You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
#112565 - 04/25/11 01:22 AM Cubase LE 5
Tobias Offline

Loc: Way too close to Palm Springs,...
Any one have and use this program. It came free/included with piece of hardware I bought. I don't like to install things I won't use. Wondering if I'm missing out on anything by not installing it. Anyone have good reasons to install this program? Does it have usefull features not available in Power Tracks, Audacity, NTrack, etcc...?
Does the noise in your head bother me ?

#112566 - 04/25/11 07:47 AM Re: Cubase LE 5 [Re: Tobias]
Tommyc Offline

Tons of features ,hard to learn. I have an older version and would suggest using if you are an extreme techie otherwise too difficult .

#112567 - 04/25/11 08:34 AM Re: Cubase LE 5 [Re: Tobias]
Mac Offline

Loc: Chesapeake, Virginia USA
IMO most softwares that come included with things like soundcards, etc. and have suffixes such as "LE" appended to them are worth exactly what you paid for them.

Found that out the hard way, I did.

Cubase, especially, while having a rather large following, is not a very intuitive platform IMHO, hard to learn, hard to set up, hard to keep running from day to day IME.

Realband or PT beats it hands down.

PGmusic FAQs, Tutorials and Updates! click here

You must be Audiominds.

#112568 - 04/25/11 09:33 AM Re: Cubase LE 5 [Re: Mac]
rockstar_not Offline

Loc: Colorado Springs, CO, USA

IMO most softwares that come included with things like soundcards, etc. and have suffixes such as "LE" appended to them are worth exactly what you paid for them.

I agree in general with one particular exception: Amplitube LE, which has been supplied with many different programs/hardware over the years, is completely functional and serves it's purpose quite well.

If you want to get the flavor and feel of amplifier simulation, with very servicable results and playability, Amplitube LE, well 'Rocks!'.

#112569 - 04/25/11 10:44 AM Re: Cubase LE 5 [Re: Mac]
Mike sings Offline

Loc: Friesland, The Netherlands

Found that out the hard way, I did.

Cubase, especially, while having a rather large following, is not a very intuitive platform IMHO, hard to learn, hard to set up, hard to keep running from day to day IME.

Realband or PT beats it hands down.

I don't agree with you here. The LE-version of Cubase is a very powerful DAW, even if it doesn't have all the features C5 has. If you decide to invest in an interface to improve your recordings and you get a powerful DAW for free to go with it, why wouldn't you usde it? It saves you money on a DAW (if you don't have one already) and you get a free chance to try out the program. Chances are you won't run into the restrictions at all, at least not for the first year or two. I know a lot of people on a homerecording forum that use Cubase LE4 that haven't felt the need to upgrade to the full version.

I use Cubase 5.5 and am completely satisfied with that DAW. For me Cubase works far more intuitive than PTPA or RB. Also all the different ways of routing signals, the ability to work with DAW-controllers and the powerfull tools available (and the GUI) makes Cubase far more usable for me than the other DAWs mentioned.

Having said that, the coice of a DAW is however personal. A DAW must meed your needs and you must be comfortable with the workflow. Most if not all DAWs on the market nowadays are capable of recording a hit record. After all; it isn'ty the program, it's the person behind it who makes the difference.

#112570 - 04/25/11 12:28 PM Re: Cubase LE 5 [Re: Mike sings]
MikeK Online   happy

Loc: Buford, GA
Nonesense. Everybody knows that Sonar PE rocks

My Music * PC: Avatar FX8366ice AMD FX-8350(4.0GHz) 16GB DDR3 6TB HDD+128GB SSD HDD Capacity NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB Windows 10 64-Bit. AKAI EIE PRO Sound Interface. BIAB/RB 2016

#112571 - 04/25/11 02:42 PM Re: Cubase LE 5 [Re: MikeK]
Muzic Trax Offline

Loc: California
I have it installed and piddled with it when I installed it. Other then that, it has sat on my desktop. No need to reinvent the wheel when recording, PG software still shines

#112572 - 04/25/11 09:19 PM Re: Cubase LE 5 [Re: Tobias]
Tobias Offline

Loc: Way too close to Palm Springs,...
Thanks for you opinions. I think I'll leave it on the shelf for now. Perhaps if I find I need some feature I don't already have in PTPA, Audacity, or NTrack I'll google it to see if it has what I'm looking for and if it's worth installing then.
Does the noise in your head bother me ?

#112573 - 04/25/11 09:26 PM Re: Cubase LE 5 [Re: Tobias]
Matt Finley Offline

Loc: Hudson Valley & Lake George NY
Very sensible decision.
BIAB 2015 Windows Audiophile, SONAR Platinum, Adobe Audition, Ozone, Windows 10 64-bit. Focusrite 18i20, Roland Integra-7, TCE Finalizer. V-Control Pro with iPad for remote triggering.

