Melodyne. Fiddle track unaltered. Small adjustments to the guitar track. I played the lead intro and outro. Vocals get harder by the year…lol This is a bit out of my comfort zone. I have never done much country. Also, this is a bit popish and perhaps a bit more modern. Not sure just what to think about this song yet…

****** Song Summary *************
Title: Rodeo Cowboy 120 BPM Key of C
File:Rodeo Cowboy 120 BPM Key of C.SGU
Key=C , Tempo 120, Length (m:s)=3:08
No intro. 92 bar chorus, from bar 1 to bar 92. Repeat x1 chorus
No Melody
No Soloist track.
Song is saved with Volume, Pan, Reverb, Chorus, Bank0,
Style is _SJSAXHF.STY (SmJazzBalladSax w/PopInst(120RS))

RealTracks in style: ~519:Bass, Electric, Pop HalfNotes Ev 120
RealTracks in song: 1756:Pedal Steel, Rhythm Pop8ths Ev 110
RealTracks in style: ~543:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm Dreamy Ev 120
RealTracks in style: ~405:Guitar, Acoustic, Strumming Ev 120
RealTracks in song: 1877:Fiddle, Soloist CountryRob Ev 120
RealTracks in song: 2494:Piano, Acoustic, HeldChords 120
RealDrums in style: NashvilleEven8^6-a:Snare, HiHat , b:Snare, HiHat Open

Rodeo Cowboy

He won some money at the rodeo
Trailers loaded and he’s ready to go
North Dakota is a long way from home

Headed south for the Texas plane
Driving through the cold and rain
Trying to get home again

It’s a cowboy’s life
When the rodeo is over

Driving in his pickup truck
Thinking about his good luck
Money ain’t that easy to come by

But now it’s time to get back home
Calls his wife on the telephone
How’s the kids, hope their doing fine

It’s a cowboy’s life
When the rodeo is over

Getting tired and it’s getting late
Too much traffic on the interstate
Wishing he had someone to talk too

One more stop to fuel the truck
Home by daybreak with any luck
It’s a long old road

It’s just a cowboy’s life
When the rodeo is over
It’s just a cowboy’s
When the rodeo is over

Cheers,

Billy

New location, new environment, new music coming soon

Seize the moo-ment
If you feel like you’ve herd all these cow puns before, you probably have deja-moo
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
I think you are painting a good tale here. The vocals are too buried, though. Turn that fiddle down while the singing is going on. Good start, bring up the vox and you will be fine.

Now at bandcamp: Crows Say Vee-Eh @ bandcamp or soundcloud: Kevin @ soundcloud
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks Kevin,

You are right about the vox. I was trying something new for me in having a solo fiddle play through the whole song. I have a volume track on the fiddle but don't have it set correctly yet. Needs work..lol

BB has been an adventure!!

Billy

Seize the moo-ment
If you feel like you’ve herd all these cow puns before, you probably have deja-moo
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Excellent. Great traveling song.
Wouldnt mind doing a version of this.
Thanks for listening. Rob

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Billy,

I enjoyed this. I think Kevin has given some good advice. That being said, though, you had my attention all the way smile

All the best,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
User Showcase
SRP Offline
Journeyman
Journeyman
Hi Billy, I enjoyed listening to your Rodeo Cowboy song
and with the other comments having said that the volume on vocals need to come up and fiddle down I would say you have got it licked. I have a friend that made a living on the rodeo circuit and did quite well but he is retired now. He is also a song writer and singer.
Great job!
Sonny

User Showcase
Expert
Expert

Nice country sound in this song

Good guitar riffs.
Great voice for country as usual.

Hello

Sergio
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
That's a pleasant listen, Billy.

The tracks work well. Pull that vocal up and you're good to go...

floyd

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Billy... cool tune. I really like this. Cowboy songs are among my favorite topics... and you're off to a good start in this genre. I think you will do writing country.

I agree, with the previous comments that the vocals are way to low for country. They need to be upfront and not have a lot of reverb and absolutely no other effects. You want he audience to hear the singer in the same room with them.

Ditto on the fiddle..... use automation and envelopes to let it do some tasty fills. Letting it play through out makes the song too busy where it should be basic rhythm and a singer. Letting it play is way too distracting.

Lets dig a bit deeper.... you used the same exact rhyming words... TRUCK & LUCK in two different verses. This is where you need to dig deeper to find new and original lines. I've heard it said that you never want to use the same rhyming word twice in a song....It shows a lack of creative thinking..... excepting in the chorus obviously..... which brings be to another point....

