Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#316505 10/31/15 04:11 PM
User Showcase
RichMac Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Uh oh. Another fishy tale. Hope you enjoy it. Let me know what you think anyway. Cheers.

https://soundcloud.com/tuigorge/bad-moon-risin-wrong-509024

Drums - Nashville even 8
Bass - RT 521 - Pop synch
Guitar - RT 1718 - Texas blues- Brent
Sax - RT 2355 - straight blues - baritone - Gary

First time I heard Creedence
Bristol Frieghter bogged in the landing paddock. 4*4 across the lake in a gale. At the wharf theres the seabelle. Jump on the bow with my duffle and crash through the slop to Port Hutt. Tied up to the fuel barge the anchor was lost. Settled in strange for the night, old coal range, a gale rattling the hatches filling the focsle with smoke. Bad news in the morning Kea was gone the convoy was shattered lost in the night with twelve men she turned for the bay rolled and was gone. Never saw any again. Another vessel from the convoy smashed on the beach also with three downed. The Tusitala left on the tail of the blow loaded with pots for the north. Fought her way from the bay dissapeared in the spray never to be seen again so we'll raft up the boats and all get drunk and we'll fish if we can in the morning. Didn't realise for a while I was crewing on the local pirate boat. We were out in the gale lifting pots that's when I heard Bad Moon Rising for the first time.

Bad Moon Rising Wrong

Black full moon and a ragin gale sleet and slush rain and hail
Wild wet landing bogged down wheel like trekkin tired in a battle field
Wind sharp cutting eyeballs ache big truck sliding swampy lake
Barren wharf jumped and fell hit the bow on the old Sea-belle

Bucked and rolled white caps charged Port Hutt snug by the old fuel barge
First time crew on a company boat nothing to say but thats all she wrote
Black water sucks fire below banshee wind unhinged blow
Morning gossip crying bad boats are gone good men dead

Convoy landfall late last night howlin storm was at it's height
Kea turned to make the bay slipped the tow and shot a-way
Rolled and sunk and dissap-peared swallowed whole no time for fear
No trace of her was ever found or the 12 that come to fishing grounds

Same dark night a-nother tow no-one heard or saw her go
Morning wreckage in the bay meant 3 more lives gone a-stray
Small boat big load heavy gear headed north diss-appeared
Found no wreckage lost 2 more men heavy price been paid a-gain

Raft the boats we'll drink for days then go to work in our different ways
Rude awakening one big shock cold and wet on a sliding deck
We only work wildest weather when the prudent run for shelter
Rob their gear in screaming gales cash is king we're hard as nails

Outside the reef heaving sea flying spray just like me
Creedence howlin spooky song a-bout a Bad Moon Rising wrong
Not a thief great relief to get dumped ashore with-out much grief
drag my swag bleak old pub the next plane home to life and love

Last edited by RichMac; 10/31/15 04:13 PM.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Richard,

Is this a true, personal story or some background writing in preparation for writing lyrics? It's very powerful.

The arrangement is an interesting tussle between a happy and upbeat backing and a tale of tragedy. Yet again you push those boundaries of convention in a way that has become your songwriting trademark. I think it's really commendable that you experiment so freely. There are some terrific images in these lyrics... a very visual journey.

I enjoyed the listen.

All the best,
Noel

P.S. Just in case this is of interest... a little while after I wrote the above, "Brandy, You're A Fine Girl" (original version) popped into my mind. Here's a link to Kenny Chesney's version, too; he does a great job singing it. The reason I mention this song is because it's similar to yours in that it's also an interesting tug-of-war between a happy, enthusiastic style (disco) and a not-so-happy theme (lost/unrequited love).

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
User Showcase
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
An excellent story song. With your distinct voice, this is similar in style to some of the songs actor/celebrity Walter Brennan did years ago.

Enjoyed this.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Richard,

again a very strong story with powerful
pictures.
I enjoyed my listen.

Guenter

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Good one Rich. Port Hutt looks like a very interesting place, especially if you're a fisherman!

Regards,

Bob

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Rich,
What an incredible way to introduce this song. cool
Quote:
Bristol Frieghter bogged in the landing paddock. 4*4 across the lake in a gale. At the wharf theres the seabelle. Jump on the bow with my duffle and crash through the slop to Port Hutt. Tied up to the fuel barge the anchor was lost. Settled in strange for the night, old coal range, a gale rattling the hatches filling the focsle with smoke. Bad news in the morning Kea was gone the convoy was shattered lost in the night with twelve men she turned for the bay rolled and was gone. Never saw any again. Another vessel from the convoy smashed on the beach also with three downed. The Tusitala left on the tail of the blow loaded with pots for the north. Fought her way from the bay dissapeared in the spray never to be seen again so we'll raft up the boats and all get drunk and we'll fish if we can in the morning. Didn't realise for a while I was crewing on the local pirate boat. We were out in the gale lifting pots that's when I heard Bad Moon Rising for the first time.

and then there's the song cool You have certainly developed your own incredible style.
The lyrics are a modern abstract poem put to music.
In my opinion the intro AND then the song should ALWAYS go together

A few years ago I used to occasionally frequent a "poetry and folk" club where one was booed off stage if you did a cover, everything HAD to be an original. The intro then the song ie this masterpiece would have ensured that you received a standing ovation and your right hand would be red raw, afterwards, from being shaken so you would have had to drink all the free drinks left-handed. All I got was a "hmm that was different" laugh grin

I enjoyed that a lot.
can't wait to hear what you produce next!