#112574 - 04/26/11 08:53 AM Re: Cubase LE 5 [Re: Matt Finley]
Notes Norton Offline

Loc: Fort Pierce, Florida, U.S.A.
I was given Cubase LE4 with a guitar pedal I bought as a 'freebie'.

Here is my advice: Make a backup disk image before you try to install it if you decide to do so.

I was curious and started the installation. The first thing it did was install the copy protection, what it called a "software dongle". The installation stalled and locked up my computer - frozen solid.

So I restart, and during the boot up process, as Windows is loading, it asks me to complete the installation - same results - frozen solid.

Third time, same thing.

Couldn't get Windows to finish loading so System Restore was out of the question. I guess I could have tried booting in the safe mode, but I made a complete Norton Ghost image before installing the software (something I always do before installing anything). So I restored the HD to it's pre-installation condition and tossed the CD in the trash.

Why did they put copy protection on something they are giving away for free? I have no idea.

I've been having problems with my favorite sequencer, Master Tracks Pro. Ever since GVox bought it there have been serious bugs in the software that haven't been addressed for years. So I was curious to see if Cubase would fill my needs. If I liked LE4 I would have bought the regular edition. Unfortunately for Cubase, I didn't get to try it, so they have no chance of selling me the full edition.

Insights and incites by Notes ♫
Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks

#112575 - 04/27/11 04:45 AM Re: Cubase LE 5 [Re: Notes Norton]
musiclover Offline

Loc: Ireland
I have cubase 5 and though I only use and understand the basic features of it I like it a lot. The older version vst of cubase going back maybe 7 years ago was hard to understand but not the modern day versions. The GUI on cubase in my opinion is well ahead of realband, little things like the mixer in realband with its little fiddly knobs to turn, is well behind cubase with its nice layout a dream to work with. If I was you Tobias I'd at least load it up on a machine and see what you think, maybe you will like it a lot.

That said there are things in realband that cubase can't do like the generation of realtrakcs etc so I use both, but always finish up importing everything into cubase.

My music

#112576 - 04/27/11 12:25 PM Re: Cubase LE 5 [Re: Notes Norton]
PgFantastic Offline

Loc: Kentucky
I use Cubase Le4, which was packaged with my Zoomr16. It does have a learning curve to it but it is worth learning it. Very powerful. I hope this helps. If you have any questions private message me and I will try to help you out. I hope this helps!

My Music Reverbnation
My Music Myspace
Read My Blog
My Tunes

Psalm 57:7 My heart, O God, is steadfast, my heart is steadfast; I will sing and make music.

#112577 - 04/27/11 02:19 PM Re: Cubase LE 5 [Re: PgFantastic]
Ryszard Offline

Loc: Kennesaw (Atlanta) GA
I received a copy of Steinberg Cubase LE with my TASCAM US-224 I/O and control surface. It appears to be fully featured apart from having only one level of Undo, which is remedied by saving takes (and taking lots of notes). I was intimidated by it for a while, but it offers full automation, a complete set of effects and plug-ins, MIDI and WAV editing, and allows the use of sound fonts, to name the highlights. There was no copy protection, and the TASCAM itself is the dongle, so there were no issues with installation.

Imagine my surprise when I later got a copy of Nuendo, Cubie's big brudda, and found the interface to be virtually identical. Cut your teeth on Real Band or whatever you like, but when you need more, give Cubase another look.

"My primary musical instrument is the personal computer."

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box 2016 for Windows is Here!

We're excited to release the brand new Band-in-a-Box 2016 & RealBand 2016 for Windows!
(With a fresh new look...)

Some of the 50 New Features released with this version include:

-The StylePicker has been redesigned and enhanced, and the Chord Sheet is also enhanced with a new look, feel, and customization options.
-You can now load and save MusicXML files!
-There's improvements to the Import Audio feature; we've improved the Audio Edit Window, the Main Menu has been redesigned/re-organized, and SO MUCH MORE!

Check out all the new features:

With the release of Version 2016, there are 201 NEW RealTracks being added to our library! Plus, there are an additional 24 Bonus RealTracks, 2 Artist Video Performances, 8 MIDI SuperTracks, and 15 Instrumental Studies available in the 49-PAK!

Of course, we're offering phenomenal pricing on Upgrade packages, and a FREE Bonus PAK is included with most purchases! All of the purchase options can be viewed here.

Video - Using Drag-and-Drop in Band-in-a-Box 2015 for Mac

One of the GUI Enhancements added with Band-in-a-Box 2015 for Mac was to the Drop Station.
Now a folder opens after copying to drop box, Drag Drop or another folder.