Where's the chorus? You have several verses, and a line that sounds more like a pre-chorus....but there's no chorus anywhere to be found.

"It’s a cowboy’s life...When the rodeo is over" is a great pre-chorus line...but it's not a chorus.

You should place a chorus right after that line.... the word "Over" ends on the root... walk up to the 4th... BANG!!!! you have the start to the chorus. Heck... I would make that line the first line of the chorus.... it's a great line. Just write 3 more lines to follow it and tell the story.... Yeah this needs a big chorus so go and write one. Use it to tie the verses together and fill in the story you're telling. You don't need the PC.

Since you'll be adding a chorus.... that will put the song well over 4 minutes in length... drop a verse so you can insert the chorus... remember it will likely play 3 times. Once after each verse/pc... and a tagged chorus too ..possibly. You can also incorporate the PC you have now into a full chorus and save a few seconds in that manner too. It's totally up to you.

Start by condensing the 3 verses into 2 really good ones.... v2 is more filler than substance.... take the lines from them all and make 2 good ones. You need to eliminate the word fumbling as I call it... make the phrasing and word usage flow like water.....there's a few places that can use some smoothing out.

Shorten the intro to 10 to 12 seconds...

Verse 1 .. PC .. Chorus... V 2 .. PC .. CH...solo...CH tag...would be a good basic country structure.

OK.. I think that's enough for you to ponder.

I want you to know that I never give advice like this, that I have not been given, AND USED, myself. 2 songs come to mind.... The Best Christmas and COME & GO.... listen to them on my music page.... both started out with 3 or 4 verses, a chorus, pre-chorus and bridges. Both were near or over 5 minutes long. The advice I was given was almost exactly what I just advised for you to do. I took the songs and essentially rewrote them condensing things, deleting bridges and verses and the result was well worth the effort. What was a wandering boring song became a focused, halfway well written country song. It's a lot of work, but it's worth the effort when you finally get it done the right way.

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 10/18/15 02:43 AM.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks to everyone who commented.

Rob, You are always welcome to use all or any part of anything I do.

Noel, thanks for the support and kind words.

SRP, I also have a few friends who work the rodeo circuit and are working cowboys.

Sergio, Thanks man, you are always so kind with me.

Floyd, thanks for taking the time to listen.

Guitarhacker, thank you for taking the time to provide a lot of useful feedback.

I can fix the music without to much of a problem.I don't like the lead intro solo and perhaps could use one from BB or try to play something better. The fiddle issue is self evident...just trying something that did not work, and I have an automation lane under the fiddle so that fix is easy. I was trying to not use pedal steel but could if I went to a minor.

I was also thinking to rewrite this in a major/minor way. Perhaps creating a chorus that goes to the minor. The idea would be to use a minor chord to help define the feeling of a bit of letdown when the "show is over".

Rodeo Cowboys have to deal with a lot of the same issues that musicians on the road deal with. In fact most anyone who works away from home faces these issues.

As there are some good writers here on the site, perhaps you guys could give me some ideas for the lyrics.

The idea I had was to express how it feels when the show is over and how there is no way to know what the outcome of the "show" will be, will I win or not. Then, a bit of reconnecting with home and how hard the trip back home is. Perhaps that is too many ideas in one song....

I think I will go listen to some things Merle Haggard has written and see if I can get some ideas.

My vocal abilities are so limited I am not sure if I could ever sing something like this.

Thanks,

Billy

Seize the moo-ment
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Planobilly

Guitarhacker, thank you for taking the time to provide a lot of useful feedback.

I was also thinking to rewrite this in a major/minor way. Perhaps creating a chorus that goes to the minor. The idea would be to use a minor chord to help define the feeling of a bit of letdown when the "show is over".

The idea I had was to express how it feels when the show is over and how there is no way to know what the outcome of the "show" will be, will I win or not. Then, a bit of reconnecting with home and how hard the trip back home is. Perhaps that is too many ideas in one song....

Be careful when thinking of switching to minor chords... it's generally OK to use minors IN the chorus, such as a 2 or 6 minor chord for interest... but be careful that the chorus still fits with the song. If you go all minor or start minor, that will be very hard to pull off successfully. I think it would be a much better idea to use WORDS and not CHORDS to try to convey the "feeling down" when the show is over.

You could however... do something like this....