Alyn

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle
An excellent story song. With your distinct voice, this is similar in style to some of the songs actor/celebrity Walter Brennan did years ago.

Enjoyed this.

I agree but I will add that your vocals are better than Brennans. Also I think you tell a better story.

I enjoyed this one.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
User Showcase
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Originally Posted By: MarioD

I agree but I will add that your vocals are better than Brennans. Also I think you tell a better story.

I enjoyed this one.

Yes, Mario. This is not only a better vocal, but I don't think Walter Brennan wrote his own material like RichMac does....

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
User Showcase
RichMac Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Hi Noel. All true and to the best of my recollections. More of a documentary about my first short trip to the Chathams. Never felt so alive. There was always drama during my 6 years there. Forgotten 95% of the stories but still remember a few incidents.

The only mention I can find of the convoy disaster.
http://www.seafoodnewzealand.org.nz/fileadmin/documents/seafood-magazine/SNZ-october-2012.pdf
Page 31 - 32 an article about the navigator on the convoy.

And thanks for the links to Brandy. Had heard it before but never listened to the lyrics. They are very fine.
Much enjoyed. Cheers.

User Showcase
RichMac Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Hi Charlie. Thanks for reminding me about Walter Brennan. Was a favourite of mine long ago and i have a vinyl LP of his somewhere. Must have another listen. Cheers.

User Showcase
RichMac Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Thank you Guenter. The true ones are very easy to write. Glad you enjoyed it. Cheers.

User Showcase
RichMac Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Hi Bob. Port Hutt was fascinating. 50-100 fishing boats jammed in a small harbour. Most rafted up boozing through the bad weather.
Wreck of the Thomas Currell up one end

http://www.trekearth.com/gallery/Oceania/New_Zealand/Other_Islands/Chatham_Islands/Port_Hutt/photo1395210.htm

and a diesel fuel barge in the middle. Us with no anchor always tied alongside another boat or the fuel barge.
Cheers.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle
Originally Posted By: MarioD

I enjoyed this one.

Yes, Mario. This is not only a better vocal, but I don't think Walter Brennan wrote his own material like RichMac does....

I agree!

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
User Showcase
SRP Offline
Journeyman
Journeyman
You are a good storyteller. I enjoy listening to your true stories. Putting it to music really makes it interesting. Keep them coming.
Sonny

User Showcase
RichMac Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Hi Alyn and thanks a lot for your very generous comments.
The trouble with story songs is there is not really room to tell the story properly so it has to be pared to the core. A sort of a zen version. Sometimes a bit of an intro rave helps explain things.

I like the poetry and folk club comments and "Hmmm that was different" certainly has a familiar ring.
Yes and originals are certainly more interesting than copies.
Am going to try for nice in the next song. Nice? Hmmmm. Cheers.

Last edited by RichMac; 11/01/15 10:16 PM.
User Showcase
RichMac Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Hi Mario. Am definitely going to check out Walter Brennan again (theres a couple of thousand LP's to sort through). Guess I will never be a vocalist but will always be myself. We are all quite unique ( particularly the people on this forum) and enjoy doing our thing and seeing what the others come up with. Cheers.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Richard,

Fascinating story. And an excellent write to document it. Amazing.

Very tight band! Well done. And a good mix.

This one has it all.

floyd

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Richard, Only a great storyteller could craft such a compelling intro and then follow it up with a great story-song. I love to listen to how you describe events from your life in your own very personal style of words and music. Great stuff again. Tom

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Richard,

Fascinating story. And an excellent write to document it. Amazing.

Very tight band! Well done. And a good mix.

This one has it all.

floyd

We agree completely!
We might add: your inspiration clearly never runs out grin

Rob and Anne-Marie

We are Rob Meulman and Anne-Marie Bovenkamp from The Netherlands.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1gsdNLE7_Gy8qavoOplQow/videos
http://rnam.net/

User Showcase
G
Veteran
Veteran
G
The arrangement is an interesting tussle between a happy and upbeat backing and a tale of tragedy

Noel's observation was the first thing that struck me as well. The sax sounds very celebratory and the tale is dark. Arrangement is very cool, and your vocals continue to improve! You are certainly among the most colorful writers on the forum! Enjoyed the tune!! Take care. Greg

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,589
Posts734,765
Members38,501
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Krystal Mcclain, Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex
38,500 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 191