We've made a short (7:23) video showing how to use Drag-and-Drop in Band-in-a-Box 2015 for Mac, here.

There are even more video resources available that touch on the Drag-and-Drop feature!
Band-in-a-Box for Mac - Exporting songs to DAWs
Drag-and-Drop with Band-in-a-Box!

#MotivationMonday: Your Video Testimonial = a FREE Band-in-a-Box EverythingPAK!

This summer we began a Video Testimonials project, and reached out to Band-in-a-Box users requesting a 2-10 minute video telling the viewer about their Band-in-a-Box experience.

And... we got a GREAT response! Check out all of the current Video Testimonials here:

But, we're not done! If you'd like to submit a video, we'd love to see it! AND - if we use your video we will send you a FREE Band-in-a-Box EverythingPAK!

Visit this forum post for more information.

Making Medleys with Band-in-a-Box

RealTracks Medleys are special groups of RealTracks that play in sequence. This tutorial shows you how to make your own medleys with the RealTracks feature in Band-in-a-Box:

When it comes to Medleys, we don't stop there! With a previous release of Band-in-a-Box Version 2008 for Windows, we added a feature called the Medley Maker. This feature is great tool if you are wanting to make a medley of various songs you've created with Band-in-a-Box!

Inside the Medley Maker, which is accessed through the Song Form [AABA] button (the one with the pencil), simply select the songs that you want, and Band-in-a-Box will make the medley for you. A medley is not simply joining songs together - a good medley uses a "transition" area between songs to introduce the new style, key, and tempo. The Medley Maker automatically creates a nice transition area for you, writing in chords that would smoothly transition to the next song, style, key, and tempo!

The 2008 New Features Video is available here:

Video - Instant Preview Feature in Band-in-a-Box 2015 for Mac

Another one of the new features released with Band-in-a-Box 2015 was the Instant Preview feature, which is highlighted in this video:

The Instant Preview works with UserTracks, Loops, RealTracks, and SuperTracks!

#TBT - The 2002 Release of PowerTracks Pro Audio 8!

In June of 2002 we released PowerTracks Pro Audio 8. There were more than 30 new features for seamlessly integrated MIDI/Digital Audio music production released at that time - take a look at the video highlighting the "new" version:

The "New Features" released with PowerTracks Pro Audio 8.0 Included...
New 32-bit Version! PowerTracks Pro Audio 8.0 has been totally rebuilt as a full 32-bit engine for seamless operation in Windows 98/ME/2000/XP.
Amazing New Chord Wizard! Load in any MIDI file, PowerTracks MIDI sequence file, or even a work-in-progress, and the amazing New Chord Wizard will intelligently figure out the chords and display them in the Notation Window and the new Chords Window. Chord symbols are an essential component of playing by ear, so most musicians who play by ear should find this new feature indispensable! The New Chords Window displays the chords in a selectable font and size, and is fully editable. It also has part markers (compatible with Band-in-a-Box) so that you can easily mark sections of your sequence.
Real Time DirectX Effects! PowerTracks Pro Audio 8.0 supports real time DirectX effects for live playback and monitoring, and even includes loads of great effects for free! PowerTracks also has real time DirectX plug-in groups in which up to four chained plug-ins can be used at once. Effects groups can be saved and loaded along with their settings, making it easy to use the same settings with multiple projects. The postproduction DirectX window also supports effects chains with up to four plug-ins.

FREE DirectX Plug-ins!
Awesome Audio Features!
Updated MIDI Features!
Enhanced Notation Features!
...and (of course) MUCH MORE!

Click here to learn more about PowerTracks Pro Audio 8.

Emailing Your Band-in-a-Box Song

One of the many new features we added with Band-in-a-Box 2015 for Mac was the "Email Song as Attachments" feature, which will come in handy - we promise!

The Email Song dialog allows you to choose what files you want to email:
- the song (.MGU or .SGU)
- the style (.STY)
- the extended style (.STX) (if any)
- a rendered audio file (choice of AIFF, M4A, WAV)
- Audio track (if any)
- Performance track (if any)
Pressing the [Send Email] button will launch your default mail application and prepare a new message with files attached.

You can also email a Drop station file. After you drag a track button to the Drop station, right-click on the Drop station and select the Email the drop station file menu item.

Check out the 2015 New Features video clip (@ 44 min): and Tobin will show you how!
(it's a really quick clip - just 40 seconds is all you'll need!)

Forum Stats
23857 Members
37 Forums
36222 Topics
287629 Posts

Max Online: 1591 @ 03/15/15 04:12 PM
Newest Members
Steve13, BobF, Paul Wickham, tuvwxy163700, zyt123

23857 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Matt Finley 223
PeterGannon 186