(F) it's a cowboy's life when the rodeo is over (C...Am) miles to go (G) just to see her (F) face (G)
(F) Wipe a tear, from the (C) corner of his (Am) eye Never (F) show the pain, (G) it's a cowboys (C) life.

or

(Am) it's a cowboy's life (G) when the rodeo is over (C...Am) (F) miles to go just to see her (C) face (G)
(Am) Wipe a tear, from the (C) corner of his (Am) eye Never (F) show the pain, (G) it's a cowboys (C) life.

The ultimate choice is you're and could be totally different from this.... This is just a quick 2 minutes with a guitar example....

It is amazing just how much you can express when you pick and choose the correct/right words and phrases. Song writing is about boiling things down to their most basic and effective essence. Eliminate all the meaningless filler and the stuff that you might have thought was cool but is worthless to the big picture. That's the genius of songwriting.

It might help to envision that you are writing the script of a 3 minute movie. Complete with intro, setup, meet the characters, plot, and conclusion. Outline the idea.... What happens in each verse and then how does the chorus connect those 2 verses? Use a bridge ONLY if it's necessary AND if it adds something new, interesting, and creative to the song.

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 10/18/15 05:34 AM.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
User Showcase
ROG Offline
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Billy.

A good song with a good story.

All the constituent parts are there and a bit of work work on the mix could make it into a great country track.

Lots of good advice from the others here.

ROG.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: ROG
Hi Billy.

All the constituent parts are there and a bit of work work on the mix could make it into a great country track.

ROG.

I agree with Rog. This is a very good start and with a little work it would be super.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
Nice song, great arrangement. Someone commented Vocals up, fiddle down, I agree.

Style is _SJSAXHF.STY (SmJazzBalladSax w/PopInst(120RS))
you can't pigeonhole genres anymore -- jazz for a cowboy song?? Love it.

DE

Win 10, 64 bit, love my Lenovo T420, BIAB 2019 (613), RB 2019 (2)

Short term memory is getting shorter.
User Showcase
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Listened to the song and read the comments. Comments and suggestions are spot on in my opinion.

I wouldn't worry about re-mixing this version and concentrate on Guitarhacker's restructuring in a real chorus - into this existing structure you already have rather than involve changing to a minor chord. The change to the minor is something I associate more with a ballad and will substantially change the vibe of this really good cowboy song. Personally, I'd stick with the really good cowboy song.

Take Rob up on doing the vocals for you and this song will be able to win a beauty pageant.

You've done a good job out the gate and working on this some more is truly worth your time.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Hi Billy. Enjoyed this song.
Reckon the vocals up and the rhythm section too. Make it a bit more of a rocker.
( but I would do this to just about every song. ha ha ) Cheers.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: MarioD
Originally Posted By: ROG
Hi Billy.

ROG.

I agree with Rog. This is a very good start and with a little work it would be super.

I agree with Mario agreeing with ROG.
Good advice from the others

Alyn

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle
Listened to the song and read the comments. Comments and suggestions are spot on in my opinion.

I wouldn't worry about re-mixing this version and concentrate on Guitarhacker's restructuring in a real chorus - into this existing structure you already have rather than involve changing to a minor chord. The change to the minor is something I associate more with a ballad and will substantially change the vibe of this really good cowboy song. Personally, I'd stick with the really good cowboy song.

Take Rob up on doing the vocals for you and this song will be able to win a beauty pageant.

You've done a good job out the gate and working on this some more is truly worth your time.

I agree with Charlie. A little more work and you'll be there. Tom

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks for all the feedback guys. I have some stuff to do this morning and will get back to this later in the day.

Think I will try first to rewrite the words and keep the general structure. If that works, good, if not I can try the minor idea

Rob...if you would like to do the vocal, that would be really cool, also if you want to help with the rewrite of the words feel free to jump in. Plenty of cowboys down under, so I am sure you understand where I am trying to go with this!!

Cheers,

Billy

EDIT: I got your PM Rob

Last edited by Planobilly; 10/19/15 04:06 AM.

Seize the moo-ment
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: tommyad
Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle

I agree with Charlie. A little more work and you'll be there. Tom

And we agree also! I would suggest using a rhythm fiddle to carry the vocals and a solo fiddle for fills and turnarounds. It takes a little DAW work as you need to remove the rhythm fiddle during the time the solo fiddle plays. But the tune is worth it and that'll give a sound closer to how a country band would play it. Often it will require several regens to get the segues between the solo and rhythm to sound smooth...but it's all there with good ole BiaB if you have the time.

Enjoyed the listen.

J&B

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,604
Posts735,001
Members38,512
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
BroDon, Xtian, michael07716, Ronsei, McYann
38,511 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 186